HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 29, 2015, 3:44 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
CO+HOOTS is expanding and was looking exclusively at downtown for their new location until Mackay convinced them to go to Midtown. Their current Eastlake location is irrelevant.
Midtown is much more likely to have the budget office space some tech startup or incubated business will be seeking. Downtown is still a premium district to rent in.

Quote:
I completely understand what you're saying in some regards, and no - my alternative is not to let the area lay in its current state forever, but to let private market demands and private developers invest into the area as the benefits of dense urban infill will have been seen by the success of projects like the ones being built in Garfield. In the meantime, the City - instead of playing real estate developer - could focus on projects like making 7th Street less of a highway, designing PBC to connect to both the east AND west, etc. to allow the development east of downtown to support the core instead of blocking them out. And, they could also enforce things Urban Form so that the chance of a street lined with retail could actually be a reality instead of blocks of loading docks and garages (can you imagine the type of design that would fly on 9th/Jackson?).
The City is not going to buy the UP land or assemble it, so chill. If anything, they'll get nearly free land for an arena probably around where 12th St and Buchanan would be and probably land for a city park. The other lands will be owned by a Union Pacific subsidiary, and will be sold and developed by UP at a significant profit. They'll do soil remediation, have some hand in building streets and infrastructure, and build in some zoning entitlements in the form of a loosely-written Planned Unit Development that will be more or less rubber stamped because there are no neighbors.

If Garfield and other neighbors like that were denser and people found crossing 7th St to be more of an en masse barrier, people would be clamoring for Phoenix to do something about 7th St. I really haven't seen any private organization shepherd that task, however.

As for PBC, I don't ever think I've seen a mixed use major medical or research facility, but what do I know. The PBC is probably one of those things Phoenix should have put somewhere else outside of downtown rather than sticking in the thick of things, especially when the height and density would have been supported elsewhere

Quote:
Look at what's been done at 111 Monroe; a private developer renovated what was once unusable, outdated office space and attracted a ton of employers...
111 Monroe was an afterthought renovation during the height of the boom when downtown office buildings were essentially full. It's taken years of investment to attract those employers, and it's still very much a Class B building. Cheap sells.

Quote:
And, yes, I do think moving the arena will kill the Warehouse District. What chance does it have if you replace one of its only sources of energy and visibility with a giant empty shell and superblock? A new mixed-use arena in its current location is a chance to connect Jackson to Jefferson with a mix of residential, offices, and retail that could finally spark something. This + LRT = exactly what you say has to happen: giving neighborhoods (that exist - unlike any new faux urban-or-not 'hood potentially built on 9th/Jackson) like Central/Grant Park access to services, schools, jobs, and making them an affordable option for middle-class Phoenicians.
You want Jackson St to be a thing that benefits from peak arena traffic, when really the only businesses that do so don't really cater to urbanites but suburbanites that only come downtown to have a beer in or around an event. I'd rather that kind of traffic was away from Jackson St and in a more sanitary environment.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2015, 4:01 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
^ And, if that's crazy talk, it's crazy talk. I'm clearly not going to change the mind of Mackay or of any developers. From what I see, momentum is finally on downtown's side, and offering up cheap land to developers at this point in time can't possibly help. This isn't 1999 or 2010; when there new residential projects and employer relocations announced weekly, it seems desperate and a lazy way of addressing larger employers' concerns (no parking!).
Have you been watching the low rise thread? There's like 5,000 units of housing in various phases in Central Phoenix. In terms of units, I would argue this is just as big as the 2007 boom. It just doesn't look like it.

Quote:
I don't see the difference between this and what happened to downtown when high rises were allowed in Midtown.
Because downtown was a really crummy place to be when Park Central was built and the city sprawled northward. Downtown went through whole-scale demolitions all over with no residential area spared. Hanny's was where the fire department practiced, occasionally setting it on fire. Skid Row was where Chase Tower and the Convention Center sit on now. South of the tracks and east of downtown were redlned neighborhoods--the City urban renewed dozens of blocks just east of 7th St in the Booker T Washington area. All of these are the results of bulldozers and fires in the 1960s and 1970s. Downtown boomed in the early 1970s, and rotted and urban-renweed for decades again.

This story plays out across multiple other American cities for decades. For the most part, if you were living downtown in the first few decades of the post-war era, it's because you were stuck there, not because you wanted to live there.

The opposite is now true.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2015, 4:28 AM

As far as downtown is concerned this cycle of building is far larger than 2007.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
As far as downtown is concerned this cycle of building is far larger than 2007.
Agreed here,

the mid 2000's boom was more of an artificial easy loan bubble causing lots of pie in the sky unrealistic projects, the majority of which never happened.

this is a much more natural boom in a city and an economy that is not as explosive but has finally managed to grow again. reasons why is debatable but this is a much healthier building boom and its not just wild office projects or condo high-rises it is reasonably scaled apartment buildings that have demonstrated high demand and lots of small businesses and retail to go along with it.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 6:39 PM

This is not as natural as you think, as soon as the cheap money goes away it will come to a screeching halt. These buildings are being constructed for pennies on the dollar compared to what they're hoping the sales price may be when money costs more and rents return to a normal level.

Don't be fooled into thinking this is a natural thing, it's all driven by the interest rates.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 10:25 PM
BANNED

Coffee shop jumps into Central Avenue competition at Lennar development

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...8&t=1448921730

Not sure how The Muse is going to turn out, but Press Coffee is quite a coup for the development. I'm thinking they want to be part of a cool and/or significant development. Let's hope there were refinements made to the preliminary design that was presented a year ago.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 10:32 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
Coffee shop jumps into Central Avenue competition at Lennar development

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...8&t=1448921730

Not sure how The Muse is going to turn out, but Press Coffee is quite a coup for the development. I'm thinking they want to be part of a cool and/or significant development. Let's hope there were refinements made to the preliminary design that was presented a year ago.
Press was going to be one of the CityScape tenants when that complex first opened. Like so many, it fell through. I'm glad Press is coming to a near-Downtown location even if not in the actual Downtown core. I'm also glad to see some ground floor retail space leased in advance rather than languishing unoccupied for years after construction.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 10:47 PM

wow, great news. I love visiting the press location at the quarter, will be nice to have one closer. They also use Press beans at Velo on 2nd and Garfield. FYI the bike shop is now leasing the café space out to a guy who is taking it pretty seriously, he has Nami baked goods, Press coffee, and vegan smoothies, it's also now open 8-6 instead of the very limited hours from before.

"Once bereft of coffee cafes, Phoenix’s Central Avenue from Camelback Road to downtown is home to a number of Starbucks as well as a Dutch Bros. and local cafes such as Giant Coffee and Mornin’ Moonshine."

Wow, no love for Lux.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 11:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
wow, great news. I love visiting the press location at the quarter, will be nice to have one closer. They also use Press beans at Velo on 2nd and Garfield. FYI the bike shop is now leasing the café space out to a guy who is taking it pretty seriously, he has Nami baked goods, Press coffee, and vegan smoothies, it's also now open 8-6 instead of the very limited hours from before.

"Once bereft of coffee cafes, Phoenix’s Central Avenue from Camelback Road to downtown is home to a number of Starbucks as well as a Dutch Bros. and local cafes such as Giant Coffee and Mornin’ Moonshine."

Wow, no love for Lux.
Lux needs a sign. If you don't know about it, how can you find it? There are bearded hipsters roaming North Central lookin' for a good cup of joe.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 12:01 AM

Lux doesn't need a sign, Jeff wouldn't know what to do with more visibility.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 9:40 PM

Canal Upgrades

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...anal/75588056/

10 million dollars to help start canal improvements. So excited! Even though these improvements will be simple upgrades like nice paths, lighting, crosswalks at intersections, ect. I'm hoping this will be a small step toward eventually seeing developments that look in on the canals throughout Phoenix.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 9:41 PM

The owners of this downtown Phoenix hotel will spend $10M renovating Adams Street

I think Jjs might've mentioned this earlier but nice to see Renaissance Hotel getting some improvements

The renderings look awesome...

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...otel-will.html

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Dec 1, 2015 at 10:16 PM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 10:18 PM

Completely agree. Just look at Safari Drive or Sage Condominiums in Scottsdale, where canal-facing units always command the highest prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerrrr View Post

10 million dollars to help start canal improvements. So excited! Even though these improvements will be simple upgrades like nice paths, lighting, crosswalks at intersections, ect. I'm hoping this will be a small step toward eventually seeing developments that look in on the canals throughout Phoenix.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerrrr View Post

Chase Tower is at 10th Ave and Camelback now?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 10:42 PM
Skyriser

It'd be way cool if people could boat in the canals. Something like that would make Phoenix famous.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 7:11 AM

The owners of this downtown Phoenix hotel will spend $10M renovating Adams Street

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...otel-will.html

PHXHotel LLC, who owns the Renaissance Phoenix Downtown hotel, has announced it will be improving the surrounding area on Adams Street.
The announcement came as the result of a 2013 Adams Street Activation Study conducted by the city of Phoenix and Gensler & Associates architectural firm.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 10:22 PM
self-important urbanista

A sort of update on the Central Station development:

"...the developer needs to work a deal with the Federal Transit Administration to get the development going, according to city officials."

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...apartment.html

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 10:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
A sort of update on the Central Station development:

"...the developer needs to work a deal with the Federal Transit Administration to get the development going, according to city officials."

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...apartment.html
I found the tone of the story a bit bitchy and skeptical. It's not even a story. They're working on it. I'm sure the logistics to put it together is enormous.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
I found the tone of the story a bit bitchy and skeptical. It's not even a story. They're working on it. I'm sure the logistics to put it together is enormous.
Hes a terrible writer. There are typos in half of his articles.

Finding an alternative use for the updates (shade canopies etc.) would be easy and welcomed in multiple areas of Downtown.

Smithfield will deliver a great finished product, which could lead to a huge boost in confidence towards tall residential development Downtown.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 12:11 AM

Quote:
I agree there was no substance to the story, I do however believe there is a method to the madness. Since Smithfield did not respond there was no story. Often however, we get updates from companies who choose not to comment after the lack of progress on their project shows up in the news. They are usually quick to speak out then and defend their project. Patience, I bet we hear from Smithfield now by next week.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest