HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Can't wait for some more skyscrapers to begin construction....
It will probably be a slower year for GTA construction starts.

Pre-construction condo sales were down 80% in Q3 2022 (sales are still at decade lows AFAIK) and offices, while single floors are leasing, very few large blocks (> 30k sqft) are moving. Nobody is even considering signing 500k sqft. A number of purpose-built rentals seem to be moving ahead but none of those will make this list.

That said, there are a few with firm contracts currently in demolition like Sugar Wharf.

Lots of condo buildings will be registered this year. We'll get to see if investor/flippers are able to break-even or not. If this group takes non-trivial losses (due to severe leverage) it might be a few years before pre-construction condo sales ramp up again.

Last edited by rbt; Apr 27, 2023 at 12:26 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 2:13 PM

Hopefully this will mean we see more rental proposals. Personally I'd love to see a day where the downtown core wasn't a giant construction zone. Just for a year or so.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 2:41 PM
I am the law!

Little difference between condo and purpose built rental. IMHO, Purpose built rental picking up the slack will only continue mediocre ultra dense towers will small, dark living spaces. It's still investor looking towards a profitable exit.

A slowdown/correction (not convinced on that) has an opportunity to reset ything however, there's also the precedence that has been set.

I'm not convinced the drop in sales isn't a reaction to global economics and that it won't spur a feeding frenzy. We've been through a number of these during this two decade long boom as developers are still spending millions prepping sites for projects that haven't begun public sales. Some have proceeded to the excavation phase. That said, I'm presuming developer have the experts behind them on their decisions.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Little difference between condo and purpose built rental. IMHO, Purpose built rental picking up the slack will only continue mediocre ultra dense towers will small, dark living spaces. It's still investor looking towards a profitable exit.
We're still in a housing crisis so if developers stop selling new condos something will need to be done about it. Also over the past few years the rental towers have been looking great compared to most condo towers.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 3:10 PM
I am the law!

The investors will never finance enough rental construction to lower housing costs that hurts their bottom line. The federal government can't afford to build enough housing either when a family unit costs nearly a million. Housing costs is the basis of the crisis. It isn't supply. It ain't going away until we address growth and that won't happen until more Torontonians wake up and demand it.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
The investors will never finance enough rental construction to lower housing costs that hurts their bottom line. The federal government can't afford to build enough housing either when a family unit costs nearly a million. Housing costs is the basis of the crisis. It isn't supply. It ain't going away until we address growth and that won't happen until more Torontonians wake up and demand it.

What do you mean by address growth?

Also it looks like the city is working on excatly what I was saying about more rental unilts.

source: https://www.toronto.ca/news/city-of-...re%20residents.
The report outlines specific actions City staff will focus on starting this year and over the next three years, including:

removing policy and zoning barriers to building housing
leveraging public lands to increase the housing supply
preserving existing rental homes
supporting the development of a range of purpose-built rental homes (including market and non-market) through new and strengthened housing policies and programs
supporting the community sector (including non-profit and co-op housing providers) to modernize and grow their stock

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 6:36 PM

CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre l Phase 2 u/c

Neat view from Cormier’s doggy fountain.

mburrrrr

Huge steel canopy has appeared over the phase 2 over-build park* (*connects to phase 1). No idea what all that steel is for ;-).

Rascacielo

sammmy

Rascacielo

The One | 338.3m | 94s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners l u/c

27th floor slab being poured yesterday. They’re working at a pace of a floor (and walls, mega-columns etc) every 7 construction days. Darn good for such a complex build.

BloorMan

Benito

Johnny Au

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 11:11 PM

Anyone mind it I post a non-Toronto project?

Concord Metrotown from yesterday:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
2023, Apr 26

Untitled by Lexus LX600, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 11:47 PM
Volatile Pacivist

^ Looks exactly like Mississauga so it's ok.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 1:02 AM

Rebar placement for the tensile void foundation.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 5:05 AM
Midtowner since 2K

I took this two days ago as of now. Concord's Sky project (Should be #3 on this list*) is slowly making project, though I don't think I can stress how slow it is: Oh, and yes, this is in Toronto.
Cresfords Project on Yonge by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr
Cresfords Project on Yonge by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
^ Looks exactly like Mississauga so it's ok.
I actually had mistaken it for STC until I took a closer look

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Anyone mind it I post a non-Toronto project?

Concord Metrotown from yesterday:
Oh don't worry Toronto will bury it as soon as they can. Same as every national thread except weather and airport.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Oh don't worry Toronto will bury it as soon as they can.
If you don’t like seeing Toronto, maybe you should stay away from the “Canada’s 10 Tallest U/C” thread.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2023, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
If you don’t like seeing Toronto, maybe you should stay away from the “Canada’s 10 Tallest U/C” thread.
^ LOL... it's like a full time job for this guy.

Unfortunately the handy Ignore list buries his actual posts... but shows up when "quoted".

Old Posted Apr 29, 2023, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Yes, he seems incensed that Toronto, through no fault of its own, is the largest city in the nation, and dominates the threads about top highrise constructions and proposals. If that offends you, a Canadian skyscraper forum is not the best place for you. If anything, Toronto is underrepresented in this subforum (which is fine with me), with the exception of interminable samey pics of The One. Toronto construction updates by Maldive, GeneralLee, et al, generally go ignored, as do Toronto pics in the Canadian-Skyline thread. It's pathological.

Last edited by Gresto; Apr 30, 2023 at 3:22 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2023, 7:03 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
[B][SIZE="4"]
The One | 338.3m | 94s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners l u/c

27th floor slab being poured yesterday. They’re working at a pace of a floor (and walls, mega-columns etc) every 7 construction days. Darn good for such a complex build.
Dang she’s going to be skinny.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2023, 2:33 AM

The Top 10 list needs to accurately reflect the 10 tallest buildings U/C in the country. I agree it was fun when there were a few other cities in the mix but it is what it is. Toronto dominates, and there's nothing we can do about it. Its a very exciting time in the city with so many tall buildings rising. But yeah its best to avoid this thread if you don't want to hear about TO.

Montreal and Vancouver have height limits. Calgary's housing market seems to be on fire maybe we will see some 200m+ towers begin there? Other than that we have Burnaby and Mississauga building decently tall. Toronto is really the only city in the country without height limits (for the most part) and a massive residential demand. Our two office towers u/c (160 Front/CIBC) will likely be our last for a very long time.

Last edited by travis3000; Apr 30, 2023 at 3:10 AM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2023, 3:28 AM
Volatile Pacivist

What's wrong with Toronto dominating the top 10? It's by far the largest city and the only of the three largest without strict height limits. But it's not like other cities don't have plenty of construction. Most (all?) leading cities across the country have at least some, unlike it prior eras, so everyone should be happy. I don't get the controversy.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2023, 5:43 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Honestly, I'd love to see more cities in this thread, from a more broad range of provinces. It was nice having the ICE districts first phases under construction, it was exciting seeing them rise and that momentum building in Edmonton. Same goes for seeing Brookfield Place rise. Or Telus Sky.

I have to agree with the others here, especially Gresto in that our share of news is often under-reported due to the scale and breadth that goes on nowadays, just due to how big Toronto has become (and the same goes for the region). And I don't mean that in any negative light at all to anyone or any place.

Of course, the same can be said for Vancouver and Montreal, but the database of new proposals is always expanding, many times at a rate that can be difficult to catch up to.

I think most of my posts in this thread in the last year have gone toward Mississauga, which is much like any suburb with upcoming or say, in the case of Burnaby, existing higher transit nearby. While I don't necessarily enjoy going there, I can say it's nice being able to update threads here to catalog the progress made on these massive projects, much like any photo update I do based on construction, whether its SFH, or multi-family housing. Heck, I have construction images I have from Las Vegas I never posted on this site, but took in case a thread did exist.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada