HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 5:15 PM

My Hopes..

1) We need more people living in the downtown region. This creates vibrancy, culture, better everything.

2) Same with Sawtooth, I would like to see all the proposals and approvals on the residential projects start construction, hopefully.

3) I would like to see some proposals on apartment buildings, more targeted to the millennial's, more affordable downtown living options.
This is the group that is most likely to generate culture and the arts, creativity, etc., within the downtown area.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 6:43 PM

I'm not a Boisean anymore, but I can still participate, right?

1. Similar to Jakor and Sawtooth, I'd love to see residential mid-rises (6+ stories) in the River and Western portions of downtown.

2. More bike lane connections to the greenbelt.

3. A rezone around Emerald and Orchard to allow for mixed-use buildings.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 7:44 PM

I want for Panera Bread to open on Eagle.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 8:50 PM

I've got my fingers crossed that we'll soon see plans for a 25 + mixed used highrise. But the way things are panning out with projects such as Parcel B, it's more then likely not going to happen. So more realistically, here's my list:

1) A couple 6-12 flooor mix-use buildings east of Capital Blvd. 15 + would be pushing it. Also some 5-10 floor buildings in and around CWI's new campus near Whitewater Blvd would be something sweet to boost development, and have almost like a second downtown.

2) Improve our Public transit system. Specifically I would love to see the day where ValleyRide runs their buses 24/7. Along with adding a tram in, and around downtown's core, BSU, and the Airport. But most of all I'd like to see buses around Downtown's core to take after Seattle and be free to Ride.

3) improve access to the Greenbelt.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2016, 2:36 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
I've got my fingers crossed that we'll soon see plans for a 25 + mixed used highrise. But the way things are panning out with projects such as Parcel B, it's more then likely not going to happen. So more realistically, here's my list:

1) A couple 6-12 flooor mix-use buildings east of Capital Blvd. 15 + would be pushing it. Also some 5-10 floor buildings in and around CWI's new campus near Whitewater Blvd would be something sweet to boost development, and have almost like a second downtown.

2) Improve our Public transit system. Specifically I would love to see the day where ValleyRide runs their buses 24/7. Along with adding a tram in, and around downtown's core, BSU, and the Airport. But most of all I'd like to see buses around Downtown's core to take after Seattle and be free to Ride.

3) improve access to the Greenbelt.

Agreed. These would be amazing too..

Old Posted Jan 1, 2016, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Yes, this is a definite must. With Boise State now going to have an entire department located downtown (in addition to the presence in BoDo) I think having some kind of joint Valley Ride/Boise State shuttle is going to be critical. And once CWI-Boise starts to take shape - presuming a non-negligible number of those students will be seeking to ultimate transfer to Boise State and start taking classes there - integrating West Downtown via transit will be critical. Boulder's Hop, Skip, and Jump has seemed to be a good model for multi-scale shuttling.

There's definitely a whole bunch of other transport wishes I have. Top 3 would be:
1) Finally news on an east coast flight - either WN to BWI or UA to EWR (ATL is too far south for me). An unrealistic wish is B6 to BOS
2) Broadway bridge going smoothly
3) ACHD and the City finally getting past their "issues" and developing a long-term strategy for integrating bikes as transit throughout the city

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 4:56 AM

Anyone see the article in the paper today about the BSU Masterplan?

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...e52809050.html

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 8:05 AM
Closed account

Boise 2016

Hope everyone watch PBS this last week:
John Portman: A Life Of Building

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiIP21B8hDw

As a great architect he also did developments and was an artist.

I would like to see:
1 A multiuse high rise (25 t0 30 floors) with offices, hotel and condos.
2 Design buildings along Front, Myrtle and Capital with stores and cafes facing the street on the ground floor.
3 More apartments and condos (6 to10 floors) with stores and restaurants on the ground floor, and prices that more people could afford.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 5:42 PM

Hey guys, I typically hang out on the Utah Forums, but my sister and her family just moved from St. George Utah, to Boise. My BIL's work made him a regional VP and he's out of Boise now. He was flying from St. George to Boise twice a month, and they finally decided just to move up there.
I haven't ever been to Boise, but we'll be heading up there twice a year or so to visit. We're close with my sister's family. You're getting a good one, Boise. Here's hoping the visits are great! See you in May!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 7:47 PM
Closed account

Simplot Mansion

Work started today in the demolishing of the home on the hill.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...e52947515.html

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture Buff View Post
Work started today in the demolishing of the home on the hill.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...e52947515.html
With all the homage to tractors and agriculture downtown I really hope they replace the house with a large opposing Statue of Liberty type figure of some pissed off old farmer with a shotgun that yells, "get off my lawn" and fires a warning shot anytime someone tries to go sledding on his hill.

For real though, I would love to have some gigantic statue there, as we jokingly talked about putting on top of TableRock once before on here. It would be an awesome tourist attraction as the city ages.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 11:31 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
With all the homage to tractors and agriculture downtown I really hope they replace the house with a large opposing Statue of Liberty type figure of some pissed off old farmer with a shotgun that yells, "get off my lawn" and fires a warning shot anytime someone tries to go sledding on his hill.

For real though, I would love to have some gigantic statue there, as we jokingly talked about putting on top of TableRock once before on here. It would be an awesome tourist attraction as the city ages.
Ha, ha. I saw the article too. What will the state do for a new Governor's Mansion?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 11:34 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2I.F. View Post
Ha, ha. I saw the article too. What will the state do for a new Governor's Mansion?

they need more humility anyway.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 11:49 PM
All man. Half nuts.

i'm going to cheat a little and break my 2016 wish list into two categories: realistic and holy-crap-this-would-be-awesome.

realistic:

1 - four or five new (as yet unannounced) downtown residential developments of 5 floors or more featuring contemporary design, large windows, balconies and unique architectural features.

2 - one to two new mixed used developments of 8+ floors, preferably replacing some of the current surface parking lots on the west side of downtown.

3 - announcement that financing has been secured for a new downtown Boise Hawks stadium, possibly shared with a BSU baseball team. i place this under "realistic" only because the city and BSU have both stated this as a goal.

and now, my holy-crap-this-would-be-awesome list:

1 - a new mixed-use tallest in 30-floor/420-foot range as a signature tower in the central core. one possible location is the surface parking lot just southeast of One Capital Center, across 9th from the Wells Fargo building.

2 - announcement of a new interactive discovery museum (think: Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry) to be located in the gap where the connector splits. museum to include a 600-foot observation tower and restaurant.

3 - announcement of the Shafer Butte Tramway from the lower foothills up to Bogus Basin, similar to the Albuquerque Tram. base of the Tramway to be built just north of the city, away from current residential developments, and include parking and a commercial area.

a shame to limit the list to 3, but i guess we have to start somewhere.

and now, i shall return back to reality and enjoy construction of our new 5-floor suburban-style hotels, downtown.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 4:46 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

I am slowly but surely putting together a new photo thread of this past Summer up to current time in Winter. I will post it sometime soon.

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 6:47 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post

they need more humility anyway.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 3:49 PM

Lists, take them as you will. Boise fares pretty well in a lot of lists at wallethub.com. Kill some time at work and browse during this first of the year lull in new development news. There are more I did not "list" below.

2016’s Best and Worst Cities for an Active Lifestyle

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-and-w...ifestyle/8817/

Quote:
Methodology

In order to identify the cities that encourage an active lifestyle, WalletHub’s analysts compared the 100 most populated U.S. cities across two key dimensions, “Budget & Participation” and “Sports Facilities & Outdoor Environment.” The latter was weighted more heavily than the former because the accessibility of public facilities mainly determines how well the population can engage in physical activity.

With regard to our sample, please note that “city” refers to city proper and excludes surrounding metro areas.

2015’s Best & Worst Cities for Recreation

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...creation/5144/

Quote:
Methodology

To find the best and worst cities for recreation, WalletHub compared the 100 most populated U.S. cities across four key dimensions, including: 1) Entertainment & Recreational Facilities, 2) Costs, 3) Quality of Parks and 4) Climate. We then identified 27 relevant metrics, which are listed below with their corresponding weights. Please note that “city” refers to city proper and excludes surrounding metro areas.

2015’s Greenest Cities in America

https://wallethub.com/edu/most-least...6/#methodology

Quote:
Methodology

In order to find the greenest cities in America, WalletHub compared the 100 most populated cities across four key dimensions: 1) Environmental Quality, 2) “Greenness” of Transportation, 3) “Greenness” of Energy Sources and 4) Green Lifestyle & Local Policies. For our sample, please note that “city” refers to city proper and excludes surrounding metro areas.

Next, we compiled 13 relevant metrics, which are listed below with their corresponding weights. Data for metrics marked with an asterisk (*) were available at the state level only. Although recycling is vital to the sustainability efforts of each city, the types and sizes of recycling facilities vary widely by city. We therefore were not able to include a metric that either measures the availability of recycling programs or the amount of waste recycled in each city due to the lack of comparable data to use across our sample.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 4:11 PM

http://www.boiseartsandhistory.org/m...tour_final.pdf

MAPPING the CITY:BOISE’S1863 PLAT

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 2:07 AM
Closed account

Around the Town

McDonald's has closed on Apple by Timberline HS.
Twin Dragon on Fairview by Red Lion closes in March.
Library at Bown Crossing in SE Boise has started.

Afton

Looking up 8th

Clearwater Analytics in skyline

Onenineteen Condos

Marriott on Capital

The Inn at 500 Capital

Simplot HQ

City Center

The District on Parkcenter

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Jan 9, 2016 at 4:20 AM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 6:45 AM

Thanks for the Update AB! Also noticed today that site prep (removing the parking lot) has started for the Hyatt Place on Bannock. That makes 3 hotels in downtown that are under construction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West