HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Yeah no kidding LMAO - no effin’ way it is anywhere close to $2B to demolish.
I think the government just wants an excuse to eliminate that option.
So if it might cost three quarters of a billion to just replace the ring and roof why is it beyond the realm of possibility when they have to take care to individually disassemble the entire stadium and a pile of other things that no one here (myself included) is knowledgeable enough to state.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 1:43 AM
I am the law!

OMG are you ever a stadium fanboy. Your usual hundreds of millions spent on facilities with no real tenants as a good value city building project for taxpayers is bad enough. You can build a brand new flashy stadium for $2 billion!

No one is knowledge enough to know is the lamest excuse of fanboyitis ever!

I would seek other options than demolition or sinking another near billion into it. I just can't stand these absolute bullshit demolition costs. $750 million was ridiculous. $2 billion is ignorant.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
OMG are you ever a stadium fanboy. Your usual hundreds of millions spent on facilities with no real tenants as a good value city building project for taxpayers is bad enough. You can build a brand new flashy stadium for $2 billion!

No one is knowledge enough to know is the lamest excuse of fanboyitis ever!

I would seek other options than demolition or sinking another near billion into it. I just can't stand these absolute bullshit demolition costs
In my posts I have stated both sides, I don't know if putting money towards it is a good idea or not. Sometimes I think it is and sometimes I don't but I'm not going to bullshit people and pretend I know something I don't.

So why are you avoiding the fact you have no clue how much it would cost to disassemble yet act like you do. You keep giving lameass negative no evidence posts about it, you must know.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 2:06 AM
I am the law!

You're not honest. You pretend to be unbiased. It would be all well and good if you just admitted being a stadium fanboy.

I see posting facts all those previous times these ridiculous demolition costs have come up was a pointless endeavour. I'm not going to waste my time again. $2 billion is the cost a new statement stadium. You don't need facts and figures. It's purely rational common sense. New construction costs more than demolition. One budgets for the cost of materials. The other budgets the revenues from the sale of recyclables. One is crafted. The other is destructed. How many times do I have to say it? $2 billion is a almost 100X more than the average cost of the NFL stadiums brought down in the last 20 years.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper; Feb 5, 2024 at 2:18 AM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 2:15 AM
Closed account

Admittedly a big number but someone had to bite the bullet on Olympic Stadium.

I am mostly shocked that after a public dispute with provincial employees and the climbdown from several promised infrastructure projects the government of Quebec would take the gamble here. It looks to he a hard sell, but government at low ebb polls-wise might as well do the ugly business and tear the band-aid off.

Unless the plan is to poison the well for the next government, given the expected time frame needed for completion (4 years). Cost overruns burn the next government, if the reno goes to pot.

Demolition would be costly but leave Montreal with nothing. Eventually, momentum would build for a new stadium in such a case, regardless of viability. I don’t know what would even really ‘fit’ in the hole left by Olympic - the curse of large stadiums in Canada outside of Toronto is that they don’t really have a use case, except for a handful of events. But there’s just enough of those that the shiny new thing might just get built, probably at a higher cost than the renovation.

Other than abandoning it (which was my bet), the rebuild is about the best option.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I see posting facts all those previous times these ridiculous demolition costs have come up was a pointless endeavour. I'm not going to waste my time again. $2 billion is the cost a new statement stadium. You don't need facts and figures. It's purely rational common sense. New construction costs more than demolition. One budgets for the cost of materials. The other budgets the revenues from the sale of recyclables. One is crafted. The other is destructed. How many times do I have to say it? $2 billion is a almost 100X more than the average cost of the NFL stadiums brought down in the last 20 years.
You haven't a clue. You're posting generalities about a very specific stadium constructed differently than almost any other stadium in North America and with a subway near. and other issues factored into that cost that we don't know about. What specifics do you know about this stadium and it's situation? Where is the industry consensus to call this a lie? Why aren't experts speaking out? I don't know and you don't either.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlights99 View Post
The Stadium will be Closed for 4 years ?

Or the roof will be Complete in 4 years ?

Big difference.

Even BC Place's fancy Sunroof didn't take 4 years to Complete.

Does this timeline include Design / Engineering ? Or is this strictly a timeline to build ?

Any Federal money involved in this project ?

I still think they should spend this year 2024 stabilizing the current Overhang / strengthen the Technical ring and leave the Stadium as Open Air for next year 2025.

Then in 2026 start the roof and have it ready for 2027.

I mean I just can't visualize the sense in having the stadium Completely Closed for 4 years.

I hope they won't announce that.

If that is the case then the Montreal Impact will have to make some long term plans as to where they will play their early season games and potential playoff games if Saputo won't be used.
Maybe wait until the government actually comes out with an announcement. I doubt they would leak that it would be 4 years of work if they could do the technical ring in one year and the roof in another year. Get over the Swift idea, it's not happening on this tour.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 3:02 PM

RDI is covering the announcement live now

$870 million - Lifespan of roof 50 years

Work starts July 2024 Ends 2028

Will include a transparent glass hoop.“This characteristic element will become the largest window on the sky in Montreal, allowing the enclosure to be flooded with daylight or to offer the public a view of the starry night.

CTV Reports the new roof will have a translucent strip as well as a skylight.

The consortium formed by Groupe Construction Pomerleau-Canam will lead the project. (They did the Lansdowne Park redevelopment)

The stadium would have to be closed within two years if nothing is done, Proulx said.

Last edited by elly63; Feb 5, 2024 at 4:34 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 3:53 PM

Quebec to spend $870M on a new roof for the Olympic Stadium
Stadium to be closed 4 years starting this summer
Erika Morris CBC News February 5, 2024

Quebec on Monday morning confirmed that repairs to the Olympic Stadium's roof and ring will come with a price tag of $870 million.

The move is part of an action plan signed in 2018 to revitalize Montreal's east end. The government also wants to further commercialize the Olympic Park by doubling its capacity for tourists, increase the number of events held at the stadium and have room for large-scale concerts, conventions and trade shows.

The government predicts that, with its new roof, the stadium will attract larger events, possibly generating as much as $1.5 billion from tourism and other sources over 10 years.

It also expects to make $61 million in gross revenue per year from the Olympic Park, while the stadium itself could generate tax revenues of more than $20 million per year.

The roof will be fixed, rigid and feature a transparent glass hoop, so the tower will be visible from the inside. It will also flood the stadium with daylight and offer a view of the night sky.

The work will be done in three phases and is expected to take four years to complete, starting this summer. The stadium will be closed during this time, but the rest of Olympic Park will still be accessible.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 4:05 PM

I like how they say gross revenue and don’t predict net, since net is currently -$44 million a year!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 4:31 PM

Any details about the new structure? With Canam part of the consortium I would assume steel trusses of some kind. Do drawings exist?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 5:06 PM

100% on board for a new roof, mostly cause I don't have to pay for it.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 5:12 PM

Here is some images and video clip from lapresse. The video clip appears to show the lower bowl reconfigured to a new football and soccer orientation yet there doesn't seem to be any mention of budgeting for renovating the lower bowl so not sure if it will actually happen or not?

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/g...0-millions.php

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 5:59 PM

Great News!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Here is some images and video clip from lapresse. The video clip appears to show the lower bowl reconfigured to a new football and soccer orientation yet there doesn't seem to be any mention of budgeting for renovating the lower bowl so not sure if it will actually happen or not?

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/g...0-millions.php

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 6:40 PM

That first image looks like the one that I was confused about posted by CBC. I didn't understand the dark ring which I thought was supposed to be transparent (it is). It was captioned: The Olympic Stadium's new $870-million roof will be fixed, rigid and feature a transparent glass hoop. (Tourism Ministry of Quebec)

Last edited by elly63; Feb 5, 2024 at 7:43 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 6:49 PM

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 7:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 7:17 PM

The video playing in the background here gives a good representation

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 8:12 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Looks cool but is there a reason the entire roof cant be transparent (overheating the space perhaps) ?
Are there no interior renos included (seats, concourse, etc.) ?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 8:16 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada