HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^^ Disgusting. And when did China get a building that looks like the Sears Tower?
I was literally just thinking that with the union jack in the photo especially.. looks like pre-1997 hong kong

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 1:54 AM
Chicago

Hoxton Hotel - 200 N Green

August 3, 2017

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 1:55 AM
Chicago

176 N Halsted

August 3, 2017

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 1:00 PM
Chicagoland Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
^I walked past that building last weekend. The parking podium is a new level of horrendous.
Don't worry. Perhaps, in time, that small park just south of the podium will be redeveloped by the same folks who did those looooovely town-homes just across the street.

At least then the podium would be hidden from view.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 2:02 PM

1061 W Van Buren building was issued a demolition permit yesterday. If you remember, that is the site of this proposed 32 story, 411 unit building. I'm a bit confused though - with 1035 W Van Buren being next to this, isn't the building in the rendering a bit too big for the plot of land at 1061? Also, the 3 story building west of this at 1107 W Van Buren was issued a demo permit too. There is a surface parking lot there between this building and 1061. Would be great to see both of these developed. The owner on both permits is Pizutti who is listed online as the developer of the proposed high rise.

Source: Curbed

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
1061 W Van Buren building was issued a demolition permit yesterday. If you remember, that is the site of this proposed 32 story, 411 unit building. I'm a bit confused though - with 1035 W Van Buren being next to this, isn't the building in the rendering a bit too big for the plot of land at 1061? Also, the 3 story building west of this at 1107 W Van Buren was issued a demo permit too. There is a surface parking lot there between this building and 1061. Would be great to see both of these developed. The owner on both permits is Pizutti who is listed online as the developer of the proposed high rise.
Here's a tiny image of the perspective from Van Buren where it seems they'd be closing off Aberdeen between Van Buren and Tilden:

Source: Chicago Architecture Blog

EDIT: Yeah, just reread the article on this development's presentation, and they've always been planning to close off that small block of Aberdeen.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Here's a tiny image of the perspective from Van Buren where it seems they'd be closing off Aberdeen between Van Buren and Tilden:

Source: Chicago Architecture Blog
Nice, then that makes sense between 1061, the street, the lot next to it, and the 3 story building that was issued demolition. Perhaps this thing is "around the corner" from starting ...

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 2:57 PM
TL;DR

They will need a street vacation ordinance before they can begin. That's a slow process, especially with the inevitable utility relocations.

If you're vacating a public street for open space purposes (private walkway, parking lot, etc) you can give a blanket easement to utilities and just leave them be, but this building plops right down on top of the old street, so all utilities will need to be moved. That can get real costly, real fast.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 3:07 PM

^ How long does it typically take? At least they got granted two demo permits, so in a way it is getting started or at least preparing.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 3:55 PM

Geez, I almost forgot about this one...

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 5:02 PM

Quote:

Source: Curbed
I forgot about this one and excited to hear it's moving forward. That said I don't understand why architects/developers can't do a better job integrating the parking podium (if a parking podium is even necessary) with the tower. Great tower, horrendous podium.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 5:27 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_T View Post
I forgot about this one and excited to hear it's moving forward. That said I don't understand why architects/developers can't do a better job integrating the parking podium (if a parking podium is even necessary) with the tower. Great tower, horrendous podium.
To be fair, the side we are seeing is the one fronting the Eisenhower. I doubt the developer would put too much money in making that side all that detailed.

I just hope that this wont be the case for the side fronting Van Buren...

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 6:18 PM

Good to see the Harry Potter tower moving forward. That will create an interesting terminus on Aberdeen.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 2:52 PM
The City

^ I didn't know it would be a view capper. I love those. Some of the new view cappers this boom will be:

This tower
Wolf Point East
Vista
I believe the Aurelian or whatever is a view capper when looking from the east
That newish tower in the Gold Coast (State and Division thereabouts?) creates a pretty cool effect when viewing up State St from the south. State St has really become quite the canyon north of the river, the development of the Holy Name lot should really complete the effect.

My view cap wish: a large tower just south of the historic Dearborn Station. That piddly little station provides such a weak cap to a majestic Loop canyon like Dearborn.

Anyone know of any others?

Bonus comment: one of the awesomest view caps of all time is looking up Park Ave in Manhattan, south of Grand Central Station. It is especially epic at night--at the end of the canyon is one of the most beautiful beaux arts constructs in America with Hermes perched on top, brightly lit up in the distance. I recommend you check it out. I wish Chicago had something that powerful.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 3:12 PM
Urbane observer

Yup, nothing like that around here.

JoeyBLS Photography

But I'm a little confused. You somehow manage to not see the MetLife building?

but at the same time want something similar behind Dearborn Station?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 3:24 PM

Nobu Hotel granted full building permit yesterday.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 4:11 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
To be fair, the side we are seeing is the one fronting the Eisenhower. I doubt the developer would put too much money in making that side all that detailed.

I just hope that this wont be the case for the side fronting Van Buren...
It's too bad we have to think about things in such terms. If the Eisenhower had been/could be rebuilt into a grand [Congress] boulevard it wouldn't be treated like the auto sewer to turn ones back to into perpetuity... *Burnham facepalm

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Nobu Hotel granted full building permit yesterday.
Geez, more than a year after breaking ground.

Edit: Actually it looks like Friday was an unusually busy day. Cityscape says The Lincoln Common got it's second crane permit, Sears Tower got its first $50,000,000 permit, and The Hoxton got its tower crane permit.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Geez, more than a year after breaking ground.

Edit: Actually it looks like Friday was an unusually busy day. Cityscape says The Lincoln Common got it's second crane permit, Sears Tower got its first $50,000,000 permit, and The Hoxton got its tower crane permit.
Ground breaking doesn't mean much. It's just a ceremony. The actual building permit for the foundation wasn't issued to them until late December 2016. They have been slow, but the city might have been tying up the permit until almost 2017.

And yep, more tower cranes coming to the city! Sears Tower getting a renovation permit, mostly for the lower levels, is a great sign.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 5:57 PM

Good for sears tower. Now hopefully some group takes the hint and starts developing those lots south of 311.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations