HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 8, 2023, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Ha no they do not. In January we're usually -2C during the day and -5C overnight. Eastern Canada overnight lows are way colder than that and reach temps below -20C which sometimes doesn't happen here all year.
-20 overnight lows in southwestern Ontario aren't exactly normal here either. They do typically happen a couple nights a year, but the typical daily high for most of the winter in Hamilton is between -2 and +3 or so with overnight lows typically not below -10. Anything outside of that range is "unusually cold or hot".

The -20 days are what you see in the prairies, Northern Ontario, Quebec, and some parts of the Maritimes, but Southern Ontario, especially the "sunbelt" (lol) parts of Southern Ontario like Niagara, Toronto, and Windsor, see relatively moderate temperatures. I wouldn't be surprised to see if most of Toronto and Niagara see daily average highs go above freezing in January once 1991-2020 normals are finally updated. I know St. Catherines is already there from the 1981-2010 normals.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2023, 3:22 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
-20 overnight lows in southwestern Ontario aren't exactly normal here either. They do typically happen a couple nights a year, but the typical daily high for most of the winter in Hamilton is between -2 and +3 or so with overnight lows typically not below -10. Anything outside of that range is "unusually cold or hot".

The -20 days are what you see in the prairies, Northern Ontario, Quebec, and some parts of the Maritimes, but Southern Ontario, especially the "sunbelt" (lol) parts of Southern Ontario like Niagara, Toronto, and Windsor, see very moderate temperatures. I wouldn't be surprised to see if most of Toronto and Niagara see daily average highs go above freezing in January one 1991-2020 normals are finally updated.
Yea same in NS. It's always possible to get cold snaps where it drops to -20 but not very often. I believe we got a couple days last winter where it dropped pretty low overnight but there are also years when we don't.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2023, 3:52 PM

Of course it’s warmer on the west coast—the mean January temperature in Vancouver this year was 5.4, compared to -0.9 in Toronto and -0.4 in Halifax.

But these visions of eastern cities gripped in snow and ice are based on outlier weather events and storms. As someone said above, in Toronto, it doesn’t even reach -20 every year; when it does it’s only once or twice. Same here in Halifax—in the last four years it’s been below -20 only three times, for a few hours in the middle of the night. The average January high this year wasn’t even below freezing.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2023, 9:42 PM
Community Guy

Canmore's 'beach' aka Quarry Lake. A wee bit fresh, but mineral rich!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 7:59 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
But these visions of eastern cities gripped in snow and ice are based on outlier weather events and storms. As someone said above, in Toronto, it doesn’t even reach -20 every year; when it does it’s only once or twice. Same here in Halifax—in the last four years it’s been below -20 only three times, for a few hours in the middle of the night. The average January high this year wasn’t even below freezing.
And I think that's -20 at the airport, which in Halifax is at ~150 km elevation ~30 km inland outside of the developed area while in Vancouver it's at sea level by the water and surrounded by city. I think the dockyard station has gone below -20 only for a few hours in total since data reporting began around 2004. In the city the mean high temperatures are above freezing year-round and precipitation is majority rain year-round.

Architype's comment about waves is something I hadn't really thought about but it factors in. There is a raw natural element to Atlantic beaches that you don't really see in Ontario or even around Vancouver. You do see it on the west coast of Vancouver Island (like around Tofino) or Hawaii which have areas exposed to the open Pacific. This ties in with the wider point that different areas have different strengths and it is very easy to be biased in how you compare them, so no surprise the BC people say BC is best and the ON people say ON is best. For me, it's no contest that I'd pick the rugged private cooler beach spot in 20 degree weather to the 30+ beach town.

Water temperature is pretty localized so you will find one area can be shallow and warm while another that is deeper and more open is much colder.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
And I think that's -20 at the airport, which in Halifax is at ~150 km elevation ~30 km inland outside of the developed area while in Vancouver it's at sea level by the water and surrounded by city. I think the dockyard station has gone below -20 only for a few hours in total since data reporting began around 2004. In the city the mean high temperatures are above freezing year-round and precipitation is majority rain year-round.

Architype's comment about waves is something I hadn't really thought about but it factors in. There is a raw natural element to Atlantic beaches that you don't really see in Ontario or even around Vancouver. You do see it on the west coast of Vancouver Island (like around Tofino) or Hawaii which have areas exposed to the open Pacific. This ties in with the wider point that different areas have different strengths and it is very easy to be biased in how you compare them, so no surprise the BC people say BC is best and the ON people say ON is best. For me, it's no contest that I'd pick the rugged private cooler beach spot in 20 degree weather to the 30+ beach town.

Water temperature is pretty localized so you will find one area can be shallow and warm while another that is deeper and more open is much colder.
Lake Superior has pretty good sized waves at times and its water temperature varies a lot as it can be swimmable in a number of its bays but is very cold in most parts.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 9:16 AM

He's probably underestimating the Great Lakes as "lakes".

Sorry if this is massive (the photo, not the wave . It's hard to tell on a phone sometimes)

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post

Sorry if this is massive (the photo, not the wave . It's hard to tell on a phone sometimes)
In fairness that appears to be during a big storm. As a rule ocean-facing beaches, on whichever coast, definitely have more dramatic conditions (and more surf) than, say, the Toronto Island beaches.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 2:51 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
In fairness that appears to be during a big storm. As a rule ocean-facing beaches, on whichever coast, definitely have more dramatic conditions (and more surf) than, say, the Toronto Island beaches.
The Toronto Islands can get pretty big waves if it's windy enough:

pic - me.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 1:30 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I have been to all far-flung parts of Ontario like Brampton and Newmarket, and no lake like that exists.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 3:10 AM

Like the pics I posted the past couple weeks of water outletting into the lake at beaches, here is a fourth beach with one. This time it was Balm Beach. I've always wondered if fish ever try to go up and spawn in these things like steelhead (spawning rainbow trout) in April or bass in June or Salmon in September. The last two I can't imagine so given the water levels would be low at that those times of the year but in April there would still be snow melt driven water levels. Of course, I don't go around to beaches or up north in April. I have however seen trout in May go up something like this in Oakville and Mississauga. Just not at beaches.

And the next morning while dropping my daugther off at camp, a car with a Balm Beach licence plate. Reminds of when I was in Fergus in 2021.

And speaking of my daugther, this evening she grabbed a goose feather and started drawning in the sand. She drew what she said was a pencil.

And finally, I also posted a couple weeks ago about finding multiple big seashells (well big for here) at a tiny beach that is 1.2km south of the beach I've been going to since 2008. First time seeing those and they happened to be at the place I went to for the first time and not the regular place. Well, found one now at the regular spot. So it looks like this is going to be a thing now? The only logical explanation is that the St. Lawrence has reversed its flow and is now bringing in seashells from the Atlantic, through Lake Ontario, through the Niagara River, up the Falls or through the locks of the Welland Canal, through Lake Erie, through the Detroit River, through Lake St. Clair, through the St. Clair River, through Lake Huron and into Georgian Bay. Or they could have avoided most of that and taken the Trent Severn Waterway through all the locks from Trenton, ON.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 2:36 PM

There's always a variety of mussel species within the great lakes -- perhaps the local water conditions have changed (eg. water temp. increase) and is now able to support a population of that specific species -- furthermore, it doesn't appear to be a zebra mussel which is highly invasive.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 1:17 AM
Cap the Cut!

Maugers beach on McNab's Island today. Water temp was 18c.

20230718_134819 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20230718_134825 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20230718_142447 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20230718_142450 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20230718_143054 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 2:20 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post

Can the Great Lakes experience huge waves? You betcha!
Video Link

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 1:37 PM
sick transit, gloria

Lake Ontario is relatively calm - at least in part due to it's geographic orientation vs prevailing winds (I think). But yeah, some of the other Great Lakes can certainly get some massive waves. I was in Chicago over Halloween a number of years back and the waves were big enough they had to shut down large parts of Lakeshore Dr. We were at the Field Museum and could feel the spray about 200m back from the water. This wasn't during a massive storm either - the weather was shit and it was pretty windy but not too dissimilar from windy days in Toronto and everything else in the city was operating normally.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 2:59 PM

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 8:05 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Lake Ontario is relatively calm - at least in part due to it's geographic orientation vs prevailing winds (I think). But yeah, some of the other Great Lakes can certainly get some massive waves. I was in Chicago over Halloween a number of years back and the waves were big enough they had to shut down large parts of Lakeshore Dr. We were at the Field Museum and could feel the spray about 200m back from the water. This wasn't during a massive storm either - the weather was shit and it was pretty windy but not too dissimilar from windy days in Toronto and everything else in the city was operating normally.
Lake Erie can be almost smooth as glass. Then seemingly out of nowhere a storm brews up with the winds going from SW to NE with Buffalo at the northeastern tip and people with small boats curse the Lake Gods
I've heard from multiple people over the years saying how scary Lake Erie can get if you're not even that far from shore. After one harrowing experience my Uncle years ago sold his boat soon after

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 8:16 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
The Great Lakes can be susceptible to sudden jumps and dips in water levels this time of year. MyRadar meteorologist Matthew Cappucci explains what makes a “seiche.”
Video Link

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 10:17 PM

Yeah, you really have to be mindful on the Greatl Lakes. Lots of stories of storms making ship wrecks. Gordon Lightfoot made a song about of course.

About 10 years ago they top level of bass tournament fishing, called Bassmaster, was holding a tournament on Erie out of Buffalo and the winds really kicked up and caused a boat to capsize.

And just today I was talking to a guy at work from Kitchener who grew up visiting his uncle out in Kincardine on Huron. And many times they'd get geeked for going out to go slay some lakers or salmon only for the uncle to cancel and say there are 6 foot waves out there.

Although he's from Kitchener, he takes his family to much farther Muskoka every year to rent cottages multiple times. They prefer to rent jet skis and boats there in the calmer waters and traverse through the Trent Severn Waterway or make multiple stops at different ports of call so to speak.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
There's always a variety of mussel species within the great lakes -- perhaps the local water conditions have changed (eg. water temp. increase) and is now able to support a population of that specific species -- furthermore, it doesn't appear to be a zebra mussel which is highly invasive.
Yup. It's obvious on pretty much any shoreline or near shore that there are changes each year. Even week to week the water levels can be drastically different.

Some years along the shoreline is mostly sand and in some years you have to walk over a layer of small rocks to get to the sandy bottom. And the locations of sandbars are different every year.

And we used to find clay deposits consistently every year but I haven't found one in about four years. You're walking around and then the sand suddenly feels different. You reach down to confirm and jackpot! Found some clay. Time to have fun. And rub it on your body to pretend it reduces wrinkling.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada