HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2man View Post
I need to be honest and say I don't get downtown as much as I would like to (I don't work downtown but would try to patronize the restaurants and bars as much as possible to do my part, but now that doing those things aren't a thing I'm pretty isolated), but this weekend my wife had to work so today I took my son and dog for a nice urban walk in the east exchange. Had a lovely stroll through Stephen Juba and snaked around the streets. I sure wish I took pics to post of the Pumhouse development! It's super cool and looks close to done, at least from the outside. My only critique is that the pumphouse itself is quite hidden, although the developer did what they could to keep a physical space between the new building (which blends well with the the street and other buildings on Waterfront) and the Pumphouse. It's another piece of the puzzle to fill in that gap toward Higgins.

I love the Cibo building going onto the water, and would love to see a similar development take over the Alexander Dock adjacent. Lots of potential there and it's currently a bit of a plight tbh.
Every day Homeless set up camps inside Steven Juba Park. They light fires along Waterfront Drive. They have a party area towards the North for 20 years now. The residents at 300 Waterfront (Strand) call the COPS every day to have them removed. The homeless problem is out of control and no one cares. Santos refuses to respond to emails from Waterfront residents as they are racist according to her. Centre Venture's RFP stated the Pumphouse must be visible from Waterfront Dr. They built a rental area and it blocks the entire Pumphouse. On the back they are building the apartments close as well. Also young criminals with back packs are using crowbars and sledge hammers to break into lock boxes and enter the apartment buildings. I saw the video.
RNDSQR will lose their ass. I guarantee it.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...m/IMG_8443.JPG

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...m/IMG_6702.JPG

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 11:12 PM
keep the good times going

I recently walked through the area as well, and I thought that the East Exchange is looking great, I actually prefer it to the West Exchange these days. It was pleasant, with people strolling, dog walkers and not a lot of cars.

I quite like the way the pumphouse development fronts the park. The new Alexander development down the street is going to look great. Wonderful street wall forming along Waterfront.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander 90 View Post
Every day Homeless set up camps inside Steven Juba Park. They light fires along Waterfront Drive. They have a party area towards the North for 20 years now. The residents at 300 Waterfront (Strand) call the COPS every day to have them removed. The homeless problem is out of control and no one cares. Santos refuses to respond to emails from Waterfront residents as they are racist according to her. Centre Venture's RFP stated the Pumphouse must be visible from Waterfront Dr. They built a rental area and it blocks the entire Pumphouse. On the back they are building the apartments close as well. Also young criminals with back packs are using crowbars and sledge hammers to break into lock boxes and enter the apartment buildings. I saw the video.
RNDSQR will lose their ass. I guarantee it.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...m/IMG_8443.JPG

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...m/IMG_6702.JPG

Nah. You’re imagining things.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Nah. You’re imagining things.
Waterfront Drive is the new East Hasting's! Haven't you heard?

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Tell us how you feel!

Seriously there is a lot of truth in your post, some of it most in here don’t want to hear or choose to ignore!
There is some merit in A90 comments ...

The Docks really have to get sorted out with a firm plan to move forward...

I really hope The Forks North Portage can finalize a mandate to move and reclaim this excellent location.

My understanding is someone pressured the City to condemn the Docks due to a perceived structural shortcoming. The idea they would collapse is erroneous as they look the same today as 10 years ago.

I share some of the frustrations with the City and related agencies though.

These waterfront projects need to be completed with City support to keep them safe...

Everyone wants to show up for a photo op but fall way short of the tough decisions and heavy lifting required to keep pushing forward.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post

I really hope The Forks North Portage can finalize a mandate to move and reclaim this excellent location.

My understanding is someone pressured the City to condemn the Docks due to a perceived structural shortcoming. The idea they would collapse is erroneous as they look the same today as 10 years ago.

These waterfront projects need to be completed with City support to keep them safe...

Everyone wants to show up for a photo op but fall way short of the tough decisions and heavy lifting required to keep pushing forward.
I have been asking Centre Venture for 10+ years to repair or tear down the Docks. Loretta and Ross told me in person in October 2010 that the Docks would be repaired, new street-lighting installed, more lighting on the north pathway, new sidewalks to replace the asphalt ones. 10 years later nothing has been done. I took pictures under the Docks in 2013 and emailed them Sam Katz and told him the Docks were a safety hazard. He closed them in short order. Loretta told me that Waterfront Drive would be the Tuxedo of Downtown. Bowman ignored my 100 emails and phone calls in 2014/15 regarding the Docks. He had his handlers blow me off each time. I have been dealing with this crap for 10 years. Angela came to my office in 2019 and clarified that Centre Venture have no money to invest on Waterfront Drive and that their work is done there. They had a design contest for the Docks but that really was for the Mayor to convince him to do something for a legacy project. The homeless were not too bad in the beginning. They would have fires at the party area and that's about it. Since 2018 things got progressively worse. I have hours of recorded video of them breaking into cars, buildings, breaking windows, having sex in dark spaces, shooting up, etc. Homelessness is job retention and job creation. Took me 1 year to figure that out when End Homeless Winnipeg told me that Housing is not important and that 22 storage containers at Thunderbird House for $5.9M was a good deal. They said counseling is more important than housing. I showed them I could build 150 units of housing and counseling for $5.9M (3 year payback on medical and associated expenses) I was added to the email by accident that said to the other employees, "how are we going to reply to this guy?" All they care about is their jobs. They did not care that I could help them for free. I do not need the money. "HOUSING FIRST - GIVE THE HOMELESS THEIR DIGNITY BACK!" Free Housing is a great start. Affordable Housing is a fallacy. COPS do not care. We call them when someone breaks a window or breaks in to a car and they never show up. They call back the next day. Downtown BIZ patrols do not come to Waterfront Drive. Bowman cancelled the Waterfront Drive 24/7 patrols after he was elected. The new Downtown Safety Patrols do not some to Waterfront either. I call Greg Burnett weekly for the past 13 months begging his patrols to go to Waterfront. He called me Friday. New crew is in training for the next 3 weeks and they will be on Waterfront Drive due to my diligence. Greg is a great guy and he cares. I care. 10 fucking years of caring and no one gives a shit. I give a shit. I have $15M invested on this fucking street.

Last edited by Alexander 90; May 10, 2021 at 2:57 AM.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 3:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post

Good post, the city is great at getting the ball rolling on certain things but then seems to lose interest and moves onto something else never quite finishing anything they have started and there are numerous examples of this throughout the inner core.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Good post, the city is great at getting the ball rolling on certain things but then seems to lose interest and moves onto something else never quite finishing anything they have started and there are numerous examples of this throughout the inner core.
They're great at getting good projects shut down too... like 127 Bannatyne.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 4:30 AM

Quote:
I have been asking Centre Venture for 10+ years to repair or tear down the Docks. Loretta and Ross told me in person in October 2010 that the Docks would be repaired, new street-lighting installed, more lighting on the north pathway, new sidewalks to replace the asphalt ones. 10 years later nothing has been done. I took pictures under the Docks in 2013 and emailed them Sam Katz and told him the Docks were a safety hazard. He closed them in short order. Loretta told me that Waterfront Drive would be the Tuxedo of Downtown. Bowman ignored my 100 emails and phone calls in 2014/15 regarding the Docks. He had his handlers blow me off each time. I have been dealing with this crap for 10 years. Angela came to my office in 2019 and clarified that Centre Venture have no money to invest on Waterfront Drive and that their work is done there. They had a design contest for the Docks but that really was for the Mayor to convince him to do something for a legacy project. The homeless were not too bad in the beginning. They would have fires at the party area and that's about it. Since 2018 things got progressively worse. I have hours of recorded video of them breaking into cars, buildings, breaking windows, having sex in dark spaces, shooting up, etc. Homelessness is job retention and job creation. Took me 1 year to figure that out when End Homeless Winnipeg told me that Housing is not important and that 22 storage containers at Thunderbird House for $5.9M was a good deal. They said counseling is more important than housing. I showed them I could build 150 units of housing and counseling for $5.9M (3 year payback on medical and associated expenses) I was added to the email by accident that said to the other employees, "how are we going to reply to this guy?" All they care about is their jobs. They did not care that I could help them for free. I do not need the money. "HOUSING FIRST - GIVE THE HOMELESS THEIR DIGNITY BACK!" Free Housing is a great start. Affordable Housing is a fallacy. COPS do not care. We call them when someone breaks a window or breaks in to a car and they never show up. They call back the next day. Downtown BIZ patrols do not come to Waterfront Drive. Bowman cancelled the Waterfront Drive 24/7 patrols after he was elected. The new Downtown Safety Patrols do not some to Waterfront either. I call Greg Burnett weekly for the past 13 months begging his patrols to go to Waterfront. He called me Friday. New crew is in training for the next 3 weeks and they will be on Waterfront Drive due to my diligence. Greg is a great guy and he cares. I care. 10 fucking years of caring and no one gives a shit. I give a shit. I have $15M invested on this fucking street.
Just out of curiosity... what is the 15 mil investment?

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 7:05 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
your right about the its a job security thing and this needs to change in the last few years seen the problems explode cause of this...............

and another example of the bs is siloan missions weird bard fight in the last yr

you built the grey apartments by the north round about no?

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post
Just out of curiosity... what is the 15 mil investment?
The H20 apartments a little further north on Waterfront Drive, getting closer to Labroco's precinct. I'm not sure if there's anything else?

Anyway, there is a lot of frustration here voiced by A90 and I can sympathize with him. He took a chance on Waterfront and while I'm sure some might look at him and say that's the business, you win some, you lose some, I don't think that's a good way of looking at it. He did something that would obviously benefit himself, but it was also an investment in the community that could help improve the area. And now he feels hung out to dry.

There's no question that the social fabric of downtown has frayed over the last couple years, and some areas that felt like they were OK and on the upswing are now looking pretty rough. If the situation doesn't improve then the legitimate operators move out and the unpleasant slumlords take over, and then it's worse for everyone. The situation deserves some attention.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 1:39 PM

The H2O apartments are in a tough spot. I do have some sympathy. They're a good three blocks north of the more built up ("nice") part of the East exchange. The Alexander development should help inject some life and additional eyes on the street closer to H2O. But that still leaves the two blocks between Alexander and George. H2O is also right on the edge of a pretty dodgy industrial area, which I would not want to walk around in at night.

Essentially the area isn't populating and developing quick enough. I personally find that the parts of the Exchange that are built up and populated are really nice. The buzz from pre-pandemic activities like restaurants and bars is missing, but the area's population and average income has probably never been higher. So when I walk through the Exchange I often see residents going about their day or evening, and the area feels quite safe. That feeling is missing up by H2O. I've seen this in other cities too, where you can be walking on a beautiful urban street that feels safe and full of eyes, and then you walk one further block and there's that feeling of unease.

Tough situation re H2O. Hopefully development pushes north. That being said, I don't really see Slumlords taking over luxury condominiums in the Exchange. The area's population and average income is still growing. As long as that trend continues, I think the area will improve and be okay. The City can only do so much to boot homeless people out of places and improve safety, they can put more cops walking on the street. But really, without lots of residents, an area is always going to feel sketchy. If anything, TIF probably does more to ensure a safe downtown.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 2:15 PM

^ Slumlords won't take over condos like the Excelsior and the Strand, but they could take over more marginal rental apartment buildings out on the periphery. And then the situation really starts to deteriorate.

I don't know why A90 isn't encouraging RNDSQR with their development... that project will help close the gap between the more established East Exchange and his property further up the street. It will be great news for H20 because suddenly it won't feel like it's out on the edge so much. Which makes me wonder, how are YouCube and the spaceship doing? They are even more out of the way than H20.

I think Labroco needs to take his neighbour A90 for a drink and provide some reassuring words

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 2:55 PM
surely you agree with me

its quite unbelievable that the City has just let alexander docks just rot. Pothole filling budget doubles and infrastructure investment that would grow the economy is pushed aside.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 3:43 PM

Since there are no trees in the area between Cibo and the area just north of the docks. I feel like this would be a good spot to put in sheet piled wall along the riverbank. This will flatten the area, increasing the useable space. Put in a playground and /or some other type of family friendly amenities. You could even include a small dock.

Spend a few million and turn it into something for the area residents. Instead of the dump it is.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 6:40 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Since there are no trees in the area between Cibo and the area just north of the docks. I feel like this would be a good spot to put in sheet piled wall along the riverbank. This will flatten the area, increasing the useable space. Put in a playground and /or some other type of family friendly amenities. You could even include a small dock.

Spend a few million and turn it into something for the area residents. Instead of the dump it is.
Sky Condos is definitely starting to fill up with toddlers, we always walk to The Forks for the playground but having something around Alexander Docks would be perfect.

Would be nice to have something like a tennis court or something like that too.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 8:24 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Slumlords won't take over condos like the Excelsior and the Strand, but they could take over more marginal rental apartment buildings out on the periphery. And then the situation really starts to deteriorate.
Within the building where I work in on James Ave near Waterfront, it is the Airbnb units that cause the problems, especially since the start of Covid.

Since there aren't any tourists out there, you can imagine who is most likely to be looking for short term accommodation these days - people selling stuff. Usually their bodies or a substance. And we have had issues with both in our building - and the increase in property crimes that come with the clientele.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Within the building where I work in on James Ave near Waterfront, it is the Airbnb units that cause the problems, especially since the start of Covid.

Since there aren't any tourists out there, you can imagine who is most likely to be looking for short term accommodation these days - people selling stuff. Usually their bodies or a substance. And we have had issues with both in our building - and the increase in property crimes that come with the clientele.
Not surprising at all. In a city like Winnipeg which has relatively little tourism at the best of times unlike the Londons, Miamis and Tokyos of the world, I see airbnb as being a recipe for that sort of mischief. I feel for anyone who has to live or work near that kind of nonsense.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 9:22 PM

I know of a few Exchange condo buildings who's boards voted to ban Airbnbs over the last year or two. One of them actually monitors Airbnb for owners still trying to do it.

I know someone that was living in Glasshouse but only lasted a few months because he said it was so horrible with all the Airbnbs. Constantly fights breaking out in hallways, damage and break-ins, etc.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 10:35 PM

I've stayed in airbnbs while abroad, mainly because it's a convenient and inexpensive way to travel as a family. You get a kitchen, separate bedrooms, a living space... all things that cost a fortune when you book them in a hotel. But you can tell that people who live in those buildings hate them... I've had people give me the stink-eye. You don't feel welcome. And those were in places with healthy levels of tourist activity. I couldn't imagine the situation here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan