HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 5:48 AM

Parkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
millions cheaper.

Its too bad the city didn't get together with them and the manitoba museum to build a parkade somewhere else. Then this building could have been on grade and we wouldn't be killing two blocks with parking...if the other one ever gets built.
I think the facility is great and I'm really ok with parking at grade in this location and example. If the bldg was constructed at grade we would have a huge box with zero street animation, brutal.

The parkade will service the users of the facility and also the area in the evenings...

They are creating 100 plus stalls. This should be great news for all of you still clamouring for a pump house parkade.

This adds traffic for the new Joe & Lily coffee shop that makes a huge addition to the streetscape and area plus the new brewery and tasting room at 125 Pacific.
They are scheduled to be open in December. (NEW BREWERY ON LILY!! NO PARKING LOT!!)

That's real urban development in the bldg trueviking called weird. We can agree to disagree on that one... It's a great little building and very thoughfully considered to its place and purpose. It could easily have become a parking lot...

I still don't get why this pumphouse parkade is so important to everyone. It's a terrible location and addition to the East Exchange.

Sports Manitoba are creating their own parking on the site...

Way better solution than Calvery temple / Hydro, "temporary" parking at friends of Fort Garry or the parkade proposed for St Regis that will be demolished and request "temporary" parking in two years when Sky City does not happen.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 6:22 PM

I walked by the J.W. Werier building at Main and Alexander... last time I was in there was a few years ago, and honest to goodness virtually everything on the store shelves was from 30-40 years ago. Just the strangest thing.

Anyway, I walked by today and noticed that the store was closed (although all the inventory appears to still be in there)... there was a sign directing inquiries to Direct Focus, which operates a block or two away. What's interesting is that the Direct Focus guys have been involved in some nice residential conversion projects downtown including, as it happens, the Edge on Princess right next door.

Does anyone know what's going on in there? This is the building I'm talking about... it is a gorgeous building in a pretty good location on the edge of the Exchange... it could be a spectacular residential building.

Source:archiseek.com

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 2:16 PM

Globe and Mail does feature on Waterfront drive http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle25058093/

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 5:23 PM
surely you agree with me

this is amazing news...to choose an exchange district location instead of IKEA or wherever is pretty unbelievable.

PS. I hate the new WFP web site.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...310590021.html

A fledgling company owned by the wife and son of Lululemon founder Chip Wilson is opening a clothing shop next week in the Exchange District that specializes in luxury streetwear, including machine-washable, cashmere-blended sweaters.

The Vancouver-based company is called Kit and Ace, and was launched last July by Shannon and JJ Wilson.

The new 2,800-square-foot Winnipeg shop is one of three the company plans to open next month in Canada and is located at 264 McDermot Ave.

The bulk of the store's products, which will include tank tops, T-shirts, shirts, sweaters and outerwear, are made from a proprietary fabric they developed themselves called Technical Cashmere.

It's basically cashmere blended with viscose and elastane, or Lycra. Wilson said the idea is to offer a garment that is functional without sacrificing quality. While the blended-fabric garments retain some of the same elements as cashmere, they can be machine-washed and dried, rather than having to be dry cleaned, he added.

For the first month or so, the McDermot Avenue shop will carry mainly tops, he said. But starting sometime in August, it will begin broadening its product offering to also include such things as pants, mid-weight cashmere tops, mini-jackets and coats.

The new shop will feature some locally made fixtures and pieces -- such things as lighting, photographs and a large dinner table. Wilson said the goal is to create an atmosphere where customers feel comfortable just "hanging out" and talking.

Kit and Ace currently has five shops in Canada, but hopes to have at least 20 by later this year.

Wilson said he's familiar with Winnipeg because he has friends here, and there was never any doubt they would open a shop here.

"There is a little bit of excitement in Winnipeg right now, and there's growth. And if you go to the Exchange District now, you're seeing new, cool things popping up. So I wanted to make sure we had a presence there early on."

He said they're not sure at this point if they'll stay at that location for the long term, or possibly relocate to a different part of the city. Another option might be to retain the Exchange District shop and open a second store elsewhere.

"It could take the path where the studio shop (in the Exchange) just ends up killing it and we love it there... and we also end up in Polo Park, or something to that effect," he added.

Know of any newsworthy or interesting trends or developments in the local office, retail or industrial real estate sectors? Let real estate reporter Murray McNeill know at the email address below, or at 204-697-7254.

murray.mcneill@freepress.mb.ca

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition June 29, 2015 B6

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 6:02 PM

@ TV, we talked about that earlier... Murray seeming to really be lurking here lately with his last few articles. (Not trying to call you out at all, just point that out haha)

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 6:30 PM

Maw's appears to be "temporarily" closed... some signage in the windows speaking to major changes but who knows. The place seemed to be reasonably busy when I went there or passed by in the past, so I'm not sure what to make of it...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 6:41 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
@ TV, we talked about that earlier... Murray seeming to really be lurking here lately with his last few articles. (Not trying to call you out at all, just point that out haha)
Yeah, I'm positive he and many others hang around here.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Maw's appears to be "temporarily" closed... some signage in the windows speaking to major changes but who knows. The place seemed to be reasonably busy when I went there or passed by in the past, so I'm not sure what to make of it...
It's been like that since the start of May. The owners (re: normally nightclub people) have no idea how to run that place properly, which is a shame since they did such a nice job inside and it's a nice casual place to go hang out, good for large groups too. But they were closing whenever they felt, like if it's slow one night just close down, so the inconsistency was turning people off.

It's all very bizarre though that they are only open Thurs-Sat now even though they have an LGA permit in the window for a new patio (no idea where it would go).

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 6:53 PM

Hermanos' big new patio is up and running.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 6:53 PM

Quote:
It's been like that since the start of May. The owners (re: normally nightclub people) have no idea how to run that place properly, which is a shame since they did such a nice job inside and it's a nice casual place to go hang out, good for large groups too. But they were closing whenever they felt, like if it's slow one night just close down, so the inconsistency was turning people off.

It's all very bizarre though that they are only open Thurs-Sat now even though they have an LGA permit in the window for a new patio (no idea where it would go).

I had no idea... I was last there sometime in May and everything seemed normal. Places that are only open Thu-Sat are the worst... I can understand it with clubs, but a restaurant? Yeesh.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 6:55 PM
What could go wrong?

I love Hermano's.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 6:56 PM

Quote:
I had no idea... I was last there sometime in May and everything seemed normal. Places that are only open Thu-Sat are the worst... I can understand it with clubs, but a restaurant? Yeesh.
Yeah the management there is brutal, I know from experience in throwing an event there. It sucks because it's such a good concept for the area. When they opened they had all beers on tap the same price which was awesome, then they slowly kept increasing prices to a ridiculous point. A few times I went they only had 2 beers on tap (they have 8 lines in the Eatery) and a few random bottles (like one of each) and Standard. It was brutal.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 8:46 PM

Quote:
It's for sale on ICX.ca $280k

Winnipeg/Business for sale on heart of exchange district. Great location! Fully licensed. One of the hottest restaurant/bar business. High traffic and great exposure. Plenty of space in needs of your own imagination with unlimited potential.

http://www.icx.ca/propertyDetails.as...Key=2048951516

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 4:00 PM

Does anyone know the details or seen plans of the conversion happening in the Adelaide Mini Storage building, just noticed the other day it's being completely gutted.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know the details or seen plans of the conversion happening in the Adelaide Mini Storage building, just noticed the other day it's being completely gutted.
It's a Sandhu Developments project, 51 rental units are on the way.

http://www.sandhudevelopments.com/st...-adelaide.html

It should be a nice little injection of life into that corner of the Exchange District. They're also working on a similar redevelopment at the northern end of the Exchange District. Sandhu is getting some grief for dCondo, but they have done some nice stuff in areas where others won't go.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 5:14 PM

Quote:
It's a Sandhu Developments project, 51 rental units are on the way.

http://www.sandhudevelopments.com/st...-adelaide.html

It should be a nice little injection of life into that corner of the Exchange District. They're also working on a similar redevelopment at the northern end of the Exchange District. Sandhu is getting some grief for dCondo, but they have done some nice stuff in areas where others won't go.
Oh didn't even realize that was the project, awesome. Yeah I agree^ they're doing lots of projects that many people wouldn't dare. Good thing Hydro made all that room at the end of the block for the residents to enjoy.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 6:07 PM

^ Haha... perfect place to live if you love large-scale road hockey games...

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 4:49 AM

Del's Electric has been doing a bunch of interior renovations, and I noticed this week that they're doing exterior work as well now: fixing up masonry, stuccoing the bottom, etc. One thing I noticed though is they're covering over the remaining unused doors. Wondering what people think, obviously it matters what the end result will be... Covers up those ugly doors but hopefully it doesn't mean that the space under renos is just gonna be more warehouse and they cover windows from inside.

Here's the before:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.89725...7i13312!8i6656

EDIT: Forgot that was Goodwill before, so it does appear that they are getting rid of all entrances to that side.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 6:30 PM

This space in Chinatown has been leased and construction is going on... no idea what it is. But that building has been completely gutted and refurbished, hoping that maybe same owner owns the one beside it on King... maybe a chance it gets done too.

This leads me to a topic not on here much recently, maybe deserving of its own thread: Chinatown. There's actually some cool parts of it and lots of potential for great streets, and I LOVE the Chinese-style streetlights and all the banners up there... I'd really like to see some plan for moving development up there now that the Exchange has its own momentum (not saying its all good and done haha).

But with the big Chinese (and Asian) population now living around that area, maybe it has some potential to grow... Does anyone know if it is part of Exchange BIZ?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 7:25 PM

Quote:
This space in Chinatown has been leased and construction is going on... no idea what it is. But that building has been completely gutted and refurbished, hoping that maybe same owner owns the one beside it on King... maybe a chance it gets done too.

This leads me to a topic not on here much recently, maybe deserving of its own thread: Chinatown. There's actually some cool parts of it and lots of potential for great streets, and I LOVE the Chinese-style streetlights and all the banners up there... I'd really like to see some plan for moving development up there now that the Exchange has its own momentum (not saying its all good and done haha).

But with the big Chinese (and Asian) population now living around that area, maybe it has some potential to grow... Does anyone know if it is part of Exchange BIZ?
Both of those buildings are on the same title, but with two separate addresses - 216 Pacific and 221 Rupert. They both belong to the same greater fools than the Aboriginal organization that had it in advance of them who were gifted the building by Barry Shenkarow. They had a $6MM renovation planned put together by what was Corbett Cibinel at the time, and they got rid of it when they realized what disastrous shape it was in compounded by its Heritage II status (at the time). The family that bought it ran into all kinds of engineering issues including picking up hundreds of thousands in bills related to shoring the sidewalks underneath and around it because the old tunnels around the building were caving in.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan