HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 9:01 PM
It's Hammer Time

So it sounds like they are planning a PATH verision like for downtown Hamilton with the LRT. That would be very nice.

They should include an underground link from McMaster University's Downtown Centre to Gore Park as well.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 4:19 AM

It sounds like the underground A line and walkway from Hunter to Main were design exercises, rather than actual plans. The "Money is no object" criteria is a little bit unrealistic don't you think?

Still, I'm happy to see metrolynx take such an active role. They've certainly got the right philosophy. But I'm shocked that an arms-length unelected board have been given so much planning power by the province. The cynical me thinks that the setup allows McGuinty to cut them loose should the voters revolt.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 11:23 AM
It's Hammer Time

City transit to fill 'nodes' Council to vote on airport link

June 25, 2008
Rob Faulkner
The Hamilton Spectator

City council is expected tonight to fill one of the gaps in city transit, starting work on a north-south express A-line similar to the popular east-west B-line between McMaster University and Eastgate Square.

The A-line -- to link the airport and downtown in fall 2009 with the addition of $16.5 million worth of new buses -- helps create a more consistent network, says transit director Don Hull.

It comes as municipal transit gaps -- and historic underinvestment -- draw the attention of local observers, city staff and regional planners at the provincial agency Metrolinx.

"It's the first time in my career, and I've had a fairly lengthy one, that provincial, federal and municipal governments all align and are very supportive of enhanced public transit," Hull said.

Metrolinx was created by the government of Ontario to develop and implement a transportation system for the greater Toronto-Hamilton looking ahead 25 years.

In its latest white paper, Metrolinx notes that socio- economically disadvantaged groups are not well-served by transit and are isolated from employment areas.

After lobbying by citizens and Environment Hamilton, HSR determined that the Keith neighbourhood was underserved. This week, the first transit line added to the lower city in 25 years began life as the 12-Wentworth route.

Notable gaps still exist in the HSR web, including a lack of service to areas identified as "nodes" that will be a focus of future transit use.

"We've got four key nodes that are not being served right now: the airport, the waterfront, Ancaster business park, Stoney Creek business park, so those are foundation nodes we have to get service to."

Hull said another gap is in former municipalities. Outlying areas like Dundas and Flamborough pay less and get less HSR service than do city residents.

"The old municipalities and the tax structure still operate as six municipalities instead of one, so people in Stoney Creek pay a third of the transit tax rate of people in Hamilton," said Don McLean, of Environment Hamilton.

McLean, who doesn't own a car, says it's a challenge for Stoney Creek residents to travel all the way out Barton to Stoney Creek or to get north of the QEW.

Moving from one spot to another on the Mountain is tricky, because you may need to go toward downtown and then double back south again due to the radial nature of HSR, with downtown as a centre.

On weekends, for example, the 5 Delaware bus won't take a student from McMaster to Ancaster's Meadowlands power centre where they may want to see a movie.

"Getting people to work has been the priority. Weekend and evening service tends to be much less," McLean said.

"It says simply that we have been underfunding our transit for a long time."

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 7:27 PM
On Guard For Thee

Did Don Mclean just suggest Mac students should see movies in Ancaster instead of downtown?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 7:57 PM
It's Hammer Time

GO Transit will use new streamlined environmental assessment process to study upcoming projects

TORONTO, June 25, 2008 /CNW/ - GO Transit is pleased that the Ontario government has approved a revised, streamlined six-month environmental assessment (EA) process for transit projects in the Greater Toronto Area. GO plans to submit several upcoming improvement projects for study under the new process.

"We recognize the important role GO plays in preserving our environment," said GO Transit Chairman Peter Smith. "The Ontario government wants GO to expand, and this streamlined EA process is a strong signal that they are cutting out red tape to make it happen."

The first project GO will submit under the revised EA process is the proposed expansion of rail service on the Milton line. The study will explore introducing all-day, two-way GO Train service to meet demand.

GO will also submit its proposed Lakeshore East train service extension to Bowmanville for assessment under the new process. GO Trains currently run as far east as Oshawa, with GO Buses offering connections east to Bowmanville.

With the six-month EA process for transit projects, GO will be able to more promptly improve and expand transit options for commuters across the GTA and Hamilton.

"We would like to express our thanks to Environment Minister John Gerretsen and to Transportation Minister Jim Bradley for making this happen.

GO Transit is always looking for ways to improve service for our customers, and this shorter EA process will really help," said Smith.

GO Transit is the Province of Ontario's interregional public transit system linking Toronto with the surrounding regions of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). GO carries more than 50 million passengers a year in an extensive network of train and bus services that spans over 8,000 square kilometres.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 8:22 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcarsfreedom View Post
Did Don Mclean just suggest Mac students should see movies in Ancaster instead of downtown?
no, he said that some of them DO see movies out there. As far as I know, its the only Silvercity in the area. I hate it, so JS suits me fine, but his point is well-taken.
It's 7 minutes to get there by car from Mac, and over an hour on the bus...when the bus actually runs.
Transit needs to be improved in order to be a viable alternative to the car.
I agree.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 10:13 PM
On Guard For Thee

It seems to run counter to everything he espouses--since there is retail and entertainment downtown which is easily accessible by transit. I respect that you appreciate Mclean--nonetheless, his comments seem to be increasingly skewed, unpredictable and comical. Though I dare not drift off the message track of this particular thread--his recent airport-related article was completely inventive (invented) journalism--when you have to warp reality and use selective data (a la CATCH) to make your point--I don't understand how you can then claim to be above the fray.

Since the Red Hill battle was fought and lost he now seems to be bent on weighing on every other topic that creeps up--whether he's truly informed on said topic or not. Please appreciate that I made my comment with a degree of sarcasm--given Mclean's history I find it ironic that his statement on transit improvement revolves around providing a link to the Meadowlands--I'm not sure what to make of it--a tacit admission that it's a popular destination or merely a man more eager to critcize than to think critically.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 10:18 PM
Closed account

I think you're simply bashing him because you don't like and respect him.
To suggest that he's offering a mixed message by promoting transit improvements is laughable. He's been a champion of transit in Hamilton as long and as vocally as anyone. His track record on wanting a better transit system could fill a texbook.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 10:39 PM
On Guard For Thee

RTH--I don't bash, with all do respect. Mclean's recent article (posted on this site) in regard to the airport showed him to be someone willing to advance his agenda at all costs--up to an including using ridiculous "facts" and spin to make an indefensible point. I'm not going to repeat the aviation-related arguments that have been repeated here time and again--it's a waste of my energy--and runs the risk of pulling this thread "dangerously" off-track--for which I will be publically flogged.

Mclean--in fact anyone who chooses hyperbole over critical thought--will not gain my respect or admiration whether I am in agreement with them or not. Wanting a better transit system is great--I'm all for that--in fact, I think LRT service would be a real 'game-changer' for downtown--nonetheless, his suggestion that better links are needed between Mac and a Power Center?...if I didn't read the quote myself I wouldn't believe it. When I was a University student--if I wanted to go somewhere bad enough--I would sit on the damn bus for an hour if I had to--or I would choose somewhere I could get to more easily (or walk to). Considering there are far more glaring deficiencies in the local transit system--his choice of criticism is apalling.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 12:24 AM
Closed account

bash...sorry, poor choice of words.

At any rate, to each their own. I think MacLean has been absolutely consistent on this issue.
He lives in Stoney Creek and constantly references the long commute via bus. You make it sound like he's always been downtown-focused with respect to transit.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcarsfreedom View Post
or I would choose somewhere I could get to more easily (or walk to).
I couldn't agree more, and it was certainly an interesting example. i.e. we should provide better transit service to a place that was designed and serves cars. If it's too hard/long to get to the Ancaster power centre then go downtown........

Soon, they'll be talking about providing better transit to the new Wal-mart to be built at Centennial Parkway. You know the Wal-mart, the one which relocated away from the Eastgate Mall and it's established transit terminal............

Now, back to topic

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 2:42 PM

I have not seen eye-to-eye on a few of Don McLean's opinions in the past, but his point on public transit is valid. Service between West Hamilton and Ancaster definitely requires improvement. Period. Students who live in Ancaster should be able to get to Mac quickly easily by public transit. And people who want to see a movie at the SilverCity should be able to get there without having to drive, be they students, senior citizens, or your average adult wanting to take in a few beer at the pub once the show is out.

While harsly worded, I believe RTH was still pretty much bang-on about the motives to criticize McLean on this one. The criticism was directed at who was speaking and not what he had to say. So, what are the arguments against improving transit between Mac and Ancaster?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 4:17 PM

Can someone refresh my memory as it pertains to the B line?

Would LRT be run 2 way along Main, or would they use King street running west from the Delta to Paradise?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 4:25 PM
Closed account

^^ according to the original plans, and what makes sense IMO, it' 2-3 lanes along Main dedicated in most parts to LRT tracks/stns/parking.

The other 2-3 lanes would be 'general purpose' lanes aka for driving.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
^^ according to the original plans, and what makes sense IMO, it' 2-3 lanes along Main dedicated in most parts to LRT tracks/stns/parking.

The other 2-3 lanes would be 'general purpose' lanes aka for driving.
Would King and Main remain one-way?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 5:26 PM
Closed account

all that is still up for discussion...it might be two-way on Main, it might run on both King and Main. This is where all the suburban car-addicts will come out of the woodwork defending their 'right' to scream through the city like animals.

ps...re: earlier discussion. My haircutting lady lives in Ancaster and works downtown. Why does she not deserve better than the long 1.5 hour ride into work everyday? I realize if someone chooses to live out there it won't be as convenient as downtown, but there's no reason that trip can't be cut in half by bus/LRT.
Suburban Boston it's easier and usually quicker to get downtown via transit than by car.
That's how it should be.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
no, he said that some of them DO see movies out there. As far as I know, its the only Silvercity in the area. I hate it, so JS suits me fine, but his point is well-taken.
It's 7 minutes to get there by car from Mac, and over an hour on the bus...when the bus actually runs.
Transit needs to be improved in order to be a viable alternative to the car.
I agree.
It's twenty minutes tops from Mac to Meadowlands.
Meadowlands is also the closest large-scale commercial district to McMaster. I often go up there for school supplies (Staples), Zellers, International Clothiers or Winners.

I've spoke to a few store managers up there who'd love to hire McMaster students but can't because of the lack of weekend service.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 2:00 AM

I swear I used to see a 16 Ancaster bus at Mac. But that was 4 or 5 years ago.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyColeman View Post
It's twenty minutes tops from Mac to Meadowlands.
About 21-22 from centre of Mac to Meadowlands end of line, scheduled travel time. More in rush hours when Mac is in, but definitely less at night. And the "hour" reference was very likely about having to travel through downtown on weekends.
There's talk that there could be weekend service to the Meadowlands in 2009. Funding and drivers (or lack thereof) are the holdups.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 1:00 PM
Closed account

to clarify, I said that my hair-cut lady comes downtown from Ancaster. It's over an hour one-way.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure