HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 3:54 PM

Maybe the 101/15 intersection will get the interchange finally. Detour was already in place and is now bunged right up. I would hope that MIT and it's new overlords can agree that at least the south Perimeter is a priority. Second busiest highway in Manitoba besides the stretch of 101 from 7 to 59.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 4:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Springfield, which includes Oak Bank, tends to be an extremely secure PC riding having never swung to the NDP in their time in office. The Oak Bank corridor was actually a very publicly discussed project pre-NDP including public consultations on possible routes. It is also being proposed to address the significant safety issues which come from the high traffic volume on the two lane HWY 15 which it will heavily replace. It would not be surprising to see this project gain significant traction under a PC government as a reward to that area for long supporting the party.

Depending on what the PCs want to accomplish they could also invest into the southwest Perimeter which have been more of swing ridings in the past. That could include the 100/2/3 diamond, the additional lanes and even the St Norbert bypass.

I would also suspect the strength of the trucking lobbying will factor into which routes are done if they have influence with the PCs.
Springfield residents (not that Springfield) were not impressed with the half- assed three lane floodway bridge foisted on them almost as if it were an attack by the former (man I love typing that) speNDP regime!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 4:00 PM

4^ I think fixing the Perimeter (new interchanges, additional lanes, replacing curbs with barriers, etc.) should be a higher priority than building new roads to exurbia. Just building an interchange at 101/15 would make a big difference in the safety of Oakbank-bound commuters without going to the expense of building an entirely new highway.

Let's bring our existing major roads into the 21st century before we start building new highways and cutting the infrastructure maintenance pie into ever-smaller slices. Frankly I hope the PCs axe the St. Norbert bypass for that reason.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Let's bring our existing major roads into the 21st century before we start building new highways and cutting the infrastructure maintenance pie into ever-smaller slices. Frankly I hope the PCs axe the St. Norbert bypass for that reason.
You mean completely change our civic and provincial philosophy on infrastructure investment?

I wish.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 4:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
4^ I think fixing the Perimeter (new interchanges, additional lanes, replacing curbs with barriers, etc.) should be a higher priority than building new roads to exurbia. Just building an interchange at 101/15 would make a big difference in the safety of Oakbank-bound commuters without going to the expense of building an entirely new highway.

Agree on the first part on fixing the perimeter but 75 is a major corridor and having traffic still crawling through the middle of St. Norbert is kind of ridiculous, even highways 6, 7, and 8 don't face that kind of bottleneck.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 4:27 PM

And Morris. That's worse than St. Norbert IMO. MIT is planning to do some work with the bridges at Morris, but no bypass. Raising bridges, realigning the Morris River, etc.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 4:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
And Morris. That's worse than St. Norbert IMO. MIT is planning to do some work with the bridges at Morris, but no bypass. Raising bridges, realigning the Morris River, etc.
You are right there, they put a bypass around Moosomin, SK years ago and it's great, having to slow down to 50 KMPH through Morris on a supposedly major corridor is pretty ridiculous. Lets save truckers five minutes going through Winnipeg by building Centre Port Way but slowing to 50KM with stops through Morris is okay, yeah our big trade route!

Of course nothing was ever done to address the fact that the "big trade route" gets shut down at Morris for a month or so every ten years but hey we're a trucking province dammit!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 4:49 PM

Likely what has happened, over many years, is the town of Morris has made it clear they want the highway to remain. They get people stopping for gas and food, or whatever. It's the typical small town bypass thing. Business will go down with the bypass.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Likely what has happened, over many years, is the town of Morris has made it clear they want the highway to remain. They get people stopping for gas and food, or whatever. It's the typical small town bypass thing. Business will go down with the bypass.
Between the rivers, railways and flood dikes, Morris is also very expensive and complicated when it comes to building a bypass. If it were as simple as Moosomin's end run around town through farm fields, I'm sure it would have been built decades ago.

Seriously, look at a detailed map and you'll see what I mean. Tracing a reasonably efficient route around the town is not that easy.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 5:11 PM

Quote:
I just drove into Alberta to Calgary from Montana (AB highway 2).. going through Nanton on a way busier highway makes me think 75 isn't as bad as i thought... and Claresholm reminded me exactly of Morris as well.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 5:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Between the rivers, railways and flood dikes, Morris is also very expensive and complicated when it comes to building a bypass. If it were as simple as Moosomin's end run around town through farm fields, I'm sure it would have been built decades ago.

Seriously, look at a detailed map and you'll see what I mean. Tracing a reasonably efficient route around the town is not that easy.
This jogs my memory, wasn't there already preliminary work done on plans for a Morris bypass for the west side of Morris?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 6:12 PM

There is this https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...k9uNGeZ1LVdAMg

But I thought that it has been decided to raise the existing alignment and a few bridges in the area instead of a bypass

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 6:43 PM

Quote:

The challenge with HWY 15 goes way beyond the 101/15 intersection. The volume of traffic it sees more than warrants twinning the road between at minimum 101 and 206. The challenge there is the geography of the road between the train tracks and the highly built of residential along the route. To really expand it in place you require a major and expensive exportation. The same traffic volume could similarly serviced with the long proposed Oak Bank corridor route which would be a four lane replacement for HWY 15 through primarily agricultural lands.

It is also likely worth noting that building the Oak Bank corridor would also allow some of the top 500 dangerous train crossings in Canada to becoming more limited or even permanently closed. Traffic could potentially be routed from PR207 to the OBC to the Perimeter to HWY 15 to PR207 eliminating #29 on the most dangerous crossing list, and by far the highest crossing on the list in the province.

I do not disagree that the Perimeter needs upgrades of its own but from a pure safety and need perspective outside of some of the issues on the south Perimeter the OBC is just as needed if not even more needed.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 6:55 PM
What could go wrong?

The old weigh scales on 59 just north of 101 has been removed and site cleared.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 9:57 PM
BANNED

^^Finally, lol.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 3:03 PM

It really is a shame though they are putting a new set of lights up at the 59 and Wenzel instead of a overpass. They spend all that cash on a new interchange only to add one more light a couple km further north..

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 3:04 PM

^Ya it's stupid. At least the Perimeter will be sweet through there.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastK View Post
It really is a shame though they are putting a new set of lights up at the 59 and Wenzel instead of a overpass. They spend all that cash on a new interchange only to add one more light a couple km further north..
Standard Manitoba operating procedure.

What's going on with 59? I thought they were going to turn it into a 6 lane road at least as far as Garven Road with an interchange at Birds Hill Road. Has that all been deferred indefinitely?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 3:21 PM

Anyone know if the lights at Wenzel are a temporary thing that is part of the planned construction?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 3:24 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Standard Manitoba operating procedure.

What's going on with 59? I thought they were going to turn it into a 6 lane road at least as far as Garven Road with an interchange at Birds Hill Road. Has that all been deferred indefinitely?
I believe that the latest plan called for a future interchange at birds hill road... aka not in my lifetime and I'm young.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan