HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 6:07 PM

Angry

Yes I concur. The decision to go with Rapibus when the train ROW already existed and with Ottawa converting to LRT was the epitome which symbolized the dysfunctionalism which exist between the political figureheads of our region best.

Such a loss for all Parties.

I figure if your going from somewhere like The Plateau area bordering old hull district and Aylmer; you would be looking at a two hour trip (and three modes of transportation and four or five transfers) to get to Barfhaven, Orleans, Kanata, Carleton, Algonquin, Scotiabank, many places...

1) Local Bus - 2.5KM ->
2) Rapi Bus to Ottawa Downtown / Lebreton - 5KM ->
3) Get on LRT to Tunneys - 3.5 KM ->
4) Get on Bus to Kanata - 12KM
5) Get on local route - 3 KM

Lets not forget the O-train and a transfer at Bayview would be routed into the south end destinations as well.

Welcome to the Capital of Canada!

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Good analysis. Hate to bring this up but what would be the operating language of the system? Would unilingual English or even unilingual French locals be eligible for employment with the transit operation?

Wouldn't matter if the system was automated, robots can easily be programmed to operate bilingually!

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 6:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Wouldn't matter if the system was automated, robots can easily be programmed to operate bilingually!

Right on. I guess deep down I am still a 20th century guy!

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOWINYOW View Post
Ok, let's assume that. Which side gets the maintenance facilities and the associated jobs? Ottawa? Why not Gatineau? Who's to decide? Ottawa bought their LRT trains from Europe, Quebec might insist on Bombardier. What do we buy so we can share resources?

We don't even have a fair system that allows construction labour and contractors to EQUALLY work on both sides of the river. I highly doubt the two sides could come together over a shared transportation system.

Money could be saved on far more things than just transportation. Unfortunately politicians seek only the solutions that serve to get them re-elected, not what's right or could be perceived as a correct measure.

I agree, in a perfect world things would be perfect. But things aren't perfect. Imperfect people are making imperfect decisions. Gatineau did what they felt was right for their residents. Ottawa is doing what they feel is right for their residents.
I admit my statement was idealistic.

Realistically I don't expect Ottawa & Gatineau to cooperate on much of anything.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post

Very true!

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luker View Post
Yes I concur. The decision to go with Rapibus when the train ROW already existed and with Ottawa converting to LRT was the epitome which symbolized the dysfunctionalism which exist between the political figureheads of our region best.

Such a loss for all Parties.

I figure if your going from somewhere like The Plateau area bordering old hull district and Aylmer; you would be looking at a two hour trip (and three modes of transportation and four or five transfers) to get to Barfhaven, Orleans, Kanata, Carleton, Algonquin, Scotiabank, many places...

1) Local Bus - 2.5KM ->
2) Rapi Bus to Ottawa Downtown / Lebreton - 5KM ->
3) Get on LRT to Tunneys - 3.5 KM ->
4) Get on Bus to Kanata - 12KM
5) Get on local route - 3 KM

Lets not forget the O-train and a transfer at Bayview would be routed into the south end destinations as well.

Welcome to the Capital of Canada!
No question about it! And THAT is the reason the NCC looks to build new bridges. Rightly or wrongly.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 8:32 PM
Awesome!

From Stu Mills on Twitter. Sounds like the Highway 5 extension. It says the Meech Creek interchange. But the stretch is paved so probably if it's hwy 5, the extension to Hwy 366 will probably open before the end of the summer

https://twitter.com/StuMillsCBC/stat...442496/photo/1
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 2:27 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Council briefs: Tack on another $1.6M cost on much-delayed Strandherd Bridge

Ottawa Citizen June 12, 2013

City council on Wednesday approved an additional $1.6 million for the Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge across the Rideau River, raising the cost beyond the original estimate of $48 million.

The extra money is needed because of construction delays for the span that is now expected to open in September 2014.

The bridge that was scheduled to open by now has been plagued with problems, including a major hurdle when the company hired to build it went into receivership. The company that took over the project decided not to work through the winter, further delaying the opening and creating additional costs for project managers, technical consultants and inspectors supervising the contractors.

A new deal to rent field time from the University of Ottawa’s sports field at Lees Avenue was approved Wednesday.

The city will pay the university $2 million up front for the 10-year agreement that provides recreation groups with outdoor space. City staff say taxpayers save money because the bookings are locked in at today’s rates and the university gets a substantial amount of cash up front to help pay for the field’s construction.

This deal comes after the collapse of a complex three-way agreement that also included Coliseum Inc., the private company that cancelled an entire indoor winter soccer season last year because of a change to its contract with the city.

City council agreed to charge fees for some purchases of city services made with debit and credit cards.

The new fee structure will charge customers 1.99 per cent of their total purchase for any transaction of $750 or more, but that rate is only for services that already accept electronic payment cards, and it gives most customers a break from the new fee structure.

City services that start accepting electronic card payments after June 12 will also have a fee. Customers will be charged 1.99 per cent of their total purchase for transactions over $25. Less than $25 will have a 50-cent fee.

The city processed more than $94 million in electronic transactions in 2012 and more than $91 million in 2011. Fees for those transactions cost the city about $1.7 million a year, the staff report says.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Co...#ixzz2W3jo8x7c

Last edited by rocketphish; Jun 13, 2013 at 2:28 AM. Reason: Added photo

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 2:47 AM

I am very pleased that my grandchildren will someday enjoy the Strandherd-Armstrong bridge!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 3:03 AM

Isn't there something such as requirement to fulfill a contract? Why should the City lose out if contractors screw up.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggys View Post
Isn't there something such as requirement to fulfill a contract? Why should the City lose out if contractors screw up.
One contractor going belly-up can be put to bad luck. Wasn't there insurance or an up front bond that would have been paid to the city.

As for the second contractor not wanting to work in the winter. This is just poor management on the side of the city. Clearly this wasn't stipulated in the contract.

City management is 3rd grade management, at best. I'd hardly even call it management. If ever there was a case for privatization, this is it!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOWINYOW View Post
One contractor going belly-up can be put to bad luck. Wasn't there insurance or an up front bond that would have been paid to the city.

As for the second contractor not wanting to work in the winter. This is just poor management on the side of the city. Clearly this wasn't stipulated in the contract.

City management is 3rd grade management, at best. I'd hardly even call it management. If ever there was a case for privatization, this is it!
When the first contractor went into receivership there was a bonding company that took over.

The underlying problem is that I think the per-day late penalty that was initially specified in the contract ($5K/day) was far too low. It didn't provide enough incentive to encourage them to finish as soon as possible, and it barely covers the extra costs that the city itself would incur. The per-day late penalty should have been at least double what it was set as.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 2:22 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Jockvale bridge over troubled barn swallows to be demolished after all

By David Reevely, OTTAWA CITIZEN June 26, 2013

OTTAWA — If any barn swallows are still inhabiting the undercarriage of a Jockvale Road bridge, things will get a lot noisier for them after Canada Day with the resumption of construction work, Mayor Jim Watson announced Wednesday.

Work on replacing the bridge halted about two weeks ago after the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources got word that barn swallows, which are on a list of threatened species, had nested amid the girders. Citizen reporters and an expert birder visited the site after work stopped and saw no actual birds, but as they had been reported earlier as defending their nests, and since their breeding season lasts until August, the ministry ordered a halt to the construction project.

Watson has been working with Natural Resources Minister David Orazietti, though, and said at the end of a city council meeting he’d just had word that the city and province had agreed on a plan for letting work continue as long as it’s done carefully.

“My understanding is there are going to be some restrictions but they’ll be minimal,” Watson said. The city doesn’t have anything in writing yet but expects it soon. “We’ve reached a compromise which will protect the species but will allow us to not lose as much time as we were going to ... It allows us, as I understand it from the briefing I got just a few moments ago, to do some of the work from the north end and the south end and meet in the middle so we don’t lose as much time.”

The ministry says it warned the city that the bridge could be barn swallow habitat, protected during mating season, and a warning that was worked into the contract for the bridge work, so it’s not clear why the nests in the girders came as a surprise. Watson said he has demanded to know why the construction plans didn’t take the swallows into account.

The $23.9-million project is to replace the existing two-lane bridge with two parallel bridges, each of them two lanes wide. The first of the new bridges is open and carrying traffic; tearing down and replacing the old one is the next step in the job.

dreevely@ottawacitizen.com

ottawacitizen.com/greaterottawa
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/technol...#ixzz2XNZzidky

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 6:07 PM
National Capital Region

Main Street redesign http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgvi...&itemid=302834

Complete street!
Cycle tracks!

here are some display boards

http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/planni...june-18th-2013

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Jun 28, 2013 at 6:35 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Main Street redesign http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgvi...&itemid=302834

Complete street!
Cycle tracks!

here are some display boards

http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/planni...june-18th-2013
My personal recommendations:

* A roundabout at Riverdale is an excellent idea. Vehicle speeds are way too fast there, traffic volumes would not be compromised and it would provide a gateway.

* The proposed lane configurations are probably ideal, although I would personally support 4 lanes throughout, but 2 of the lanes being used for on-street parking except in the peak direction. I like the cycle-track idea beside an extra wide sidewalk. On-street parking would be provided throughout the corridor from Riverdale to Echo, except during peak periods in the busiest direction.

* The McIlraith Bridge, along with Smyth Road, should have the speed limit increased to 60 km/h. An exception would be near the schools, where a flashing/part-time 40 km/h zone should be introduced.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 12:28 AM
National Capital Region

Kanata South (Terry Fox to West Hunt Club Road) Class EA boards should be up soon
http://ottawa.ca/en/kanata-south-ter...sessment-study

Here's the Sun article
Reversible lane bad option for major west-end route: NCC
http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/09/23/...-end-route-ncc

BY JON WILLING ,OTTAWA SUN
FIRST POSTED: MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, 2013 02:44 PM EDT | UPDATED: MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, 2013 03:02 PM EDT

Reversible lane, Kanata-Stittsville West Hunt club Rd.
This illustration shows the two basic options for a major west-end roads project in Kanata and Stittsville along Hope Side Rd., Old Richmond Rd., and West Hunt Club Rd. (Submitted image)

A proposal to build the city’s first reversible lane to keep traffic flowing through heavy commuting hours has been put on the backburner in favour of a traditional four-lane design.

Kanata South Coun. Allan Hubley says one of the main reasons the reversible lane option is being dismissed is due to light pollution in sensitive ecological lands along the corridor of Hope Side Rd., Old Richmond Rd. and West Hunt Club Rd. The National Capital Commission is worried that overhead lights required for the reversible lane signals would light up the greenbelt.

"It was a very valid concern on their part, so we had to deal with that,” he said Monday.

Hubley is just thrilled the environmental assessment is happening after it stalled during the last term of council.

“When I got elected I made it a priority and went about getting the support needed to get restarted,” Hubley said. "I consider it to be a great accomplishment."

The heavily travelled route is an alternative to Hwy. 417 for Kanata South and Stittsville residents. The city’s plan is to increase the capacity for vehicles, especially ahead of expected growth on the Fernbank lands between the two suburbs.

Hubley wants shovels in the ground in 2015. He’s pushing to have the environmental assessment approved by council by the end of this year so design work can begin.

If the staff-preferred option is approved, six roundabouts will be constructed between Eagleson Rd. and Hwy. 416, including one at West Hunt Club and Old Richmond roads. Four lanes with medians and a bike lane would be built on Hope Side Rd., Old Richmond Rd. and West Hunt Club Rd.

Construction of the four-lane road through the greenbelt is estimated at $15.8 million. The reversible lane option is estimated at $16.2 million, plus $70,000 in annual operating costs for the equipment.

Residents might be most familiar with the reversible lane on the Champlain Bridge connecting Ottawa with Gatineau. The middle lane changes directions depending on traffic flows. Overhead signs indicate which direction the lane is going.

Hubley, the vice-chairman of council’s transportation committee, had hoped the plan for a reversible lane would work. However, the option likely isn’t sustainable for the long term if the west end keeps growing. It might be possible in other parts of the city, he said.

The next challenge will be satisfying the NCC during the design phase, Hubley said.

jon.willing@sunmedia.ca

Twitter: @JonathanWilling

West-east corridor reconstruction: Proposed intersection redesigns

Hope Side Rd. and Eagleson Rd.: Roundabout
Hope Side Rd. and Crown Ridge Dr.: Roundabout
Hope Side Rd. and Charlie Rogers Dr.: Roundabout
Hope Side Rd. and Old Richmond Rd.: Roundabout
Old Richmond Rd. and Stonehaven Dr.: Roundabout
Old Richmond Rd. and West Hunt Club Rd.: Roundabout
West Hunt Club Rd. and Moodie Dr.: Signals
Source: AECOM/City of Ottawa September 2013 project update

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 9:32 PM
National Capital Region

Carp Road widening EA display boards
http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public...tember-18-2013

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 4:16 PM
National Capital Region

Kanata South (Terry Fox to West Hunt Club Road) Class EA boards
http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public...display-boards

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Kanata South (Terry Fox to West Hunt Club Road) Class EA boards
http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public...display-boards
I'm not sure I understand why for the 3 lane option, guardrails are required along the entire length to protect the gantries, but the 4 lane option doesn't seem to require any guardrails to protect the street lights...

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 10:19 PM

As 'interesting' as the 3 lane proposal is, I think the 4 lane option is the best. It would take (guessing) 15-30 minutes each day to shift the traffic flow due to the length of the 3 lane proposal. Also... why so many roundabouts? All the intersections besides West Hunt Club & Moodie will have a roundabout. Can all that truck traffic (mostly dump trucks I've noticed) handle those roundabouts effectively? I would put signals at West Hunt Club and Old Richmond instead of the awkwardly shaped 3-way roundabout. But that's just my opinion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation