HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brisavoine View Post
I've lived in both language areas, so I can confidently speak about it, from first hand experience. French (especially in France, less so in Québec) has FAR MORE difference between the formal language and the casual slangish language. English has far less difference. And slang evolves much more in French. I mean people still routinely use US English slang (or British English slang) from the 1990s or earlier, whereas French slang from more than 15 years ago already marks you as someone for the generation before.

This is a little bit like US slang from before WW2 like "honest" or "nifty" or "swell". If you still used it, you'd sound quaint and old-fashioned. The other day they broadcasted a US movie from the 1930s on French television, set in NYC, and it struck me how US slang had evolved since then, what sounded "cool" to them just sounds so old-fashioned and quaint now. Well in French you wouldn't have to go all the way back to the 1930s. Already the slang of the late 1990s or early 2000s would be a bit old-fashioned now and mark you as someone from the 1970s generation.
For English I think this was true until about 5 years ago; slang moved slowly for decades. But the younger folks in the Anglosphere are inventing new slang at a crazy rate since TikTok became a thing. There are things 20 year olds say now that I legitimately can't understand, and I'm only in my early 30s.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 7:01 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The English spoken in Scotland and Australia (and even Newfoundland) is quite distinct from standard written English, and this is not merely a consequence of the different accents. Don't get me started on Scouse (Liverpool) and Cockney (London, UK).

Quebec is not that special in this regard.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 7:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
The English spoken in Scotland and Australia (and even Newfoundland) is quite distinct from standard written English, and this is not merely a consequence of the different accents. Don't get me started on Scouse (Liverpool) and Cockney (London, UK).

Oh I wasn't really talking about Quebec French, but rather French in general.

The difference between spoken and written French also clearly exists in francophone Europe, though perhaps isn't as great as here.

"Niveaux de langue" is a fairly big thing in French. Not so much in English.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 8:03 PM

Quote:

Yes this is normal and not something to be ashamed of. My point is in Canada this is now largely absent in English so we have different dynamics. Other than Newfoundand/Cape Breton there aren't English accents where people need to switch between talking to their kids and making a professional phone call or other code switching.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post

Now I'm an agent provocateur.
Ben là. You too? There’s a bunch of you guys on this thread.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 9:00 PM

Quote:

Few examples of Newfoundland English:
- The arse is gone out of ‘er.
- Like trying to put butter on a cat’s arse with a hot knitting needle.
- Stay where you're at 'til I comes where you're to.

Now, add a heavy accent; plus the speaker speaking fast and it can be a challenge to understand Newfoundland English.

And, let's not forget there's Newfoundland French too! Or français terre-neuvien!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You can write English essentially the same way you speak it and not come across as a total rube.
Yes, exactly.

Anglophones don't realize French is essentially two languages (this is not a unique case among world languages). The one they learn at school is the formal one. They soon realize when they arrive in a Francophone country that the language people speak is quite different, words are different, grammatical constructions are different, pronunciation is different, etc. My Spanish flatmate in London was amazed that even a simple word like "water" has a colloquial version in French ("la flotte") that is different from the formal one ("l'eau"). Spanish, like English, doesn't have too much difference between colloquial and formal language, and doesn't have as many slang and colloquial words as French.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 10:56 PM

Quote:
The difference between spoken and written French also clearly exists in francophone Europe, though perhaps isn't as great as here.
I would think it is greater in Europe, since the Québécois tend to be rather informal, so I suppose you write more casually than we do, i.e. closer to how you speak.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 11:27 PM

Louisiana and Québec have diverged considerably...

Quote:
La Louisiane impose les «Dix commandements» dans les écoles

Le Figaro
19 juin 2024

https://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-actu/l...coles-20240619
The politician who forced that measure is called... Landry! I suppose if Québec had been absorbed by the US in 1812 and fully Anglicized, the Landry of Québec City would be as crazy as the Landry of Bâton Rouge today.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Yes, exactly.

Anglophones don't realize French is essentially two languages (this is not a unique case among world languages). The one they learn at school is the formal one. They soon realize when they arrive in a Francophone country that the language people speak is quite different, words are different, grammatical constructions are different, pronunciation is different, etc. My Spanish flatmate in London was amazed that even a simple word like "water" has a colloquial version in French ("la flotte") that is different from the formal one ("l'eau"). Spanish, like English, doesn't have too much difference between colloquial and formal language, and doesn't have as many slang and colloquial words as French.
I think this is a big part of why French-language education in Anglo-Canada has such a poor track record and why only 8% of Anglo-Canadians can speak French despite a half century of FSL instruction in anglophone public schools - the focus is too much on educating Anglo-Canadian kids in Standard Literary French, when really they should be teaching the Canadian vernacular.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 5:26 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
I think this is a big part of why French-language education in Anglo-Canada has such a poor track record and why only 8% of Anglo-Canadians can speak French despite a half century of FSL instruction in anglophone public schools - the focus is too much on educating Anglo-Canadian kids in Standard Literary French, when really they should be teaching the Canadian vernacular.

Just speaking from my own experience with elementary French education (or at least, what I remember of it) I think there was also way too much emphasis placed on learning the grammatical rules of the language from an early age, and not enough on basic everyday usage.

Grammar and structure was treated as if it were the starting point; but kids don't learn language from a "top-down" perspective, they learn it by being immersed in it and figuring it out from the bottom up. 7-year-olds don't need to know about proper conjugation, they just need to know how to communicate simple ideas.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 9:37 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Yup, though we don't use "la flotte" here.

Quote:
Yes, exactly.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 9:38 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

There is a fairly big difference between regions of the US, especially north vs south.

Quote:
Louisiana and Québec have diverged considerably...

The politician who forced that measure is called... Landry! I suppose if Québec had been absorbed by the US in 1812 and fully Anglicized, the Landry of Québec City would be as crazy as the Landry of Bâton Rouge today.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I suppose one can make that argument, but if the goal is to teach how to read and write, as well as speak, then it would not be helpful.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 12:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I suppose one can make that argument, but if the goal is to teach how to read and write, as well as speak, then it would not be helpful.
Any increase in the level of fluency in any variant of French on the part of more Anglo-Canadians would be helpful I suppose.

People who say they can't communicate in French in Quebec because they only learned Parisian French in Calgary or Kitchener generally don't have a good level of fluency to begin with, because if you do it's fairly easy to transition over between whatever French you learned and the French here.

Speaking from my experience with Spanish, where I'd describe my level as a "B", I can communicate fairly easily with people who speak any variant, including even highly spanglishized US-born hispanics.

In fact, I've never had any communication problems related to the variant of Spanish spoken by my interlocutor, no matter where I've been. The problems always come from the shortcomings of my own fluency.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 1:37 PM
菠蘿油

Quote:
There is a fairly big difference between regions of the US, especially north vs south.
Exactly. There are a lot of Acadians in Maine and while generally conservative, they aren't the crazy kind of fundamentalists you see in the deep south.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 2:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Exactly. There are a lot of Acadians in Maine and while generally conservative, they aren't the crazy kind of fundamentalists you see in the deep south.
Franco-Americans in the northeastern US (descended from francophones originally from Quebec and to a lesser degree Atlantic Canada) are typically Republicans and therefore a lot more conservative than the descendants of their ancestors are today "back home".

But you're right - it's not crazy there like down in the Deep South.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Any increase in the level of fluency in any variant of French on the part of more Anglo-Canadians would be helpful I suppose.

People who say they can't communicate in French in Quebec because they only learned Parisian French in Calgary or Kitchener generally don't have a good level of fluency to begin with, because if you do it's fairly easy to transition over between whatever French you learned and the French here.

Speaking from my experience with Spanish, where I'd describe my level as a "B", I can communicate fairly easily with people who speak any variant, including even highly spanglishized US-born hispanics.

In fact, I've never had any communication problems related to the variant of Spanish spoken by my interlocutor, no matter where I've been. The problems always come from the shortcomings of my own fluency.
100% agree. And personally as my French has improved I've come around to that view as well.

On the levels, I wish we would junk our public service levels and adopt the EU levels for both English and French (DELF/DALF). A huge problem with our system is the massive range of the B level and a rather narrow band for C. This is why our Francophones often think our public service French is ridiculous (most jobs ask for Bs and only execs need Cs). I have been on a year long full time accelerated CBC course, that I lucked out for (I am not at exec level). Tested CBB in November. Tested CBB in May. I started with a CAA last summer. I could barely give directions properly in November. Now I go 7-8 hrs a day without speaking English. Yet, apparently I am at the same level apparently. I think more gradations would actually help here to really identify differences. Would also help to actually increase levels across the public service. The large gap between B and C means that it's a massive commitment to try and get somebody from B to C. With more steps we would probably offer more but shorter courses.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Just speaking from my own experience with elementary French education (or at least, what I remember of it) I think there was also way too much emphasis placed on learning the grammatical rules of the language from an early age, and not enough on basic everyday usage.

Grammar and structure was treated as if it were the starting point; but kids don't learn language from a "top-down" perspective, they learn it by being immersed in it and figuring it out from the bottom up. 7-year-olds don't need to know about proper conjugation, they just need to know how to communicate simple ideas.
I'm going to offer a unique perspective. I took FSL all through high school. Now I've had to go back to a year long course in my 40s. I also have a kid in full French school (thanks to a military exemption).

During my French course, every single person that got a C in oral on their first attempt did immersion in elementary school. They may not have talked for 20 years. But it was amazing to see how quickly it came back with a few months of formal training. One of them grew up in Sudbury and had such a strong accent and fluidity, substitute teachers sometimes asked if she grew up Francophone. She only had immersion till the end of grade 6.

All this has reconfirmed what I suspected before. It's more important to learn more at a younger age than spend more years learning the language. Every military person and public servant knows this. That's why most of us put our kids in immersion or full French.

That mandatory Grade 9 French credit in Ontario. Mostly useless. 25% immersion all through elementary school would actually do a lot more. 50% would be ideal. But anything more than the 30-45 mins per day today would be a massive improvement. And it's not just because more time would be spent on French. It's because more time would be spent actually talking and listening as opposed to writing a bunch of verb conjugations 50 times which is what elementary and middle school French is mostly about.

I also question the quality of French teachers. Now that I actually have decent comfort in French, when I think back, I think I know more now than most of my French teachers did growing up. Given how prestigious/lucrative teaching jobs are in this country and how many Francophones and bilinguals we have, that should never have been the case. And I suspect if we had 25% immersion instead of 45 mins per day (or whatever it was in elementary school) we'd have had more actual Francophone teachers making us more comfortable with French instead of drilling verb conjugations just to make work.

Last edited by Truenorth00; Jun 20, 2024 at 4:21 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
100% agree. And personally as my French has improved I've come around to that view as well.

On the levels, I wish we would junk our public service levels and adopt the EU levels for both English and French (DELF/DALF). A huge problem with our system is the massive range of the B level and a rather narrow band for C. This is why our Francophones often think our public service French is ridiculous (most jobs ask for Bs and only execs need Cs). I have been on a year long full time accelerated CBC course, that I lucked out for (I am not at exec level). Tested CBB in November. Tested CBB in May. I started with a CAA last summer. I could barely give directions properly in November. Now I go 7-8 hrs a day without speaking English. Yet, apparently I am at the same level apparently. I think more gradations would actually help here to really identify differences. Would also help to actually increase levels across the public service. The large gap between B and C means that it's a massive commitment to try and get somebody from B to C. With more steps we would probably offer more but shorter courses.

Agree our levels could use a rejig. I am not sure I agree with the chart above. To get an Oral C I think you need to be at least B2 on the European scale. I havent't taken EU French test but in other languages a B1 is nowhere near what you'd need to get a C. Even a weak B2 is questionable in my opinion. Sure a C1 is true fluencey that isn't tested at any of our levels. It's sad when they take an executive spend 12 months to get them to CCC and it's really cringworthy as they make speeches or lead meetings in French. Teaching to the test is rampant.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 4:38 PM

Quote:
The thing is you'll need formal French if you want to work in French.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada