HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 2:56 AM

I don't know if this was mentioned earlier, but The RIM went bankrupt.

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sa...16/story6.html

http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlan...6/story14.html

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 5:03 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
I don't know if this was mentioned earlier, but The RIM went bankrupt.

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sa...16/story6.html

http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlan...6/story14.html
You worded that incorrectly. The RIM didn't go bankrupt, it's developer is/did.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 5:52 AM

Quote:
The site plan for the planned office building near the RIM can be found on page 27.

http://epay.sanantonio.gov/dsddocume...A%20Agenda.pdf

A little more information on the project (though full or errors and outdated information):

http://www.arieltexasstar.com/resour...112807-001.pdf
While on the topic of offices at the Rim:
NuStar- I saw the renderings (again) and site plan. The project is two 6 story buildings. The location is going to be on the hill on the east side of I-10 just north of Lowes/Medtronic at the Rim.
There will be a water feature in middle which is a fountain and the backside of the development will have parking garages. As soon as I can post the renderings they will be included in my updates.

The development will include the extension of Talavera Rd (currently behind Medtronic) to Old Camp Bullis Rd. Guess some execs want a quick drive home to the Dominion.

I have heard that groundbreaking could be as early as mid 2010.
Expected move in is mid 2012.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
You worded that incorrectly. The RIM didn't go bankrupt, it's developer is/did.
Even more technical it was the companies that owned the properties (not Thomas Enterprise, the developer). Fourth Quarter Properties (four separate companies owning different sections of land within The RIM) filed for chapter 11. All are owned by Stanley Thomas. In a news story a few months ago Mr. Thomas dismissed any bankruptcy allegations saying he would pay off his debts before they were due.

This will likely halt development of the mall and hotel for a while.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 9:28 AM

What happened to The Rim 200 and 300. These two buildings were designed by Wakefield Beasley and included retail on the ground level with office space above. They also planned to have the same company design buildings 600 and 800.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 2:33 AM

Sardar Biglari, local billionaire investor, purchased 23 acres on I-10 abutting Leon Creek and surrounded by The Rim development. He received a flood plain variation earlier this month on the land that is zone C3. Any idea what the plan for this land is?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 6:33 PM

It appears our transportation representatives are divided. Some
would like to see a vote for light rail after the streetcar service is operational. Others would like to see a vote as early as next year to fund light rail and streetcar at the same time.

I think LSTAR, VIA Primo, light rail, and streetcar should all be pursued at the same time. We have a chance to bring our transportation system well into the future and make an investment that will forever change the way we move about our region. All of these modes of transportation will complement each other and make living in the SA/Austin metros without a car a reality.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 1:13 AM

Quote:
It appears our transportation representatives are divided. Some
would like to see a vote for light rail after the streetcar service is operational. Others would like to see a vote as early as next year to fund light rail and streetcar at the same time.

I think LSTAR, VIA Primo, light rail, and streetcar should all be pursued at the same time. We have a chance to bring our transportation system well into the future and make an investment that will forever change the way we move about our region. All of these modes of transportation will complement each other and make living in the SA/Austin metros without a car a reality.
I think we will see the vote pass and we will see a multi modal system. However, I don't think it will change how EVERYONE moves about the region. I think it will be a tale of two different San Antonios; Urban/Suburban, walkable/auto-centric. That's not a bad thing, but it'll be a cultural shift for many and as maturity of a city goes, it's an overall great thing for San Antonio.
Growth is coming, whether everyone likes it or not. If within the next decade we can see some more growth in the City South area, we will surely begin to see congestion all the way around town. We will begin to see density increase and most of it will be within 410.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 1:30 AM
Paradise

Do you all think that City South can compete with the north side of town? Do you think it could really snag all the new population next?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
Do you all think that City South can compete with the north side of town? Do you think it could really snag all the new population next?
Don't think it will "compete"; I don't see City South moving in 3 or 4 large corporate HQ's. However, I do think that as Alamo Ranch fills out and the area around 90/1604 fill out, that developers will look to other areas of town as land values shoot up in Stone Oak. Most of the remaining developments on the north side have homes starting in the 300's; not exactly the fastest moving set in the city.
Land is still relatively cheap in City South and most developers are looking for a quick/easy sell. Homes in the 80K-150K price range will sell in any part of town, Kirby and China Grove residential developments have shown us that, and that is what we will probably begin to see in the City South area. The infrastructure at Verano is getting worked on and the area around 410/281 south will soon see Espada come to life, especially once the Mission Reach nears completion. Those two areas won't be the only ones but will probably be the first. Mission del Lago, Hunters Pond, a couple developments off of Presa and Southton Rd, and the developments near the Republic Golf Course (I know, technically not south side) have helped to increase traffic a bit on the south side. Its no Alamo Ranch, but population is slowly being increased in the area. The fact that developents from Millers Pond to China Grove have happened while those from Alamo Ranch to Cibolo have exploded shows us that development in the south side of town is possible and was in still in demand.
I do see other growth happening as well too. Somerset, Losoya and Elmendorf offer the same "small-town" atmosphere that, say, Cibolo or Bulverde offered people in the last few years. Growth closer to 1604 south also gives developers less restrictions than City South does. I think there are developments popping up in those areas.
The build-out of Brooks-CB is key in the near future. They could add some office/medical space that could be a key employment center and boost the population of the southeastern portion of the county.
cake and keep it, too.

Last edited by miaht82; Nov 30, 2009 at 3:33 AM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 4:15 AM
Paradise

I always figured that the north side, with it's hills and such, would always attract the most attention, but I'm pretty happy with City South because I'd prefer for that side of town to start growing now to level growth out. Some of the projects proposed look nice and family-oriented which I like. I just have a hard time believing it will be as popular as the north areas, but with A&M who knows?

So according to that one article, developments have sort of stalled there?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 9:42 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Another thing about City South is that in the short term and maybe long term homes will be just as nice but much more affordable than those on the far north side.

For instance, in the Mission del Lago subdivision homes like these:

Are going for 180-200k.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 8:27 AM

South Texas Research Facility update

A couple of pics I took last week.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 10:22 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 1:07 AM

Too bad they did not build up. Not much land left to build on.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
I always figured that the north side, with it's hills and such, would always attract the most attention, but I'm pretty happy with City South because I'd prefer for that side of town to start growing now to level growth out. Some of the projects proposed look nice and family-oriented which I like. I just have a hard time believing it will be as popular as the north areas, but with A&M who knows?

So according to that one article, developments have sort of stalled there?

I haven't seen much of the south side of SA except off I35 going to Laredo and I37 but i've always liked the North Central area like off Blanco

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 11:03 AM

Sutton Homes to break groung on Dec 15

http://www.saha.org/public%20housing.../elevation.pdf

"Ground will be broken next week on a new affordable housing community in the Sutton Homes neighborhood at 909 Runnels Ave."

http://recenter.tamu.edu/mnews/newsS...NEWS&CID=50182

Good news for the Ft Sam Houston area.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2009, 9:23 PM
Paradise

So I don't really know where to put this, but does anyone know if the NorthStar Mall redevelopment is in progress? I found some neat things on this website.
http://www.bokapowell.com/#/retail/3/
Quote:
This challenging mixed use re-development is currently in design. The project includes: 180 key boutique hotel plus amenities, 100,000 SF new mall commons, retail GLA and 4 signature restaurants on outdoor dining court.

Phase I of this redevelopment includes the demolition of the existing Frost Mall Court and Mervyns anchor store to make room for a new luxury hotel, new mall atrium court, upscale retail shops and 4 signature restaurants on an outdoor dining court. Phase I completion is scheduled for late 2010. A potential Phase II addition is also being considered that would include an office building, parking garage and boutique retail shopping street.
The renderings on the site look nice.

And there is also something on a hotel resort. http://www.bokapowell.com/#/hospitality/13/

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 12:27 AM
James

Oh snap, great find Alice, I'm glad they are doing something else with Mervyns rather put another store there.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 2:23 AM
Paradise

I think it will look great. It's obvious they really want to catch up with La Cantera.

There was this also, but not really much info.
http://www.bokapowell.com/#/healthcare/14/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio