HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 3:03 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
Philadelphians hate change and most of what I hear is just "why not in south Philly by the other stadiums, I like that setup"
Because Philly has a huge tailgating culture and depending on the game it can be bigger than the actual event and when there are a few games going on it is the meeting point for all of this. The Sports Complex District/Stadium District now being kind of meh can be corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisinphilly View Post
Reasonable people can agree that Market East is a bit of a shithole and the current retail set up there is not working.

Is there another entity that you can think of that will pump in literally unlimited money into the area to make sure it's successful? If the Arena moves forward the Sixers will do everything possible to make sure the area is a success that people from all over the region want to visit and spend $$$ in.
No they won't, they don't really care. Once they get what they want if things go on outside of the arena they will shrug and say it's the city's problem. We have many examples of sports stadiums/arenas not doing much for the surrounding area and they can sometimes cause an even worse burden.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I'm not sure why the Philly transportation thread being in the Transportation sub-forum would lead to people forgetting about it or not using it. Come on now.

idk how other people are doing it but I just go to the page with everything tagged philadelphia so i don't have to navigate the entire forum to find everything since I don't care about other cities. Transit thread isn't tagged so I never see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdawk View Post
Why would the Chinatown business owners not want this to happen more often? I'm trying to be sensitive but I truly don't understand what I'm missing regarding their gripe.
It seems like there's a campaign (maybe lead by comcast so they don't loose a big tenant?) to mislead people into thinking that the arena would be inside Chinatown and involve demolishing an existing block. Because you're right, businesses wanting less customers doesn't add up

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 5:59 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnEmperorPenguin View Post
idk how other people are doing it but I just go to the page with everything tagged philadelphia so i don't have to navigate the entire forum to find everything since I don't care about other cities. Transit thread isn't tagged so I never see it

Been prowling SSP since '98 and I never knew anything about what you just said.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
I don't see how disarming the good guys is going to stop violence against them from the bad guys who will get guns whether they are illegal or not.
Literally all evidence of gun control enacted in other countries says otherwise, but go off.

"I care about crime in Philadelphia, but I am against all forms of gun control" is an intellectually incoherent statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Been prowling SSP since '98 and I never knew anything about what you just said.
I also use the forum like AnEmperorPenguin. That is why the transportation subforum might as well not exist.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 2:17 AM
Creative Ambitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Literally all evidence of gun control enacted in other countries says otherwise, but go off.

"I care about crime in Philadelphia, but I am against all forms of gun control" is an intellectually incoherent statement.
I understand what he's saying, but you also have to remember what works in other countries would not work the same in the US.

We could enact those laws here as well, but the number of guns already out there is insane, wasn't it like 400 million guns In the US alone. thats more then our population so we have to approach it differently.

At the end of the day Stop and frisk did work, NY still technically does Stop and frisk because NYPD still hops out on people all the time.

Philly PPD does not do any type of enforcement at this moment, we have the jump out squad that patrols high activity areas, and may do something but when it comes to our regular city cops they do not seem to enforce anything at the moment, however I have seen more people being pulled over this year I still see large lawlessness prevalent.

For example at the intersection of Lehigh & Aramingo last night I witnessed crowds of people and 20-30 cars on all corners participating in a drag show, blocking traffic and a bus trying to stay on route.

I have no problem with drag shows but if you do one at one of the busiest intersections in the city it shows what your mentality towards "enforcement" is.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 4:43 AM

Back to buildings, please

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 4:58 AM
Creative Ambitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Back to buildings, please
I did have a question Mcgrath. Do you know if when they do the 95/676 improvements if the spring garden station will be getting a rehab or fully rebuild?

Have you heard or seen anything.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnEmperorPenguin View Post
Same here. Summers talked about fixing this a while ago but nothing ever happened.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/tag...g=philadelphia

Not being able to tag the Philadelphia transit thread with a "Philadelphia" tag seems...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
No they won't, they don't really care. Once they get what they want if things go on outside of the arena they will shrug and say it's the city's problem. We have many examples of sports stadiums/arenas not doing much for the surrounding area and they can sometimes cause an even worse burden.
Seems like it would make more sense to capitalize on their investment rather than spend a lot of money to build a new arena and then watch the area decline, but what do I know?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Seems like it would make more sense to capitalize on their investment rather than spend a lot of money to build a new arena and then watch the area decline, but what do I know?
I don't know. Do these really seem like the type of people interested in making money?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
I did have a question Mcgrath. Do you know if when they do the 95/676 improvements if the spring garden station will be getting a rehab or fully rebuild?

Have you heard or seen anything.
Yes, Spring Garden is being renovated during I-95 reconstruction.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 3:41 PM
Midrise

Quote:
What investment is that? The Sixers do NOT own a stake in the Wells Fargo Center and don’t share in its revenues, except insofar as their own ticket sales of which a large portion goes to Comcast-Spectacor. That’s the whole point of the proposed arena.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 4:02 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
I don't know. Do these really seem like the type of people interested in making money?
Yes making money, not spending it to save blocks that they don't own. You really think that they have an interest in being a save the city streets charity? It's the same sales pitch we hear in this country time and time again but what really ends up panning out?

I am neutral on this proposal but I do think that people are overhyping how much it is going to do for the surrounding area, at least when it comes to any money that would be coming directly from the 76ers.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Yes making money, not spending it to save blocks that they don't own. You really think that they have an interest in being a save the city streets charity? It's the same sales pitch we hear in this country time and time again but what really ends up panning out?

I am neutral on this proposal but I do think that people are overhyping how much it is going to do for the surrounding area, at least when it comes to any money that would be coming directly from the 76ers.
If the area around the arena sucks, the area the arena is in sucks. That affects ticket sales, property values, and event bookings. The Sixers have an interest in you sticking around the area and spending money, hopefully in one of their stores. Subjectively it also seems like the Sixers leadership likes the city, so that helps.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Chances are it will do more for the local economy where there are actually places to spend incremental income than it will in the middle of a parking lot in South Philadelphia.

Doesn't seem that difficult to comprehend.

Its the same principle that claims a Roosevelt Boulevard Subway would have more of an economic impact than the KOP extension. Not rocket science.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Yes, Spring Garden is being renovated during I-95 reconstruction.
renovated to be ada accessible and removing the big pillar in the middle of springgarden to make way springgarden greenway but not completely rebuilt correct?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Because Philly has a huge tailgating culture....
The only way this makes sense is if you've never been to a sporting event outside of the north east lol. We have a tailgating culture sure, but it is absolutely not huge compared to other cities outside our region.

Also we're talking about the Sixers' arena. Not a lot of tailgating going on for 7 pm weekday starts in the middle of winter...

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 1:13 AM

First of all, prioritizing a bunch of people drinking in a parking lot over the economic health and wellbeing of our city is ridiculous.

Second, there is no tailgating culture prevalent at Sixers (or Flyers) games. That's not to say there are never any tailgaters at those games but it's waaay less than Phillies' games and nowhere near the level you see at a Birds game.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 10:47 AM

I think Chinatown truly views a possible Sixers arena located just adjacent to the neighborhood as an existential threat, and they do have cause for concern. This is different than something like a one-time event like the Flower Show. Real gentrification, not simply urban renewal, i.e. in the negative sense where an interesting contributing neighborhood is turned into an indistinct zone for moneyed professionals, is a risk here, perhaps as nowhere else in the city. It's not just a risk now, but continuously in the future given Chinatown's unique position as the only working class neighborhood in Center City. And regardless of the amount of parking lots or the grittiness of the streetscape of the neighborhood, it adds value to the city.

To be clear, I'm in favor of the arena at this location. Simply put, the Sixers are going to have their own arena, because the value of the Sixers with their own (Center City) arena goes through the roof. Some people seem a tad confused about who owns the Sixers; it's not Comcast, as has been pointed out, rather Comcast is their landlord. That's the reason they want their own arena.

That said, it has to be done thoughtfully, understanding the very real possibility of unintended consequences on near neighbors. Given that this arena will represent an opportunity for the Sixers to essentially print money, they certainly can spend a little more to try to minimize any negative impacts on their neighbors.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
What investment is that? The Sixers do NOT own a stake in the Wells Fargo Center and don’t share in its revenues, except insofar as their own ticket sales of which a large portion goes to Comcast-Spectacor. That’s the whole point of the proposed arena.
Misunderstanding. I was responding to the suggestion that the team would build their new arena on Market and then watch the area surrounding that new arena decline.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development