HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 9:06 PM

Lake Louise approved area plans (all individual projects still subject to further approvals)

from: http://imgur.com/a/AQQ7M & http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/ban...akelouise.aspx

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 6:44 PM

So what are the chances of all this actually happening? A couple new lifts from the base on the front side, and access to those bowls on the back would be awesome!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 4:14 AM
Beer me Captain

So I finally made it to Whistler today - without any benchmark it was a pretty good day. Locals I spoke to said it was the "best conditions at this time of the year in a long time". Lots of groomed runs and loose snow. Even some powder in the trees on Blackcomb. Unfortunately the wind meant that the alpine lifts were closed, so the back bowls weren't open

A question for locals - I arrived at 845 and parked in the overheight at Creekside - it was mainly empty and still seemed like it at 4. On the weekends, I assume that these lots do fill up so does anyone have any idea when?? 830? 9? 10?

thx in advance

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
A question for locals - I arrived at 845 and parked in the overheight at Creekside - it was mainly empty and still seemed like it at 4. On the weekends, I assume that these lots do fill up so does anyone have any idea when?? 830? 9? 10?
Not sure, as I am always there before the first lifts start running, but I would think they fill up perhaps an hour after the resort opens.

I have been to Whistler three times this season and four more days to go more towards sprint. Last time was this past saturday and conditions were excellent. Not much new snow, so hard packed conditions, but the cold weather kept crowds out of the runds. Beautiful sunshine throughout the day.

For a few weeks now that have had al of their 200 runs open and daily they groom up to 100 runs so there is a lot to explore and enjoy.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:09 PM

How difficult is it to get a hotel room during the winter season in Whislter? I got a taste of that hill mountain biking this summer, now want to try it on my board!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 5:40 PM

Looks like a storm should dump quite a bit of snow on the Rockies this weekend, anyone going out?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 6:59 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Looks like a storm should dump quite a bit of snow on the Rockies this weekend, anyone going out?
Heading to Fernie for three days. Likely will only ski two.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 7:35 PM

Jealous, Fernie is my favourite hill. I'll be in Castle, should be as good of snow with far less people, just hope it's not windy, their chairs are a bit sketchy when it's really windy lol.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Heading to Fernie for three days. Likely will only ski two.
Fernie's forecast looks pretty awesome right now, 26cm overnight Sunday (will change I'm sure). Castle has 49cm forecast sunday night! need to call in sick...
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts...esort/6day/mid

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 6:01 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Good to hear - I was back in Calgary over the past 2 weekends and skied Sunshine thrice and tried Norquay once. Sunshine was ok - but without DD, the Chutes or WW it gets old fast ... and we bailed on Norquay since the fun runs off NA chair were bare to say the least.

They need a big time puke!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 6:03 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
How difficult is it to get a hotel room during the winter season in Whislter? I got a taste of that hill mountain biking this summer, now want to try it on my board!
So far this year I've used Air BnB and Booking.com and had ok selection with both. BTW, I've stayed at Creekside as I find it better for skiing (faster up the hill, less crowds) but nightlife is non-existent. Heading back up this weekend and staying Saturday night in the Village - but at a friends so no idea what it's like to book at short notice.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
So far this year I've used Air BnB and Booking.com and had ok selection with both. BTW, I've stayed at Creekside as I find it better for skiing (faster up the hill, less crowds) but nightlife is non-existent. Heading back up this weekend and staying Saturday night in the Village - but at a friends so no idea what it's like to book at short notice.
There are shuttles between Creekside and the Village aren't there?

Castle Mountain has 80cm forecast between this afternoon and Monday morning, shaping up to be a pretty damn good weekend!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 5:55 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Went to Fernie on Thursday: probably the worst conditions of my life. Hard pack and ice everywhere.

Decided to skip Friday and went fat-biking instead.

Saturday- 16cm overnight. Amazing powder all around, but crusty underneath. It was like boarding on some of the best snow that was on top of some of the worst. Lucked out and got to the top of White Pass chair just as they opened Currie Bowl. Got fresh tracks all the way down. It was incredible. Did 13 runs all day

Sunday- 19cm overnight. Absolutely epic. Took us 20 min just to get a friends car out of the driveway. Got on the lift at 9:30. And somehow, after two laps on White Pass, as I was about to get off the lift, I looked over to the patroller's hut, saw the patroller look to the lift hut and give a nod. Oh god, they are opening Currie! Got first tracks going down Currie Powder. Best run of my life.

Got out just in time. Left at 2:00 and had to go via Invermere.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 6:41 PM

Castle was absolutely insane, 75cm in the 48 hours I was there, knee to waist deep powder in places. Lots of rocks underneath though, so my board got a few new gouges in the base. Yesterday was a major let down though, all the traffic headed to Fernie ended up at Castle due to the road closures, and Castle doesn't have the infrastructure for all the people, was 10x busier than I've ever seen it, at least an hour line at the blue chair. Got 4 runs in then went to pack up and check out and ended up digging out cars till about 2 lol. Total white out on the way home too, glad I left in daylight. Might do a quick trip out to Fernie this weekend, know of some places where there will be some nice stashes of pow left from the storm.

Anyone who is in the Crowsnest / South Kootenay area today will probably have some of the very best snow ever!
This was what cars in the parking lot looked like as of about 2PM yesterday.

Last edited by Calgarian; Feb 6, 2017 at 9:41 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 5:02 AM

Looks nice! I will be heading to Revelstoke, Kicking Horse, Kimberly and Fernie this Friday for whole next week. With huge dumps of snow falling in BC right now, conditions should be excellent.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Looks nice! I will be heading to Revelstoke, Kicking Horse, Kimberly and Fernie this Friday for whole next week. With huge dumps of snow falling in BC right now, conditions should be excellent.
How did you make out? heard Fernie was brutal on saturday, pure ice.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
How did you make out? heard Fernie was brutal on saturday, pure ice.
Thanks for asking! We just wrapped up our last 6th ski day and it has been wonderful!

Revelstoke - Feb 11 - We only made it to ski for half a day, but conditions were mostly sunny and Revelstoke had just received more snow. I really liked the snow there and look forward to returning another time.

Kicking Horse - Feb 12-13 - Two days of skiing were amazing. The weather really cooperated and skies were mostly sunny and snow was nice packed powder especially at the top. The views from the summit are absolutely amazing. The only nitpicking I have is that Kicking Horse has lots of steep bowls that are not really my cup of tea, so groomed runs are not as plenty.

Fernie - Feb 15 - Cloudy and windy weather made for a very flat light and the Peak Chair was not operational. I wasn't prepared for how steep runs at Fernie are, but I certainly enjoyed them. I look forward to give the place another try with better conditions.

Kimberly - Feb 16-17 - On the first day it was raining at the bottom for the whole day, which was pretty miserable. At the top it was snowing and there was some 10cm of new snow on the runs, making for a nice fresh track skiing. Unfortunately the snow was the slowest I have ever encountered and we had to work to make it through those patches. On the second day the weather was sunny and conditions very superb. A bit icy towards the bottom, but amazing last day of skiing!

Tomorrow we will be heading back towards Vancouver. Our one week at The Rockies was amazing and Albertans should be happy to live close to so many great ski resorts. Also, RCR Card is amazing and made skiing very inexpensive added with -50% on BC Family Day.

Next time we are in the area, we shall try the Banff resorts.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 11:41 PM

^ Nice! Jealous as Kicking Horse is amazing with good snow and my last day there was mediocre. They could use a more comprehensive upper mountain lift system (Revy works better when the weather is awful at the bottom).

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 12:52 AM
Beer me Captain

Awesome trip Klazu - yes people in Calgary have access to some nice mountains. Not sure what the conditions were like at Panorama, but next time you're in the hood, you should check it out. When the snow is good, the hill can be real fun, but since it's in a snow shadow, the snow needs to be good or better. And yes, the RCR card is sweet!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 5:36 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Thanks for asking! We just wrapped up our last 6th ski day and it has been wonderful!

Revelstoke - Feb 11 - We only made it to ski for half a day, but conditions were mostly sunny and Revelstoke had just received more snow. I really liked the snow there and look forward to returning another time.

Kicking Horse - Feb 12-13 - Two days of skiing were amazing. The weather really cooperated and skies were mostly sunny and snow was nice packed powder especially at the top. The views from the summit are absolutely amazing. The only nitpicking I have is that Kicking Horse has lots of steep bowls that are not really my cup of tea, so groomed runs are not as plenty.

Fernie - Feb 15 - Cloudy and windy weather made for a very flat light and the Peak Chair was not operational. I wasn't prepared for how steep runs at Fernie are, but I certainly enjoyed them. I look forward to give the place another try with better conditions.

Kimberly - Feb 16-17 - On the first day it was raining at the bottom for the whole day, which was pretty miserable. At the top it was snowing and there was some 10cm of new snow on the runs, making for a nice fresh track skiing. Unfortunately the snow was the slowest I have ever encountered and we had to work to make it through those patches. On the second day the weather was sunny and conditions very superb. A bit icy towards the bottom, but amazing last day of skiing!

Tomorrow we will be heading back towards Vancouver. Our one week at The Rockies was amazing and Albertans should be happy to live close to so many great ski resorts. Also, RCR Card is amazing and made skiing very inexpensive added with -50% on BC Family Day.

Next time we are in the area, we shall try the Banff resorts.
I am the opposite in terms of my preferences. I love steep bowls, lots of snow and trees. Other than cliffs, I will board pretty much any terrain. I can never get tired of trees. Just shows that everyone has their own preferences, and ski hills have to accommodate all types of skiers. I am glad you had a good time!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia