HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Sutton Place Nova Centre in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
I am actually on the local organizing committee for an international scientific/medical conference that will be held here in Halifax. DYI
So how much space do you need? And where is it being held? As I said medical conferences are a bit different, but in general, most academic conferences would only have between 100 - 500 participants and rarely are they in the same room all at once. The trend is to run smaller simultaneous sessions where you move between themes that interest you.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 6:28 PM

i always thought that once the new convention center is built (if ever)
the metro center could expand into there, it may be getting old but it is still perfectly fine as what it is used for and plus has a great location for residents and tourists as well.
i think i also heard somewhere that the government wants to give it some upgrades anyway.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 7:38 PM

Tender deadline extended for Halifax convention centre
By OUR STAFF
Wed. Apr 7 - 4:07 PM

A tender deadline for Halifax's proposed new convention centre has been extended to July 19, the Dexter government said in a release Wednesday.

The deadline was extended in response to a request by the developer, it said. The original February 2010 deadline had previously been extended to April 19.
Changes in submission deadlines "are not unusual for large infrastructure projects and can be initiated by either the proponent or the province," the release said.

The planned development is to include two highrise structures and be built on the downtown site that used to be home to The Chronicle Herald. The old newspaper building has been demolished.

Though the provincial and municipal governments have signed a non-binding "memorandum of understanding," financing for the $300-million project is far from etched in stone. Nova Scotia’s NDP cabinet hasn’t made a decision about the convention centre, and the Harper government in Ottawa has yet to commit any money to the proposed complex.

The Argyle Street project has been controversial. Supporters say the development will attract people downtown; opponents don't like the height of the two towers, which they say will hurt views of Halifax Harbour from Citadel Hill.

( newsroom@herald.ca )

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Tender deadline extended for Halifax convention centre
By OUR STAFF
Wed. Apr 7 - 4:07 PM

A tender deadline for Halifax's proposed new convention centre has been extended to July 19, the Dexter government said in a release Wednesday.

The deadline was extended in response to a request by the developer, it said. The original February 2010 deadline had previously been extended to April 19.
Changes in submission deadlines "are not unusual for large infrastructure projects and can be initiated by either the proponent or the province," the release said.

The planned development is to include two highrise structures and be built on the downtown site that used to be home to The Chronicle Herald. The old newspaper building has been demolished.

Though the provincial and municipal governments have signed a non-binding "memorandum of understanding," financing for the $300-million project is far from etched in stone. Nova Scotia’s NDP cabinet hasn’t made a decision about the convention centre, and the Harper government in Ottawa has yet to commit any money to the proposed complex.

The Argyle Street project has been controversial. Supporters say the development will attract people downtown; opponents don't like the height of the two towers, which they say will hurt views of Halifax Harbour from Citadel Hill.

( newsroom@herald.ca )
Not surprised, its a big project.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 8:42 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

What is the tender for exactly? Construction? Design?

I want this to move forward but I also hope that they look at significantly improving the design. It doesn't need to be elaborate but it should be a modern looking building.

These developments are normally slow but this development might not be viable if they miss out on federal funding.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 10:14 PM
Honored Member

Based on the federal funding for the Ottawa Convention Centre, I would expect 1/3 from the federal government. If the same rules apply as they do for the Ottawa Convention Centre then the maximum would be $50 million (source http://www.johnbaird.com/newsroom/news_nov16_3_07.asp) . So part of the delay could be in the detailed designs and possibly to ensure that the total cost is kept at some limit such as $100 million (I would think that there are various details that could be cut out if necessary to keep the cost down). That would mean $33.3 million from Ottawa and the remaining $66.7 million from the NS and HRM governments. There are probably many details to be negotiated - such as who is paying for the parking component (600 parking spaces is what I remember).

It should be noted that the money for the Ottawa Convention Centre came from the Building Canada Infrastructure fund back in 2007 so it was not stimulus money. So there might not be a deadline in obtaining the federal portion. It would be interesting to see what the funding details are for other similar conventions centres across Canada (example - Calgary and Vancouver). If the federal government has made a precedent of funding such convention centres, then it would be difficult for them to say no to Halifax.

PS: An example of the positive influence of tourism is Niagara Falls. A large percentage of its business is based on tourism. It is currently building a 280,000 square foot convention centre with a 80,000 square foot exhibit hall that is set to open in April 2011. I have been to Niagara Falls a few times, in my opinion Halifax has just as many attractions (maybe more).

Last edited by fenwick16; Apr 7, 2010 at 11:49 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 2:03 AM

Halifax, being a city that sends NDP MPs to Ottawa, and Nova Scotia, saddled with a NDP provincial govt, probably won't get the same warm reception from the feds as Ottawa did when they went to call for funding assistance.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 2:51 AM

It would take major major money to extend the metro centre into the adjacent WTC.. Most of the WTC if not all of it would have to be torn down due to the how the structure is built.. Not to mention the main support beams for the Metro Centre run across the ice not end to end so the whole roof would have to be re-engineered to take the load to the north and south walls... Basically the whole roof would have to be taken off the building to do this... Also the hang load for concerts would likely be significantly reduced in this configuration due to structural limits ( as it is now there are load restrictions in the winter months due to snow load that has hampered a couple of concerts) I'm not saying this is impossible but monetary concerns and time to do this would make this option almost impossible.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 3:41 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Halifax, being a city that sends NDP MPs to Ottawa, and Nova Scotia, saddled with a NDP provincial govt, probably won't get the same warm reception from the feds as Ottawa did when they went to call for funding assistance.
Having the NDP in power likely won't help, as you have stated. On the plus side, they are getting $90 million from the federal government towards road expenditures for the current year. I try to avoid politics, but I really would have preferred to see Rodney MacDonald re-elected. He was in the right party (i.e. same as Stephen Harper) and was trying to promote Halifax as a financial capital.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 3:45 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman View Post
It would take major major money to extend the metro centre into the adjacent WTC.. Most of the WTC if not all of it would have to be torn down due to the how the structure is built.. Not to mention the main support beams for the Metro Centre run across the ice not end to end so the whole roof would have to be re-engineered to take the load to the north and south walls... Basically the whole roof would have to be taken off the building to do this... Also the hang load for concerts would likely be significantly reduced in this configuration due to structural limits ( as it is now there are load restrictions in the winter months due to snow load that has hampered a couple of concerts) I'm not saying this is impossible but monetary concerns and time to do this would make this option almost impossible.
I have to agree, I can't see this as being feasible. On top of that, it would still look like a converted hockey arena. I would much rather see a new football stadium instead of a new Metro Centre (however, I don't see it happening in the near future, just my opinion).

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Are you in the construction industry? Or know how the original one was built?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 11:40 AM

Downtown development hits brakes
Ramia: Investors waiting to see what happens with delayed convention centre
By CHRIS LAMBIE Business Editor
Thu. Apr 8 - 4:54 AM

Delays for the proposed Halifax convention centre will further stall development in the city’s core, says a downtown business advocate.

The province has extended Rank Inc.’s deadline a second time so the developer can come up with more detailed plans for a new centre. Rank’s original February 2010 deadline was previously extended to April 19. The company now has until July 19 to produce a design and facility management plan, financing plan and price for the project.

"You’ve got a lot of developers, certainly quietly — and it seems like it’s becoming more vocal — saying, ‘I want to wait and see what the province and the city are going to do downtown before I invest my money down there,’ " said Paul MacKinnon, executive director of the Downtown Halifax Business Commission.

Joe Ramia, Rank’s lead investor, said he’s hearing the same thing from other developers.

"Some of them would love to see this project go (ahead) to create excitement so they can kind of use it and get their own developments going," Ramia said.

"They’re all seeing it as kind of a sparkplug to get downtown moving again. They’re afraid to spend money not knowing where the city and where the province stand."

After July 19, the province will review Rank’s submission and decide whether it wants to negotiate a contract with the developer to build a new convention centre, said Cathy MacIsaac, a spokeswoman for the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal.

Similar projects have come with price tags between $100 million $200 million, said MacIsaac, noting the province is talking with the city and the federal government about helping with the cost.

Ramia’s whole Nova Centre Global Trade and Finance project, which also includes private-sector plans for a hotel with residential units, retail complex and financial centre office tower, is slated to cost between $300 million and $400 million to build.

Rank doesn’t want to rush into the project, Ramia said. His designers wanted to take advantage of efficiencies created if they focus on the whole complex.

"We want to do the right thing, not the fast thing," he said. "For us to delay, it’s costing me lots of money. As you know, I’m sitting on two city blocks."

Ramia still hopes to start pouring concrete in 2010, but the project won’t be completed until 2013.

"The beauty is, once they make a decision, then the activities will start. There is, in labour alone, close to possibly $200 million. That’s how much of an impact this will have on the province and the city."

The former Herald building on Argyle Street has been demolished to make way for the project.

While bar baron Victor Syperek is enjoying the sunshine on his patio, he’s anxious to see the convention centre built.

"I’m just astonished at the decline of downtown Halifax when the province and city are spending hundreds of millions of dollars in the outskirts," said Syperek, who owns the Economy Shoe Shop complex and Seahorse Tavern directly across the street from the former Herald building site.

"Unless they do something very quickly, downtown’s going to die."

World Trade and Convention Centre officials have said their present facilities are inadequate for many organizations interested in holding meetings in Halifax, resulting in about 80 per cent of potential convention business seeking accommodations elsewhere.

"We’re not at all concerned," Fiona Kirkpatrick Parsons, a Trade Centre spokeswoman, said of the delay announced Wednesday.

"The extension . . . really speaks to the need for a detailed and accurate response . . . It’s one of the most significant projects that would ever be undertaken in this city, or certainly to date, so therefore its got to be as thorough as possible."

( clambie@herald.ca)

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 11:59 AM
Honored Member

Although your question wasn't directed at me, I decided to post a picture of the Metro Centre configured for conventions. The picture shows how sections of seats and the hockey boards can be removed for trade shows and other events. This connects to the WTCC. I wanted to to find a floor plan for trade shows at the Metro Centre but I wasn't able to find one on the internet.

(source: flickr.com, http://farm1.static.flickr.com/131/3...0954b44b48.jpg )

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 12:27 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by planarchy View Post
So how much space do you need? And where is it being held? As I said medical conferences are a bit different, but in general, most academic conferences would only have between 100 - 500 participants and rarely are they in the same room all at once. The trend is to run smaller simultaneous sessions where you move between themes that interest you.
Still in the planning stages (the conference is in 2014), however this can be handled at the existing WTCC. Expectation, based on the last time this conference was held in North America (Boston in that case) is roughly 1000 people. The 2010 conference was in Croatia and attracted about 800 people, but when held in North America attendance tends to be higher. Typically for these sorts of conferences you have an opening plenary everyday that needs to accommodate all participants, and then things break off into multiple parallel sessions.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 10:35 PM

I'm actualy in the entertainment business and have worked in the Metro Centre and WTC many many times. The WTC is not structured to be able to do what needs to be done... the un-interupted floorplate is not in the right direction and is nowhere big enough to acomodate what needs to be done.... not to mention the main conference room of the WTC is 2 levels below the ice surface area. It is just not an option really... Mind you extending the WTC into the Metro centre is certainly a possible option.... You could conceivable take out all the seats put in a intermediate floor between the current ice surface and the roof and have two massive un-obstructed floor-plates with a much greater flexibility for large AV installations that are in demand for large conventions... This to me is a much more viable option.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 12:15 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
I'm actualy in the entertainment business and have worked in the Metro Centre and WTC many many times. The WTC is not structured to be able to do what needs to be done... the un-interupted floorplate is not in the right direction and is nowhere big enough to acomodate what needs to be done.... not to mention the main conference room of the WTC is 2 levels below the ice surface area. It is just not an option really... Mind you extending the WTC into the Metro centre is certainly a possible option.... You could conceivable take out all the seats put in a intermediate floor between the current ice surface and the roof and have two massive un-obstructed floor-plates with a much greater flexibility for large AV installations that are in demand for large conventions... This to me is a much more viable option.
You could expand the existing trade centre into the Metro Centre and build a new 15,000 seat Metro Centre on the Herald/Midtown site. With a little innovation the two sites could be linked through the Prince George. From the new Metro Centre you would go U/G to the Prince George and either through the parking garage or the main level (new walkway) of the Prince George to the existing U/G link to the Metro Centre. Call the new Metro Centre the MIDTOWN ARENA. Now the NDP could keep everyone happy and pour money into both projects.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
You could expand the existing trade centre into the Metro Centre and build a new 15,000 seat Metro Centre on the Herald/Midtown site. With a little innovation the two sites could be linked through the Prince George. From the new Metro Centre you would go U/G to the Prince George and either through the parking garage or the main level (new walkway) of the Prince George to the existing U/G link to the Metro Centre. Call the new Metro Centre the MIDTOWN ARENA. Now the NDP could keep everyone happy and pour money into both projects.
The last thing this city needs is more super blocks.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 3:27 AM
Honored Member

Ellis Don has been selected as the construction manager for the Nova Centre as stated by Joe Ramia and reported in the allnovascotia.com.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 5:04 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The Herald site is the same size as the current Metro Centre site, so it seems like a stretch to think that it would be suitable for a 15,000 seat arena. As Jonovision mentions, it's also a terrible idea to consolidate more blocks downtown.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The Herald site is the same size as the current Metro Centre site, so it seems like a stretch to think that it would be suitable for a 15,000 seat arena. As Jonovision mentions, it's also a terrible idea to consolidate more blocks downtown.
I think there are ways the two blocks could be consolidated - but not actually physically combined.

I'm sure they could condo it - so the road would remain the ownership of the City and then the air rights above could allow the physical building to cross property boundairies?

It's rare, but lets think outside the box here. Then that way, the build at grade could be seperated and maybe only at the 2nd or 3rd level would then connected - giving more room?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth