HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo0mercury0ooo View Post
What is the construction site for Joshua Building?
The site on the picture Looks like its there by Malibu castle right next to the marriot hotel on the corner of 410 and I-10

Can someone explain to me the site for the joshua building..
I love it by the way..
You're right. Its right there on the empty triangular lot on Cherry Ridge.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
You're right. Its right there on the empty triangular lot on Cherry Ridge.
Here's more info-

PROJECT-It is proposed to construct a 300,000 square foot, 20 story, Class "A" office building. It would provide 11 stories of office space on decreasing size floor plates as one ascends the upper floors. The first floor would be given over to lobby area, some commercial use and service functions, a possible branch bank or executive service. Parking requirements would be serviced with a multi-level parking structure of approximately 4 levels. Additional floors may be added as required.

http://www.arieltexasstar.com/resour...g-Internet.pdf

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 7:42 AM

Cabi Developers was planning Bella Vista, a 12-story hotel and adjacent 15-story condo tower last year. Anyone know if this project will break ground soon?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 8:28 AM

It looks like Galleria Ventures is trying to sell the 300 acres at I-10/1604 that was planned for the La Joya mixed-use development. I'm glad that project is scraped. Once eilan and some of the large-scale developments (mid-rise office) are finished this land will be prime for more mid-rise development.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
Here's more info-

PROJECT-It is proposed to construct a 300,000 square foot, 20 story, Class "A" office building. It would provide 11 stories of office space on decreasing size floor plates as one ascends the upper floors. The first floor would be given over to lobby area, some commercial use and service functions, a possible branch bank or executive service. Parking requirements would be serviced with a multi-level parking structure of approximately 4 levels. Additional floors may be added as required.

http://www.arieltexasstar.com/resour...g-Internet.pdf
These documents are from 2004. In fact both properties (this and the tract near The Rim) are listed for sale on Mr. Abramoff's website. I don't think we will see either built.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
These documents are from 2004. In fact both properties (this and the tract near The Rim) are listed for sale on Mr. Abramoff's website. I don't think we will see either built.
That's strange. The sign that's at the proposed site looks new.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
That's strange. The sign that's at the proposed site looks new.
It was just put up this week.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 9:48 AM

Don't like Joshua building either but it'll be nice to see a new highrise office building in that area. I do like the Rim building though I would much rather see it built somewhere else. IH10 410 area near the Joshua building site would be a good area or perhaps the North Star Mall area.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando View Post
Don't like Joshua building either but it'll be nice to see a new highrise office building in that area. I do like the Rim building though I would much rather see it built somewhere else. IH10 410 area near the Joshua building site would be a good area or perhaps the North Star Mall area.
I keep hoping for something new in the North Star area. The strip mall across 410 from NS seems to be next for redevelopment; Circuit City closed, Linens n' Things closed and World Market is moving to the Park North garage across from the Target.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
I keep hoping for something new in the North Star area. The strip mall across 410 from NS seems to be next for redevelopment; Circuit City closed, Linens n' Things closed and World Market is moving to the Park North garage across from the Target.
I was also thinking somewhere in Park North near the Sears/Bennigans area. I would say put up a nice high rise to replace the the two twin buildings that were knocked down when Park North was built.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 3:16 PM

I would hope that the aging apartment stock in the area would be addressed. That area has the potential to be a great center in the city, kinda like Tysons Corner, VA.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 8:43 PM

City South Criticized for a Lack of Growth

By Vianna Davila - Express-News
Albert Escobedo never wanted to live in urban sprawl. So he picked up and moved south, to a rural property off Applewhite Road.

But Tuesday, Escobedo found himself at a public meeting in the Southside High School cafeteria, criticizing the lack of South Side development and the entity many of the five dozen attendees hold responsible for the slow pace of growth.

At issue was the City South Management Authority, created in 2003 to oversee development in the mostly rural South Side territory roughly bounded by loops 410 and 1604 and interstates 35 and 37.

The city- and county-led project was envisioned as a means to foster growth in an area that's seen little development, and to do so in a way that avoids North Side-style suburban and commercial sprawl.

“Let's not only create investment, but let's do it better,” said former Mayor Ed Garza, who pushed for the creation of City South while in office and now serves as its chairman. “Let's raise the standard, let's raise the bar.”

But today, despite the shovels turning dirt at a future Texas A&M campus and the pickups rolling out at Toyota's plant, most of the land remains rural and undeveloped. Escobedo blames City South.

“The way they have it, who wants to buy my land right now?” said Escobedo, whose property is zoned light and heavy industrial, meaning a developer can't buy it to build homes or commercial buildings.

While he wants to keep his land undeveloped while he lives there, he wants the option to sell it at a profit and then move farther out into the country.

Critics argue that the authority's restrictive zoning and design rules have hamstrung progress because the majority of the area's 60-plus square miles can't be developed into neighborhoods — which they say drive commercial and retail development.

“There's no rooftops. There's no H-E-B. If there's no people, there's nothing,” said Roger Gray, a real estate broker working with a group that's formed in opposition to City South, called the Home Ownership & Land Affordability Coalition, or HOLA.

HOLA, whose Web site said it opposes “excessive land-use regulation,” organized last week's meeting.

The organizers also have aligned themselves with Ernest and Jesús Chacon, brothers and landowners who with several others are embroiled in a federal lawsuit with the city to recover the value they believe they've lost because of a three-mile buffer zone established around Toyota. The city's original agreement with Toyota includes a nonbinding provision in which city officials essentially pledged to discourage residential development within the zone, deemed non-compatible with heavy manufacturing.

While several local officeholders have stopped short of calling for dissolving the entity, which the City Council reserves the right to do, they expressed some frustration.

“Nothing has really happened over the course of the years,” said Councilwoman Jennifer Ramos, whose district includes much of City South. “We want to make sure it's a well thought-out plan. But we don't want to make it too restrictive that it doesn't allow development to come in.”

As HOLA conducted its “Free City South” session Tuesday, Bill Manuel sat across the street at a meeting called by state Rep. Joe Farias, D-San Antonio. Part of Farias' aim was to gauge public opinion on City South.

Manuel, who owns 61/2 acres off Blue Wing Road, didn't know what to think about it until he dealt with the management board regarding a proposed zoning change near his property.

He found City South receptive, and he applauded its zoning rules because it means sprawling developments are less likely to creep up on his property.

“Without zoning, then anybody could come in and put up Section 8 housing,” Manuel said. “They could come in and put up low-cost housing. They could put in a junkyard.”

Garza said City South was designed to fit the needs of the existing residents but also foster sustainable, measured growth that translates not into just more homes but communities: The plan calls for homes with porches, walkable neighborhoods and tree-lined streets.

It sounded wonderful, Councilwoman Ramos said.

But those amenities ultimately increase the price of a house in an area where the average income for a family of four is $30,000 to $35,000 a year, Ramos said.

Sugar Land-based developer Charlie Turner says he'll break ground next year on a 1,340-acre planned community at U.S. 281 and Loop 410. But he plans to apply for a variance so his contractors aren't constrained by the City South design code.

Among both supporters and detractors, many do not understand City South, how it works or what it was meant to do.

City South's management authority is overseen by a 15-member board: six members each from the city and the county, plus three from the Southwest, Southside and East Central school districts.

Bexar County Commissioner Sergio “Chico” Rodriguez, who compared City South to a cancer, said he will not move forward with City South plans until Toyota clarifies where its 3-mile buffer begins and ends and how the automaker and the city will work to compensate landowners such as the Chacons for the lost value of their property.

But Garza cautioned that compensating landowners, even in the Toyota buffer zone, would set a strong precedent.

“I think anybody in the city could say then, ‘I don't like my zoning,'” he said.

Ramos said she continues to work with city staff to draft a feasible compromise that could ease zoning and design restrictions in parts of City South outside the Toyota buffer zone.

Realistically, Garza said, it would take three to four decades for any entity to develop an area as large as City South.

“These fights are to be expected,” Garza said. “The bottom line is, does our community have the political will to say, ‘We want to do things differently' — do we want to do things better?”

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 3:21 AM

Alamo Drafthouse picks site for new Stone Oak theater

San Antonio Business Journal

A new Alamo Drafthouse Cinema will open at the Village at Stone Oak during the fall of 2010, according to Developers Diversified Realty Corp., the owner of the shopping center.

The planned Alamo Drafthouse Cinema will have six screens in its movie theater and will have a seating capacity for 900 people. Like the other two Alamo Drafthouse Cinemas in San Antonio, customers will be able to order food and drinks from the menu throughout the movie. Seating begins 45 minutes before a show to give people time to order food or beer.

“Alamo Drafthouse Cinema provides a great alternative to your typical night out for dinner and a movie,” says Brandon Arceneaux, a partner with Reel Dinner Partners LLC, the local franchise owner for Alamo Drafthouse Cinema. “We look forward to bringing our concept to the upscale shopping center atmosphere that Village at Stone Oak represents.”

Arceneaux told the Business Journal last month that he and his business partner Chris Hoegemeyer were eyeing sites in the Stone Oak area for the new theater. Reel Deal Partners also owns the Alamo Drafthouse at the former Westlakes Mall and the newest one at Park North, the redeveloped site of the former Central Park Mall.

Village at Stone Oak is a 635,000-square-foot mixed-use shopping center that’s located at the intersection of U.S. Highway 281 and Loop 1604. The shopping center also has a SuperTarget, HomeGoods and Cost Plus World Market.

Developers Diversified Realty (NYSE: DDR), based in Beachwood, Ohio, owns and manages 665 retail properties. The real estate company’s shopping center portfolio totals more than 147 million square feet of space in the United States, Brazil, Canada and Puerto Rico.

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sa...23/daily8.html

Last edited by jlav74; Nov 24, 2009 at 3:23 AM. Reason: adding san biz journal url

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 7:41 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

The Village at Stone Oak is at 281 and Stone Oak Parkway. It's nowhere near 1604.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
“These fights are to be expected,” Garza said. “The bottom line is, does our community have the political will to say, ‘We want to do things differently' — do we want to do things better?”
This is what it all boils down to. The article already mentions several elected oficials that are buckling to pressure from their supporters.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
This is what it all boils down to. The article already mentions several elected oficials that are buckling to pressure from their supporters.
That's why most politicians should just keep their hands off in situations like this unless they are truly passionate about the vision.
They probably latched onto this so if something positive happened, they could use it for future elections. However, now that nothing is happening, they are pointing fingers.
These things take time, especially when allowed to occur naturally.
410 is getting fixed up, cross streets expanded and crossovers added. Once complete, the city/county could move to the infastructure and ensure that it remains continuous like the rest of the southside. If the roads are built in a gird pattern, that would be 100X better than any "neighborhood" in the burbs.
Long-term vision;
it might not be Stone-Oak fast, but growth is slowly taking shape on the Southside.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 5:46 PM

Agreed miaht. City South will be built out the way a neighborhood should, through catalytic forces like Toyota, the UP yard, and institutions like TAMU-SA and the park system. A lot of people are probably still averse to anything on the "south side", so its going to take word of mouth as much as anything to sell what's happening here. I have no doubt that things will get in motion soon on the housing front, though.

If they have the guts not to cave in.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Agreed miaht. City South will be built out the way a neighborhood should, through catalytic forces like Toyota, the UP yard, and institutions like TAMU-SA and the park system. A lot of people are probably still averse to anything on the "south side", so its going to take word of mouth as much as anything to sell what's happening here. I have no doubt that things will get in motion soon on the housing front, though.

If they have the guts not to cave in.
I strongly believe that things are rolling in the right direction. Once SE Baptist (I found a rendering; bottom of page 12) moves to Brooks, TAMU-SA keeps moving dirt and Toyota picks up production, the growth will come. Not only that; as traffic gets worse on 281, new housing gets more expensive as land becomes less available on the North side, people will look to the south side more for housing options.
Another scenario, and one that I like better; if DT can emerge as a power regional center in the next 10 years, to include mass transit, new offices, huge jump in residential/retail development (RN) and be an entertainment draw for locals; that, along with an obvious increase in population, will naturally draw people back to the core and that includes new development around 410 south since it is a short drive to/from downtown.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
The Village at Stone Oak is at 281 and Stone Oak Parkway. It's nowhere near 1604.
I agree w/ you. I was thinking the same thing when I read the article.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 9:27 PM

The site plan for the planned office building near the RIM can be found on page 27.

http://epay.sanantonio.gov/dsddocume...A%20Agenda.pdf

A little more information on the project (though full or errors and outdated information):

http://www.arieltexasstar.com/resour...112807-001.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio