HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
how did i not know about this!?!?!?! i am in the real estate department at nustar!!!

this has been one tightly kept secret around here....can't wait to see the renderings - only disappointed that we'll be exurban.

I have my ways.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 1:28 PM

This area is developing like the Galleria area in Houston. A large corporate presence, mass retail, numerous hotels, potential light-rail, and a large university nearby will help this area grow nicely.

The only potential problem I see for NuStar to relocate is that Camp Bullis may try to fight any dense development. Height restrictions in the area would limit any building to 200ft, though I doubt we see anything that tall.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Sigh, can anyone imagine what our skyline would look like if just two of our F500 companies were downtown? A vertical USAA building could easily be the tallest in TX, and I can imagine a nice 60-story black building with "Clear Channel" on it too.
That has crossed my mind several times

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 5:35 AM

Quote:
I can imagine a nice 60-story black building with "Clear Channel" on it too.
Have you seen the Clear Channel headquarters in the Quarry?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 12:50 PM

^ Well yeah, I have a pretty active imagination though

Maybe if they ever consolidated their outdoor and airport divisions in SA...

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 2:43 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Hey, 5 stories of HQ and 55 stories of residential!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Hey, 5 stories of HQ and 55 stories of residential!
You left off the retail and billboard space.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 7:48 PM

South Texas Research Facility site

A few pics I took of the contruction. BTW, there are now three cranes at this site. I guess it makes sense because of the length of the building.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 2:56 AM

to bad it could not be taller

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 4:18 AM

That's crazy, Lando. I was just thinking as I was driving home tonight "I wonder what the construction site for the long horizontal building in the Med Center is looking like right now." Its like you read my mind or something.

I want to say this building will be more impressive once its built than it is on paper, but it seems doubtful you'll even be able to see it unless you're only a block or two away.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 3:18 PM

I just don't understand why this town does not want buildings with height. I was at the medical center in Houston and they are building some nice high rises. This building looks like something you can find in a small town.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 3:34 PM

Land availability/demand and cost is a big reason why. If they keep building like this, they will eventually run out of land and have to build up in the Med. Center. We might be 20-25 years away from that, maybe more, but it will eventually happen.
Existing hospitals will have to go up as well if they continue to build on parking lots. The VA is the latest to show their plans for more use on current property. It may not seem like much, but it will have an impact overall.

Population-wise, compared to Houston, we are a small town.
cake and keep it, too.

Last edited by miaht82; Aug 27, 2009 at 4:16 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 8:44 PM

I read a couple of years ago that vacant land in the medical center was just about gone, yet they are still building these land consuming buildings. Population doesn't have much to do with it, just go up 35 north and see a city that is a lot smaller with some very impressive tall buildings.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
I read a couple of years ago that vacant land in the medical center was just about gone, yet they are still building these land consuming buildings. Population doesn't have much to do with it, just go up 35 north and see a city that is a lot smaller with some very impressive tall buildings.
You're right, it is alot more complicated than I made it sound.
Development doesn't happen by accident. It happens by design and planning.
If San Antonio had smart growth development strategies, then we would see our main arterial corridors (not 410 or 1604) have the highest densities and development.
It would make sense, at this point, that the city enact a strategy to encourage high-density, mixed-use development along the corridors that will someday be transit corridors.
Arlington County, VA has policies that encourage mixed-use, pedestrian and transit-oriented development. They are land locked but still they are #18 for the largest percentage of population change for cities over 100,000 from July 2007-July 2008.
People build up where they are allowed to build up and where it makes sense to build up.
cake and keep it, too.

Last edited by miaht82; Aug 28, 2009 at 1:29 AM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 1:21 PM

Its official. Toyota IS moving Tacoma production to SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Reuters is confirming:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...ion_to_SA.html

By David Saleh Rauf - Express-News

Toyota Motor Corp. will stop making vehicles at a plant in Northern California and move production of the Tacoma pickup to San Antonio, according to a Reuters report.

The Reuters news agency based its report on a story from Japanese newspaper Asahi Shimbun, which cited an unnamed source on its Web site. According to the story, Toyota plans to stop producing its Corolla sedan and Tacoma pickup in March 2010 at the New United Motor Manufacturing Inc., an auto plant whose ownership has been split 50-50 between Toyota and General Motors since 1984. In June, General Motors announced it was pulling out of the joint venture.

Annual production of up to 150,000 Tacoma pickups will be transferred to San Antonio in June of next year, according to the reports. Production of the Corolla will move to Toyota's factory in Ontario, Canada, and a factory in Japan, Reuters reported. Toyota has yet to make public its plans for NUMMI. An official decision, Toyota has said, is expected to be announced later this month.
Story in MySa.com

SA seems to be on a roll. In two years, this place (SA) is going to be a bit crowded. I see this as a positive thing for SA. Production jobs and all of those suppliers? That is alot of people. I'm sure some of them are following the jobs.
I'm glad VIA is rolling out transit plans and improvements are being made around the city. I also expect that in 2 years, Ed Cross and Brownstone won't be the only ones trying to use urban infill to capitalize on this influx of people that are set to call SA home.
We're going to feel it though, and not everyone is going to like it.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 2:07 PM

And as someone mentioned a while back, that growth to the south from the Toyota plant, UP yard, and TAMU-SA will eventually reestablish downtown as the geographic center of activity in SA for locals, not just for tourists. This will undoubtedly help provide a good mix of development in DT (not just hotels and residential, office too) and a better balance of development in the metro overall.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 10:02 PM

Toyota's announcement was another economic win for San Antonio and the City government! Way to go!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2009, 12:12 AM

Growth

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Story in MySa.com

SA seems to be on a roll. In two years, this place (SA) is going to be a bit crowded. I see this as a positive thing for SA. Production jobs and all of those suppliers? That is alot of people. I'm sure some of them are following the jobs.
I'm glad VIA is rolling out transit plans and improvements are being made around the city. I also expect that in 2 years, Ed Cross and Brownstone won't be the only ones trying to use urban infill to capitalize on this influx of people that are set to call SA home.
We're going to feel it though, and not everyone is going to like it.
With all the growth that's happening here in this city is great. Bigger doesn't always mean better, but we're right on the heels of Philadelphia and should surpass them if not by 2010, it should happen in the next few years afterwards.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2009, 12:49 AM
James

I'm so excited more production is coming here. The infrastructure on the south side is amazing. The core should definitely benefit from Ft. Sam Houston. I'm hoping the south side retains its development code, and not too much land is wasted on cookie cutter homes.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2009, 2:04 AM

Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
I'm so excited more production is coming here. The infrastructure on the south side is amazing. The core should definitely benefit from Ft. Sam Houston. I'm hoping the south side retains its development code, and not too much land is wasted on cookie cutter homes.
Yeah and don't forget all the development that's going on at Brooks City Base

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio