HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 3:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

It also depends on which riding he'd run in.

Chrystia Freeland is a westerner and Albertan born and raised, but she ran in a downtown Toronto riding.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
He still has family here.

As for not being labeled a laurentian elite. I will be surprised if he doesn't. Since he lives in Ontario now.

If he had moved back to Alberta that may have changed things.
Oh, I didn't know that. I had assumed NY since he's at Brookfield and has (had?) that UN position.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 6:26 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It also depends on which riding he'd run in.

Chrystia Freeland is a westerner and Albertan born and raised, but she ran in a downtown Toronto riding.
Reposting this for shits and giggles ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
You do realize that when he was appointed as head of the BoC in 2003 he was perfectly bilingual ... and probably spoke better French than the current PM

For the record, I believe that Carney is still living in Ottawa, though he probably owns a home in Toronto and likely a cottage in the Muskokas. As such, here are a couple links to the current state of polling in those three areas, so what is your opinion of which Liberal in a safe seat will quit to allow for a by-election for Carney to sweep in on?

https://338canada.com/ottawa.htm (Vanier??)
https://338canada.com/ottawa.htm (Centre cause Christie ain't gonna go?)
https://338canada.com/ontario.htm

And I guess they'd better quit soon as Acottawa said, leadership race take a while
I have heard through friends that while he spends time elsewhere, Ottawa is considered his primary residence, though this is really heresy so don't take it to the bank (ha ha)

Do something about your future.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
Oh, I didn't know that. I had assumed NY since he's at Brookfield and has (had?) that UN position.
Nope went to St Francis Ex Catholic High School. Was a teammate of his Brother back in the 80s.

As for Freeland she still has family in the Peace country.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 7:57 PM

How long before the Americans start tightening up our shared border thanks to the Trudeau government's (in)actions?

‘Unprecedented’: Human smuggling from B.C. to U.S. soars, using train, Uber and foot
By Darryl Greer, The Canadian Press

Posted May 31, 2024 1:00 am. Last Updated May 31, 2024 6:03 am.
In November last year, American border agents ordered that a freight train crossing into the U.S. be halted.

Homeland Security agent David Spitzer said in an affidavit that 13 Mexican nationals were discovered and many “attempted to abscond after the train was ordered to stop.”

But the scene didn’t take place on the U.S. border with Mexico — it unfolded just south of Vancouver, where American prosecutors and law enforcement officers say they’re dealing with a huge increase in human smuggling from British Columbia.

American officials say organized crime groups have employed a variety of methods to move their human cargo, such as hiding people among plastic pellets in freight trains or having them cross the border on foot, as well as racking up tens of thousands of dollars in Uber bills to transport them once across the border.

A U.S. crackdown on foot crossings is meanwhile taking place at Peace Arch Park, the unfenced park that straddles the border, in response to the increased operations of what U.S. Customs and Border Protection called “transnational criminal organizations.”

Matthew Murphy, an assistant special agent in charge with U.S. Homeland Security Investigations based in Washington state, said there had been a major spike in human smuggling through B.C.....

....U.S. Customs and Border Protection statistics show that “encounters” at the B.C.-Washington border — including apprehensions, expulsions and people being deemed inadmissible — are on track to quadruple since 2021. There were 42,913 encounters in the 2023 U.S. fiscal year, up from 12,345 two years earlier. In the first half of the current fiscal year, there have been 27,483 encounters.

The spike is also occurring across the entire northern border, with encounters up from 27,180 in 2021, to 189,402 last year
....(bold mine)

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/0...uber-and-foot/

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 8:07 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Just because it comes up from time to time - fascinating deep dive into what's actually happening. I learned a lot, despite also knowing more than average before watching.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 4:12 PM

I am seeing my first conservative misstep. Not from the party per se. Conservative commentator Tasha Kheirridin proposing mandatory national service in the National Post as a way to apparently rekindle lost patriotism among young people:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/tas...could-fix-that

This idea is inspired by the British Tories proposing it in their platform. They've of course, given up on the youth vote entirely and are doing what they can to minimize their upcoming loss by absolutely doubling down on the Boomer vote. Yet, inexplicably some conservatives in Canada are falling for this.

As YIMBY activist Eric Lombardi points out this deal would be fundamentally unfair in a Canada where young people are locked out of the housing market and possibly even family life in some cases. In other jurisdictions, national service is part of the social contract and paired with substantial benefits for younger people, like tuition free post-secondary.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/cont...a3ba948dc.html

I actually think some form of national service can actually work to build cohesion, discipline and instill a sense of national pride. Most who have served (not just in the military, but as firefighters, police, medics, forest rangers, etc) will tell you the same. However, I don't think that effect will be there if we simply impose it on a bunch of young people as a punitive measure for not having the same political values as their parents and grandparents. If this idea gets legs as a response to "wholeness", Trudeau will have to give Sunak a gift basket.

That said, I have always argued that graduating from high school should 2-3 elements beyond academics:

1) A test of knowledge equivalent to the citizenship test.
2) A fitness test equivalent to entry into the CAF.
3) Substantial community service. Not just 20-40 hours. More like 100 hrs and not just in a cause that benefits the participant.

Some of the above would inculcate similar values and traits without the need for national service.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 5:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

With apologies to Starship Troopers

I am not entirely opposed to the idea of a year of national service of some form (not necessarily in the military). When I was in junior high school in PEI back in the 1970s, we actually were obligated to do army cadet training. We were issued uniforms, learned to march, did firearms training, and learned a variety of disciplines (mine was map reading). I reached the lofty rank of corporal. Queen Charlotte Junior High actually had an armoury and a rifle range in the school basement.

Mind you, this was the height of the cold war, and the city of Charlottetown actually tested the air raid sirens on a monthly basis (there is no more spooky sound in the world than an air raid siren).

I don't know when the cadet program was disbanded by the school district.

In any event, it didn't cause me any mental harm that I can think of, and, in some ways was a bonding exercise.

I know this is not the same as compulsory national service, but, I think it gives me a little perspective. If such a program were ever adopted, it should be for no more than a year, and, should be accompanied by a carrot or reward such as reduced university tuition fees, or if a person decides to do two years of service, they get full tuition for their four year undergraduate degree.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 5:24 PM

I don't really agree with some sort of mandatory service. I know people who have done it in Germany where it is mandatory and they told me that it had definitely not made they feel happier about their country and government. Many of the things they did were not well organized and a number of the initiatives were more for show than for the benefit of everyone.

It would be quite ironic if PP decided to go this way when he's claiming to make Canada the freest country on Earth. And a federal program of that type would be a very hard sell in a number of provinces, especially Quebec. And there would be more bureaucracy created which also would be ironic under a potential PP government.

We already have (or had?) Katimavik but it's not something really helpful in today's economy with employment shortages. I know some people who were a part of that and their tasks varied widely. Many things they did were helpful to communities and organizations while others were them just being taken advantage of for free labour.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 7:43 PM

Did anyone post already that the Trudeau Liberals posted a $50.9 Billion deficit for the last fiscal year?

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/federal-...year-1.2079845

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 7:50 PM

Pretty sure the USA offers special mortgages and loans to their veterans. That could solve Gen Z’s problem, dividing the generation in two: there would be the homeless and renter-for-life Gen Zs, and the Gen Zs Who Served, who’d bask in the glow of their ultra-low-interest long-amortization mortgages

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 7:51 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
This idea is inspired by the British Tories proposing it in their platform.

The same British Tories who polling suggests are primed to secure their worst-ever electoral showing with 66 seats.

Great role models.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 10:49 PM

I am not opposed to national service, but I think it needs to be tied to a clear goal. In most democratic countries with national service it is tied to a long term militia used for territorial defence. I am not sure Canada has a use for that, the military certainly has no focus on territorial defence.

It would require huge amounts of money to feed, house, train and supervise hundreds of thousands of 18 year olds.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
The same British Tories who polling suggests are primed to secure their worst-ever electoral showing with 66 seats.

Great role models.
The British Tories are clearly motivated by their need to attract older voters and arguing that the kids are too soft is a tale as old as time. Why conservative partisans here (who have had the advantage with young voters) would suggest the same over here is beyond me. Culture wars are a losing proposition. Right or left.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Did anyone post already that the Trudeau Liberals posted a $50.9 Billion deficit for the last fiscal year?

That's about $10billion more than projected, no?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
That's about $10billion more than projected, no?
Yep. Almost $11B more

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 12:52 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
I am seeing my first conservative misstep. Not from the party per se. Conservative commentator Tasha Kheirridin proposing mandatory national service in the National Post as a way to apparently rekindle lost patriotism among young people:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/tas...could-fix-that

I think some (small-c) conservative commentators are getting a little too excited with the seemingly inevitable majority that awaits their party-of-choice in a little over a year and are wishcasting some personal hobbyhorses; but I highly doubt the actual Conservative Party would propose anything so controversial when their clear path to victory is a very simple, very easy "not be the Liberal Party".

What the UK Tories are doing now is not unlike the Canadian Liberals in the face of inevitable electoral evisceration: desperately throw any crazy policy at the wall in the hopes that something sticks - likely knowing full well that they'll never have to deliver on it anyway.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post

That article states that the actual number will be released in the Fall and the deficit should be a bit lower as there are some revenue calculations that weren't included as of yet.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I don't really agree with some sort of mandatory service. I know people who have done it in Germany where it is mandatory and they told me that it had definitely not made they feel happier about their country and government. Many of the things they did were not well organized and a number of the initiatives were more for show than for the benefit of everyone.

It would be quite ironic if PP decided to go this way when he's claiming to make Canada the freest country on Earth. And a federal program of that type would be a very hard sell in a number of provinces, especially Quebec. And there would be more bureaucracy created which also would be ironic under a potential PP government.

We already have (or had?) Katimavik but it's not something really helpful in today's economy with employment shortages. I know some people who were a part of that and their tasks varied widely. Many things they did were helpful to communities and organizations while others were them just being taken advantage of for free labour.
National service is not intended to make you feel happy, its intended to make you feel part of something bigger than yourself. Esprit de Corps as the French call it. Boot camp is designed to weed out the dangerous, incompetent and assholes in the first three weeks. By week 8 Your Platoon is starting to gel and trust each other. By week thirteen the platoon can actually do things in a disciplined manner and that Spirit of the group can be an exhilarating thing.Canada should offer it to any Kid in High school but most schools have active anti military policies that have told Canadians that we are peacekeepers. Whatever that is?

Your German friends did their service within a schizophrenic construct as we are seeing now with the present German government and their support one day,no the next, support for Ukraine.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
National service is not intended to make you feel happy, its intended to make you feel part of something bigger than yourself. Esprit de Corps as the French call it. Boot camp is designed to weed out the dangerous, incompetent and assholes in the first three weeks. By week 8 Your Platoon is starting to gel and trust each other. By week thirteen the platoon can actually do things in a disciplined manner and that Spirit of the group can be an exhilarating thing.Canada should offer it to any Kid in High school but most schools have active anti military policies that have told Canadians that we are peacekeepers. Whatever that is?

Your German friends did their service within a schizophrenic construct as we are seeing now with the present German government and their support one day,no the next, support for Ukraine.
Well, I think you hit it on the nail. "Boot camp is designed to weed out ...." Those that argue for mandatory service are in many cases suggesting this as a way of addressing those that the military will weed out.

I am all for making certain military service is a viable and attractive option for those coming out of secondary school. Forcing everyone into the military for a year is not viable.

I know the Navy has some program they have been running for the past year or so where sailors can signup for a year to try it out. Perhaps that is a more viable option?

The US also has officer training programs run out of civilian universities. That might also be an option, offer free tuition and housing to those that sign up for a program like that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada