HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 1:30 AM
BROOKLYN

I don't mean to be negative but when any nice public thing in New York is built it is soon trashed and vandalized within 24 hrs. Did anyone take into consideration that this station is basically a blank canvas for graffiti? I just do not see this lasting and hope their will be some sort of strict sanitation or surveillance. Or maybe people will have respect for the site. I just don't want to see this beautiful hub ruined. That's all. And btw Zen that diagram really helps. The whole site has pratically a whole underground level!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 1:55 AM
Honored Member

I think you have old, 1970'S New York in mind. I remember the subway cars covered in graffiti as was every square foot of flat wall space. We've come a long way baby ! (Virginia Slims)

The WTC well probably be the most policed site in the city. (By no less than three differend police departments, NYPD, PAPD and TAPD.)

I am of the opinion that the renderings do not do it justice and that the finished PATH Hall well be better than what the artists came up with.

PS: The whole site has 5 underground levels, less than half well be public spaces.

PPS: Try and find a 16 acre building 5 stories high anywhere in the world. That is the below grade area of the WTC, this place is HUGE.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; Nov 18, 2010 at 2:11 AM. Reason: expanding thoughts

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 2:15 AM
King

PPS: Try and find a 16 acre building 5 stories high anywhere in the world. That is the below grade area of the WTC, this place is HUGE.[/QUOTE]

3.5 million square feet. pretty big for a basement

Last edited by Mr. Lion; Nov 18, 2010 at 2:15 AM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 5:22 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lion View Post
so the renders made it look allot more impressive than it will be.....this saddens me
All I can tell you is to wait until you actually see one. Why be burdened with sadness until then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey View Post
I don't mean to be negative but when any nice public thing in New York is built it is soon trashed and vandalized within 24 hrs. Did anyone take into consideration that this station is basically a blank canvas for graffiti?
Oh, you just go down there and try it!

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 7:33 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Plus this area is like the Canary Wharf of New York, classy and businessy, no one's gonna tag this and if they do, bam! laser guns that transport you to the security center handcuffed and all

Zen, it's actually good to hear that the hall is smaller. But maybe the rendering just has some perspective issues. it's pretty wide after all, and with some wide renderings i do it also makes things a bit wide. I think that's the issue, as for the number of arches, I wouldn't know.

But the more arched they get, the better they'll look. I'm still not sure about the giant "bird" on street level. Is that a floor above this one or what? I always thought there would be a giant atrium going 2 floors underground.

I don't mean to be a troll... but I wonder what Zaha could've come up with! I mean, she wouldn't have designed something crappy knowing the history of the site, so she could've come up with a very genius design. I just wonder what people would've said when they found out she was Iraqi, even though, imo, would be a great step towards improving our relationship with both nations. But that's another topic...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 11:51 AM
BROOKLYN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
All I can tell you is to wait until you actually see one. Why be burdened with sadness until then?

Oh, you just go down there and try it!
I think I will

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 8:52 PM
King

[QUOTE=NYguy;5060017]All I can tell you is to wait until you actually see one. Why be burdened with sadness until then?

cause that's definitely what i meant...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 10:24 PM
BROOKLYN

What I was trying to say, is that it's like having a new pair of white shoes, those shoes aren't going to be that nice clean white that you it bought for, for much longer. How are they going to keep the white clean of this station?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 11:31 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
What I was trying to say, is that it's like having a new pair of white shoes, those shoes aren't going to be that nice clean white that you it bought for, for much longer. How are they going to keep the white clean of this station?
They will use a chemical spray and repaint and repair anything damaged. Grafitti is easy to remove it only takes a couple of minutes; in fact if you see grafitti anywhere in the city you can call 311 and have cleaners clean anything up within a few weeks(this site will be clean within 3 hours if there is any grafitti, trust me). This is what happened when my street was tagged. I am wondering where you are from because you seem to think that there is a lot of grafitti in New York, which hasnt been true since chemical sprays were invented to remove grafitti in seconds.

If you are asking how they will keep the station fresh 20 years from now, well the answer is they wont and there will be news in the press about how dirty the WTC hub is and future albany/nyc will throw 50 million at the problem to fix it. The real question is will the cleaning/polishing of the station come in 20 years or 40.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 1:53 AM
BROOKLYN

^^^ I'm from Brooklyn (its in my location) where there is a ton of graffiti.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 2:45 AM
Honored Member

There well be a cleaning crew, PA personnel I would assume. As for the heavy lifting like light replacement and window washing, there is a neat little boom lift that fits through a 36 inch wide door that when fully deployed can reach up to 135 feet in radios.

I'll see if I have a print showing it in "action".

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 2:20 PM
New Yorker for life

^ I don't even think it's a concern. Even the Port Authority Bus Terminal is relatively clean these days.
Anybody who doesn't think the area will be protected can just march right on down there and try "tagging" something when it opens..

NOVEMBER 18, 2010

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 2:46 AM
BROOKLYN

^^^ LOL, the Port Authority Bus Terminal is piece of trash. I used it the other day. I was exaggerating with the graffiti. A station thats freakin white isn't going to stay squeaky clean by itself. My question was already answered anyway. I'm lovin' the Museum btw

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 4:01 AM
Go 2WTC!

It's great to see progress. I'm amazed that the original Twin Tower "tridents" will be stored there for the next year an a half until the museum is finished. Aren't they worried that something will happen to them?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 8:30 AM

^^^He, you're kidding right? I don't think they can get damaged any more then they already have.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 12:27 PM
Go 2WTC!

True. Now that I think about it, who would want to damage them anyway? But still, it would have been better if they hadn't been damaged in the first place.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 7:02 PM

Quote:
^^^ LOL, the Port Authority Bus Terminal is piece of trash. I used it the other day. I was exaggerating with the graffiti. A station thats freakin white isn't going to stay squeaky clean by itself. My question was already answered anyway. I'm lovin' the Museum btw
Ugh, I could picture it now. Five years later, there's a good foot of dirt resting on top of the arches. I'll personally drag Mr. Calatrava down there if I have to, to witness the mutilation of his precious arches.

I believe they will have some sort of dust/chemical filter in the air conditioners to keep the dust away, but after a while it will become inevitable.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 8:45 PM

Well Jesus then why build anything nice, lets just not spend any money on public spaces anywhere because they might get vandalized or dirty. I mean, have you seen the way taggers have ruined Grand Central Station?!?!?

Come on people pull yourselves together!!!
This isn't a just any old subway station, its the World Fricken Trade Center, not to mention a mall with retailers in the financial district of Manhattan. No one's gonna vandalize this place, (except for the bathrooms), and as for dirt- its just dirt. Yes the arches will get dirty, but someone's gonna clean it up, and I suspect sooner rather then later, given all the traffic going through there as well as the fact that it is a retail destination. They've built Calatrava structures elsewhere, people know how to clean them.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 11:18 PM
BROOKLYN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
Well Jesus then why build anything nice, lets just not spend any money on public spaces anywhere because they might get vandalized or dirty. I mean, have you seen the way taggers have ruined Grand Central Station?!?!?

Come on people pull yourselves together!!!
This isn't a just any old subway station, its the World Fricken Trade Center, not to mention a mall with retailers in the financial district of Manhattan. No one's gonna vandalize this place, (except for the bathrooms), and as for dirt- its just dirt. Yes the arches will get dirty, but someone's gonna clean it up, and I suspect sooner rather then later, given all the traffic going through there as well as the fact that it is a retail destination. They've built Calatrava structures elsewhere, people know how to clean them.
Okay calm down. The problem was already resolved. No one said they didn't not want nice public space but the opposite. Anything white is going to be inevitably dirty. I don't want such a nice thing to be ruined and things do get ruined but it will be simply cleaned up. It was just a concern.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 11:40 PM

It was more of a response to Bstyles, and sorry for the tone. It just seems when momentum builds on a certain topic like this, (or like "when will the glass go up"), then there is a flurry of responses about the same topic. It's just sort of redundant. My apologies.

As for the hub itself I'm surprised there hasn't been as much news here about the arches over the concourse next to the memorial. It's actually starting to come along with several big arches but in place.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture