HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 4:47 PM
The Drifter

Station Park seems like an ok TOD but I will have to say my favorite one so far is in Murray. That one isn't building out with so much retail or commercial space, but its thinking more about its street engagement and more walk-ability. Its also focusing more on residential to bring people closer to TRAX. In time with all the residential going in there will be a domino affect that will bring in more retail and commercial business.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 3:29 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Yes I too remember that the original proposal for Station Park included residential. I am pretty sure though that that version was scrapped several years ago and replaced with just an retail/office version. I remember because I was pissed about it. I hope they eventually bring the residential component back, but I am doubting they will.

What part of the plan should have included was multi story buildings along the retail promenade. Keep the same type of retail that exist now, with housing above, condo or apartments would work, particulary apartments at this point in time. There is a great example of a mixed use lifestyle center west of Cleveland called Crocker Park. It is suburban sprawl, and not connected to major transit, just bus, but the design includes retail with several floors of residential on top, it really does have the feel of a town center.

While I like the look of The District and Station Park seems to have a decent look, I really think the developers are being very short sided, by not including residential on site, then again I'm not a fan of mixing them with the big box in the same development.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 1:15 PM

I like the nod throughout of vintage pioneer craftsmanship on the interior of this Temple...absolutely beautiful.

Media tours begin in new Brigham City LDS temple

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...DS-temple.html

By Joseph Walker, Deseret News

...The open house for the Brigham City Utah Temple will continue through Saturday, Sept. 15.

"We have already had requests for more than 300,000 tickets to the open house, so there is a lot of interest," Elder Walker said. "There will be a pretty constant flow of people through the temple during the open house."

Following the opening house, the temple will be closed while it is prepared for its formal, official dedication during three sessions on Sunday, Sept. 23...

The morning sun lights up the new Brigham City LDS Temple Tuesday, Aug. 14, 2012. Following Pics By Ravell Call, Deseret News

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 2:03 PM

Tickets for all but the 7 AM open house tours "sold out" (it's free, but I don't know what else to say) the same day they were made available...We're going to go up there anyway next week and see if we can get in anyway. Last two temple open houses we went to they never even asked for the tickets. More a crowd control thing. They wouldn't turn us away if we looked all Gentiley, would they?

I do really like the interior and exterior of that building--seems like a good fit for Brigham City, complements the pioneer era tabernacle across the street instead of competing with it.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 1:12 AM

I took a drive through Farmington today and took some pics of the new county building project.

The sign explaining the next photos

The Administration Building

I think this is the Library part

This is the Farmington City hall that was completed a couple years ago, right across the street

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 8:55 PM

I really love that Farmington City Hall. I love how it references historic architecture without trying to be all fake historic/tacky, like West Jordan's city hall.

That Davis county administration building is pretty nice, too. But is that the final stone (or whatever finish?) on the library? UGLY/'70s looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
I took a drive through Farmington today and took some pics of the new county building project.

The sign explaining the next photos

The Administration Building

I think this is the Library part

This is the Farmington City hall that was completed a couple years ago, right across the street

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 7:53 PM

First commercial plane flies into Ogden Regional Airport

Quote:
OGDEN, Utah (ABC 4 News) - It is one of the busiest airports in the state, but on Thursday the first commercial plane landed at Ogden Regional Airport. The city believes the addition to the community will bring people and their money to Ogden.
http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top...medium=twitter

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 3:26 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Skyguy, Having just read your post on the Provo Thread about Frontier, what is the likelyhood that Aligient air will have more success in Ogden than Frontier did in Provo?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 5:47 PM

I was curious as to the latest construction progress on the Ogden LDS Temple. Here's a few of the latest pics taken on August 30th

Courtesy of Lane Montgomery @ http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/ogden/construction/

Last edited by delts145; Sep 22, 2012 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Skyguy, Having just read your post on the Provo Thread about Frontier, what is the likelyhood that Aligient air will have more success in Ogden than Frontier did in Provo?
I know I'm not Skyguy, but I still wanna put my two cents in on the subject.

I love love love love love love LOVE Ogden, and therefore - of course - would be tickled if this service were successful....but.....I know the chances are pretty slim - as they are with launching commercial service out of many small airports. I will, however, point out that Frontier's service from Provo to Denver was daily and Allegiant's service from Ogden to Phoenix-Mesa is twice weekly. Frontier's operations out of Provo Municipal were likely much more expensive to maintain and therefore more difficult to keep profitable than Allegiant's will be out of Ogden. I think Allegiant is taking a good approach by beginning conservatively and then expanding if successful/necessary whereas Frontier kind of went all in upfront with daily service which probably made success harder from the get go.

I will also say that the difference in destination choice may also make a difference, in a few different ways. First, while the Ogden and Provo MSA's are pretty comparable in size, the Denver MSA is home to nearly 2.6 million people while the Phoenix MSA is home to over 4.6 million, giving the Ogden-Mesa flight an advantage as it has a larger population to draw passengers from while needing to fill fewer flights to be considered a success.

Also, while I can understand WHY Frontier chose Denver (its their hub and would allow passengers to essentially connect to a myriad of additional destinations instead of limiting Provo's options to just Denver), there is really little reason besides connectivity to choose these two cities for Provo Muncipal's inaugural connection. While Denver has the obvious qualities of being a larger city and home of the Broncos (a fair amount of devoted fans live here in Utah and may have used the flight for games) and it could be argued that Provo has a small LDS/BYU draw, the cities really do little to compliment each other as destinations. I laud Allegiant for choosing Phoenix-Mesa as Ogden Hinckley's inaugural connection not just for larger population but also for connecting a warm weather and cold weather destination. In the wintertime both destinations win, with Ogdenites and other Utahns escaping to the perfect temperatures and sunny skies while Phoenecians can experience Utah's amazing skiing. In the summertime, Ogden wins for the most part, becoming a destination for those seeking relief from the scorching desert highs.

Last, I just wanted to suggest that Ogden is more of a "ski town" than Provo and so should experience more traffic generated from this than Provo did. The Ogden Valley is host to three unique resorts offering a combined 5,910 skiable acres (Snowbasin 3,000 acres - Powder Mountain 2,800 acres - Wolf Creek - 110 acres), one of which carries the distinction of having hosted Olympic events while the Sundance resort is the only in Provo and has only 450 skiable acres. Provo really had no chance as a flight ski destination with this connection as it is - it would be hard to convince customers to visit Provo for that reason when they have plenty of resorts in their own city.

I'm really not trying to say Ogden makes a better destination than Provo, but I think the route chosen is just much more appropriate for Ogden than it was for Provo. I know that Provo is still wanting to expand their commercial operations and I think that they should. A warm weather connection would really probably be a better way to begin service and I think they should look into establishing a connection into San Diego, John Wayne (Orange County), or Ontario (LA) which could really be great.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 6:51 PM
The Drifter

I would also like to point out that Logan is much closer to the Hinckely-Ogden Airport than Salt Lake; and many people from there will most likely use Ogden for flights to Pheonix. That adds another 120,000+ more people to who would use the flights out of Ogden.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 6:09 AM

H&M coming to Farmington as retail center continues to grow
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ow.html?pg=all

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 1:09 PM

October Update - LDS Temple Construction - Downtown Ogden

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/ogden/construction/

Photograph taken October 5, 2012, courtesy of Jeff James

Photograph taken October 5, 2012, courtesy of Lane Montgomery

Photograph taken October 18, 2012, courtesy of Dave Peters

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 7:34 PM

Bike components firm to add more than 300 Ogden jobs

By Brice Wallace

The Enterprise

ENVE Composites Inc., a carbon-fiber composite products company specializing in bicycle components, will add more than 300 jobs in the next few years as a result of getting an expansion incentive last week from the Governor’s Office of Economic Development (GOED) board.

ENVE, based in Ogden, will add 324 jobs at its operations at Business Depot Ogden over the next seven years, with positions paying at least 25 percent above the Weber County average wage, including benefits.

The incentive from GOED is in the form of a tax credit of $1.33 million. GOED documents indicate that the expansion will result in more than $63 million in new wages and $5.3 million in new state taxes over seven years.

“There are some companies that are big that we incent; this is a cool company that will be big,” said board chairman Mel Lavitt.

Founded in 2005, the company began by manufacturing composite tubes for custom bicycle frame-builders and later expanded its line of products to include wheels, seat posts, handlebars and stems. It produces all of its bicycle rims in the U.S. Its customers include international and domestic distributors and original equipment manufacturing (OEM) bicycle companies, aftermarket retail stores and individual consumers.

“This state incentive will allow us to aggressively compete with Asian manufacturing and begin the process of on-shoring jobs from Asia back to Ogden,” Sarah Lehman, ENVE’s chief executive officer, told the board. “What we are committed to is manufacturing and expansion, and with this state incentive we will be able to be more effective in competing with other companies worldwide.”

GOED documents indicate the jobs are tied to a $20 million capital investment. They indicate that the company’s vision is to create a state-of-the-art manufacturing facility that serves as a consumer and industry cycling attraction, complete with a custom-fittings center, an outdoor cycling track and world-class testing facility.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 11:39 PM

station park

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 11:42 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Now mix in some residential and I'll love it.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 12:33 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Nice. However I thought some of these buildings would be taller then three levels.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post

Now mix in some residential and I'll love it.
Its coming... its apart of the master plan. Along with alot of office space. There are about 400 apartments coming online soon right across the street. The apartment developer is looking at developing large scale townhome communities to the north of the apartments.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 7:18 PM

I've always said there would eventually be a major residential component to this project. It's just too attractive and well located not to have residential, especially the fact of being served by FrontRunner.

Last edited by delts145; Jan 20, 2013 at 7:35 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 4:16 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Millhouse, you say it's part of the master plan, however then you refer to the apartments being built across the street, (for reference can you tell me across which street?) they may be part of the Farmington area master plan, but there is not mention of them as part of "Station Park". While I'm sure they will be convenient to Station Park, and I'm sure they don't share any type of parking or ease of access.

I agree with you 100% Delts, that it makes total sense to have residential, as part of the Station Park Development and as I mentioned prior, the original plans had residential on the Station Park property but no longer do.

The CentralCal website, the developer of the property, mentions NOTHING about residential on site and integrated into the project The project will consist of approximately eight hundred thousand square feet of retail, entertainment, restaurant, office and hotel space. No mention of residential, and I doubt they would leave it out, because currently there is no hotel or office, yet that is mentioned on the site.

Ultimately it is another suburban shopping center, that simply has slightly better transit access.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West