HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 8:42 PM

through november from ACI (cut and paste from wikipedia). It's ugly but the information is there.

1. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport Atlanta, Georgia, United States ATL/KATL 81,063,638 2.0% 2. London Heathrow Airport Hillingdon, Greater London, England, United Kingdom LHR/EGLL 60,708,301 1 1.7% 3. Beijing Capital International Airport Chaoyang, Beijing, China PEK/ZBAA 59,979,434 5 17.2% 4. O'Hare International Airport Chicago, Illinois, United States ORD/KORD 59,373,194 2 9.4% 5. Tokyo International Airport Ōta, Tokyo, Japan HND/RJTT 57,031,440 1 7.5% 6. Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport Roissy-en-France, Val d'Oise, Île-de-France, France CDG/LFPG 53,459,723 1 5.1% 7. Los Angeles International Airport Los Angeles, California, United States LAX/KLAX 51,691,807 1 6.3% 8. Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas, United States DFW/KDFW 51,425,817 1 2.0% 9. Frankfurt Airport Flughafen (Frankfurt am Main), Frankfurt, Hesse, Germany FRA/EDDF 47,088,077 5.3% 10. Denver International Airport Denver, Colorado, United States DEN/KDEN 46,164,063 2.1% 11. Madrid-Barajas Airport Madrid, Comunidad de Madrid, Spain MAD/LEMD 44,523,901 5.8% 12. Hong Kong International Airport Chek Lap Kok, Lantau Island, New Territories, Hong Kong HKG/VHHH 41,428,500 5.6% 13. John F. Kennedy International Airport Queens, New York City, New York, United States JFK/KJFK 41,326,599 6.1% 14. Amsterdam Airport Schiphol Haarlemmermeer, North Holland, Netherlands AMS/EHAM 40,463,288 8.6% 15. McCarran International Airport Las Vegas, Nevada, United States LAS/KLAS 37,357,928 8.7% 16. Dubai International Airport Garhoud, Dubai, United Arab Emirates DXB/OMDB 37,085,392 4 8.7% 17. George Bush Intercontinental Airport Houston, Texas, United States IAH/KIAH 36,502,345 1 4.7% 18. Suvarnabhumi Airport Racha Thewa, Bang Phli, Samut Prakan, Greater Bangkok, Thailand BKK/VTBS 36,415,935 0.5% 19. Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport Phoenix, Arizona, United States PHX/KPHX 34,586,265 2 5.8% 20. San Francisco International Airport San Mateo County, California, United States SFO/KSFO 34,302,399 1 0.0%

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 2:18 AM
TL;DR

Obviously, Beijing is poised to capture the top spot. It is newly-built, massive, and planned efficiently, and it is the biggest hub in a country where personal wealth is growing faster than population (which turns bus and rail passengers into air passengers, encourages international travel, etc). Look at it... traffic jumped 17.2%, while every single major American airport saw a drop in traffic. Heathrow saw its traffic drop, too - but they moved up in the rankings because American airports fell faster!

Blame it on the recession. I'm sure things will return to almost-normal in 2-3 years, but Beijing will still be on top. Every time air traffic has dropped off, people have pointed out that teleconferencing and other technologies will reduce the need for business travel... but air traffic has always returned to high levels.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 1:16 PM

Demolition of homes near O'Hare begins today

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...ins-today.html

March 24, 2010 5:11 AM
After long delays, work begins today to demolish more than 500 vacant homes and businesses in northwest suburban Bensenville to make way for the final runway in Chicago's $15 billion expansion of O'Hare International Airport.

Chicago Aviation Commissioner Rosemarie Andolino and Bensenville Mayor Frank Soto will meet with reporters later today to discuss the project.
In November, Bensenville agreed to a $16 million settlement to drop its decades-long opposition to reconfigured runways.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 6:58 AM

Well, at some point pretty soon, the several hundred homes and several hundred graves will finally be gone from the SW corner of the OMP site. And there will be nothing but empty fields there.

And yet, I bet then it'll feel like the project is 90% finished. All the billions of dollars of construction, and the thousands of tons of cement and steel, will seem like a walk in the park compared to the eons of wrangling about this land.

Of course, the new terminals remain under debate, but I can't wait for the runway work to get going. What a relief.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 10:26 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
After long delays, work begins today to demolish more than 500 vacant homes and businesses in northwest suburban Bensenville to make way for the final runway in Chicago's $15 billion expansion of O'Hare International Airport.
If you happen to be going by O'Hare, I suggest visiting this area. It's an unreal sight just like an area devastated by an earthquake or hurricane.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 12:27 AM
THAT Guy

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-b...gobusiness.com

O'Hare to get $400 million from U.S. for new runways
Posted by Greg H. at 4/5/2010 4:49 PM CDT

It looks like the city's plan to modernize and expand O'Hare Airport is about to get a huge $400-million influx of federal funds.

A host of dignitaries -- headed by U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood -- is scheduled to be at O'Hare on Tuesday morning to announce what a press advisory from U.S. Sen. Richard Durbin's office termed "an announcement regarding federal funding for O'Hare."

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 12:55 AM
TL;DR

^ It says that they have not disclosed what the funds will be used for... i.e. they could be applied to Phase I or used to kick-start Phase II.

I just flew through O'Hare this morning. Went through Terminal 1, which I haven't used in years. I had forgotten how great it is. Kudos to Helmut Jahn. Hopefully we can bring him in again to work on future terminal expansion, or a downtown HSR station.

One question though - why hasn't the city cleaned the glass on Terminal 1? So much of the thing is covered in glass panels, either of the window or spandrel variety, and all of them look grimy.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 7:03 AM

^ It is, isn't it? It's so light and airy, unlike most of this country's airports-- or even other terminals in O'Hare. I actually enjoy spending time there (but not too much time). And I really dig the "high-tech" aesthetic.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 10:03 AM

It's amazing how timeless that design is. Including the Michael Hayden light sculpture; it's just perfect for the tunnel, and it never gets old.
There is no airport concourse in the U.S. that I like better.
(If I were a heavy traveller and wanted more amenities or convenience, I might have a different perspective I suppose.)

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 1:50 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

One question though - why hasn't the city cleaned the glass on Terminal 1? So much of the thing is covered in glass panels, either of the window or spandrel variety, and all of them look grimy.
I think they clean it about this time every year (they may clean it other times as well). I was there in late March 2008 and it was being cleaned (and I got oversprayed), and I know they cleaned it last year in early March for the Olympic dignitaries.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 9:37 PM
BANNED

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN...pe=marketsNews

UPDATE 1-FAA commits $410 mln to finish Chicago O'Hare plan

Tue Apr 6, 2010 4:07pm EDT

CHICAGO, April 6 (Reuters) - The U.S. Department of Transportation on Tuesday committed $410 million toward completing an expansion of Chicago's O'Hare International Airport.

The Federal Aviation Administration funds will be used to build two new runways and extend a third for the second phase of the O'Hare Modernization Program, city and federal officials said at an airport news conference.

The FAA in 2005 committed $337 million for the first phase, which adds, relocates and extends runways at the world's second-busiest airport.

Chicago will issue $1.8 billion of bonds for phase 2 after selling about $1.9 billion of debt for phase 1, according to Rosemarie Andolino, the city's aviation commissioner.

City officials still eye construction of a new terminal, estimated to cost about $2 billion, but Mayor Richard Daley conceded that was a "tough sell." The total cost of the project including the terminal is $8.6 billion in 2008 dollars, according to a city aviation department spokeswoman.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...e-runways.html

April 06, 2010
Feds announce $410 million for O'Hare runways

Share | Posted by Monique Garcia at 12:14 p.m.; last updated at 1:57 p.m.

The expansion of O'Hare International Airport got a $410 million boost today as federal officials announced money to help build three runways.

U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin noted the money is the largest lump sum given to a single airport in recent history. The funding is part of the federal stimulus act, and officials estimate the expansion project will create 13,000 jobs.

Durbin, Illinois' senior senator, credited President Barack Obama, calling him O'Hare's "best ally."

"He understands that we need to keep our commitment to O'Hare, to Illinois and to the nation to put America back to work," Durbin said of Obama.

The money comes on top of a $337 million promised by the federal government in 2005, bringing the total federal investment in the expansion to $747 million.

"It's an enormous amount of money, but it really is the kind of investment that has to be made at O'Hare in order to continue it to be the premiere international airport that it is," said U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, a former Republican congressman from Peoria.

LaHood joined Mayor Richard Daley, Gov. Pat Quinn and Durbin at the airport to discuss the federal windfall.

The airport expansion has been running low on money because the major airlines at O'Hare are not on board ...

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 12:50 PM

The worm has certainly turned

Old O'Hare foes Elk Grove Village and Bensenville part of suburban effort to speed up Western access projects. Now attorney Karaganis only has cemetery residents to represent.

Suburban leaders pledge to get O'Hare western bypass built
By Madhu Krishnamurthy | Daily Herald Staff

DuPage County Board Chairman Robert Schillerstrom talks about regional support for the proposed Elgin-O'Hare western bypass to O'Hare International Airport during a news conference Thursday with suburban mayors from Cook and DuPage counties.

Bensenville Mayor Frank Soto speaks about the regional benefits of the proposed Elgin-O'Hare western bypass to O'Hare International Airport. Standing behind him from left are Des Plaines Mayor Marty Moylan, Roselle Mayor Gayle Smolinski, Cook County Board Commissioner and Elmwood Park Village President Peter Silvestri, and Franklin Park Mayor Barrett Pedersen.

Bringing jobs, more industry and retail, traffic congestion relief and mass transit to the West suburbs are primary reasons to build the proposed western bypass to O'Hare International Airport, suburban leaders say.

A group of mayors from Cook and DuPage counties and representatives of their county boards reaffirmed their support Thursday for getting that roadway built at any cost.

The Illinois Department of Transportation project would extend the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway to O'Hare from its eastern terminus in Itasca and would build a western bypass around the airport linking to I-90 and I-294.

Suburban leaders say they cannot rely on federal or state dollars alone to fund the estimated $3.6 billion project, considering federal monies are stretched thin and Illinois' operating budget shortfall is $13 billion.

Thursday's news conference was mainly to stress the message of continued regional support for the project from communities that have not always been aligned on the O'Hare issue, officials said.

The route of a western bypass location was problematic, with towns including Elk Grove Village and Bensenville objecting to designs putting the road in their municipalities.

"If anyone would have told me two years ago that we would all be standing in this room together - I could have won a lot of money on that bet," said Elk Grove Village Mayor Craig Johnson, who spent years fighting the project for fear it would damage the town's huge industrial park. "The reason we are here is because we are working together."

The final plan, which has broad support, puts the bypass mainly on the western edge of O'Hare. It connects to I-294 to the south in Franklin Park and to I-90 to the north near the Des Plaines oasis.

DuPage County Board Chairman Robert Schillerstrom said the most likely way to get the bypass built is to get the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority to fund it through user fees.

"We are not using that as our only option," Schillerstrom said. "We need to cast the net wide since the state is broke. We have to recognize that the federal government is not going to pay for this - the state government is not going to pay for this - none of us are going to be able to pay for this."

Each community affected by the bypass foresees some tangible benefits from the project.

"Bensenville sits in a unique position, being at the gateway of the western access," Village President Frank Soto said. "There will be tremendous economic opportunities, job creation for residents, and also revenue for the village. The plan also provides for a train/bus facility on Route 83 and Thorndale. The whole western side of O'Hare airport is pretty much a desert when it comes to mass transit."

.......more.....

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=373495

Old Posted May 8, 2010, 7:10 PM
THAT Guy

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=38156

Chicago moves ahead to fund O'Hare expansion with ticket tax money
By: Paul Merrion May 07, 2010

With or without airline approval, the city of Chicago is taking steps to line up financing for the second phase of the O'Hare Modernization Program.

The city plans to seek federal approval to use $1.4 billion in future ticket tax revenue to construct three runways and several taxiways, finishing the airfield portion of the project.

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 6:04 AM
TL;DR

This shouldn't be too controversial, right? The airlines (or, at least, the major players) WANT additional airfield improvements. They're just worried about the western terminal.

My guess is that the airline reps were trying to negotiate an agreement with the city preventing the western terminal. It looks like the city wasn't willing to make that guarantee, so instead the airlines get the concession that at least their ticket tax revenue won't be used for that western terminal, and the city will have to find other funding sources.

Given the city's current budgetary predicament, I doubt anything will happen anytime soon on that western terminal.

Last edited by ardecila; May 10, 2010 at 6:16 AM.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 4:18 AM

Landrum and Brown report for Gary/Chicago out

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com...m.asp?ID=41535

Quote:
The report, six months in development, revolves around primary business segments including aviation business development, land utilization, finance, governance and business/community. The key recommendations:

· Expand the runway—the top priority. The goal is to match and utilize the available FAA funds for this project using the 2006 timetable and the planned expansion that has addressed the environmental concerns. The selection of an experienced capital program manager is a must.

· Focus on charter operations in the leisure market to build an aviation base. Attracting these operations will create a niche market for Gary/Chicago International Airport and assist in financial stability of the airport as well as compliment the Chicago system.

· Continue the Compact with Chicago. Enhance coordination of efforts and planning as there is greater opportunity for financial success, business development and overall acceptance with their support.

· Evaluate governance, finances, professional talent, marketing/brand efforts as well as regional outreach as a method to successfully deliver the core aviation function (charter service).
The report is also available for download (from the article). Basically, attempts at getting passenger traffic shouldn't be a big priority for Gary/Chicago. There is also discussion that the airport should rebrand itself to present a better image.

After reading most of the report, I got the impression that a big factor in the success of the airport relies on the economic surrounding area. The fact of the matter is that most of the area is old industrial and a depressed market, which is affecting the ability of the airport to gain passenger and cargo traffic.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 4:59 PM

^"Continue the Compact with Chicago. Enhance coordination of efforts and planning as there is greater opportunity for financial success, business development and overall acceptance with their support."

Interesting conclusion but I question whether this "compact" is benefiting Chicago anymore.

I am coming to the conclusion that the Gary/Chicago airport is not going to fulfill its mission as a third airport alternative.

There is no longer any question that Milwaukee's Mitchell International is the third option for the Chicago market. It may not serve the market south of Dundee Rd but really what Central Chicagoland traveller is going to choose Gary over Midway or OHare?

What market does Gary serve that Ohare and Midway miss? There is currently no commercial air service at the Gary Chicago International Airport.
Gary is so far away from having a viable offering that it is a joke.

Mitchell is already serving as an alternative to relieve congestion in the Chicago airspace. It has a full domestic offering of flights and actually has some international flights. Mitchell airport director Barry Bateman estimates close to a million of Milwaukee's 8 million passengers come from northern Illinois.

From the Mitchell website;....
http://www.mitchellairport.com/news.html#Feb2010
MILWAUKEE (April 1, 2010) - Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker announced today a 34% increase in the number of February passengers at General Mitchell International Airport, making it the busiest February on record. The total of 668,504 passengers was 168,479 more than last February's 500,025 passengers.

Walker said, "Passengers from around Wisconsin and northern Illinois are enjoying the savings resulting from new, competitive service on Mitchell's low-fare airlines. This busy, thriving airport will continue to drive the economic health of our area."

Airport Director Barry Bateman said, "With a 34 percent increase in passengers, Mitchell soared past the national numbers and remains one of the fastest-growing airports anywhere." Passenger traffic nationwide declined 2.9 percent in February, according to the Air Transport Association.

The airport has seen a significant increase in the number of northern Illinois and Chicago-area travelers making the under-60-minute drive to Mitchell to take advantage of its low fares and parking fees.

Additionally, Amtrak ALREADY is serving Milwaukee Mitchell with 7 daily trips each way. The stated time for the trip from CUS is 1hr-14min; From Glenview it is a very inviting 52 min. That will continue to improve with more train investment.

The following airlines offer daily nonstop flights from Mitchell:
Air Canada, AirTran Airways, American Airlines, Continental Express, Delta, Frontier, Great Lakes Airlines, Midwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express, US Airways Express.

Below is a map of the Cities served non-stop from Mitchell.

Milwaukee Mitchell is hosting 225 Departures and 225 Arrivals everyday..
Meanwhile the crickets are chirping at Gary.

Last edited by jpIllInoIs; May 11, 2010 at 5:15 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
Interesting conclusion but I question whether this "compact" is benefiting Chicago anymore.
If the compact prevents Peotone from getting built, then the compact is still benefiting Chicago.

Quote:
What market does Gary serve that Ohare and Midway miss?
Well, in theory, the entire Southland/I-80 corridor, as well as NW Indiana. i.e. the same market that Peotone would. In the ballpark of a million people or more who have quite a hike to O'Hare. Milwaukee may seem close for north shore/suburban folk, but for those of us who grew up south of Madison Street the notion of going to Wisconsin for anything shorter than a weekend trip is silly. To southsiders, Wisconsin is a vacation, not a commute... but casino excitement, fireworks, and cheap gas/cigarettes are a stone's throw away in convenient NW Indiana.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 5:36 PM

I realize that the "compact" money is a place holder to keep SSA from developing. Realistically the SSA cannot develop without landing fee revenue and Daley controls all of the fees as long as he has a BI-State agreement that supersedes any State of Illinois powers.

And as for the South of Madison argument, that just points out that the Chicago market can be geographically segmented and the folks north of Touhy or Dempster will be just as unlikely to fly out of Gary.

If the compact is in place for political reasons (and I think was can agree that it is) then fine lets acknowledge that. But as for any legitimate claim that Gary will be Chicago's 3rd airport, well that is pure delusional fantasy.

And actually after O'Hare, Midway and Mitchell, the newly branded Chicago/Rockford airport can lay claim as Chicago's 4th airport. RFD currently has three (3) air service providers providing flights to six (6) destinations:

Again I point out that Gary has Zero (0) commercial flights.

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 2:56 AM

Actually, the problems are several fold, as mentioned in the report. The Gary airport can roughly service 5% of the entire Chicago market, which means, basically Northwestern Indiana. Add to the fact that the business climate of the surrounding area is generally not corporate (mostly located in Chicago, north and west suburbs), and a lack of logistics companies in the immediate area to handle cargo. The report also mentions that most of the industrial base doesn't require an immediate cargo delivery program that air carriers offer.

The embedded presence of both O'Hare and Midway take most of the travellers to all other destinations. Although Gary has lots of potential (and the report mentions that -- close to highways, rail, room to grow, etc), what does it offer that Midway cannot?

Although there is potential for Delta or Midwest to offer service, since they don't have much Chicago market share (thoughts I had myself), perhaps the best scenario would be to charter a flight somewhere. Perhaps an airline could even make arrangements with the Gary Jet center to charter a small passenger plane instead of using something bigger. That would be a way to have passenger traffic, without the worry of it failing.

The Gary Jet center will also create a new building that will host a customs facility. That may change the game a little.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 7:21 AM

Quote:
http://www.southtownstar.com/news/22...0ohare.article
(similar article was also in Sun-Times somewhere)

Daley wants central rental-car site at O'Hare
May 13, 2010
BY FRAN SPIELMAN, Sun-Times Media

O'Hare International Airport passengers would pay up to $8 more to rent a car to bankroll a $393 million rental-car campus under a mayoral plan proposed Wednesday to ease congestion in the airport's terminal core.

A customer facility charge - patterned after the airline ticket tax - was authorized by the General Assembly 10 years ago at the behest of a rental car industry that has been clamoring for a central location at O'Hare.

At Wednesday's Chicago City Council meeting, Mayor Richard Daley moved to take advantage of the levy to finance a rental-car campus that would be served by an extension of the airport people-mover system. Daley said the central rental-car site would reduce bus traffic and serve as one-stop shopping for travelers.

"It would consolidate 'em all. Better for their business. Better for the environment," he said.

Aviation department counsel Jonathan Leach said rental-car operators need to be relocated to make way for new runways. Although the $8-per-transaction increase sounds steep, "it's consistent with what other airports are charging around the country" for similar facilities, Leach said.

The new campus would be in Parking Lot F at the southeast corner of Mannheim and Zemke Roads and would include a five-level parking structure shared by rental cars and public parking.

One way or another, traffic congestion in the airport's terminal core would be eased, city officials said.

If it's financially feasible to extend the people-mover, which ends at Parking Lot E, shuttle buses would be eliminated altogether, they said.
Quote:
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=38213

O'Hare rental-car project would come with $6 to $8 fee
By: John Pletz May 12, 2010
(Crain's) - The city of Chicago wants to build a nearly $400-million centralized rental-car facility at O'Hare International Airport to make way for the next round of runways in the airport expansion project.

The move would add a fee of $6 to $8 to car rentals, under a plan presented to the Chicago City Council on Wednesday. The proposal to centralize O'Hare's scattered rental-car facilities was reported by the Sun-Times on Wednesday.

The city hopes to select a design and engineering team later this year and begin construction in 2011, completing the project by 2013.

The idea to consolidate rental-car parking facilities into a garage follows a similar effort under way at Midway Airport. The city is expected to sell $150 million to $200 million in bonds later this year for projects including a Midway Airport parking garage.

Whoa - did people know that this was in the works?

If you've never seen one of these, I think they are really pretty awesome. Many growing hub airports have been building them in recent years - SFO, PHX, BWI, etc. All the ones I've seen are sexy multi-level facilities where a frequent, common shuttle drops you off, protected from the weather, in a grand hall where every car rental company has a counter. Then you can pick and choose and bargain as much as you want. (Yeah, the internet and smartphones make this less crucial, but it can still help a lot.) No more being hostage to 1 rental company if things don't work out after you take their shuttle to their lot. Then you go to your vehicle, without worrying about rain or snow or wind or darkness, where it's also easier to load up and inspect for dings. Dropping off is easy too -- no more hunting for roadway signs for the car company that you rented from; just drive back to the giant rental facility.

Over on the terminal side, there's only 1 frequent bus to wait for -- no need for visitors to be craning their necks in bitter cold weather for eons to see whether that green-colored shuttle finally rounding the corner is a green Dollar shuttle or a green National shuttle, etc. And of course, less traffic congestion at the terminals.

The proposed location has a fistful of great features: It's next to the Metra station. It's along Mannheim Road, for full-cloverleaf I-190 access. It's along a direct extension of the people-mover, which would also complete the link to Metra. It's next to a hotel campus. It's along Bessie Coleman Drive, where a unified, frequent shuttle bus could use the BRT-like dedicated lane now used by livery. And stretching things a bit, there might be enough critical mass somewhere in there to merit shuttle bus service involving CTA Blue Line River Road, the Rosemont complex, and/or the new casino and office complex.

I've been wanting ORD to enter the 21st century and get rid of its embarrassing crappy, weather-vulnerable surface rental lots for a long time. There are some negatives too, but this is a great surprise and overall I think this is a great leap for OMP.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation