HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Unless Cordova pulled the rug from under them!

There might be quite a bit of competition here I think
Even a single restaurant would be good for the new development. Perhaps Cordova convinced one of them to relocate to Cabellas Drive using he argument: 'The traffic will really bad to get there, but if you build on this side, you're easier to get to, and just as visible.'

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 11:05 PM

It is posted on the retail fb page that it was in today's t and t that a new fitness centre besides Mr lube on mountain rd. I wonder if this is a second fit4less

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 11:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTom View Post
It is posted on the retail fb page that it was in today's t and t that a new fitness centre besides Mr lube on mountain rd. I wonder if this is a second fit4less
Yes I saw that too. They're going to occupy the last vacancy in Hasting's Ridge.

Fit4Less is a good thought........

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Yes I saw that too. They're going to occupy the last vacancy in Hasting's Ridge.

Fit4Less is a good thought........
I heard from someone tonight that knows the owner of the plaza that it may be a Kickboxing gym. Also the Telegraph Journal had the following picture posting as the facility. I think the location it is too small for a Fit4Less.

Last edited by micks5477; Aug 20, 2016 at 12:12 AM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 2:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to the T&T, the new fitness centre will indeed concentrate on kick boxing and will be called 9 Round Fitness. It is a South Carolina based franchise, and will be a first in Canada east of Ontario. The owner has just moved to the city from Guelph ON.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 5:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Picture of the new walking bridge over Rabbit Brook on the Rabbit Brook Trail, just off of Carson Drive:

Again, that's a whopping huge bridge for such a little brook, but since it is designed for maintenance vehicles too, I can understand the over engineering.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. In fact, I am extremely impressed with how the city is rolling out improvements and expansions of our walking and biking trail system. Further inbound on the trail, along Kendra, they've installed benches, done some very nice landscaping and planted shrubbery. They are doing a bang-up job on this!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Picture of the new walking bridge over Rabbit Brook on the Rabbit Brook Trail, just off of Carson Drive:

Again, that's a whopping huge bridge for such a little brook, but since it is designed for maintenance vehicles too, I can understand the over engineering.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. In fact, I am extremely impressed with how the city is rolling out improvements and expansions of our walking and biking trail system. Further inbound on the trail, along Kendra, they've installed benches, done some very nice landscaping and planted shrubbery. They are doing a bang-up job on this!
Moncton has someone of the most and the best areas to go waking or hiking, not just in a park, but between places too. One of the reasons I love this city so much!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2016, 12:29 AM

Here is the link to 9 Round Fitness and more information about them.

https://www.9roundfitness.ca/fitness/Moncton-NB-x9223

Old Posted Aug 21, 2016, 1:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The mystery strip mall U/C ay the corner of Mountain and Gorge finally has a name.

There's a sign up stating that it will be called the Evergreen Plaza.

The sign shows five units, one of which is already leased (the one closest to the day care). No idea what this business will be however.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 1:36 AM

Quote:

The mystery strip mall U/C ay the corner of Mountain and Gorge finally has a name.

There's a sign up stating that it will be called the Evergreen Plaza.

The sign shows five units, one of which is already leased (the one closest to the day care). No idea what this business will be however.
It looks like on the sign that the left two units are leased. Possibly by the same business that will take up two spaces.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 2:34 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by micks5477 View Post
It looks like on the sign that the left two units are leased. Possibly by the same business that will take up two spaces.

I agree. In fact, I would say that the leased unit is 3X the size of the other four units (judging from the render on the sign).

I presume that the developer decided to build on the strength of having an anchor tenant, and with the hope that a strong anchor would make the remaining four units attractive to lease down the road.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 10:32 AM

So whatever Cordova has planned next to Cabela's, it now extends beyond the work they've been doing as the excavators were right up next to Mapleton yesterday.

I wonder if it's not that they have nothing planned but are just trying to make the lots more attractive to commercial developers? It's unfortunate because the lodge is new seen from the TCH which ruins its ambiance- it now looks like an ill-fitting log house in the middle of the city.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
I wonder if it's not that they have nothing planned but are just trying to make the lots more attractive to commercial developers?
I asked the gas station attendant at the Ultramar yesterday, and that's exactly what he said it was. They're just trying to make it look more attractive to potential developers.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 11:54 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

That's generally not been Cordova's style in the past, but they may have changed their approach since there has been so little movement on phase two of Mapleton Crossing.

1- The only thing their Facebook page says is "stay tuned"
2- I asked a checkout clerk at Cabela's what was up earlier this week and she said that nobody knew. She had heard rumours of a retail strip, a restaurant or "nothing"

So, "nothing" it may be........

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 11:44 PM

Acadian Poutine is now open on Horseman Road in MID.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 2:45 AM

The Codiac Transpo pickup/drop zone on the South/East side of Plaza Blvd appears 60% complete and it looks decent. It will probably look a lot better once the weather shelters and lighting is installed.

They also appear to be working on a mirror image of this zone on the flip side of North/West (Walmart side). This will again free up the whole 4 lane to traffic once again.

I can only assume a well lite cross walk to finished this project off.

The side walk on the South/East side from Mt-Rd to Mapleton Rd also appears complete.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
The Codiac Transpo pickup/drop zone on the South/East side of Plaza Blvd appears 60% complete and it looks decent. It will probably look a lot better once the weather shelters and lighting is installed.

They also appear to be working on a mirror image of this zone on the flip side of North/West (Walmart side). This will again free up the whole 4 lane to traffic once again.

I can only assume a well lite cross walk to finished this project off.

The side walk on the South/East side from Mt-Rd to Mapleton Rd also appears complete.
Bus Drivers that I talked to are saying they do hope so about the proper crosswalk but aren't holding there breath, since they have been waiting for new buses for a while, and these new buses seem to never have been ordered, and from what they where told it will be a mirrored stop on both sides so buses like the Red line would stay on the Best Buy side, and green line would stop on the Walmart Side. Still some wonder about buses like 70/71 Since it's the same bus but goes both directions some Drivers also talked about the possibility that they would be doing that on Main Street as well so Green line would stop at 1111 Main street while the Blue line would be on the other side at 1100 Main Street. It seems to be an attempt to keep buses going, and trying to avoid buses causing mass traffic back ups specially at rush hour.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 2:15 PM

The crosswalk would be City of Moncton Roads & Transportation's responsibility and not Codiac Transpo, even though they are both under the city grand ownership. Budget to one and budget for the other?

For public safety, I'm going to guess this would be priority, especially in this very high traffic area. And now that the days are getting shorter, we are just a few months away from 4:30/5:00pm night time.

Umm, maybe an overhead pedestrian crosswalk in the year 2030! Or even better, maybe they saved the old overhead pedestrian crosswalk from Highfield Square to Dominion Building.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 9:32 PM

There is an article in the T&T about Ecole Le Sommet being a school for 650, and they had 720 show up they had to add 3 portables, and Northrop Frye School has had to add 6. It seems when they built the schools no more then 6 years ago they never counted on population inflation. These 2 new schools where built to manage the students better, and avoid the need for portables. On the plus side there attached to the school, and from the perspective of students, and teachers you can't tell there portables from the inside.

This makes me both laugh, and cry at the same time.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 9:35 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Build it for 1000 and have 720 show up and you get criticized.

It's tough to plan for, particularly when you have older neighborhoods that have schools well below capacity like EC downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces