HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
and yesterday we both were in headlines for our math skills sinking

very true..maybe we're not so different from them, well other than thier a re-source rich powerehouse? I have to take the good with the bad.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 5:05 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the province and hudbay have been working on and implimenting inferstructure to deal with the problem for a few year now while working towards better curiqulim for schools th selfs

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 5:09 PM

Quote:
the province and hudbay have been working on and implimenting inferstructure to deal with the problem for a few year now while working towards better curiqulim for schools th selfs
This is good to here, do you have any links so I could catch up on the progress and programs thier implementing?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 6:22 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

newest center 1000 waverly is good start

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 10:42 PM

Thanks for this, it is a good start.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 8:28 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

boeing sends all new hires there for instance to take training for toes tests and people in aprentership can go there for help with school work

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 2:28 PM

Quote:
boeing sends all new hires there for instance to take training for toes tests and people in aprentership can go there for help with school work
I do appreciate the reports Iajs, but could you please use spell check and maybe toss in some sentence structure? It would make your posts easier to understand. Or maybe you are trying to invent a new code book for NSA?

edit: What the heck is a "toe tests"?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 4:06 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

honestly i have no idea how ur having troubl reading my sentance

anyhow http://www.wem.mb.ca/west_centre_winnipeg.aspx

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 6:16 PM

Holy Bejeebers!!
The announcements continue?

I just posted the whole article. we heard about PTH 6 a while back but all the announcements in the last few weeks?

Province commits $225 million to northern roads

The province outlined its five-year plan today to spend $225 million to fix the main route to Manitoba’s north.

Premier Greg Selinger and Infrastructure and Transportation Minister Steve Ashton said upgrades to Hwy. 6 will include bridge replacements, intersection improvements, curve realignments, and design work for new passing lanes. They also announced plans to surface all of Provincial Roads 373 and 374, which will be access points to the east side road network currently under construction.

"Upgrading PTH 6 to national highway standards is the next step to improve our strategic trade routes for people and goods from Winnipeg through the Interlake and to the north," Selinger said.

Work to the southern section Hwy. 6 includes paving 28.4 kilometres of asphalt from Grosse Isle (PR 322) to PR 248 including curve realignment of the road in vicinity of Woodlands, improving intersections in the vicinity of Lake Francis and improving intersections at the Ashern Auction Mart Road.

Planned upgrades to the northern section of Hwy. 6 include paving 31 km of asphalt from Devils Lake to 31 km north of Devils Lake; paving 10.5 km of asphalt from 49 km north of Devils Lake to 59.5 km north of Devils Lake and paving 28.4 km of asphalt from the Wabowden access to Sasagiu Rapids.

Selinger said the surfacing of Provincial Roads 373 and 374 will improve trade and travel to Cross Lake and Norway House

"These upgrades are an important step toward connecting east side communities to the rest of the province," he said.

Source

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 9:04 PM

This is probably how it should have went when the initially introduced the PST increase...

"The increase will make an additional $x Million in revenue. This is exactly how we are going to spend that full $x Million: ..."

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 10:17 PM

Right now my tally is at $752M over the next 5 years for projects that have been announced as using the PST increase. This includes:
PTH 6 ($225M)
PTH 9 ($45M)
PTH 10 ($67M)
PTH 75 ($215M)
Southwest Perimeter ($200M)

The province expects to bring in $278M per year, for a total of $1.39B. So that still leaves, at my count, $638M in spending that is required over the next 5 years to meet their commitment. So expect the announcements to continue. Or maybe they'll hold off for a year or two.

But I would expect the Headingley bypass to be one, say approx. $200M to get to St. FX. Interchange at Perimeter is basically completed, need one bridge and two loops. Highway style fly-overs at #1 at St. FX (similar to Portage bypass style).

I'm still banking on 59n/101 interchange to come out one of these days. Unless someone can dash my dreams with some info. Say $100M for that one still.

That still leaves roughly $300M to spend. Any other guesses? Maybe the Kenaston/Waverly interchange. PR 300 interchange.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 11:51 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

What about the $500 million per year structural deficit they have? What will cover that?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 12:03 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

glad to hear about the upgrades in the north badly needed

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
What about the $500 million per year structural deficit they have? What will cover that?
A 2% increase in the PST to 10%.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 4:14 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
A 2% increase in the PST to 10%.
The election is a ways away, it wouldn't surprise me. It's what families are asking for going forward.

I'm practising my selingerspeak.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 8:07 PM

Quote:
I assume you're talking about all the bridges that are falling down?

We've almost gone one day without an infrastructure announcement. How boring... Lol Someone should start one of those counters. X days without an accident!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 8:49 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I assume you're talking about all the bridges that are falling down?
No.

http://lexicon.ft.com/Term?term=structural-deficit

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Ahh yes. Makes sense. Ie, the cow is too fat to support itself.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 7:47 PM

Thier was a good post earlier ^ here on the Infrastructure spending announced by the Provincial Gov't over the next 5 years due to the PST hike. A break down of the expenditures to be made.

Here's the article on the plan. I enjoyed the last paragraphs from the Authors.(red)

Larry Kusch and Bruce Owen
"Infrastructure investments"

Here's what the NDP promised Manitobans in the past month on infrastructure spending:

$215 million for Highway 75. The aim is to keep it open during all but 1997-level floods and will involve diverting the Morris River so it flows into the Red River further north.
$225 million towards the second phase of rapid transit in south Winnipeg, including adding additional vehicle and bike lanes to the Pembina-Jubilee Underpass.
$200 million over the next five years to start rebuilding the southwest quadrant of the Perimeter Highway, essentially from Portage Avenue to Pembina Highway and Highway 75. Included is a diamond interchange at McGillivray Boulevard that will do away with traffic-control lights.
$67 million to upgrade Highway 10 from Riding Mountain National Park to the U.S. border, including new passing lanes, curve realignments and asphalt resurfacing.
$45 million for Highway 9 from Winnipeg to Winnipeg Beach for concrete reconstruction, asphalt resurfacing and better road drainage.
$225 million for Highway 6 from Winnipeg to Thompson, including bridge replacements, intersection improvements, curve realignments and design work for new passing lanes. Included in that amount are plans to surface Provincial Roads 373 and 374, which will be access points to the east side road network currently under construction.

The total for these six projects is $997 million over five years.

So, in a nutshell, over the past month the province has promised that almost $1 billion will be spent over the next few years on six road projects.

The actual accounting, which level of government pays what and by when, remains kind of fuzzy.
Not that it matters much anyway... there's only one source.
Sigh.
At least the roads will be smoother.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi..._the_Dome.html

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 8:31 PM

^Thanks Cyro. I'm pretty sure the rapid transit funding was to be via borrowing, as per a Free Press article recently. Maybe they'll lump it in with the PST hike instead.

I wonder what exactly will be done with the #1 east. Twinning to the Ontario border I think is the "must" for that project. I know there was some talk of plans back a few years ago in Ontario about twinning a section just inside the border with Manitoba.

I also seen in the MIT tenders release that they will be reconstructing the box culverts that were left over from the PTH 1 rebuild from Deacon's corner to PTH 12. So that's nice. I always find it funny when driving out that way. It's brand new highway for a long stretch, crappy road over the culvert for a small stretch, than nice highway again afterwards.

Edit: So no twinning...
http://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.htm...ve=&item=19934

Projects on PTH 1 east include:

intersection improvements at PTH 206;
intersection improvements at PTH 207 (Deacon’s Corner);
32 kilometres of grade widening on the eastbound lanes from Brokenhead River to the Greater Winnipeg Water District Railway;
32 km of paving on the eastbound lanes from Brokenhead River to PTH 11;
30 km of paving from 0.5 km west of PTH 12 to PR 302;
21.3 km of paving on the westbound lanes from PTH 11 to PR 308;
bridge rehabilitation at Birch River, east of Prawda;
new bridge at Fish Creek, 6.7 km west of PTH 12;
bridge rehabilitation at Hamilton Creek;
new structure at the inter-municipal drain, 1.3 km west of PTH 12; and
structure rehabilitation at Whitemouth River, west of Prawda.

Map here.

Last edited by bomberjet; Dec 12, 2013 at 8:43 PM. Reason: Added stuff

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan