HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYSTHELIMIT View Post
Welcome aboard bomberjet, and the timeline to when grade separation, is anywhere between 5-150 yrs give or take.
Thanks! I'm not holding my breath either.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 5:49 PM

I believe that the Subway at Dominion Center at Main/ Marion/St. Mary's RD is also 24 hours.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I believe that the Subway at Dominion Center at Main/ Marion/St. Mary's RD is also 24 hours.
Correct

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
why do we care about chains so much what about small buisness sigh
As long as they are not corporate owned stores I would consider them small business as its your money on the line the same if you went on your own.

Probably a better chance of making the two year success mark if you have a major franchise supporting you than if you have to figure out how to do things.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 9:00 PM

So I'm taking the wife out to dinner tonight and it's my pick. Narrowed it to three options:
- Don Pedro's in the Exchange. The reviews are poor, but I've been there and liked both the food and the ambience.
-Siam Thai on St. Anne's. Tempting.
-The Indian place near the Convention Centre. This is my top pick but my wife isn't crazy about ethnic food.
Any thoughts? Especially No. 3?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 9:04 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

theres a really good thia place on south osborn
https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=winnip...250.14,,0,0.87
http://www.sawatdeethai.ca/

would be my suggestion.

don pedros is ok its bar food in my opinion.
siam not familiar with
the indian place by the convention center would be ok

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 1:32 AM

Tried dinner at the new BP on Henderson. Got there at 5pm and it was full already. Ended up with one of the last tables in the lounge and the people kept coming.

Service was a little spotty but the food was good when it did arrive. There were people lined up out the door when I left. I wonder how long it will take the newness to wear off and it will be like the rest of the BP's with short wait times.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The SHED is easy to miss right now. It is a bunch of surface lots with proposed project, a renovation of a long vacant building that just completed and a project under construction that still seems to be in the demo/preparation phase. If you aren't a development nerd in the know it looks pretty much the same as five years ago.

There also is not a lot existing space available for new entrants to the SHED right now without net new construction. Something that actually might hurt the SHED some long term is the Credit Union Central fortress on Donald.
Yeah, you're definitely right about that. My co-workers don't really understand what the SHED is, let alone where it is, or what is being planned for it. The re-opening renovated Met is a great piece to build on, and we're patiently watching the Centrepoint project come together. The MPI lots should have some ground-level retail 'grab and go' food opportunities -- I also wonder if City Place may one day encourage their food court to stay open a little later on game days (when we get the NHL back).

Hopefully as the SHED develops out, there will be interest and investment in surrounding blocks. If we're lucky, the credit union building shouldn't be too big of a deal in the end.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 12:22 AM
I am a typical

Is a new Boston Pizza in a city that already has, like, a dozen of them, really that big a deal?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Is a new Boston Pizza in a city that already has, like, a dozen of them, really that big a deal?
It is when it opens in a highly under serviced area like the north-east region.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 1:35 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
It is when it opens in a highly under serviced area like the north-east region.
"Highly under serviced" is quite an understatement!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 1:47 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
"Highly under serviced" is quite an understatement!
very much so

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 2:13 AM

I would think that 2 more Boston Pizza's would probably saturate the city for their brand. One in the Sage Creek area and one in the Bridgewater Forest area. Both those areas don't really have any place close to eat out at as far as I know.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 4:47 PM

Quote:
I would think that 2 more Boston Pizza's would probably saturate the city for their brand. One in the Sage Creek area and one in the Bridgewater Forest area. Both those areas don't really have any place close to eat out at as far as I know.
It pains me greatly to say it but Westport Festival is begging for a Boston Pizza as well since it is a good trek west of the Portage and Morary location.

Far east Transconna would also seem to have potentinal for a location too but to my knowledge there is not really a good established area for them to open in.

Also St Boniface would seem to fit their model for opening locations as a neighbourhood gathering spot. Again no solid thought on a location although something close the the hospital would likely work best.

Overall I think you could plan for one Boston Pizza to about every two-three McDonalds or Tim Hortons.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 6:35 PM

Quote:
It pains me greatly to say it but Westport Festival is begging for a Boston Pizza as well since it is a good trek west of the Portage and Morary location.

Far east Transconna would also seem to have potentinal for a location too but to my knowledge there is not really a good established area for them to open in.

Also St Boniface would seem to fit their model for opening locations as a neighbourhood gathering spot. Again no solid thought on a location although something close the the hospital would likely work best.

Overall I think you could plan for one Boston Pizza to about every two-three McDonalds or Tim Hortons.
I live in St.B and I agree one would do well. We do have Santa Lucia lounge, The Wood, Garage on provencher though which are all fairly good places.

I'm out at "mts iceplex" which is next door to "westport festival" many weekends for kids hockey stuff and many times, wish there was a restaurant closer by. lots of people visiting the car dealers, etc

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
I live in St.B and I agree one would do well. We do have Santa Lucia lounge, The Wood, Garage on provencher though which are all fairly good places.

I'm out at "mts iceplex" which is next door to "westport festival" many weekends for kids hockey stuff and many times, wish there was a restaurant closer by. lots of people visiting the car dealers, etc
Hence the motivation for the Westport Project. Restaurants, hotels, I almost think the big-box retail is secondary to the hospitality opportunities.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Hence the motivation for the Westport Project. Restaurants, hotels, I almost think the big-box retail is secondary to the hospitality opportunities.
I think Wesport Festival is driven in this order:

1 - Hotels
2 - Resturants
3 - Gas Station
4 - Movie Theater
5 - Big Box Retail

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 11:21 PM

I can see a Boston Pizza in Westport Festival. From what i have heard from a few people over the years, at least one of the Shindleman family is an investor in the Winnipeg, Portage, Selkirk and Stenbach operations of Boston Pizza.

As Westport is one of the Shindico projects there is a good chance they will have a store there at some point.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 11:25 PM

CorryB was suggesting east Transcona as a location and the only place I could think of was if they could get into the mall on Kildare next to Safeway near the Canterbury Park development.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 1:38 AM

Quote:
CorryB was suggesting east Transcona as a location and the only place I could think of was if they could get into the mall on Kildare next to Safeway near the Canterbury Park development.
The Kildare Safeway is the exact location I had in mind when making that comment but I know there is a serve lack of retail space in that part of town. Again it is a under serviced established residential neighborhood.

Another possibility would seem to be a Boston Pizza as part of the U of M gold course development just south of the stadium. Campus + stadium events seems like a huge win.

On that topic, I thought I heard there was a Moxie's style restaurant space within Investor's Group Field yet I have not heard an official announcement on if that is true or who secured the space. My thinking there, though highly unconfirmed, is a Hooters relocation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan