HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Maybe the city can kick in and help operate the theatre as the Oxford Theatre and release Cineplex from their obligations.
Uh, no.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Querce View Post
I'm pretty sure it was mentioned on Halifax Retales that the sale included that the site couldn't be used as a theatre
Yes. This is the same thing Empire (Sobeys) does when they sell land. The former Sobeys on Pleasant Street in Dartmouth and the former Sobeys on Gottingen (where Velo Lofts is going up now) both had contractual restrictions that prevent any new owners from putting up a grocery store or drug store without the approval of Empire.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 12:31 PM

There is an open house on potential replacement sites for the Mumford Transit Terminal today at 2pm and again at 6pm at St. Agnes Parish Hall.

http://www.shapeyourcityhalifax.ca/m...inal/key_dates

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Maybe the city can kick in and help operate the theatre as the Oxford Theatre and release Cineplex from their obligations.
I don't think it has much to do with Cineplex's obligations, in fact their only obligation in this case was to get some return on their investment by cutting a less-profitable venue.

I believe the reason for the clause is to prevent the theatre from being used in a manner that would compete with their existing theatres. Although, intuitively one can surmise that they would not have sold the facility if it were able to generate attendance numbers that would actually constitute competition for their existing theatres.

To me it seems like a standard clause that would be relevant in the sale of a multi-theatre complex that had the capability of stealing audience from their other complexes, rather than an old single-theatre facility. Probably the type of situation whereby they use a standard contract for all their sales and if nobody objects to the clause being in the agreement, it stays in there. The purchaser would likely not negotiate this point if their intention is to develop the property into offices or residential.

FWIW, I don't think the city would be the best operators in this case. I truly believe the best case would have been a group with a passion to preserve the theatre and support the arts community to take over operation of The Oxford (as has been the case in other theatres mentioned in this thread). That said, I suspect it won't or can't happen, as the purchasers appear to have bought the place in order to develop, not preserve.

The optimist in me maintains a glimmer of hope, but I would be surprised if it actually happened. More likely status quo for Halifax - tear it down or façade it, put up a shiny glass box. Eventually the people who actually remember attending the theatre will die off, and it will remain for future generations to see in online photo archives.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post

FWIW, I don't think the city would be the best operators in this case. I truly believe the best case would have been a group with a passion to preserve the theatre and support the arts community to take over operation of The Oxford (as has been the case in other theatres mentioned in this thread). That said, I suspect it won't or can't happen, as the purchasers appear to have bought the place in order to develop, not preserve.

The optimist in me maintains a glimmer of hope, but I would be surprised if it actually happened. More likely status quo for Halifax - tear it down or façade it, put up a shiny glass box. Eventually the people who actually remember attending the theatre will die off, and it will remain for future generations to see in online photo archives.
Given what Norman Nahas has said so far, and the low height limit here, I'm optimistic that his plans are still being developed, and that the space can be preserved and put to some public use. But I agree, I'd be very surprised to see it simply returned to being a regular cinema with daily screenings.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 6:47 PM

No details available yet. This is attached to the backside of Lion's Head Tavern. It is approximately 1/3 of the block with frontage on Young and Demone Streets.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 7:19 PM

Sorry if someone posted about this previously, how do we feel about these 3-D pavers on the Argyle Street redevelopment?

Ps I can't resize my img?

Last edited by Dmajackson; Sep 20, 2017 at 10:02 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 7:40 PM

I like the look of the pavers though I haven't walked on them yet. Do you have any concerns?

For sizing the photos, if you upload and host them on imgur, you can resize them after uploading. Otherwise most basic photo editing software has a resizing function.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 11:45 PM
Salty Town

Unfortunately the strip of black ribbed pavers will be broken and/or ripped up by snow plowing. The streets look good though and have adequate drainage which is essential for our freeze/thaw - snow/rain cycles.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 3:51 AM

Quote:
I don't think it has much to do with Cineplex's obligations, in fact their only obligation in this case was to get some return on their investment by cutting a less-profitable venue.

I believe the reason for the clause is to prevent the theatre from being used in a manner that would compete with their existing theatres. Although, intuitively one can surmise that they would not have sold the facility if it were able to generate attendance numbers that would actually constitute competition for their existing theatres.

To me it seems like a standard clause that would be relevant in the sale of a multi-theatre complex that had the capability of stealing audience from their other complexes, rather than an old single-theatre facility. Probably the type of situation whereby they use a standard contract for all their sales and if nobody objects to the clause being in the agreement, it stays in there. The purchaser would likely not negotiate this point if their intention is to develop the property into offices or residential.

I think this is pretty vile what Cineplex has done. My understanding is that Empire, when selling to Cineplex, included a requirement they had to run the Oxford theatre for a certain number of years.

All they did was run out the clock and not only sell ASAP, but also put in this disgusting anti-competitive clause.

IMHO, this clause however would not kill use of the Oxford as a theatre. That clause is what a lawyer might all a term in restraint of trade, and would be read narrowly by a judge.

So, if the Oxford re-opened as a different kind of film theatre-- not directly in competition with Cineplex, I think it would be fine.

Imagine Cineplex's PR troubles if they decided to sue. I'd boycott the hell out of their garbage theatres all over HRM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
I think this is pretty vile what Cineplex has done. My understanding is that Empire, when selling to Cineplex, included a requirement they had to run the Oxford theatre for a certain number of years.

All they did was run out the clock and not only sell ASAP, but also put in this disgusting anti-competitive clause.

IMHO, this clause however would not kill use of the Oxford as a theatre. That clause is what a lawyer might all a term in restraint of trade, and would be read narrowly by a judge.

So, if the Oxford re-opened as a different kind of film theatre-- not directly in competition with Cineplex, I think it would be fine.

Imagine Cineplex's PR troubles if they decided to sue. I'd boycott the hell out of their garbage theatres all over HRM.
Hmmm... very interesting.

Maybe there is a glimmer of hope? Mostly depends on the current owner, though.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 4:20 PM

Quote:
I like the look of the pavers though I haven't walked on them yet. Do you have any concerns?

For sizing the photos, if you upload and host them on imgur, you can resize them after uploading. Otherwise most basic photo editing software has a resizing function.
I actually walked down a line of them this morning. They are hard on the feet. That being said, they are 10 inches of an entire road so I am not too concerned. I think it is important to have some texture that changes from the sidewalk area to the shared area and this does a good job at it. It is a very big contrast both in colour and texture to the rest of the surfaces. Good for those with disabilities and it looks much better then those big bumpy pads that are put at some crossings.

I should hope that as far as snow clearing goes the city would buy a different machine specific for these three blocks that won't harm the pavers.

20170921_071525 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 6:38 PM

Quote:

Man I even downloaded the imgur APP and found out you can't resize except on desktop. Done now.

I like the look, they're maybe a little trip-hazard-y in my view (not too bad), and I worry about them getting alllllll torn up by the snow plows. Maybe the city will have some snowblowers like they do in Montreal?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotropolis View Post
Man I even downloaded the imgur APP and found out you can't resize except on desktop. Done now.

I like the look, they're maybe a little trip-hazard-y in my view (not too bad), and I worry about them getting alllllll torn up by the snow plows. Maybe the city will have some snowblowers like they do in Montreal?
Oops... I rarely do anything more complicated than reading and posting on the phone, so I do any photo editing on the desktop only. Usually I just use photo editing software anyhow (Graphic Converter).

I guess we'll see how they hold up after this winter. Sad to say, it's just a few short months away!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 3:33 PM

There was a notice in the paper today for an information meeting Oct 4 at the forum regarding a new proposal from WM Fares for a 14 storey apartment at Young and Demone. There is no information on the Halifax website yet though. anyone know anything about this one?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
There was a notice in the paper today for an information meeting Oct 4 at the forum regarding a new proposal from WM Fares for a 14 storey apartment at Young and Demone. There is no information on the Halifax website yet though. anyone know anything about this one?
I heard rumblings that the Lion's Head site was in play, so maybe that's it?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I shared the photo of the sign abive but it got buried quickly under other posts.

It is for the Lion's Head Tavern site and the recently demolished lot to the east.

Explore HRM hosted by Halifax Developments Blog)

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 7:34 PM
Halifax Promoter!

AHA, I always wondered about the Lions Head, sorry to see it go, maybe it will come back as a tenant in the new building...

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 4:49 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
No details available yet. This is attached to the backside of Lion's Head Tavern. It is approximately 1/3 of the block with frontage on Young and Demone Streets.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)
kid of the owner of lions head married a fares. New lions head on robie, with another point north like tower behind.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 4:51 PM

A great renovation wrapping up in Schmidtville.

20170925_142945 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth