HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 2:31 AM

The Broadmoor rezoning case has been postponed again - to March 27. But this time it's not for further traffic analysis. It's so staff can finalize their recommendation. Maybe April it is.

Quote:
The staff is asking for this postponement because the staff needs additional time to finalize our recommendation for this case.
http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=294421

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 2:44 AM

Here's a link from the Planning Commission website to the upzoning plan for North Burnet Gateway that Novacek posted about. The Planning Commission votes on it next week, and it goes to City Council.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=294410

IBM Bldg. 45 which is their last building on the Domain site has a target on it.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 10:46 PM

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 10:56 PM
クラブトクヨ

Nice update!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 11:17 PM

Took off too far north and was having video issues but I really wanted to get up to the Domain tower. I am loving that design on the Braker side.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverranchdrone View Post
Took off too far north and was having video issues but I really wanted to get up to the Domain tower. I am loving that design on the Braker side.
Great pictures! One of the best places to launch your drone to fly the Domain is the below spot next to Dillards. Big wide open green space with soft grass that is not a public park, has no traffic, has no magnetic interference and nobody bothers you if you go in the morning before it starts getting crowded with shoppers.

Here's the location: https://www.google.com/maps/place/30%C2%B023'36.2%22N+97%C2%B043'36.2%22W/@30.3933886,-97.7289207,977m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d30.393384!4d-97.726732?hl=en

Be careful how far you fly over the JJ Pickle site behind you though - it has some radio towers and is also restricted airspace because a small nuclear reactor is housed there for the UT Nuclear & Radiation Engineering program. If you have a DJI product, the software will stop it from flying over certain buildings at Pickle.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 9:57 PM

It looks like the Broadmoor rezoning vote at the Planning Commission is finally going to happen this time (03/26). Staff recommends approval for the changes that include 360' buildings.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=295274

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
It looks like the Broadmoor rezoning vote at the Planning Commission is finally going to happen this time (03/26). Staff recommends approval for the changes that include 360' buildings.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=295274
<crosses fingers>

Still contingent on actually relocating the station, it seems. Hopefully this will incentivize them enough to pay for it.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
<crosses fingers>

Still contingent on actually relocating the station, it seems. Hopefully this will incentivize them enough to pay for it.
Hmm. The numbers from the TIA are way smaller than what we've previously heard. ?

In fact, I'm plum confused. Existing zoning seems like it would be enough for that level of redeveopment?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 9:09 PM

Developer to pay 2 million toward 3.5 million worth of improvements to the corridor. Developer to pay 1 million for improvements to roads adjacent to the lot.

Nice.

This does make it awkward for the Soccer stadium in the train station is moved if they were counting on the Kramer station and didn't want to pay to move the station a block south to their lot. I wonder if Cap Metro would be willing to keep the Kramer station where it is and add Broadmore if they can't get 15 million from PSV for a station at the McKayla lot.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 11:48 PM
クラブトクヨ

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 5:08 AM
Meh

I've started noticing the Domain "skyline" popping up from a few spots. Some of the places I had assumed I'd one day be able to see the Domain from such as from Saint Ed's and the South Austin Hospital have now become obscured because of the west side of downtown filling in. I did notice a few of the buildings in the Domain a few days ago from along 360 between Lamar and Mopac as you cross Barton Creek. From that spot you can see The Independent, The Austonian, 360, Frost and the Fairmont's spire, but I also noticed off to the left through the canyon I could see a couple of the Domain buildings sticking up. The Domain is 12 miles from that location.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 1:13 PM

The Planning Commission passed the Broadmoor rezoning on consent.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I've started noticing the Domain "skyline" popping up from a few spots. Some of the places I had assumed I'd one day be able to see the Domain from such as from Saint Ed's and the South Austin Hospital have now become obscured because of the west side of downtown filling in. I did notice a few of the buildings in the Domain a few days ago from along 360 between Lamar and Mopac as you cross Barton Creek. From that spot you can see The Independent, The Austonian, 360, Frost and the Fairmont's spire, but I also noticed off to the left through the canyon I could see a couple of the Domain buildings sticking up. The Domain is 12 miles from that location.
I'm looking forward to the last few projects coming to fruition. Those seem like they'll add more visual support to Domain Tower, which is really the only building you can see consistently from all vantage points.

Last edited by We vs us; Mar 28, 2018 at 1:48 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Apparently so did the upzone (up to 308 feet with bonuses) to that NBG section below the Domain.

https://austintx.swagit.com/play/03272018-1539

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 3:00 PM

Quote:
I used to always think of the central Austin core as the area bounded between Mopac/I35 and Ben White/183. With the Broadmoor and soccer stadium now being added to the Domain area, I'm now starting to think that Ben White/183 should now be Ben White/Parmer Ln.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 3:02 PM

Quote:
To the council! Let’s see if 1 person complains about the rezone and Leslie Pool tries to torpedo the entire thing.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
I used to always think of the central Austin core as the area bounded between Mopac/I35 and Ben White/183. With the Broadmoor and soccer stadium now being added to the Domain area, I'm now starting to think that Ben White/183 should now be Ben White/Parmer Ln.
Similarly, I always thought the "Domain is Austin's second downtown" bit was a more than a little oversold. But now I'm starting to think otherwise. Give it 10 years and that area is going to be nuts.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 4:38 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Similarly, I always thought the "Domain is Austin's second downtown" bit was a more than a little oversold. But now I'm starting to think otherwise. Give it 10 years and that area is going to be nuts.
They need to work on the connectivity though. The best way to slay urbanity is by isolating it. Rail lines and bus routes, of course, but maybe even more surprisingly important, a street grid that is connected to the rest of the city.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
They need to work on the connectivity though. The best way to slay urbanity is by isolating it. Rail lines and bus routes, of course, but maybe even more surprisingly important, a street grid that is connected to the rest of the city.
TxDot probably killed that ship for the foreseeable future (with huge, hulking, 183 viaducts).

I've thought that you might be able to realign Metric (which is the eastern boundary of NBG) where it hits 183, and connect through to Wooten (you'd need to redevelop that commercial/industrial area as well).

So with that limit, improving transit/bike/pedestrian connectivity with the area south of 183 is probably where you're at. There's definitely more that can be done in regards to that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin