HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
The bus is clearly turning on a light that's red or just about red.. tsk tsk.

Ron.
How will the bus driver learn if he doesn't have to face any repercussions?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 12:43 AM

Serious answer: maybe just don't try and beat the bus, and/or figure out which one's the gas and which one's the brake?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 7:18 AM

As with all left turns, once the (bus) has entered the intersection (crossed the signal stop line so as to block the crosswalk), once the light turns red, it must complete its turn to clear the intersection and cross traffic must wait for that movement to be completed.

Last edited by officedweller; Aug 20, 2024 at 5:02 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
The bus is clearly turning on a light that's red or just about red.. tsk tsk.

Ron.
Yellow?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 7:26 PM

The cars turning right as a courtesy at least should have yielded for the bus to clear the intersection.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 9:48 PM

I like the new paint scheme on these trains. Is Translink phasing out the grey on new vehicles?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griswold View Post
I like the new paint scheme on these trains. Is Translink phasing out the grey on new vehicles?
Yes, this has been TransLink's standard livery since 2019.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
As with all left turns, once the (bus) has entered the intersection (crossed the signal stop line so as to block the crosswalk), once the light turns red, it must complete its turn to clear the intersection and cross traffic must wait for that movement to be completed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
Yellow?
Plus, it appears the bus had to wait for a pedestrian still crossing while the light was yellow.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 11:54 PM

It's sort of irrelevant to look at why the bus had to wait so long to complete it's turn, there are a-holes such as the silver Toyota driving like this every day.
None of that gives the taxi driver any right let alone reason to attempt at overtaking and changing lanes within an intersection as was their presumed intention, not to mention doing so without a clear lane ahead.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Heightened patrolling has already begun across the system. For example, Transit Security conducted record-level fare enforcement checks in July following the addition of eight new officers. Over 100,000 riders were checked by Transit Security last month, a 60 per cent increase compared to last year.
https://www.nsnews.com/highlights/tr...vaders-9374492

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:39 AM

Question: when does the cost of fare enforcement make it prohibitive to increase it? Pretty sure the existing Security is already in the red.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Question: when does the cost of fare enforcement make it prohibitive to increase it? Pretty sure the existing Security is already in the red.
A fare evasion fine is apparently $173. According to the Transit Police website, Transit Police make on average somewhere around $110k a year. That's about $50 an hour give or take.

So to justify a transit officer doing fare enforcement fulltime, they'd need to be giving out a little under one ticket every three hours (assuming we calculate the value based on fines and not on the implicit idea that more people will pay.)

Frankly, all the times I've been on transit recently I've seen fare evaders, so if they just upped the transit police presence right now they might be paying for themselves.

Translink aims to reduce the amount of fare evasion by $5,000,000 a year (that's not the total evasion, that's the amount they want to capture) so they could have 50 officers working fare evasion and it would come out on top (assuming it changed transit behaviours.)

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
A fare evasion fine is apparently $173. According to the Transit Police website, Transit Police make on average somewhere around $110k a year. That's about $50 an hour give or take.

So to justify a transit officer doing fare enforcement fulltime, they'd need to be giving out a little under one ticket every three hours (assuming we calculate the value based on fines and not on the implicit idea that more people will pay.)

Frankly, all the times I've been on transit recently I've seen fare evaders, so if they just upped the transit police presence right now they might be paying for themselves.

Translink aims to reduce the amount of fare evasion by $5,000,000 a year (that's not the total evasion, that's the amount they want to capture) so they could have 50 officers working fare evasion and it would come out on top (assuming it changed transit behaviours.)
Tickets is one thing, but collecting on the tickets is another. I recall that a very low amount actually gets collected, which is whole other problem in itself.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyaki View Post
Tickets is one thing, but collecting on the tickets is another. I recall that a very low amount actually gets collected, which is whole other problem in itself.
On the Vancouver subreddit I saw some comments about treating fare evasion as the same crime as shoplifting. That makes sense to me, I'm not sure why it isn't already.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure