HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 11:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The Lowes on Reenders seemed to be higher priced than Rona was. I was in there last weekend and some guys were laughing at how overpriced everything was. They said go to Star and pay a fraction of the price. We'll see how things go for them.

They also didn't have some basic items in stock, like 1/2" plywood. Hopefully they don't run into similar issues as Target.
At least RONA competed with Home Depot price wise, Lowes prices on everything are higher and now so will Home Depot's, sucks with a real lack of competition!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm surprised Daiso just opened that one big store in Richmond and that's it.
It is a store that was opened in a partnership with Fairchild Group that owns the mall. They apparently own the franchise rights for North America. I don't know what their involvement with Oomomo is. But It seems weird that they didn't try to open or get franchisees for Daiso. They also have brought some other brands like Giordano and Izzue to the Aberdeen Centre shopping mall, both of which are those brands only stores. They also have AFAIK have the only Nature Republic in Canada. Which is a Korean beauty brand that wants to open more stores in Canada.

Quote:
http://www.izzue.com believes in breaking new ground, its expansion has moved above and beyond Hong Kong. The 1st North America flagship store was opened in December 2011 at Aberdeen Centre, Richmond. With more than 80 shops worldwide including Hong Kong, China, Macau, Taiwan, Thailand, France, Berlin and Saudi Arabia.
https://www.daisocanada.com/

https://www.daisocanada.com/wholesale.php

there is a list of brands that they are involved with for the mall they own.

https://www.fairchildgroup.com

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I don't find much of a difference at all, though it does seem that HB Home carries more furniture.

The Bay has to be more competitive with its pricing. Yes, they have really nice clothing and home and bath items but for most items unless you're getting at least 40 or 50% off the prices are too high. Very few people will spend $50 on a designer bath towel even if it is a very good one when you can get quality towels at Costco for $10. As for clothing, similar styles can be found elsewhere or in the U.S. for much, much less. People are price savvy nowadays, in the 80s people used to boast about how much they paid for an item, now everyone is looking for a deal.

As per HBC's own press release it would appear that Winnipeg's three HB Home stores will be unaffected by the closure of Home Outfitters. The company is hemorrhaging money however and may go the way of Eaton's and Sears if things don't change fairly soon.
A former colleague, of mine (we both worked @ Sears) is management @ HBC Home and was told all stores including HBC home were closing

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 12:19 AM

Plans are posted on the City's website for a new build Mark's Work Warehouse on Kenaston just north of the Lowe's.

Seems like an odd choice as their current store in the area doesn't feel overly small or run down. Does Canadian Tire still own some of the land in that strip mall?

With the Mark's moving, Hudson's Bay Home closing,
and the rumoured Adidas move to the Outlet Mall, there isn't going to be a whole lot left in that little northern part of the box stores.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 10:27 PM

Laura is Moving Temporary Location in Polo Park

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty View Post
Plans are posted on the City's website for a new build Mark's Work Warehouse on Kenaston just north of the Lowe's.
I cannot explain the rational on why it happens but a pattern I have noticed is that Mark's likes to move their locations fairly frequently and not just the Kenaston one.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I cannot explain the rational on why it happens but a pattern I have noticed is that Mark's likes to move their locations fairly frequently and not just the Kenaston one.
Look at Regent and 59, Marks has been located on 3 of the 4 corners over the years. They have not been on the SW corner.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 9:14 PM

Out of the USA comes news Amazon will soon be opening grocery stores separate from their Whole Foods banner. The new stores will be approximately 35,000 sq ft which is smaller than traditional grocery stores.

Like Walmart's Neighorhood Market concept no word of if it will come north.

https://www.businessinsider.com/amaz...-report-2019-3

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 10:06 PM

New pylon signage for Garden City Square Shopping Centre, the HomeSense/Marshall’s signs should be going up fairly soon.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 3:52 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Any news on a new Costco store opening? I've been seeing a story on my Facebook feed saying there's one going to be built along McPhillips and Murray St, which is an ongoing rumour for years now. I know we talked about this numerous times in this thread already, but any new news on that front?

Also, any word on that Colliers development on North Main and the Southwest corner of Perimeter?

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 4:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Any news on a new Costco store opening? I've been seeing a story on my Facebook feed saying there's one going to be built along McPhillips and Murray St, which is an ongoing rumour for years now. I know we talked about this numerous times in this thread already, but any new news on that front?

Also, any word on that Colliers development on North Main and the Southwest corner of Perimeter?
Sounds like someone recycling old news, doubt anything major gets built at McPhillips and Murray until Chief Peguis is extended sometime around 2040 or later!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post

The most recent rumblings are a new one is going in at the developement by the red river ex grounds. I’d say that is fairly solid as someone posted about it on here then a few months later some development drawings from a variance application were released and it sure looked like a Costco. Iirc someone on here said that it may be a relocation of the st James location and Costco repurposing st James for warehouse space.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 3:55 PM

^^ Pretty sure that the Portage Ave Costco is the first of any new developments to happen. The site variance has been posted. It needs less than the minimum permitted clearance from the street for a single corner of the building, aka fairly minor.

There is no activity on the site though.

The rumors point to Portage as a "direct" replacement for St James then a McPhillips "new" store when in reality both are partly new/partly replacement for St James. The distinction is likely in terms of how staff will be reallocated. Once both those locations are online the existing St James location will stay with Costco but not have the same general consumer focus as now.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 5:02 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
^^ Pretty sure that the Portage Ave Costco is the first of any new developments to happen. The site variance has been posted. It needs less than the minimum permitted clearance from the street for a single corner of the building, aka fairly minor.

There is no activity on the site though.

The rumors point to Portage as a "direct" replacement for St James then a McPhillips "new" store when in reality both are partly new/partly replacement for St James. The distinction is likely in terms of how staff will be reallocated. Once both those locations are online the existing St James location will stay with Costco but not have the same general consumer focus as now.

I have heard the same thing from a developer. The St. James location will be closed down as all of the Costco locations are to have a gas bar and St. James doesn't have any room for expansion.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 5:09 PM

^^ I have heard a variety of things for the St James Costco from it being a staging warehouse for the stores, ie receive shipments a couple weeks ahead of when they hit the floor and storing extra stock of things like tires, tvs, etc. To them being a pharmacy back end doing the work on prescriptions that aren't walk-in for pickup "immediately". To them becoming a business centre - ie selling products only for small business customers.

I think it could even be a mix of those three. I am also not sure how much advanced staging to warehouses Costco actually does. That said moving stock of bulkier items out of stores to a local warehouse could free up floor space for other things.

--

Separately I heard the Wireless booth at the Kenaston location is going to be significantly expanded again.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 8:05 PM

The rumour came across my feed from a share from a limo company of some sort. Exact quote:
Quote:
Finally, a new Costco Store for Garden City in Winnipeg!!!
This is great news for North End Winnipeg Shoppers.

We heard from a very reliable source today, that Costco is currently [sic] in the works to finally open a brand new store on the property that they own near the corner of McPhillips St. and Murray Road, which is just North of the Co-op Gas Bar on McPhillips St.
This new Costco location has been a rumour for many years already, as they bought this property about 5 years ago from the past owner of the former Parkside Ford on Main St, who used to even park some of their extra Ford trucks on that field facing McPhillip's St.
The story goes, that he was going to build a new Ford dealership on the property many years ago, but the city wouldn't provide the sewer and water services out to that location at the time, which didn't run that far out of the city, unless he paid for it himself at an enormous cost. He took the city to court over that fight, but eventualy [sic] lost the battle, gave up and then sold the property to Costco Stores.

Apparently Costco who is finally in the construction planning stages for a brand new store there, will be starting the work very soon, once all the final plans are approved by the city.
This new Costco location will make many people that live in the North End of Winnipeg very, very happy!

This will no doubt be a VERY VERY busy location for them, so lets just hope that they make this store big enough and have tons of parking there as well.
I have heard the part of the dealership wanting to relocated there at some point on here before. Could be complete BS and just rehashing of a number of rumours.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 8:24 PM

Very.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 8:38 PM
What could go wrong?

I can confirm that Parkside Ford did in fact come very close to building a new dealership at that location. Designs were even done. When that plan fell apart they spent about $5 million on their Main St facility.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 8:56 PM

Does Cam still cut the mustard?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I can confirm that Parkside Ford did in fact come very close to building a new dealership at that location. Designs were even done. When that plan fell apart they spent about $5 million on their Main St facility.
Surprising that they spent more money revamping their current location. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to see a car dealership in the city and not out in some inconvenient "auto mall" in the middle of nowhere, but their site does seem pretty cramped especially now that Ford will be selling nothing but big trucks and SUVs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan