HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Why do you continue to make the false equivalency between Oakridge and Senakw? You're smart enough to know exactly what the difference is.

Other than the laughably pretentious twaddle that goes hand in hand with Westbank's involvement, they are completely different.
You're smart enough to know that different jurisdictions don't automatically mean shady dealings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
It's like you think Stewart wrote into the service agreement that Vancouverites will have to sacrifice their first borns to the Squamish, provide their virgin daughters to them, and each provide a $10,000 a month reparation to the band.

It's a service agreement. They're going to pay the city for utilities, upkeep of the utilities, and services. These are everywhere in the province. City agrees to connect pipe. Band agrees to pay for liquid in pipe. Band agrees to pay for maintenance of pipe. How hard is that to understand?

I do notice you always ignore what I have to say, and go for the easy pickings fighting over semantics.
Nah, they're obviously contractually obligated to sell all the condos to KGB agents who'll slowly hijack City Council and annex Vancouver for The Rodina! (TM).

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 10:10 PM

Quote:
No, I'm not sure why wanting to know what the hapless Kennedy Stewart is committing taxpayers to is racist.

Are you also trying to insinuate it is the Squamish who will be occupying those towers? You know it isn't. There will be a small number for them but the rest is just a pure profit making exercise for them and Westbank.
So who isn't paying taxes again?

Why are you so focused on this development and not others. It's the only one spearheaded by FN. Curious.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
So who isn't paying taxes again?

Why are you so focused on this development and not others. It's the only one spearheaded by FN. Curious.
Umm, because this is the Senakw thread and its the only one about to break ground?

I'm generally curious why so many posters who say the service agreement is "no big deal" are so adverse to the idea of it being disclosed then?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Umm, because this is the Senakw thread and its the only one about to break ground?

I'm generally curious why so many posters who say the service agreement is "no big deal" are so adverse to the idea of it being disclosed then?
And why were the libs so adverse to the idea of Obama just showing his birth certificate?

No adverse just not typical. If mine can be FOIP'd then I imagine theirs can.

Quote:
Less "adverse," more "don't give a rat's ass." You, Doug and the Karens in Kits Point are the only ones bent out of shape over this.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 10:27 PM

Is it a dollar figure you're after?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 10:29 PM

Quote:

I guess that goes back to standard practice. Do we have the rest of the service agreements for major projects? Oakridge is the example cited that you seem to be ignoring.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 11:16 PM

The service agreement should be similar to the long-standing agreement with the Musqueam Nation, which was apparently in the order of $1 million a year in 2014. When that was signed it was reported in the Sun: "Vancouver Coun. Andrea Reimer said the deal doesn't add any additional costs to the city and instead outlines how the city is paid for what it delivers to the band. Under the agreement, the agreed fee structures don't change unless the land use also changes, she said. The fees are at market rate, meaning dollar for dollar the band pays rates similar to residents of Vancouver, with some exceptions. The band doesn't pay for recreation services, as it has its own community centre." That was renewed last year, and was also described as "a partnership in which the Musqueam Indian Band will acquire a wide variety of services including police, fire, animal control, water, and solid waste services through the City of Vancouver for market rates."

The exact details and dollar costs don't seem to have been subject to an FOI, or if they were, were not released. The Squamish agreement on this project was reported to be in escrow until details are finalized. Presumably there are still details being worked out.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
And why were the libs so adverse to the idea of Obama just showing his birth certificate?
It might have something to do with the double standard that was implicit in the request in the first place, given the fact that he was the first person running for presidency of whom this had ever been asked - and ironically, while himself not being actually born outside the US, he was not the first person to run for president while NOT having been born in the US - George Romney, John McCain and Barry Goldwater - none of whom were asked to show their birth certificate.

He was also not the first person running questioned about his citizenship or birth certificate even while having not being born an American citizen (he was ) - the first Nine presidents of the US were not American citizens at birth because, The United States of America did not exist as a country when they were born and they were thus effectively citizens of the British empire born on one of her colonies .

He wasn't even the last person running for the US presidency questioned about his citizenship and birth - except ACTUALLY having been born outside the US and admitting it.
That would have been one of our very own - Alberta-born Teddy Raphael Cruz (who has since disowned and renounced his Canadian citizenship . How will Canada ever recover from such a monumental loss?)

None of all these other people either running for, or actually being president were ever asked to prove their citizenship or show their birth certificates or any other "papers" upon embarking on their runs.
Not the 43 that came before him or the 2 after, nor the several hundred who've before and since run and failed to win either.

Gee, I wonder what the difference could be between him all these other people.
What could it be?
What could it be?
I guess we'll never know.

Meanwhile, Mr. "just asking questions" couldn't be bothered to show his tax returns, something that every other person who's ever run in the modern era has done without much fuss.

Anyway, circling back to the current discussion, I imagine the same mystery and question exist as to why the double standard in the request for this disclosure and not for other projects.

What's the difference, I wonder?

I guess we'll never know.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 4:46 PM

Quote:
No, I'm not sure why wanting to know what the hapless Kennedy Stewart is committing taxpayers to is racist.
Just stop, you have no idea how development works. You aren't paying for this. The developer will be paying substantial Servicing fees, DCCs, CACs, and other fees to make sure of it.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusmcduff View Post
Just stop, you have no idea how development works. You aren't paying for this. The developer will be paying substantial Servicing fees, DCCs, CACs, and other fees to make sure of it.
Really? Who is Senakw paying CACs to? Cite please.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusmcduff View Post
He should indeed stop, but in this specific case the developer won't be paying DCCs or CACs because the land was originally a native settlement, and the residents were forcibly removed to the north shore. Once CPR stopped using it, the Squamish Nation went to court, and were given the land back as an Indian Reserve. That's why, like the other Indian Reserves, the band has a Servicing Agreement with the City to provide services for the new development.

The fact that whatever development occurs here doesn't require development permits or any other City oversight is what exercises some residents, especially those in the enclave of houses at Kits Point, next door. And a few others who don't live close to the site.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 4:59 PM

Would this site be subject to Metro or TransLink DCCs? Or in a roundabout way as a servicing fee I wonder

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
He should indeed stop, but in this specific case the developer won't be paying DCCs or CACs because the land was originally a native settlement, and the residents were forcibly removed to the north shore. Once CPR stopped using it, the Squamish Nation went to court, and were given the land back as an Indian Reserve. That's why, like the other Indian Reserves, the band has a Servicing Agreement with the City to provide services for the new development.

The fact that whatever development occurs here doesn't require development permits or any other City oversight is what exercises some residents, especially those in the enclave of houses at Kits Point, next door. And a few others who don't live close to the site.
Sorry, I was focused on his earlier statement of "non taxpayer residents" at Oakridge.

Regardless, everyone who connects to City infrastructure needs to pay for the costs associated with this connection. In this case it would be an entire separate jurisdiction instead of just an individual property, but the same rules would apply, it's extremely unlikely that the City would simply allow them to connect without needing to pay the costs of that connection, including any necessary upgrades.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 5:41 PM

Hmm I see Tsawwassen is a Member of Metro, I wonder if that could be in the works here in the future.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2022, 7:30 PM

Well there we go, it wasn’t so hard to provide details of the agreement, was it? Perhaps somebody involved reads SSP.

Interesting to see the condos on leased land idea has been dropped. All rental now, which is a good thing.

Senakw project: The unique Squamish Nation and City of Vancouver partnership outlined in agreement
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/sena...agreement-plan

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Well there we go, it wasn’t so hard to provide details of the agreement, was it? Perhaps somebody involved reads SSP.

Interesting to see the condos on leased land idea has been dropped. All rental now, which is a good thing.

Senakw project: The unique Squamish Nation and City of Vancouver partnership outlined in agreement
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/sena...agreement-plan
So, let me get this straight, the SN has decided to:
  • Give the CoV over $50 million dollars
  • Reimburse the city for any administrative costs relating to this project + 20%
  • Follow many CoV guidelines
  • Handle local transit infrastructure improvements
  • Provide "reasonable steps" and a guaranteed easement for 5 years at False Creek to help get the False Creek streetcar activated
  • And provide "reasonable steps" to help increase water based transit in the area

Wonder what the NIMBYs will try to fight on after all this? Guess the Vanier Park access road is the hill to die on now.

Since Kenneth forgot to cite his source, here's the service agreement for anyone who wants to read legalese.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Khelsilem@Khelsilem

Are you ready for new details, renderings, and timelines on the Sen̓áḵw Development? Construction starts within the next month!

10:16 PM · Aug 5, 2022·Twitter Web App
https://twitter.com/Khelsilem/status...IKQICl_L2QuHIQ

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 4:36 AM

Apparently some NIMBYs are ready to use their bodies to halt construction. This is gonna be real fun...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver