HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 9:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
Don’t see it going in Granite Center since Taco Boyz is there. The other suggestion may be possible.
I saw the sign today. It is located exactly where the new plaza is going where Mary Brown's is listed as a tenant.

There are two possibilities:

Fat Bastard is owned by Mary Brown's. Could they have decided to colocate these two franchises side by side?

or

Could Mary Brown's have decided to use the space they are leasing in this future building for Fat Bastard instead of a 2nd Mary Brown's location in the metro area?

Given the layout of this small plaza, I think these two scenarios are equally possible.

Fat Bastard is a popular Toronto based chain. They were recently bought out by Mary Brown's. All their current locations are in southern Ontario, save for one in St. John's (NL). This would appear to be their 2nd Atlantic Canadian location.

https://www.fatbastardburrito.ca/

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jun 22, 2024 at 10:13 PM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I saw the sign today. It is located exactly where the new plaza is going where Mary Brown's is listed as a tenant.

There are two possibilities:

Fat Bastard is owned by Mary Brown's. Could they have decided to colocate these two franchises side by side?

or

Could Mary Brown's have decided to use the space they are leasing in this future building for Fat Bastard instead of a 2nd Mary Brown's location in the metro area?

Given the layout of this small plaza, I think these two scenarios are equally possible.

Fat Bastard is a popular Toronto based chain. They were recently bought out by Mary Brown's. All their current locations are in southern Ontario, save for one in St. John's (NL). This would appear to be their 2nd Atlantic Canadian location.

https://www.fatbastardburrito.ca/

I'd be surprised if people didn't complain about that name around here. Personally, I don't think Moncton needs another Chipotle clone.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 1:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Lot's of activity at the old Cabela's store this morning. At least a half dozen contractors trucks, and you could see work carrying on in the inside of the building. They've also punched through one of the exterior walls, presumably to allow access to the inside of the building for construction equipment (lift trucks etc.).

We still aren't entirely sure who the new tenant will be. The leading contender is Rona (or a Rona affiliated banner).

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Lot's of activity at the old Cabela's store this morning. At least a half dozen contractors trucks, and you could see work carrying on in the inside of the building. They've also punched through one of the exterior walls, presumably to allow access to the inside of the building for construction equipment (lift trucks etc.).

We still aren't entirely sure who the new tenant will be. The leading contender is Rona (or a Rona affiliated banner).
I was still hoping it was going to be a Grocery Store. I wonder how Rona will do in a crowded market. Kent, Home Depot and Home Hardware all have good support.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 3:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I was still hoping it was going to be a Grocery Store. I wonder how Rona will do in a crowded market. Kent, Home Depot and Home Hardware all have good support.
I agree. Metro would have been ideal, and with so many Jean Coutu pharmacies in southeastern NB, there is already a supply chain (of sorts) that could have supplied the store.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing. In fact, unless they differentiate themselves in some tangible way, I think they'll wind up like Target. Gone after their losses are too much to bear.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing. In fact, unless they differentiate themselves in some tangible way, I think they'll wind up like Target. Gone after their losses are too much to bear.
Maybe they are looking more at the booming construction industry and building materials rather than the guy fixing his toilet or painting the new baby room. I see Kent and Home Hardware boom trucks full of lumber and drywall all the time. I don't know the business so I'm not sure what the mix is of contractors vs DIY people.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybrae View Post
Maybe they are looking more at the booming construction industry and building materials rather than the guy fixing his toilet or painting the new baby room. I see Kent and Home Hardware boom trucks full of lumber and drywall all the time. I don't know the business so I'm not sure what the mix is of contractors vs DIY people.
That's a good point. DIY is just gravy for the Home Improvement chains; it's the bigger construction projects where the money's at, and goodness knows, Moncton's industry is booming. There's probably room for another player in the area in that respect.

Plus Rona is Canadian, so they know the national market at least and should have at least a passing knowledge of the Maritime markets, so it shouldn't be a Target situation at least.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 7:45 PM

If it is Rona, I hope they're successful in Moncton. I hate to see new to market businesses fail and close up shop.

But coming into Moncton and competing with Kent and Home Depot would be a challenge, given the long standing relationships they've established.

A friend of mine works at HD and told me the Moncton store is #1 in Canada in sales volume!

As MonctonRad said, Rona isn't 100% confirmed yet.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 5:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Best Buy Express Opens 1st Store in Canada, Plans 167 Small-Format Locations
By Mario Toneguzzi
Date: June 26, 2024
https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...mat-locations/

Quote:
This is what customers can expect at the new stores, according to Best Buy:
  • Curated assortment of tech – In-store customers will have the opportunity to interact with some of the latest and greatest tech with the help of Blue Shirts. Over 100,000 products will also be available to customers even if they’re not found in store, thanks to Best Buy’s world class fulfillment network;
  • Quick and easy pick up – Customers will be able to shop Best Buy’s full assortment online from small appliances to headphones and have the convenience of picking up and returning products at these locations;
  • Exclusive telecom services – Customers will be able to shop Bell, Virgin Plus and Lucky Mobile telecommunications services, all backed by knowledgeable sales and support they’ve come to expect from Best Buy and Bell; and
  • Geek Squad services – Best Buy Express stores will offer Geek Squad services including Protection and services for all consumer electronics products.
The Source at CF Champlain will be rebranded as a Best Buy Express by Christmas time, and, likely sooner.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 3:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thai Express is finally officially open at the Granite Centre.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 7:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

A couple of CF Champlain tidbits:

1) - Villa Madina is expected to open in about two weeks. They are still waiting on some needed equipment.
2) - Thai Express possibly may reopen. The lease is still in effect, and, apparently, there may be a new franchisee in the mix.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 4:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Rona is confirmed for the former Cabela's building in Mapleton Crossing (worker on site).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces