HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
The Rio Nuevo District released a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) proposal in May of 2023 for the former parking lot across from Tucson Electric Power, located at 75 East Broadway.

On July 21, 2023, the selected RFQ awardee was determined to be Obie Companies of Eugene, Oregon. Obie Companies develops and manages very special properties, including boutique hotels, mixed-use retail, multifamily and co-working spaces in the Pacific Northwest. Their award-winning designs are recognized for reflecting the unique environment and context of the surrounding area.

This new project is anticipated to include retail, food and beverage, parking, residences and a boutique hotel.
Found this link to the proposal: https://content.civicplus.com/api/as...8-08f5ab6ee56a

Obie is partnering with Opus, Daboub Schwabe, and Sundt on the project, now called 55 Scott. Looks to be a 13 story building, similar in style to the second proposal for 75 Broadway.

Current plans are
  • Ground Floor: Retail
  • Floor 2: Retail/Hotel
  • Floors 3-6: 240 Parking spaces
  • Floors 7-9: 120 Room Hotel
  • Floors 10-12: 90 Residences
  • Floor 13: Restaurant, Amenities

And a "pedestrian retail corridor" between the building and the buildings along Congress.

The proposal also mentions the possibility for a 75-room hotel in the 400 block of S Sixth Avenue.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 7:52 AM

Quote:
The Rio Nuevo District released a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) proposal in May of 2023 for the former parking lot across from Tucson Electric Power, located at 75 East Broadway.

On July 21, 2023, the selected RFQ awardee was determined to be Obie Companies of Eugene, Oregon. Obie Companies develops and manages very special properties, including boutique hotels, mixed-use retail, multifamily and co-working spaces in the Pacific Northwest. Their award-winning designs are recognized for reflecting the unique environment and context of the surrounding area.

This new project is anticipated to include retail, food and beverage, parking, residences and a boutique hotel.
Well you were spot on two months ago that a developer was chosen way back then. But I see the original developers are still involved too.

What I want to know is this building still going to look like the images in the link...or will there be design changes? Since its only going to be retail/hotel/apts...why does it still look like an office bldg? Of course, I wish they'd go taller but I'm learning no leaders have any desire to ever build tall. (I wonder if One South Church) has some stipulation that it will always be the tallest building in Tucson? Regardless the design of it the first time was disappointing...and even moreso now that they have a chance to reinvent it.

I wonder if Rio Nuevo didn't get any other RFPs...so they were forced to go with the same lousy developers they always choose? Seems like RN should have some kind of say over what it looks like. Guess RN loves it.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ71 View Post
Well you were spot on two months ago that a developer was chosen way back then. But I see the original developers are still involved too.

What I want to know is this building still going to look like the images in the link...or will there be design changes? Since its only going to be retail/hotel/apts...why does it still look like an office bldg? Of course, I wish they'd go taller but I'm learning no leaders have any desire to ever build tall. (I wonder if One South Church) has some stipulation that it will always be the tallest building in Tucson? Regardless the design of it the first time was disappointing...and even moreso now that they have a chance to reinvent it.

I wonder if Rio Nuevo didn't get any other RFPs...so they were forced to go with the same lousy developers they always choose? Seems like RN should have some kind of say over what it looks like. Guess RN loves it.
I think that they started going in with the idea that they'll make the tallest building in the city at any cost. At first the compromised on the lackluster design. Then that was eventually scaled down. Now we're stuck with a very bland building. Better than nothing, but barely lol. I'm surprised they didn't do more floors of apartments. In this market they can support it.

In other (possible) news, Peach Properties has a neat 15 story rendering for a high rise on Broadway. It looks residential in design. I couldn't find any context about the picture, though.

https://peachprops.com/projects/

Would be a really cool project, whatever it is. I've heard rumors of a project at this site years ago. I'm not holding my breath, but the infill at this part of downtown if 55 Scott, this 15 story Peach tower, and the Jackson/Ochoa project would be incredible. We'd have a really nice urban core, finally
Now imagine if the Gateway project at congress and I-10 gets built too! We'd definitely have a (short) but respectable skyline for the first time!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eapiwo View Post
a neat 15 story rendering for a high rise
I don't think we can reasonably call a 15-story building a "high rise". To me, anything below 20 stories or maybe 200 feet should be considered a mid-rise building. Is there a formal definition for that cut off? Anyone? 15 stories might be tall in Tucson but nowhere else on the planet would anyone call a 15-story building a high rise.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
I don't think we can reasonably call a 15-story building a "high rise". To me, anything below 20 stories or maybe 200 feet should be considered a mid-rise building. Is there a formal definition for that cut off? Anyone? 15 stories might be tall in Tucson but nowhere else on the planet would anyone call a 15-story building a high rise.
Debbie Downer is back! Always looking for another great parade to rain on 🌧

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eapiwo View Post
Debbie Downer is back! Always looking for another great parade to rain on 🌧
Not intended as I'd love more than anyone (was born in Tucson) to see a new actual high-rise built in Tucson! But I think on this forum we should at least be consistent with what we call these things. If a super tall is 1000'+ then you can't call a 955' tower a supertall. Show me where the definition for a high-rise includes a 15 story building and I will re-phrase!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 3:36 AM

The International Building Code classifies any "building with an occupied floor located more than 75 feet (22,680 mm) above the lowest level of fire department vehicle access" as a high-rise. But maybe every floor of this proposal will be like the 7 1/2 floor from Being John Malkovich.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
Not intended as I'd love more than anyone (was born in Tucson) to see a new actual high-rise built in Tucson! But I think on this forum we should at least be consistent with what we call these things. If a super tall is 1000'+ then you can't call a 955' tower a supertall. Show me where the definition for a high-rise includes a 15 story building and I will re-phrase!
Definitions are all over the place. One site says low-rise buildings are 4 stories or less. Mid-rise are 5-12 and high-rise is 13 stories or taller. I dont necessarily agree with that. I've also read to be deemed a true skyscraper it needs to be 200 meters (656 ft). So that would be double our One South Church. I guess there isn't anything set in stone.

But regarding that post above for the 15 story 44 Broadway. That development from Peach is pretty old. I would consider it dead. If you look at Peach Properties website they have no portfolio of actually completing any kind of building with height. The only other two buildings completed with height were already built and they only remodeled them. Different than constructing.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 1:20 AM

Okay so clearly it's all about eye of the beholder. I stand corrected - it's a potential high-rise!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 7:57 PM

Tucson Marketplace at the Bridges

Just wanted to share an updated layout of the businesses at the Tucson Marketplace at the Bridges.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 8:35 PM

Chicago Music Store

Arizona Daily Star (ADS) reported that Starbucks will be occupying the Chicago Music Store in downtown Tucson. Some people online expressed anger with this decision, however, the store will only occupy 1250 sqft of the 7300 sqft 1st floor property. Part owner Marcel Dabdoub says they are looking to continue to fill a need for merchandise retail downtown and have received interests. The Starbucks downtown location won't even be a sit-down location, it will only be a mobile only service according to ADS.

According to the article, Starbucks had been eyeing downtown Tucson but didn't think it was ready. Now, it think it is. Furthermore, here is an excerpt from the article:

Time will tell to see what other projects are revealed to us in 2024.

Link to Article but it is Subscriber only read:
https://tucson.com/news/local/subscr...141d25310.html

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 9:06 PM

Reid Park Zoo expansion

New parking lot pictured:

Work is almost complete for the new Reid Park Zoo's parking lot. The Zoo is in the midst of an expansion of new exhibits called Pathway to Asia. The expansion will take place in the current parking lot of the Zoo. Construction will begin in January 2024 and be open in 2025 according to their Threads account. Earlier this year, they introduced a sloth exhibit and completed World of Play adventure zone for kids which takes guests to the world of Antarctica, North American redwoods, and the South American rain forests.

Here is a link to a flythrough of the expansion!

https://reidparkzoo.org/future/future-asia/

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsaturn View Post

Arizona Daily Star (ADS) reported that Starbucks will be occupying the Chicago Music Store in downtown Tucson. Some people online expressed anger with this decision, however, the store will only occupy 1250 sqft of the 7300 sqft 1st floor property. Part owner Marcel Dabdoub says they are looking to continue to fill a need for merchandise retail downtown and have received interests. The Starbucks downtown location won't even be a sit-down location, it will only be a mobile only service according to ADS.

According to the article, Starbucks had been eyeing downtown Tucson but didn't think it was ready. Now, it think it is. Furthermore, here is an excerpt from the article:

Time will tell to see what other projects are revealed to us in 2024.

Link to Article but it is Subscriber only read:
https://tucson.com/news/local/subscr...141d25310.html
McCusker is full of it and should step down. The Obie people are the new 75 E Broadway people who are only part owners of that new (estimated) 13 story bldg that will look exactly like the renderings we've seen now for 5 years. And Obie is partnered with Peach Bros, Dabdoub, etc for it. The Las Vegas restaurant chef is of no consequence to downtown as a thriving zone. Its a restaurant that will eventually close like they all do. The chicago apt people is a new one to me. But if its anything like HSL and their horrible design they brought to downtown they should say no. I dont think RN have the architecture balls to challenge anyone and would think a new Popeye's Chicken is top notch architecture.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 2:16 PM

The proposed 17-story apartment building off of Congress and the I-10 frontage road are the Chicago developers.

In the link that InTheBurbs shared, it showed that the Opus Group is part of the 75 East development team. If that’s the case, I have hope the project will finally get done. They have a good track record with multi-story buildings. They’re developing the 13-story Ari off of 4th Ave.

Last edited by southtucsonboy77; Dec 15, 2023 at 2:33 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 8:24 PM

Quote:
The proposed 17-story apartment building off of Congress and the I-10 frontage road are the Chicago developers.

In the link that InTheBurbs shared, it showed that the Opus Group is part of the 75 East development team. If that’s the case, I have hope the project will finally get done. They have a good track record with multi-story buildings. They’re developing the 13-story Ari off of 4th Ave.
Thats right. That 17-story building. At least its out of state developers which is hopeful. But the land is still owned by Nor-Gen according to city records. Valid point about Opus. Seems like so many hands are in the pot on that 75 E Broadway project now. (Obie, Opus, Schwabe (Peach Properties) & Dabdoub) just to build a 13 story building? I zero faith in Schwabe or Dabdoub for building anything substantial. They're renovators in my opinion. Not builders. Hopefully Opus will be the one driving that project.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2023, 4:53 AM

Rio Nuevo Meeting 12/19/23

Rio Nuevo meeting today discussed a few things. They tabled talk about the Bautista which is currently under construction.

Fletcher briefly mentioned what we already know about 75 E Broadway which apparently is now 55 Scott. He says development has been awarded to Obie companies which develops and operates hotels out of Oregon. He says they will be providing renderings and an economic benefits analysis to the board. BUT I know someone linked the proposal already but hopefully they change the renderings? This project has a history of changing it's renderings so hoping it becomes something different and that we all like

-Arizona Daily Star already reported Miss Saigon moving into the former restaurant MiAn Sushi at the TEP buidling. Not sure of timeline of when this will be completed. They are currently downtown and are just moving to a bigger space.

-Former Crescent Smoke shop on SE corner 6th Ave and Congress is looking to ink a new tenant but no reveal yet.

-Country Home Block will be branded as Sunshine Village. The owner of the block is the owner of Prep & Pastry/Flora's Market. They said the property will be a "Social House" which means providing meeting and party space for events. The social house will include a private 6 lane bowling alley and brewery. Also, they envision a bakery with pies.

-Fox theater Block (Not the actual theater): This is the NE corner of Congress /Church. The owner has already painted the corner building and bought planter boxes. I think they also were turning the 2nd floors into lofts. They have already inked a 10 year lease of a walk-up Roadrunner's coffee into one of the empty spaces next to JA Ramen and Perche No.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2023, 9:08 AM

Quote:
Rio Nuevo meeting today discussed a few things. They tabled talk about the Bautista which is currently under construction.

Fletcher briefly mentioned what we already know about 75 E Broadway which apparently is now 55 Scott. He says development has been awarded to Obie companies which develops and operates hotels out of Oregon. He says they will be providing renderings and an economic benefits analysis to the board. BUT I know someone linked the proposal already but hopefully they change the renderings? This project has a history of changing it's renderings so hoping it becomes something different and that we all like

-Arizona Daily Star already reported Miss Saigon moving into the former restaurant MiAn Sushi at the TEP buidling. Not sure of timeline of when this will be completed. They are currently downtown and are just moving to a bigger space.

-Former Crescent Smoke shop on SE corner 6th Ave and Congress is looking to ink a new tenant but no reveal yet.

-Country Home Block will be branded as Sunshine Village. The owner of the block is the owner of Prep & Pastry/Flora's Market. They said the property will be a "Social House" which means providing meeting and party space for events. The social house will include a private 6 lane bowling alley and brewery. Also, they envision a bakery with pies.

-Fox theater Block (Not the actual theater): This is the NE corner of Congress /Church. The owner has already painted the corner building and bought planter boxes. I think they also were turning the 2nd floors into lofts. They have already inked a 10 year lease of a walk-up Roadrunner's coffee into one of the empty spaces next to JA Ramen and Perche No.

In the "leaked" proposal for 55 Scott...are you talking about that same 13-story rendering we've all seen for months now? I honestly do not believe Obie Companies from Oregon is making any facade changes. I just dont understand why RN keeps saying this is Obie's project when all the old developers clearly still have their hand in the pot. Just go to Obie Companies website and see their portfolio of projects. You'll see they've basically done one project that encompasses a lot of smaller boutique hotels and an open market thing. https://www.obiecompanies.com

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ71 View Post
In the "leaked" proposal for 55 Scott...are you talking about that same 13-story rendering we've all seen for months now? I honestly do not believe Obie Companies from Oregon is making any facade changes. I just dont understand why RN keeps saying this is Obie's project when all the old developers clearly still have their hand in the pot. Just go to Obie Companies website and see their portfolio of projects. You'll see they've basically done one project that encompasses a lot of smaller boutique hotels and an open market thing. https://www.obiecompanies.com
Yea I was referring to that one. The renderings aren’t finalized yet so I was holding out the little hope of some changes to the architecture but who am I kidding? Their portfolio isn’t impressive, I agree.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2023, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Yea I was referring to that one. The renderings aren’t finalized yet so I was holding out the little hope of some changes to the architecture but who am I kidding? Their portfolio isn’t impressive, I agree.
Whenever you hear more confirmed plans or have sketches or something...do post (and by post I mean leak) and let us know. I'm praying its doesn't look the same. If it has to be 13 stories...then let it be a beautiful building.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2024, 1:29 AM

Downtown Links Update

Update on downtown links connecting what we know as "Aviation" to I-10. This is an alternate route providing access to Stone ave and I-10, bypassing downtown. Many people use Congress st to get to I-10 from the East side so this maybe a relief to traffic but time will tell! The project is in it's last phase which includes an Union train underpass and a Deck Park plaza. Completion is Summer 2024. Click the youtube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3OEGlcdVO4

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest