HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 7:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Will Slush Puppie become the new Rogers? Will we see Slush Puppie Arena, Slush Puppie Stadium, Slush Puppie Field, Slush Puppie Dome, etc. sprout up all over the country?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 8:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Will Slush Puppie become the new Rogers? Will we see Slush Puppie Arena, Slush Puppie Stadium, Slush Puppie Field, Slush Puppie Dome, etc. sprout up all over the country?
Probably more germane to Canada's hockey culture than the Avenir Centre in Moncton. You might think such a name is inspired and refers to the future and growth and prosperity, but, no, the name comes from an audiology firm in NB that bought the naming rights.........

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 8:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Probably more germane to Canada's hockey culture than the Avenir Centre in Moncton. You might think such a name is inspired and refers to the future and growth and prosperity, but, no, the name comes from an audiology firm in NB that bought the naming rights.........
I am mostly relieved that people aren't following the typically Monctonian trait of using the fully bilingual name in both languages...

The game starts at 7 pm at the Centre Avenir Centre

Le match débutera à 19 heures au Centre Avenir Centre

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 8:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Actually the sign on the front of arena does say Centre Avenir Centre

But nothing beats the Aeroport Internationale du Grand Moncton Romeo LeBlanc Greater Moncton International Airport.

And that is what is on the sign in front of the airport.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 8:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Actually the sign on the front of arena does say Centre Avenir Centre
That's OK.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 9:43 PM

CAQ sounding like in reports today that they will likely fund the roof and technical ring repairs that will likely be north of $750 million. Mayor Plante also stated the roof must be fixed as its a must a they cannot tear the stadium down. If Quebec goes down this BC place type renovation of the Big O i am assuming then there's likely no money available to renovate Molson Stadium so Alouettes may be forced along with CF Montreal to move into a refurbished Stade Olympique. Its very risky and I think they will need to lower the field like Manchester City did after the Commonwealth Games to get rid of the track that keeps the stands too far from the field.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 10:04 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'd gladly accept Slush Puppie Field in Hamilton if such libations were served better and more timely than the Tim Hortons coffee at the f@cking stadium that was given the f@cking naming rights!

The concessions are NEVER ready for the coffee requests, in summer never mind in fall when they're more likely. And it's a cheap beverage, yet seemingly so hard to prepare in advance of an anticipative demand.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 10:08 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
CAQ sounding like in reports today that they will likely fund the roof and technical ring repairs that will likely be north of $750 million. Mayor Plante also stated the roof must be fixed as its a must a they cannot tear the stadium down. If Quebec goes down this BC place type renovation of the Big O i am assuming then there's likely no money available to renovate Molson Stadium so Alouettes may be forced along with CF Montreal to move into a refurbished Stade Olympique. Its very risky and I think they will need to lower the field like Manchester City did after the Commonwealth Games to get rid of the track that keeps the stands too far from the field.
I think the Als will be forced to invest their own money into Molson. I can't see them moving to the Big O. Ever again. Could the track at Molson be removed to allow for football/soccer improvements, with the university using the one at Olympic Stadium?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 10:15 PM
I am the law!

Isn't there programmed space under the stadium (aquatic centre for one) complicating lowering the bowl?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I think the Als will be forced to invest their own money into Molson. I can't see them moving to the Big O. Ever again. Could the track at Molson be removed to allow for football/soccer improvements, with the university using the one at Olympic Stadium?
Perhaps, the track is only 3 or 4 lanes its not a regulation track. even a lower bowl only big O in my opinion is too big for the Als needs and most of the Als fan base lives on the West Island from my understanding. Anywho here's the article about the Big O and its future.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...-minister-says

Quebec won't confirm reported $750M cost for new Olympic Stadium roof
"We'll get back to you with the cost, the schedules," Tourism Minister Caroline Proulx said. "The cabinet will make its decision in January."

QUEBEC — The Legault government will study the finances of Montreal’s Olympic Park in January, and it won’t be until then that the cost of any new roof for the stadium will be revealed, Quebec Tourism Minister Caroline Proulx told reporters on Wednesday.

Arriving at the weekly cabinet meeting, Proulx refused to confirm a report in La Presse that said Quebec taxpayers would have to foot a bill of at least $750 million to replace the Olympic Stadium roof.

“We can study it sometime in January, then we’ll get back to you with the cost, the schedules and all that involves a potential replacement of the roof,” Proulx said. “The cabinet will make its decision in January.”

Last October, Premier François Legault stated clearly that the Olympic Stadium needed a new roof and the venue needed a new lease on life, even though the operation might be costly.

The current roof has reached the end of its operational life. In 2017, the Liberal government of Philippe Couillard announced the roof would be replaced at a cost of $200 million to $250 million with delivery of the project expected in 2022. But in 2019, that timetable was pushed to 2024 because of the complexity of the project. Since then, the amended schedule has also been scrapped, and no new date has been provided.

On Wednesday, Proulx told reporters the stadium roof was torn in about 20,000 places, but she had no intention of “presuming” what cabinet would do.

“Doing roof work is never really the ‘sexiest’ thing,” she said. “(But) if we wait any longer, within a year or two, the Olympic Stadium will be completely closed.”

On Tuesday, the Olympic Park announced the stadium would be closed until further notice to accommodate exploratory work necessary for any replacement of the roof, a decision that will force the CF Montréal soccer team to play its first matches of 2024 outside of its home stadium.

Meanwhile, cities like Toronto are able, with their infrastructure, to attract megastars like Taylor Swift, Proulx noted.

“Tourist spending associated with the presence of Taylor Swift in Toronto: US$1,600 per spectator, 42,000 spectators times five days, that’s $350 million that Quebec … is losing because currently, we’re not capable of having a stadium.”

According to the Minister of the Economy Pierre Fitzgibbon, responsible for Montreal, the solution is certainly not to “demolish” the stadium.

“It’s a structure that is still somewhat iconic for Montreal. If we don’t do anything with it, we will destroy it, which is not a good option for Montreal. … We have to do something,” he said.

“We are not demolishing the Olympic Stadium,” Montreal Mayor Valérie Plante agreed on Wednesday. A lot of money has been invested in the Olympic Stadium, it is also a symbol of Montreal. … The city has invested nearly $1.5 billion.

“It’s like Groundhog Day … so we can’t wait to find a lasting solution as quickly as possible,” she added.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Isn't there programmed space under the stadium (aquatic centre for one) complicating lowering the bowl?
The subway is adjacent, then there is a huge parking garage with ~2400 spots.

https://parcolympique.qc.ca/planifie...tationnements/

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 11:48 PM

They are saying this roof mess torpedoed any plans to have Taylor Swift in Montreal which as a fan I find Annoying, why don't they just replace the current teflon / fiberglass roof (blue roof) they have now and wait till 2025 to do a new roof and get the big concerts in for 2024, look at the revenue it will generate for Montreal to have Taylor here. To have that passed up just to do construction now doesn't make sense, if they have to do preparatory work for a while ok but at least have the Swift concert go ahead in the fall. But I guess its too late ? Is it final she will not do Montreal ? She isn't going to be touring forever and the tour looks like it will end in 2024.
They could do other work as BC Place did, replace the seats, renovate the concession areas. If they want to save the stadium as they say they want to they can at least start on some interior work. The entire way they are approaching this is ass backwards including kicking out the soccer team Montreal Impact so they have to play all their early season games on the road till April

Last edited by northernlights99; Dec 14, 2023 at 3:41 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 12:46 AM

What is this 'technical ring' they speak of, is it that circular structure from which the lights and speakers hang from here in this pic ? Or is the technical ring outside the stadium ? Would make sense to replace the ring first, as is apparent in this pic, the ring structurally holds the roof together as a unit. Is the plan to make the new roof made of metal or concrete ? That would significantly add load to the structure. When they imploded the Kingdome in Seattle they fractured (blew up) the ribs first sector by sector (the ribs holding up the roof), that brought the roof down faster.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 1:55 AM

Yes, the technical ring is that ring at the edge of the opening from the permanent structure to the blue roof. No it wouldn't make any sense to put a new roof on for Taylor, then put whatever the new permanent roof is going to be after. I don't care what numbers they toss around, no way is $1600 US per person close to accurate. Sure there will be some people that spend that in flights hotels meals and tickets. That will be a very low number of people, and how much of that actually represents revenue to the host city? My daughter and her friends went to Detroit to see Taylor this past summer. A couple hundred bucks each for tickets, dinner in Windsor, and parking in Detroit. What is Detroit's benefit from that? Diddly.

Besides, it's not like this is a retirement tour for Taylor. She will be on the road in 2025, either under this tour or the next one, and maybe if Montreal gets the stadium fixed, she will no doubt give it a look.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlights99 View Post
What is this 'technical ring' they speak of, is it that circular structure from which the lights and speakers hang from here in this pic ? Or is the technical ring outside the stadium ? Would make sense to replace the ring first, as is apparent in this pic, the ring structurally holds the roof together as a unit. Is the plan to make the new roof made of metal or concrete ? That would significantly add load to the structure. When they imploded the Kingdome in Seattle they fractured (blew up) the ribs first sector by sector (the ribs holding up the roof), that brought the roof down faster.

The technical ring is the giant circular structure where you see the lighting system by the blue roof and stretches to the top of the upper deck seats. That's why this renovation is going to be incredibly expensive and would not be surprised is it brings down the CAQ government with how wasteful this spending is when they are already in hot water they gave the la kings to host 2 exhibition games next year in QC for $7 Million and they are dealing with the teachers strike.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 3:54 AM

Ok so how much does a new blue roof cost ? I am sure the Government will seek an estimate on that also as a Plan B. The current blue roof has been there since 1998. If you replace the current blue roof, you extend the life of the stadium by 15 years or so until the Government makes more concrete plans for the future. There is a 2 week period between Swift's Toronto and Vancouver shows, she could do Montreal before Toronto, there is hardly any snow early November to affect the roof. Hopefully the Government will do the correct thing and just announce replacement of the current blue roof. That is cost effective and makes sense considering the stadium isn't used that much. In Vancouver the situation was different, at BC Place the dome deflated due to a panel blow out (they refused to turn on the heating system to 'save money' and ice built up on upper teflon panel and slid down and tore thru the teflon). The cost of the new roof for BC Place was $ 365 million plus another $ 200 million for Renos (54,500 new wider seats, revamped concessions and washrooms). That seemed more reasonable. BC Place was a dump before this improvement. But BC Place has two current long term tenants, the BC Lions and Vancouver Whitecaps, plus many concerts visit so that cost was justified. In the case of Olympic Stadium in Montreal, I don't believe a One Billion dollar price tag for the roof and technical ring is justifiable. How long would it take to replace the blue roof ? I say replace the blue roof and re approach Rogers and try to get Swift in. Heck Metallica played under the blue roof.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 11:28 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlights99 View Post
Ok so how much does a new blue roof cost ? I am sure the Government will seek an estimate on that also as a Plan B. The current blue roof has been there since 1998. If you replace the current blue roof, you extend the life of the stadium by 15 years or so until the Government makes more concrete plans for the future.
There is work required on the "technical ring" regardless of the roof itself. So it's not just a simpler/cheaper replacement. I can't find the posts about it but I seem to recall something from earlier this year. It's noted in these articles though:
https://montrealgazette.com/business...c-stadium-roof
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...osed-1.7056966

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 10:52 PM

this is the best close up I can find of the concrete ring, its solid concrete and runs around stadium ring for half a kilometer so this is no easy fix, will have to be jackhammared out :

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 10:56 PM

What's my point ? Simple, maybe since the Govt seems to have $ 7 million spare to give to the LA Kings (worth $ 1.7 billion) to play ex. games in Quebec City, they ought to make an offer to Taylor Swift to reconsider Montreal under a new blue roof

Last edited by northernlights99; Dec 14, 2023 at 11:37 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 11:03 PM

this is pretty pathetic, someone has to take some responsibility for this fiasco :

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/montreal...ster-1.6686448

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada