HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 11:51 AM

Has Ironline built in Phx before? Fall 2016 seems a little risky given that there are already talks of multifamily saturation; perhaps, if the condos on the northern end like Portland and Edison do well, a for-sale project could be possible?

Obviously, 37-stories won't be happening, but I do hope it's closer to 10 than 4, if developed. Trying to densify Midtown one 4-story project at a time seems nearly impossible. And, it's annoying that the RFP doesn't even reference the possibility of a mixed-use site.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 7:07 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Has Ironline built in Phx before? Fall 2016 seems a little risky given that there are already talks of multifamily saturation; perhaps, if the condos on the northern end like Portland and Edison do well, a for-sale project could be possible?

Obviously, 37-stories won't be happening, but I do hope it's closer to 10 than 4, if developed. Trying to densify Midtown one 4-story project at a time seems nearly impossible. And, it's annoying that the RFP doesn't even reference the possibility of a mixed-use site.
Where are you getting Ironline is involved in this or 37 stories?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 7:11 PM

Tuft and Needle HQ to Grand Ave.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...-hardware.html

Did you guys see this? Great news for Grand Avenue and a great building!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 8:10 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...-hardware.html

Did you guys see this? Great news for Grand Avenue and a great building!
Interesting development. My wife and I recently bought a T&N mattress at the current site in Levine Machine. We had to walk up a steep outdoor staircase to reach the company's offices. They weren't really set up for retail, but they happened to have what we wanted in stock, so we stuffed the mattress into the family car and brought it home the same day. It was an adventure, but a fun one with a good outcome. The Grand Avenue location sounds better suited to retail, so I hope they'll cultivate more of a store / showroom atmosphere.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 8:20 PM
self-important urbanista

A few observations from a lunch time bike ride around DT PHX:

-- Mornin' Moonshine has added outdoor seating along Monroe. That should help build street presence for this building as it cultivates its image as a magnet for indie businesses.

-- The Hero Factory, a popular deli, has gone out of business. There's a big for lease sign in the window and a letter taped to the door indicating the landlord locked out the tenant for non-payment of rent.

-- The buildout of the two noodle restaurants slated to open next door is nearly done. I could see some activity behind the closed doors.

-- It seems like the Downtown Phoenix branch of the Cornish Pasty Company has been coming soon for years, but there's now a sign clearly identifying the restaurant and serious construction going on.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
It seems like the Downtown Phoenix branch of the Cornish Pasty Company has been coming soon for years, but there's now a sign clearly identifying the restaurant and serious construction going on.
Article today confirms projected late January, early February opening.

http://downtowndevil.com/2015/12/07/...-on-wednesday/

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 8:30 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Article today confirms projected late January, early February opening.

http://downtowndevil.com/2015/12/07/...-on-wednesday/
Glad to hear it. Pasties are ideal for cooler winter days, so this place needs to open before summer.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 4:26 AM
skyscrapers!

It looks like the top contenders for a new Coyotes arena are either downtown Phoenix or on the ASU campus.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7...d=nhl:topheads

Quote:
Coyotes exploring options for new arena
Monday, 12.07.2015 / 7:42 PM / News
By Dan Rosen - NHL.com Senior Writer

PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. -- The Arizona Coyotes are actively researching plans for a new home in downtown Phoenix or in the city's East Valley, Coyotes co-owner and president Anthony Leblanc said Monday at the Board of Governors meeting.

The Coyotes' lease with Gila River Arena in Glendale expires after the 2016-17 season.

"We're in very progressed talks with the city of Phoenix and as well we forged a tight alliance with Arizona State University and we're having discussions with them about the potential for a facility," Leblanc said. "We're exploring those pretty aggressively."

Leblanc said Phoenix mayor Greg Stanton contacted the Coyotes this past summer after the City of Glendale backed out of its 15-year lease agreement with the hockey team. The Coyotes eventually settled with the city on a new two-year lease.

Stanton talked to the Coyotes about the potential for a new arena in downtown Phoenix that would be shared between the Coyotes, the Phoenix Suns of the NBA and potentially the Phoenix Mercury of the WNBA. He also talked about the Coyotes moving into their old home, and current home of the Suns, Talking Stick Resort Arena.

"When everything happened with the City of Glendale, there were two interesting I guess side effects," Leblanc said. "First off, people realized that if we ever wanted to leave, that was the opportunity and we didn't do it. We went the other way. We focused heavily on staying. That has basically eviscerated all of the talk about what we had previously called an out-clause. But the other thing that came out of that was the strong voicing from our fanbase and from our sponsors that if we had an opportunity they'd really like to see us back in downtown Phoenix or in the east side of the Valley. This wasn't something we were even remotely considering, but because the City of Glendale made a decision and we have less than two years left on our lease, we have to look at our options."

Leblanc said a move back to downtown Phoenix or to the East Valley, potentially Tempe, where Arizona State is located, would be "positive across the board" for the Coyotes in terms of ticket sales, merchandise and the overall marketing and interest of the team.

"People tend to forget that when this team played in what was then America West Arena, the games were almost always sold out, there was an incredible vibe in the building," Leblanc said. "The building wasn't constructed for hockey so there were obstructed view seats, but the point is that they did very well. It wasn't built for hockey and the lease wasn't particularly friendly, but if you're on the ground floor of a new building being constructed it means you're in on the ground floor when it comes to the lease and revenue streams."

Leblanc's hope is that something comes to fruition within the next six to nine months so the Coyotes can begin plans to start fresh in a new home. If it's going to be a new facility, it's possible the Coyotes would have to extend their lease with Gila River Arena because of the time it takes to get a new arena built.

"We'll figure that out," Leblanc said. "If I have a list of 10 problems, that's not on it. The real situation we need to figure out is long term. Once we figure out long term, short term will work itself out. We've seen this in other markets in various sports, if there is a commitment of a new facility coming, we'll be able to figure it out."

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoboy61 View Post
It looks like the top contenders for a new Coyotes arena are either downtown Phoenix or on the ASU campus.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7...d=nhl:topheads
GOOD! I vote downtown. Mainly because the Suns probably cannot get a new arena on their own. If they were able to, then I'd vote ASU Athletic District with Devils.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 4:54 PM
BANNED

Downtown definitely! Level the old Civic Plaza building and build the new Arena there. The block is owned by the city of Phoenix, more exhibition space can be incorporated into or below the arena to make up for the tear down. Meanwhile, the Coyotes could play at Talking Stick with the Suns until the new arena is built and then just walk across the street to the new digs. And, considering Mayor Stanton approached them over a year ago, it should go downtown. This could be huge.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
Downtown definitely! Level the old Civic Plaza building and build the new Arena there. The block is owned by the city of Phoenix, more exhibition space can be incorporated into or below the arena to make up for the tear down. Meanwhile, the Coyotes could play at Talking Stick with the Suns until the new arena is built and then just walk across the street to the new digs. And, considering Mayor Stanton approached them over a year ago, it should go downtown. This could be huge.
I am hoping the city shares something publicly in the next couple weeks. I think it has to be pretty advanced. I doubt they would share something too preliminary, as the risk is high. They'll need to have specifics on site, renderings, proposed financing and uses for existing US Airways center/land.

I hope they do some RFPs for some of the land and part of this and, essentially build another CityScape as part of this project.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 5:48 PM

Quote:
I am hoping the city shares something publicly in the next couple weeks. I think it has to be pretty advanced. I doubt they would share something too preliminary, as the risk is high. They'll need to have specifics on site, renderings, proposed financing and uses for existing US Airways center/land.

I hope they do some RFPs for some of the land and part of this and, essentially build another CityScape as part of this project.
I hate to lay an egg in all of this but knowing phoenix what if they put it up by the fairgrounds or some other out of the way area like a bunch of doofuses

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 5:49 PM

It should go to ASU/ Tempe. It's a win for the school where I am sure they will share the facilities with the school's recently elevated D1 team. It would be an economic catalyst for the Facilities District (which Tempe desperately needs). Also what about some economic fairness...the Westside and downtown have their fair share of venues...it's time the EV takes a bigger piece of the pie.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
It should go to ASU/ Tempe. It's a win for the school where I am sure they will share the facilities with the school's recently elevated D1 team. It would be an economic catalyst for the Facilities District (which Tempe desperately needs). Also what about some economic fairness...the Westside and downtown have their fair share of venues...it's time the EV takes a bigger piece of the pie.
Tempe needs more economic fairness

are you shitting me?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 6:03 PM

Economic fairness?

bro I want some of the drugs you're smoking.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Economic fairness?

bro I want some of the drugs you're smoking.
Sounds like Obama. People invest and locate where they can make money, not fairness!

Also (Obadno) no way that Phoenix puts this at the fairgrounds. They have made it very clear that it will be downtown. And most likely on the current Civic Center site.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 6:34 PM

I wonder how the lessor would feel about building a new arena on the fairgrounds though, they may want a bigger rent if the land use went to that level.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Sounds like Obama. People invest and locate where they can make money, not fairness!

Also (Obadno) no way that Phoenix puts this at the fairgrounds. They have made it very clear that it will be downtown. And most likely on the current Civic Center site.
Thank you for getting that! lol.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 7:09 PM
Skyriser

I couldn't imagine a more giant waste of money than leveling the massive and fully functioning South Building, throwing its recent renovations down the drain, losing our spot in the "Top 20" of largest convention centers, and building a brand new arena while we scratch our heads with what we're supposed to do with the old one.

It's funny putting it on the Fairgrounds is so handily dismissed. That area could use a lot of redevelopment help, has oodles of land, will be near a streetcar/LRT line, and is stupid easy for people to get to and park at. Arenas and huge facilities like that work best on the edges of a downtown as opposed to right in the middle for the same reason and Phoenix keeps screwing it up.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 7:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I couldn't imagine a more giant waste of money than leveling the massive and fully functioning South Building, throwing its recent renovations down the drain, losing our spot in the "Top 20" of largest convention centers, and building a brand new arena while we scratch our heads with what we're supposed to do with the old one.

It's funny putting it on the Fairgrounds is so handily dismissed. That area could use a lot of redevelopment help, has oodles of land, will be near a streetcar/LRT line, and is stupid easy for people to get to and park at. Arenas and huge facilities like that work best on the edges of a downtown as opposed to right in the middle for the same reason and Phoenix keeps screwing it up.
The southern convention center building was renovated? When? It certainly hasn't been renovated outside and looks it. Again, they can incorporate meeting space with the new arena. Also, the surrounding infrastructure and amenities got their start with AWA. To lose an arena like it's a ho-hum, no big deal thing is not realistic. I'm not opposed to State Fair site, per se, but it's not ideal. Having a fair for three weeks a year compared with 80 game days (Suns and Coyotes) and possiblymore and all that traffic surrounded by such low density housing--not so ideal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest