HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 3:22 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

MTS has TERRIBLE internet service.

Shaw is so much better.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 5:10 PM
I am a typical

Shaw has a speedboost and throttles file sharing programmes. :\

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
MTS has TERRIBLE internet service.

Shaw is so much better.
All depends on personal experience, where you live and who your neighbours are. I've had good and bad experience with both. MTS has been fantastic here and meets all of my needs at a cheaper price than Shaw, plus I don't have to worry about exceeding Shaw's bandwidth limitations.

I had Shaw cable briefly at this location but the power of the dollar and bundle discounts keeps me with MTS, and I have zero issues with the service provided.

Now, Videon had great service, way better than anything Shaw has ever provided.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 6:29 PM

Shaw in Osborne Village is 10x worse than MTS - too many customers for too few nodes. Horrendous online gaming ping spikes.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 7:44 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

yea shaws got a faulty switch down the hole at the end of my st makes for interesting pings at times... mts has a bad line in my ally cause people keep setting fie to the same dumpster all the time

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 12:14 AM
GQMF

Shaw ftw.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 1:22 AM
ILYR

WINNIPEG PERCEIVED AS CITY WITH ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITY

From Destination Winnipeg
http://www.destinationwinnipeg.ca/news/releases/201

March 23, 2009

Winnipeg, March 23, 2009 – One-third of Canadian adults say they would consider moving to Winnipeg under the right circumstances, citing job and economic opportunities as attractive qualities.

The national survey, released by Destination Winnipeg, polled Canadians on Winnipeg’s image, what they hear about Winnipeg, where their information about Winnipeg came from and whether they would consider moving to Winnipeg.

The survey, conducted in February, showed 13% of Canadians say their perception of Winnipeg is improving, compared with only 4% who say their perception has worsened. (As expected, most say their perception of this city is unchanged.) Friendly people, location/landscape, a beautiful clean city and a thriving arts and culture scene were described as the top positive attributes of Winnipeg.

Destination Winnipeg recognizes that in parts of Canada, there are some negative perceptions about our great city and that many of those perceptions are from people who have never been here. This is an ongoing long-term challenge. However, the research clearly indicates that Canadians who have visited here are much more likely to hold positive impressions, especially in light of Winnipeg’s economic turnaround in the past five years. More positive news about Winnipeg is reaching more Canadians.

Other survey highlights include:

62% of Canadians say job/economic opportunities would be the main reason they would consider moving to Winnipeg.
Nearly one-quarter (24%) of Canadians believe Winnipeg’s economy is in better shape than their own, versus 17% who believe their economy is better.
Western Canadians largely thought their local economy was better; while Ontario, Quebec and Atlantic Canada overwhelmingly believed that Winnipeg’s economy was doing better than their own economy.
34% of Canadian would consider moving to Winnipeg if the right job or lifestyle opportunity became available.
Canadians aged 18-34 were more interested in considering Winnipeg as well as people from Ontario, Saskatchewan and rural Manitoba.
Of those not considering a move, most people pointed to barriers in their own lives rather than perceived shorting comings of Winnipeg – with 35% citing they like their current way of life and 22% citing weather as a factor.
13% of Canadians visited Winnipeg within the last five years, 20% report they visited Winnipeg at some point more than five years ago.
Weather (33%) and Sports (10%), were cited as the last thing read, heard or seen about Winnipeg.
41% of information about Winnipeg came from television reports, with newspapers (19%), word of mouth (16%) and internet (8%) being the next closest sources of information.
“There are encouraging trends in this national survey on perceptions of Winnipeg in most parts of Canada. It is important to notice that those Canadians who have been to Winnipeg hold a more positive impression of the city than those who have yet to visit, commented Scott MacKay, President of Probe Research Inc. “The number of Canadians willing to consider the city for job opportunities is also positive for Winnipeg’s relatively stronger economy at this time, particularly the fact that one-half of younger adults (18-34) would consider the city for the right job.”

The national survey was designed by Probe Research and Destination Winnipeg and represents a random sampling of 1,000 Canadians. Results are 95% certain within ± 3.1 % of what they would be if the entire Canadian population was interviewed.

These surveys, as well as other research Destination Winnipeg conducts, are part of the market research mix utilized for initiatives. These survey results were useful, for example, in the Find Your Place Here awareness campaign targeted in southern Ontario. This is a sizeable region relatively open to Winnipeg, but largely not aware of what the city has to offer.

See link for pdf file with more details
http://www.destinationwinnipeg.ca/fi...l%20Survey.pdf

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 1:30 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Good stuff!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 2:38 AM
Capitalist

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 2:51 PM
Armchair urbanist

Glowing review for hotels
Winnipeg's some of best performers across Canada

By: Murray McNeill

WINNIPEG has one of the best performing hotel sectors in the country, according to a new industry report issued Wednesday.

Colliers International says in its 2008 hotels report that Winnipeg had the second biggest increase in hotel valuations in 2008, at 3.3 per cent, and is forecast to have the second biggest increase in 2009, at 2.3 per cent.

The only market to boast better numbers is Regina/Saskatoon, with an increase of 6.2 per cent last year and a projected gain of 3.5 per cent this year.

Hotel values are based on a combination of factors, including the operating performance of a market, industry trends, and the return expectations of investors.

Alam Pirani, executive managing director with Colliers International Hotels, said operating performance takes into account things like revenue growth, and Winnipeg's hotel sector rang up revenue growth of 9.5 per cent in 2009. That was second only to Saskatoon's 16 per cent.

"Winnipeg has had a good run -- six consecutive years of growth (in hotel values)," Pirani said. "And that (9.5 per cent growth in revenues) is a great number."

He attributed the strong growth to a combination of factors, including a strong local economy, which tends to lead to more business and leisure travel.

Winnipeg also has a relatively stable hotel market that isn't plagued by an oversupply of rooms, which drives down both occupancy rates and room rates, Pirani said.

The chairman of the Manitoba's largest hotel chain -- Canad Inns -- confirmed in an interview this week that it's posting some strong numbers in spite of the economic downtown in Canada.

"We haven't taken a hit yet," Leo Ledohowski said.

He said the chain's revenues in January were "way above" those for January 2008. February's were on par with a year earlier, and "March looks like we're on track to match last year's March," he said.

He also attributed it in part to the relative strength of the Manitoba economy, as well as in North Dakota, where Canad Inns also has a hotel.

The Colliers report also examined the average value per room in each regional hotel market in Canada. That figure is based on the dollar value of hotel transactions in each region in 2008, and Manitoba's price per room last year increased by 3.8 per cent to $83,700 in 2008. That was the fourth highest average among the seven regions covered in the report.

However, Parani noted the Manitoba figure is based on only one hotel transaction in 2008 -- the sale of the 263 room Radison Hotel Winnipeg Downtown for $22 million.

With only one transaction for the entire year, "it (the 3.8 per cent increase) is not a good indicator" of the state of the hotel valuations here, he said.

The Colliers report said the Canadian hotel industry saw $1.1 billion in sales of existing operations last year, down 77 per cent from a year earlier.

This worked out to $116,500 per room, a decline of 25 per cent from 2007.

Bill Stone, Colliers' executive managing director, said the overall reduction reflected diminishing credit availability and the fact the economy took a sharp turn for the worse in 2008.

"Certainly for the first half -- almost seven months -- of (2008), activity remained strong, and then there was a pullback," Stone said. "So I think we really felt the effects of what's been happening globally."

That said, Stone said there's been renewed interest from potential buyers in recent weeks. He attributed this partially to new assets becoming available as some owners have large amounts of debt or expensive renovation projects coming due.

-- With files from Canwest News Service

murray.mcneill@freepres.mb.ca

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 1:28 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
Glowing review for hotels
Winnipeg's some of best performers across Canada
When is Winnipeg going to actually get some high end hotels?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 3:15 PM
The Loyal Opposition

I see that Google is coming to Winnipeg, and 10 other Canadian cities "in the coming weeks" to film Google Street View.

The privacy concerns don't bug me personally.

What's funny, though, is that they'll be filming Winnipeg at a time when there are no leaves on the trees and brown grass; and the sand, dirt and accumulated random crap from the winter will still be everywhere!

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/st...w.html?ref=rss

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
I see that Google is coming to Winnipeg, and 10 other Canadian cities "in the coming weeks" to film Google Street View.

The privacy concerns don't bug me personally.

What's funny, though, is that they'll be filming Winnipeg at a time when there are no leaves on the trees and brown grass; and the sand, dirt and accumulated random crap from the winter will still be everywhere!

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/st...w.html?ref=rss
yeah what a horrible time to be filming our streets, it should be done in June. I'm not concerned over privacy either. I kinda wish I knew when they would be by my place so I can stand on the front porch with my kids and dog and wave at them! or maybe moon them (of course I would make sure my kids were inside if I did that )

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 4:26 PM

The Free Press hopes you believe in Winnipeg too

The Winnipeg Free Press and the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce plan to launch a new campaign to get the city to feel good about itself.

"We Believe in Winnipeg" will see a series of stories about successes in the city run over several months, beginning on April 12.

"We need to keep reminding ourselves we live in one of the best places on Earth," Free Press co-owner Bob Silver told a business audience at a breakfast this morning.

The effort is not a marketing campaign, said chamber president Dave Angus.

Similar campaigns in the past included Love Me, Love My Winnipeg in the 1980s and 100 Reasons to Love Winnipeg in the 1990s.

Silver and Angus said Winnipeg needs to get over its inferiority complex and do a better job of trumpeting its success stories.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 4:55 PM
Armchair urbanist

Google will be here "in the coming weeks", so hopefully it'll be later than sooner. At least the beginning of May would be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Silver and Angus said Winnipeg needs to get over its inferiority complex and do a better job of trumpeting its success stories.
to that!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 7:15 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
The Free Press hopes you believe in Winnipeg too

The Winnipeg Free Press and the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce plan to launch a new campaign to get the city to feel good about itself.

"We Believe in Winnipeg" will see a series of stories about successes in the city run over several months, beginning on April 12.

"We need to keep reminding ourselves we live in one of the best places on Earth," Free Press co-owner Bob Silver told a business audience at a breakfast this morning.

The effort is not a marketing campaign, said chamber president Dave Angus.

Similar campaigns in the past included Love Me, Love My Winnipeg in the 1980s and 100 Reasons to Love Winnipeg in the 1990s.

Exactly!

People should stop whining and do something about it to make our city better!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 4:34 AM
I am a typical

Google's Street View car has gone right up to the border at Grand Portage and Sault. Ste Marie, I figured they already got the Canadian photos and were just waiting for some legal stuff to clear up to post them.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 7:40 PM
ILYR

WINNIPEG – AN ECONOMIC GROWTH LEADER IN CANADA IN 2008

March 27, 2009

WINNIPEG, March 27, 2009 – Today Destination Winnipeg released its Quarterly Economic Highlights for the fourth quarter of 2008 with data covering the year as a whole. Continuing the city’s roll in the past five years, Winnipeg had another solid year overall on the economic front in 2008.

Among the highlights:
• The Conference Board of Canada’s Metropolitan Outlook Winter 2009 projects Winnipeg’s real GDP at 2.7% in 2008, well above the national average of only 0.6%. This is the 4th highest of 27 Canadian cities and highest of all major cities (over 500,000 population).
• Retail sales were strong, projected to increase 7% in 2008, the highest growth rate of all major cities in Canada.
• The Winnipeg economy continues to create jobs, with over 6,500 net new jobs in 2008. The Conference Board of Canada noted that Winnipeg’s solid economic growth in recent years has led to steady employment expansion, with more than 20,000 jobs created between 2005 and 2008.
• The Winnipeg REALTORS® reported record dollar volumes of over $2.4 billion in 2008, up 9% from the previous year.
• Building permit values in Winnipeg hit the $1 billion mark for the first time, growing by 15% in 2008 – the best growth rate of major cities in Canada.
• The unemployment rate lowered to 4.3% for the year, consistently among the lowest unemployment rates in the country.
• Personal disposable income was projected to increase a solid 4%.
• While manufacturing shipments declined across Canada, shipments from Manitoba manufacturers experienced slight growth in 2008.

Destination Winnipeg’s Quarterly Economic Highlights provides recently available, straightforward statistical information from a Winnipeg perspective. Quarterly Economic Highlights provide concise analysis of a number of economic indicators, trends, comparative city data, labour and real estate and construction numbers. The 4th Quarter report covers data from 2008 and the sector spotlight is on the tourism industry. Winnipeg’s tourism sector brings in well over $500 million annually in direct visitor expenditures and represents nearly 14,000 jobs. In 2007, Winnipeg had the best growth rate of major cities in Canada in terms of overnight visitor expenditures and in 2008 experienced overall growth in the local tourism sector.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 7:43 PM

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 4:39 AM
Capitalist

Coming Home - Return of the Capitalist

They say there is a time for everything and in one aspect this time has come. It has been a long time in the making, but I am ecstatic to announce I will be coming home to Manitoba. A very good opportunity has presented itself and it took me very little time to jump on it. (very little time) I have been all smiles since, not just because of the excellent career opportunity, but also because I am looking forward to my return to the Manitoba lifestyle. It will be great to be back!!

My departure has highlighted how good Winnipeg really has it. I have a renewed appreciation of the Winnipeg quality of life and hope to be taking in many of the great attributes it has to offer, including the many cultural entertainment options. I also hope to be at the opening game of the Goldeyes and even looking forward to what I am expecting to be a fairly rough year for the Blue. I am really looking forward to those long summer days on those great Manitoba beaches this summer.

Since I moved from Winnipeg a few years ago I have noticed the level of business confidence in the city has climb significantly. From what I have seen myself and have heard during some very meaningful discussions, it is evident things are definitely going in the right direction. Winnipeg’s economy is really gaining momentum, even during a horrible recession and I give Sam Katz a great deal of the credit for focusing much of his efforts on building the local economy. In my opinion, the future of Winnipeg is now looking much brighter. I am looking forward to seeing this momentum continue as the city becomes a more attractive place to invest …. and I am also looking to being part of this strong environment in the years to come.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan