HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 5:49 PM
Urbane observer

BNSF? I don't think they take an active interest in the Air Line any more, though they still have a—what?—25 percent interest. I think CN or UP would be making that decision. Since the bridge has been up since April, apparently no one feels it's vital infrastructure at the moment.

The aerial images of the new road are actually from Paschen Construction, not Steven Vance.
https://twitter.com/fhpaschen/status...43918026956808

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 6:46 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Beautiful rendering. I take it the nuclear blast wave is just milliseconds away??

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 6:50 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
BNSF? I don't think they take an active interest in the Air Line any more, though they still have a—what?—25 percent interest. I think CN or UP would be making that decision. Since the bridge has been up since April, apparently no one feels it's vital infrastructure at the moment.

The aerial images of the new road are actually from Paschen Construction, not Steven Vance.
https://twitter.com/fhpaschen/status...43918026956808
Ah thanks, the photo was retweeted without a credit so I took a guess on the source.

For BNSF, it looks like the city deferred to them for approval of the design:
https://webapps1.chicago.gov/vcsearc...ntracts/137119

I know the SCAL is a joint facility but BNSF seems to be in the managing role with respect to this project, despite running few or no trains here. There is not a similar agreement with any of the other roads that I can find. Perhaps BNSF is uniquely suited to manage the project (stronger engineering dept, etc).

Last edited by ardecila; Dec 15, 2020 at 7:01 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 7:12 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Nice photos in the link, glad to see infrastructure is moving along well. Photos appear to show separate, dedicated sidewalks and bikelanes...which one of the twitter respondents clearly didn't notice (God, I hate social media).

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 7:25 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Yes we definitely need those trains zipping on the SCAL.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Ah thanks, the photo was retweeted without a credit so I took a guess on the source.

For BNSF, it looks like the city deferred to them for approval of the design:
https://webapps1.chicago.gov/vcsearc...ntracts/137119

I know the SCAL is a joint facility but BNSF seems to be in the managing role with respect to this project, despite running few or no trains here. There is not a similar agreement with any of the other roads that I can find. Perhaps BNSF is uniquely suited to manage the project (stronger engineering dept, etc).
What route is Amtrak using to get CoNO, Illini and Saluki to CUS off the CN Lakefront line?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 8:04 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
What route is Amtrak using to get CoNO, Illini and Saluki to CUS off the CN Lakefront line?
They're using the CN Iowa Division past the Ping Tom entrance, south through 21st Street onto NS. Then reversing and backing across the lift bridge, past Ping Tom Memorial Park, and north into CUS.

They could have been doing the very same thing for 45 years, which would have kept them out of BNSF's way. I'm not sure what changed this spring.

ardecila, that's very interesting about BNSF supervising the work. I'll have to ask a friend who works there about it.

Last edited by Mr Downtown; Dec 15, 2020 at 9:59 PM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Wells Wentworth Update

The new section of Wells north of the tracks is great! It's so refreshing to see a street that is less than 50% devoted to cars.

Also the Bailey bridges have vanished. Maybe the railroad (BNSF in this case) agreed to a longer closure so they just build the permanent bridge.

src: Twitter/FH Paschen
nice place for motorcycle drag racing for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 7:46 PM
TL;DR

Sacramento has a similar "boulevard through nowhere"... they opened it to traffic even though it doesn't currently provide any access. Closer to home, CDOT opened the new section of Lake Shore Drive through South Works.

It may be better for CDOT to open Wells-Wentworth once it's completed, so it's less of a target for vandalism and street racing, fly dumping, etc. It would also ease congestion on Clark. Eventually CTA will probably send a bus route down Wells, but it probably won't happen until there's development.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 3:48 AM
Urbane observer

I think Related will probably prevent public access to Wells at least until DPI construction is well along. There's just no reason to allow public use of the road until the public has something to get to . . . or unless the PD requires it.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 5:10 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I think Related will probably prevent public access to Wells at least until DPI construction is well along. There's just no reason to allow public use of the road until the public has something to get to . . . or unless the PD requires it.
It would be nice if they opened a pedestrian connection to Ping Tom Park at least, dozens of us would use it.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 8:11 PM
BANNED

What a great project!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 6:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
Here's a new breathless rendering of the 78 with the OMA project placed in context:

As much as I love Calder's Flamingo I feel like we only need one in the city, and it's much stronger surrounded by black Mies

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 7:17 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ LOL! nice catch.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 2:39 PM

Seriously. Someone must have been a Where's Waldo? whiz back in the day.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf612 View Post
As much as I love Calder's Flamingo I feel like we only need one in the city, and it's much stronger surrounded by black Mies
That! And it seems Chicago stole Sheep Piece 1971-1972

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf612 View Post

I am encouraged to see them putting a placeholder public art piece in the rendering, though – it feels like a missing piece in some of these mega-developments that could really add a sense of place to the "neighborhood".

I think Lake Shore East Park could use something, though they're close enough to Millennium/Maggie Daley and probably prefer keeping it more insular...

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 6:49 PM
TL;DR

I feel like the era of large-scale public sculptures has passed. That Calatrava piece at River Point is great, but I can't remember the last permanent sculpture installed downtown previous to that.

It served a purpose to humanize the impersonal complexes of Modernism, but now large developments have a range of architectural styles which are softened by warmer colors/materials and curved or angled lines. The open spaces usually lean more towards grassy lawns than granite plazas. "Activation" is achieved with events and activities rather than objects of art.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 8:37 PM
DENNAB

My favorite part in the DPI building, the taller towers look nice too.

Is this just a concept or could this be a reality?

Quote:
Beautiful rendering. I take it the nuclear blast wave is just milliseconds away??
lol, the sun is right behind the Sears Tower.

Quote:
I feel like the era of large-scale public sculptures has passed. That Calatrava piece at River Point is great, but I can't remember the last permanent sculpture installed downtown previous to that.
I take it you're just referring to Chicago and not the US as a whole, as the Hudson Yards in NY has a massive sculpture. No reason Chicago couldn't do the same for one of these new mega developments.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 9:52 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:

It served a purpose to humanize the impersonal complexes of Modernism, but now large developments have a range of architectural styles which are softened by warmer colors/materials and curved or angled lines. The open spaces usually lean more towards grassy lawns than granite plazas. "Activation" is achieved with events and activities rather than objects of art.
Huh?? Large scale public art will always be around, just depends on who is willing to pay for it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development