HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
The big challenge may be when they have to make payroll next.
Yep and that'll be this Thursday. With each passing hour with no bookings the end draws ever nearer.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
Yep and that'll be this Thursday. With each passing hour with no bookings the end draws ever nearer.
If I was AC or WS I'd have recruiters stationed at the gates of arriving Flair flights!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 7:42 PM

Day 4 of the Flair fiasco.

Poor KW Airport. Once Flair is toast, all they will have left for year-round service is a WS flight to Calgary and will be back to being a nothingburger airport.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post

Poor KW Airport. Once Flair is toast, all they will have left for year-round service is a WS flight to Calgary and will be back to being a nothingburger airport.
And we built an entire terminal and parking lot for them. Sheesh.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 7:59 PM

Quote:

I can't wait for it to be more expensive to fly around Canada than to fly to Europe again once the Duopoly gets their stranglehold back.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemustbeaboss View Post
I doubt we will see KW airport subsidize another airline like that again anytime soon. I guess it was nice to have the subsidised flights across Canada for a few years, but it doesn't seem to have been worth it in the end.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 9:13 PM

Quote:
It will be a nice terminal to wait for the new Air Canada bus to Pearson at least lol

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Well at least F8 have proven that YKF can support more than just YYC. If I were the Region of Waterloo, I'd be calling on Porter ASAP. Obviously not to set up a PD hub, but a PD focus city with year-round service to YVR on E95s, and YOW and YUL on DH4s, plus seasonal summer service to YHZ, YWG and YEG and some winter sun flying, I think would be a big success. With the region's high-tech industry and universities, there's enough hipsters there that align with PD's branding in the Region to pull off a 6-8 flight/day operation.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 11:01 PM

Quote:

It'll be a hit for London too if that happens. Aside from Flair, these days all they've got is AC to Pearson and WestJet to Calgary, and a few seasonal flights with Transat and Sunwing. Definitely an opportunity for Porter.

I know a couple of people who work for Flair - a husband and wife, the husband is a pilot and the wife is a flight attendant. Flair going under would be a huge blow to their family.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
It will be a nice terminal to wait for the new Air Canada bus to Pearson at least lol
Ouch

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
It'll be a hit for London too if that happens. Aside from Flair, these days all they've got is AC to Pearson and WestJet to Calgary, and a few seasonal flights with Transat and Sunwing. Definitely an opportunity for Porter.

I know a couple of people who work for Flair - a husband and wife, the husband is a pilot and the wife is a flight attendant. Flair going under would be a huge blow to their family.
That would hurt but both of them being fully qualified with the exception of not type rated on anything but 737s, depending on which base they’re based out of, they’d have no trouble finding new employment quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
If I was AC or WS I'd have recruiters stationed at the gates of arriving Flair flights!
And if were PD, I’d be standing at the departure gate at the other end lol.

Clearly PD will be the biggest winner of F8’s imminent demise.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 12:27 AM

Quote:

Aren't both AC and Westjet hungry for pilots?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 12:34 AM

Quote:

Flair employs over 1250 people directly and a ton of people indirectly through contractors (like YKF agents). This will be a huge blow. Sure pilots will land on their feet, but this will have dire consequences in an already bad economy.

I can imagine flair employees having severe anxiety right now.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 1:27 AM

Quote:

In London, Swoop hurt. Flair is almost invisible, with a couple flights a week. I haven't heard what their summer plans were yet, but I had read a week or so ago they were already cutting back summer plans elsewhere so I wouldn't be shocked if London wasn't even in the plans.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 1:44 AM

If you try to book a flight on Flair Airlines website right now it redirects to another website that then will show you flight options on Air Canada/Porter/WestJet if it's a route served by airlines other than Flair.

I kid you not.

Which is probably the smartest thing a Flair customer could do right (Book with a financial stable airline) if they actually want to arrive at their destination.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 2:25 AM

If I’m Canada Jetlines, I’d be paying very close attn to the flair situation and pounce on some of the domestic routes should flair go under.

But Jetlines is just as stupid, you know, launching YHZ-MCO in the summer with direct competition and little to no brand recognition…

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 2:27 AM

Quote:
For them or for whoever comes after them. No worries.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
If you try to book a flight on Flair Airlines website right now it redirects to another website that then will show you flight options on Air Canada/Porter/WestJet if it's a route served by airlines other than Flair.

I kid you not.

Which is probably the smartest thing a Flair customer could do right (Book with a financial stable airline) if they actually want to arrive at their destination.
LOL, I sh!t you not, it takes you to Cheapoair's website.

Even weirder, you're not actually booking with Flair you're booking with "World Ticket, Operated by Flair Airlines". Could it be any sketchier?!

[IMG]IMG_8618 by bcborn, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by whatnext; Mar 26, 2024 at 2:59 AM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Well at least F8 have proven that YKF can support more than just YYC. If I were the Region of Waterloo, I'd be calling on Porter ASAP. Obviously not to set up a PD hub, but a PD focus city with year-round service to YVR on E95s, and YOW and YUL on DH4s, plus seasonal summer service to YHZ, YWG and YEG and some winter sun flying, I think would be a big success. With the region's high-tech industry and universities, there's enough hipsters there that align with PD's branding in the Region to pull off a 6-8 flight/day operation.
YKF - YOW seems like a no brainer.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, I think its a matter of having to base aircraft there.

A smart short term pickup for Porter would be YKF-YOW/YHM-YOW 2x daily to feed the flights to the west and east, just like what WS does with YYC, AC with YYZ. They have the spare Q400 capabilities, its just a matter of pulling the trigger.

If Flair goes under, I'd hope Porter would want to expedite the start of a YVR base. Flair has over a hundred crew based in YVR that will be out of a job (unfortunately), in this pilot shortage, it might not hurt for Porter to pick them up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada