HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 2:00 PM

Where is the outcry from Winston-Salem
For not having an Amtrak stop? I know Norfolk Southern is a formidable obstacle, but Any other significant city would be lobbying nonstop for a connection!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 2:33 PM

"Where is the outcry from Winston-Salem
For not having an Amtrak stop?" Agreed, where is it? It's the W-S Syndrome, which is to say weak responses, do nothing, and yielding to an array of outside sources to put it euphemistically.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 10:58 PM

[QUOTE=yadkin;9988391]Thanks for this great update Matthew.

“Interstate 74:
Workers are constructing a new bridge and travel lanes to connect the new I-74 construction to the existing I-74.” I really hope the existing to be orphaned section of I 74 to I 40 is given an Interstate designation like I 474 or I 674 or I 874. This is critical, yep critical but NC does not seem to do this in W-S - generally only in other NC cities.

It will be I 285, linking with the section connecting Lexington. I 274 will also be the name of the western beltway. So basically... same number as Charlotte.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 4:57 AM
Fourth and Main

Mayor Pro Tempore Denise Adams is a strong champion for rail transportation in Winston-Salem, including Amtrak, Regional Heavy Rail (HRT), and Light Rail (LRT). She views passenger rail as essential to the future of this city and is doing what she can at the local, state, and federal levels to make it happen. There are strong efforts to bring passenger rail to Winston-Salem right now, including City lobbyists in Washington D.C.,. If money is out there, it's applied for. If opportunities emerge, the City is following the steps to take part in those opportunities. It's brought-up frequently when in the presence of people who can make something happen. It's in City studies, future planning, and goals. Dan Besse, on the Forsyth County Commissioners, is also for passenger rail.

Winston-Salem restored historic Union Station when it was said the city would need a train station before talks about service could begin. That was the best train station restoration in the state (with state and national awards & recognition to prove it) and the money that helped pay for it requires part of the facility to be used for transportation. This is why the top floor is ready for passenger service and there is an elevator and space on the lowest floor of the three-storey building for passenger service. Yes, a spectacular "tourist attraction" station, restored to museum-quality standards from the original blueprints, is ready and waiting! Winston-Salem is a city doing what is asked and what it takes to make it happen. It's often the extreme cost of rail transit in the U.S., and others (railroads, lack of federal funding, State Government, etc.,.) that holds the City back from making it happen. Winston-Salem securing funding through the Corridor Identification and Development (Corridor ID) Program and having a route shown for potential future expansion is the latest news and it was posted here earlier this month.

Union Station Restoration: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...&postcount=575

Last edited by Matthew; Jul 12, 2023 at 5:09 AM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 12:00 PM

Good to hear, Matthew. I hope it comes to fruition for the City soon. I recently rode the Carolinian from High Point to Charlotte and loved it. It would be phenomenal to take the train from Winston to DC.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 12:01 PM

Oh, and Norfolk Southern should be shamed for holding up progress!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Still Grimey, a Winston-Salem vintage clothing store, is moving to a larger space on Sixth Street.

The new location at 91 Sixth St. will open July 29. At more than 2,000 square feet, it is about four times as large as their previous store at 825 Burke Street. The contractor on the project was LMI Builders.
https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...Pos=7#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 4:03 PM

No trains - consistent with everyone’s transportation view of W-S being off the beaten path and keeping them there. “Trains DC to Winston” should have been and should be - not likely. Everyone’s perception of trains in W-S was apparent when the Asheville line was awarded to Salisbury. The argument of tracks in place was ridiculous when a so-called major city (W-S) was - ha - lobbying heavily for it. I repeat W-S is transportationally snakebit on all fronts.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Caleb's Creek residential development could add nearly 3000 new housing units
https://journalnow.com/news/local/ga...c049525.html#1

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 8:19 PM

What's the story behind the windmill in the third picture in the article? It's to the left of the school. Looks interesting.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 8:59 PM

Regarding I 74, the southern terminus of the eastern leg of the beltway (where it joins existing I 74) will be at Union Cross, which leaves a very small part (about 2 miles long) of existing I 74 between Union Cross and I 40 where I 74 now joins I 40 as orphaned about 2.5 miles east of the junction of I 285 and I 40. It's this small stretch that should be signed as I 474, I 674, or I 874 since the western leg of the beltway will be I 274. I know most say so what, but it is very important to have as many signed Interstates as qualify (and this to be severed section obviously qualifies - a matter of simply erecting a sign), and this sort of action is prevalent nationwide just not in NC or W-S.

Sorry, I circled the area on a map but have not yet quite figured out how to post links on this forum.

Last edited by yadkin; Jul 14, 2023 at 2:56 PM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 4:47 AM
Fourth and Main

Still Grimey is a retail tenant in Nationwide Marketing Headquarters and I posted a construction update on their space, a few weeks ago, as an update on that larger project: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...&postcount=791

The housing boom happening right now in Winston-Salem is amazing! It should be exciting to see the Census numbers. I've observed a large number of new housing developments in Forsyth County alone, over the past few months.

If I could go back 120 years in time and recommend a project to Winston-Salem leadership, it would be a rail line connecting Winston-Salem to Nashville. Winston-Salem, the Wilkesboros, Boone, Johnson City, and connect to the line around Monterey that I think connects to Nashville. Amtrak would want to offer that service from the Triangle to Nashville for tourism and business travel. It would also be a great freight line, too. I'm not sure if it can be done today, through the mountains? Maybe it can if it follows highway paths through the mountains and uses existing railroad where possible? It's largely just a connector between western Winston-Salem and Monterey. One possible route, using existing rail, would reduce the new construction to an area between the Wilkesboros and Monterey and it would run along the bottom of the Sauratown Mountains and along Yadkin River, for amazing scenery! I'm thinking this route is still in service by the Yadkin Valley Railway, which I think is headquartered in suburban Winston-Salem? I guess Winston-Salem should investigate this with maybe the correct Tennessee transportation department and look for money to create that service, if possible. That would be a very desirable route! It would also be beneficial to much of the path in Tennessee and northwest N.C., in industry and tourism. I know it could've happened 120 years ago, though.

The line to be studied for service is kept by Norfolk-Southern, because they think it could become a noteworthy freight line again, so they don't want to sell it or allow anyone to do anything with it. However, it's not in use because an original wooden trestle, between Broad Street and Mill 800 Apartments, is falling apart and unsafe... as of 30 years ago! It is unmaintained, but heavily protected by Norfolk-Southern. Just ask developers along Stratford Road! It is in use from Davie County to Charlotte, though. If it could be converted into a non-stop route between downtown Winston-Salem and Charlotte, it could be the fastest rail route to Charlotte from the Triad?

Last edited by Matthew; Jul 13, 2023 at 5:01 AM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 5:22 PM

How do you post pics here?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 7:57 PM

Old Posted Jul 15, 2023, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadkin View Post
Regarding I 74, the southern terminus of the eastern leg of the beltway (where it joins existing I 74) will be at Union Cross, which leaves a very small part (about 2 miles long) of existing I 74 between Union Cross and I 40 where I 74 now joins I 40 as orphaned about 2.5 miles east of the junction of I 285 and I 40. It's this small stretch that should be signed as I 474, I 674, or I 874 since the western leg of the beltway will be I 274. I know most say so what, but it is very important to have as many signed Interstates as qualify (and this to be severed section obviously qualifies - a matter of simply erecting a sign), and this sort of action is prevalent nationwide just not in NC or W-S.
Sorry, I circled the area on a map but have not yet quite figured out how to post links on this forum.
QUESTION: Once the eastern section of the beltway is completed & open to traffic is the earliest that the official interstate shields can be placed on the road?

Also, is the start date of the expansion of 52 through the city to interstate standards ( I-285)to start in ‘24 or ‘25?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2023, 6:18 PM

"QUESTION: Once the eastern section of the beltway is completed & open to traffic is the earliest that the official interstate shields can be placed on the road?" As I recall, original AASHTO rules indicated that the signage should have "future" until connection was made with an other Interstate highway (unless a 3-digit Interstate 1st number odd - spur), which is why NCDOT following the rules (unusual) has signed it NC 74, BUT Google Maps in a bold move has already signed the finished part as I 74 - yeah Google.

"Also, is the start date of the expansion of 52 through the city to interstate standards ( I-285)to start in ‘24 or ‘25?" There does not seem to be any information on this officially, and as far as I know NCDOT has not actually announced this officially, just a heap of semi-official speculation. In fact, NCDOT's project and future project site has nothing major in W-S except eventually the western leg of the beltway.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2023, 11:26 AM
Fourth and Main

Posting photographs here is the same as on the old WSTB Forum. You need a host and use IMG tags. I seem to remember WSTB had a detailed post on it, along with a list of photography hosts, but I couldn't find anything like that here?

I seem to remember the Mayor discussed I-285 through downtown earlier this year? I think a regional DOT board (I think of local elected officials?) has to set it as a regional priority and then seek funding. From what I've heard, they are waiting on I-74 completion. I-74 is the regional priority and I think they are widening I-40 around the Yadkin River. Also, I don't think it can take the I-285 designation unless it meets Interstates on both ends. I-85 is already in place at one end and I-74 will be the other end. And yes, they will have Creative Corridors participation on I-285.

For those from outside the area, North Carolina uses Interstates for economic development. The State pushes them, constantly seeking new Interstates, and major economic development projects ask about them when site selecting. Local environmentalists and local anti-sprawl groups blocked the State in court from enclosing Winston-Salem in wide Interstates for three decades, but the State is determined to build these and promote them to site selectors. They eventually didn't have anything else to block the State with, so now Winston-Salem is finally joining the state's other cities with new Interstates and Interstate widening projects. Starting with I-74 and moving on to I-40 widening and I-285 and I-274. The State is also looking into creating a new west Interstate through Winston-Salem's wine country and maybe an airport connector. Again, it's the State's plan for economic development in cities large and small.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2023, 12:37 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

A new adaptive-reuse proposal to convert an Art Deco Building to apartments and retail, airport restoration renderings, and new murals... This is an exciting update!

Your bad 80s flashback of the week:
Video Link

Kaleideum Science Museum:
The grand opening celebration is set for some time around Valentines Day. The museum is also creating an endowment at the new building.

Credit: yogi_marketer

We rarely see the west facade:

Credit: Bryan Bevis

Truliant Tower:

Purple Lights! Testing the color-changing LEDs on the observation deck floor:

Credit: Bryan Lewis

Loewy Building Apartments & Retail:
It appears as if the buyer for this Art Deco building will be High Tide Capital in Bangor, Maine. They are a new developer to downtown Winston-Salem. Apartments and retail are the expected use, but they (High Tide Capital) haven't closed at this time, so things could change.

4th and Green Apartments & Retail:

Credit: Michael Sears

Nationwide Marketing Headquarters:

An update on Still Grimey's retail space (notice the original glass in the window):

Credit: still.grimey

Long Creek Park: Built!
This large park is finally open. There is talk this is just a first phase and more park amenities will be added in the near future?

Credit: stitchdesignshop

If the Mayor is cutting a ribbon, it's completed! Enjoy your new park:

Lot 63 Taproom + Coffeehouse:
This craft beer brewery and coffee house is now in permitting. The building was built in 1867! It appears as if Windsor will be the General Contractor for this project?

Körner’s Folly Visitors Center:

Credit: wilsoncovington

Forsyth County Courthouse:
This project looks better than the renderings the architect was sharing.

Credit: JwFDTM418Ds

1782 George Stockburger House Restoration:

They found this walkway at the house, recently:

Credit: stockburgerfarmhouse

624 North Trade:
And now that exterior work is completed, they are signing retail leases! "Poured Art by Brian" has leased the smaller space at 626. A perfect tenant for downtown's Arts District!

Heritage Park:
A new residential development by developer Grand Silo Development and architect Planworx. Two apartment buildings in the development could reach four storeys in height.

Typical work we always see from this architect:

Credit: City of Winston-Salem

Alternative Transportation:

Smith Reynolds Airport Restoration:
Construction will start on August 3, with a big ceremony. I.L. Long Construction is the general contractor and C Design / Michael Graves Architecture & Design are the architects. Workers will renovate the building to its original appearance from 82 years ago. This terminal will be restored to wow visitors with its original Streamline Art Moderne design, but will be updated with modern amenities and updated building systems. The building was designed by the top airport terminal architect of that time, Howard Cheney. Though the fireplace was partially removed, much of the luxury Sky Club remains intact behind the 1980s walls, including a nice Art Moderne wood mosaic of the airport and its runways, with weather instruments built into it. Some of the original windows were covered, over the years, and workers will uncover those windows and restore them. One feature to be restored is architect Howard Cheney's original wall of glass in the waiting room (a signature of his terminal designs) that allowed people in the waiting room to see the runways and airplanes as they arrived and departed. The waiting room will also have a 1931 Savoia-Marchetti S.56c biplane on display, suspended from the ceiling, similar to the one flown by the person the airport is named after (see story below). The original 1941 mural in the waiting room, by Charles Jenkins, Jr., will return to its original location in the terminal. A DC-3 in Piedmont Airlines livery, similar to those flown by commercial airlines at the airport when it opened, will be displayed outside. Piedmont Airlines was one of the nation's major passenger airlines and was headquartered in Winston-Salem until 1989. They started with DC-3 aircraft in the 1940s and flew as many of their flights through this airport as possible. This was the busiest airport in the Carolinas until the 1970s and was selected by the airlines as the nation's best airport when it opened. It should be amazing to see it restored to that appearance. Completion is set for 2024.

This will replace the ugly 1963 Piedmont Airlines Waiting Room:

Credit: C Design

Rental car wing demolished, glass restored to the top floor, and a Piedmont Airlines DC-3 on display:

I thought this building was originally clad in red brick? If it's painted white, it's not an accurate restoration:

You can see the 1931 Savoia-Marchetti S.56c biplane hanging from the ceiling

The wealthy Winston-Salem pilot and world record holder the airport was named for (Zachary "Smith" Reynolds) owned and flew a Savoia-Marchetti S.56c. He purchased and modified the plane for a round-the-world flight. He used it to set a world record for longest point-to-point solo circumnavigation over land. The plane that will be displayed (hanging from the ceiling) was loaned to the Carolinas Aviation Museum several years ago, but will be moved to Smith Reynolds Airport for permanent display, when airport restoration work is completed. Smith Reynolds Airport will be one of only three locations with a Savoia-Marchetti S.56c on public display. The other locations are museums in New York and Philadelphia.

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

Credit: bestofwinston

Restoring a 1920s "Juliet Door" in Winston-Salem's Buena Vista Neighborhood:

Credit: salem_heritage

Credit: roberthallwsnc

Live music at downtown's Corpening Plaza Water Gardens & Park:

Credit: DWSP

Concert on downtown's Fourth Street / Restaurant Row:

Downtown Arts District:

I posted on plans for this mural at the old WSTB Forum and now it's completed.

A mural of Winston-Salem hip hop star 9th Wonder:

Credit: Rettop DoubleRr

Look for a mural of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame group "The "5" Royales" (also from Winston-Salem) on Big Winston Warehouse.

Your City

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 6:24 PM

Wow, thanks for all of your interest and work, Matthew!

Regarding I 285, I think everyone hopes for the best and yes there is a heap of talk and it really makes sense. Still, until it gets onto the NCDOT project list or future project list it does not exist, does it?

Regarding Smith Reynolds, we certainly must applaud what is at work there and there are aviation related businesses as well as Forsyth Tech applications. But it's just a nice museum until commercial flights return.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 9:59 PM

I love the The "5" Royales mural!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations