HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 8:12 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
It looks like they are essentially two distinct buildings. They won't meet so much as the garage wraps around the tower.
Thanks. I understand that. It's hard to make out on the webcam but it looks as if the floorplates butt up against each other but that there aren't pillars right next to each other at that location. If so, that would mean (maybe) that part of one of the "building's" floorplates would be cantilevered. I wouldn't expect that to be the case, so I'm trying to figure out exactly what is happening. It's hard to see that kind of detail on the webcam so I was hoping someone in SA might be able to check it out in person and report on it. Big thanks to anyone who can!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Thanks. I understand that. It's hard to make out on the webcam but it looks as if the floorplates butt up against each other but that there aren't pillars right next to each other at that location. If so, that would mean (maybe) that part of one of the "building's" floorplates would be cantilevered. I wouldn't expect that to be the case, so I'm trying to figure out exactly what is happening. It's hard to see that kind of detail on the webcam so I was hoping someone in SA might be able to check it out in person and report on it. Big thanks to anyone who can!
Yeah, I agree it's hard to tell what is going on from the webcams.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 7:17 PM

Does anyone know how the workers are getting to the top floors? I've been looking on the webcams for a makeshift elevator system, and have yet to find anything

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 7:33 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
Does anyone know how the workers are getting to the top floors? I've been looking on the webcams for a makeshift elevator system, and have yet to find anything
When the building is this early in the construction process they typically just have ladders made of 2x4s to go up and down between floors. You can even see a few of them in the construction cam photos. They can also use a scissor lift and park it in the elevator shaft. Once it reaches a certain height they'll have a construction elevator that will run on a track that is attached to the outside of the wall of the building.

In this photo of the Independent in Austin, you can see the construction elevator running up the side of the building. The track is attached to the floors. This one even has two cars running.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...205357&page=76

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
When the building is this early in the construction process they typically just have ladders made of 2x4s to go up and down between floors. You can even see a few of them in the construction cam photos. They can also use a scissor lift and park it in the elevator shaft. Once it reaches a certain height they'll have a construction elevator that will run on a track that is attached to the outside of the wall of the building.

In this photo of the Independent in Austin, you can see the construction elevator running up the side of the building. The track is attached to the floors. This one even has two cars running.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...205357&page=76
Thanks for the information. And...wow. That building is already taller than the Frost lol

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 4:54 AM

Fryguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
Thanks for the information. And...wow. That building is already taller than the Frost lol
You have to understand, all we care about is ground level retail. Height, on a skyscraper forum...Sheesh.

And don't dare opine about it. That's off topic.

(read this quick, it will soon be deleted).

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 2:21 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
You have to understand, all we care about is ground level retail. Height, on a skyscraper forum...Sheesh.

And don't dare opine about it. That's off topic.

(read this quick, it will soon be deleted).
I don't think it should be deleted. I just think it shouldn't be there in the first place. It's OK to care about ground-level retail in a tall building. In fact it's great to care about it. Buildings are made for people, people live in cities, people walk past buildings on the sidewalk. Would you rather walk past a restaurant with outdoor seating with attractive women (or men) for you to look at and maybe even talk to, or would you rather walk past a floor-to-ceiling glass window with only your own reflection to look at? Or maybe the exit of a parking garage with cars about to hit you?

Human interaction is what makes us do well together. It needs to be incorporated into every possible aspect of every urban building. Otherwise you'll end up with downtown Houston circa 1989.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 6:19 PM
James

Quote:
Human interaction is what makes us do well together. It needs to be incorporated into every possible aspect of every urban building. Otherwise you'll end up with downtown Houston circa 1989.
I love this quote.

I'll try to get a photo for you this week, Jack! I try to do every two weeks

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 11:37 PM

Interesting tower crane setup, surprised to see they are using two of them.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 11:57 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
I love this quote.

I'll try to get a photo for you this week, Jack! I try to do every two weeks
I am honored. Thank you.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 5:39 PM

Not sure if these show anything that could help address the question of varying heights for second floor.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 12:11 AM
JACKinBeantown

It clearly shows that they are indeed at different levels, but I can't make out the support structures within. Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 4:04 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
I don't think it should be deleted. I just think it shouldn't be there in the first place. It's OK to care about ground-level retail in a tall building. In fact it's great to care about it. Buildings are made for people, people live in cities, people walk past buildings on the sidewalk. Would you rather walk past a restaurant with outdoor seating with attractive women (or men) for you to look at and maybe even talk to, or would you rather walk past a floor-to-ceiling glass window with only your own reflection to look at? Or maybe the exit of a parking garage with cars about to hit you?

You could pretty boil down every text on urban design I've ever read into these two paragraphs. Well put.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 4:13 PM
JACKinBeantown

Thank you.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 1:02 AM

JackinBeantown, check out the live video Downtown SATX just posted on Facebook. Some highlights- The glass will begin going up the beginning of 2018. The building will be topped in June of next year. The tower will have LED and the ability to change colors during special events. More info on the link below. Enjoy.

https://www.facebook.com/downtownsatx/

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 3:21 AM
JACKinBeantown

Awesome! Thanks.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 8:26 PM
James

10/11/2017

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 12:31 AM
JACKinBeantown

There ya go! Thanks, jaga.

My guess is that they'll pour the entire tower floor portion this time. For the first floor above the lobby it seems that the high lobby ceiling made it difficult to pour the whole thing at once.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 2:52 AM
James

Quote:
There ya go! Thanks, jaga.

My guess is that they'll pour the entire tower floor portion this time. For the first floor above the lobby it seems that the high lobby ceiling made it difficult to pour the whole thing at once.
You're welcome, I remember you said you like the image size unaltered so I decided to keep it.

Hope you all don't mind either!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 12:54 PM
JACKinBeantown

It involves an extra .17 seconds of scrolling down. I don't think that inconveniences anyone too much.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio