HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labtec View Post
Would be nice if a cap goes over the highway and you have more skyscrapers there and along the Georgia Tech/Coca Cola HQ side.
There is almost nowhere near the Connector since the GA Tech campus runs from the curve to 10th heading north and Warner campus about ½ from 10th to 14th. There is a lot on 14th and Techwood and maybe one more lot just north of Warner campus next to a hotel. But that is about it that I can think of.

And the cap is only supposed to be from North to 10th which is ALL Georgia Tech.

EDIT: While as a resident and runner I would LOVE the cap and it would add a HUGE quality of life for me but....realistically it is probably in the Opus 2 likelihood of ever making it to fruition. And if it does that is probably 15 years at best for completion.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2022, 3:42 PM

Bucket List of the DAY.

Crossed every bridge from top of Connector to Andrew Young International.

And a real pic.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2022, 9:04 PM

Old Posted Apr 5, 2022, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
There is almost nowhere near the Connector since the GA Tech campus runs from the curve to 10th heading north and Warner campus about ½ from 10th to 14th. There is a lot on 14th and Techwood and maybe one more lot just north of Warner campus next to a hotel. But that is about it that I can think of.

And the cap is only supposed to be from North to 10th which is ALL Georgia Tech.

EDIT: While as a resident and runner I would LOVE the cap and it would add a HUGE quality of life for me but....realistically it is probably in the Opus 2 likelihood of ever making it to fruition. And if it does that is probably 15 years at best for completion.
I am talking about this cap:

Combined with "The Stitch"

Old Posted Apr 6, 2022, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labtec View Post
I am talking about this cap:

Again, The Cap is planned to cover the 10 blocks from 10th St. to North Ave. [North could be called 1st St. and Ponce could be called 2ed St.]. Red line added to show the proposed Cap coverage. That is 100% Ga Tech campus on the west side (and even 3 blocks on the east side). The 2 red arrows show the only available lots on the west side.

Last edited by Julien; Apr 6, 2022 at 12:05 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2022, 1:03 PM

Quote:
That is 100% Ga Tech campus on the west side
You better believe that those fraternity and sorority houses would suddenly relocate if this cap were built. I also think Home Park would start getting development pressure. Home Park and the Ponce/North Ave corridor will start receiving development pressure as midtown and downtown get built out. I gather zoning would have to change. Too bad we don't have a transit corridor connecting White Provisions to Ponce City Market via 10th street and North Ave. That would ultimately allow the city to expand east to west.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2022, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
You better believe that those fraternity and sorority houses would suddenly relocate if this cap were built. I also think Home Park would start getting development pressure. Home Park and the Ponce/North Ave corridor will start receiving development pressure as midtown and downtown get built out. I gather zoning would have to change. Too bad we don't have a transit corridor connecting White Provisions to Ponce City Market via 10th street and North Ave. That would ultimately allow the city to expand east to west.
Don’t believe Tech would ever allow commercial Devlopment on the original/main campus. It is too historic and sacred. They bought the land in Midtown to do that and still have a couple of lots there that can be developed (also have some on Merretta St and that "strange" development east of Northside and south of I75).…BUT assuming they did allow it there is only a small area that could be redeveloped. It would be between 6th St and probably some north of Bobby Dodd Way. And this would ONLY allow 1 to 1½ block depth. This also doesn’t account where they could move them to. Just don’t see it happening.

Home Park is an enigma. Most see it is just an older lower middle class neighborhood of small homes. However there are many homes under construction and new homes built. There are a couple of apartment buildings and churches. It is more than it seems at first glance. Best case it will take a couple of decades to buy out or eminent domain.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2022, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Don’t believe Tech would ever allow commercial Devlopment on the original/main campus. It is too historic and sacred.
I agree that commercial development would not occur where the frat houses are, however, I would think institutional buildings would be put there. Out of curiosity, I went on Fulton GIS, and it appears the majority of those parcels are owned by the respective organizations who reside on the property. The parcels with a red outline are the ones owned by the Georgia Regents. I figured GT would have leased all of those parcels.

Can't get inline picture to work, so here is the link:
http://splty.com/commercial/GTland.jpg

Last edited by montydawg; Apr 6, 2022 at 7:16 PM. Reason: pic does not work

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 8:24 PM

Atlanta's 2ed skyscraper (old definition) The Flatiron and built in 1897 a full 5 years before the MUCH more famous NY building. It is a real beauty/treasure and admire every time a run by it (probably have 50 or more pics of it).

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Atlanta's 2ed skyscraper (old definition) The Flatiron and built in 1897 a full 5 years before the MUCH more famous NY building. It is a real beauty/treasure and admire every time a run by it (probably have 50 or more pics of it).

Thank God we kept this Jewel...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Thank God we kept this Jewel...
Can you imagine how infeasible it would be to build and develop something on this lot today, other than a public park or billboard? I doubt any developer would be interested even if it were a tear down

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 1:50 PM

Flatiron

That Flatiron building has experienced many sunrises & sunsets in U.S. history...

Spanish American War
Electrification
Panama Canal
Wright Brothers First Flight
Henry Ford’s Model T Production
First Trans-Atlantic Flight
Golden Age of Hollywood
WW I
Great Depression
Pearl Harbor
WW II
NATO Established
Korean War
Polio Vaccine
Television
Disney Land Opens
Sputnik Launch
Moon Landing
Cold War
Beatles
Civil Rights
Vietnam War
Space Shuttle
The Computer
End of the Cold War

(Not a Complete list of U.S. History)

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 10:31 AM
Keith C.

Sunset on Roswell Rd in Sandy Springs/Buckhead Atlanta

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 5:10 PM

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Awesome picture, too bad you can't see that skyline from the park. There's one lookout spot where you can see some of it, but not all of it like that.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 9:20 PM

If the awkward Olympic torch tower in Midtown (privately owned as far as I know) were relocated on top of a hill here instead of along the connector, it might actually get some use. *half-joking

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiFamilyFriendly View Post
If the awkward Olympic torch tower in Midtown (privately owned as far as I know) were relocated on top of a hill here instead of along the connector, it might actually get some use. *half-joking
Here it is about 3 months ago. Also if they had just pulled back a little or panned a little to the north they could have included all of north midtown and Atlantic Station and made it more complete.

Just to add the area around the torch (3ed St) and the land it sits on are ripe/overdue for developing.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 11:22 PM

Westside Park Phase 2 includes a 'grand overlook' with a nice observation tower.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=click

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiFamilyFriendly View Post
That’s actually a really interesting take. I support it.

Also, the kids playground is an absolute joke. Hardly anything for young kids.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 5:49 PM

IMO the design of the park leaves a lot to be desired... Feels like a missed opportunity to do something truly special for the city. Don't get me wrong, the acreage alone is something to be celebrated and has added a ton of park space in an area that did not have much, but this first phase is very underwhelming.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta