HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 2:55 PM

This is the exact reason why this city cannot prosper like all other major cities across Canada......

You can't hang on to everything from the past, well actually that’s not true…… you can, but unless you want to continue living in the past.

Yes, we have a lot of history here in this Province/City but there is just some thing’s you need to let go of and move on. Create new beginnings/history. Always keep the past close to your heart, the memories will be there forever. Plus it is not like we don't have museums and other places within the City/Province to show our past heritage.

Anyways, that's just my opinion.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 3:02 PM
Dreaming in Colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by c vist View Post
The developer is comfortable with this scale of building and they will not be condos as the freeps also stated, they will be apartments.
Get your terminology right.

An apartment can be a condo, and it can be a rental. Apartment is the form of structure, not the tenure.

Structure: apartment, townhouse, duplex, single-family dwelling, etc.

Tenure: rental, condo, freehold, leasehold, co-op, etc.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 3:17 PM

I do like the concept very much. Especially the fact that it lies outside the historic areal. Very nice. I hope it gets the green light.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 3:22 PM
Robot Hand is the Future

Thanks for posting the rendering c vist. I like the proposed market building and the reconstructed gate on the south end. Seems like it has the best elements of the three proposals at the most appropriate scale for that location. Who is the architect?

Out of curiosity, is Fort Garry Place all condo or are there rental units in it?

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mango View Post
Thanks for posting the rendering c vist. I like the proposed market building and the reconstructed gate on the south end. Seems like it has the best elements of the three proposals at the most appropriate scale for that location. Who is the architect?

Out of curiosity, is Fort Garry Place all condo or are there rental units in it?
All rental, I believe.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 4:03 PM
What could go wrong?

WTF? I missed the sneak peak. Damn i was off for half an hour...damn you work....damn yoooouuuuuu

No really...

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 4:32 PM
Dreamer

It's not a secret anymore and will be on TV tonight ... the selected 100 Main proposal is

You will see that the article in the freeps shows the Friends of UFG are misinformed ... the proposed residential tower is outside the historic fort and the plan is to allow the development of an interpretive park on that property and the building at 100 Main is up for negotiation.

Some views:

The developer is comfortable with this scale of building and they will not be condos as the freeps also stated, they will be rental apartments.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 4:40 PM
What could go wrong?

Beautiful proposal! It looks like a good mix for the site. Glad to see not every building in this city has to be Condo. I can't wait to hear more about it.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 4:43 PM
the first stamp is free

Is that building at top left side (big white rectangle on the plan) the existing curling club - or the existing city building?

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Is that building at top left side (big white rectangle on the plan) the existing curling club - or the existing city building?
Curling club.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 4:47 PM
What could go wrong?

double post

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 4:50 PM

Im kind of disappointed they are not condos. I was very interested in moving into this development as it’s a stones throw away from work, I could go home and sleep on breaks lol. Apartments though, not so good, id rather my monthly payment went towards paying off a mortgage as opposed to rent.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 4:57 PM

It's no doubt a nice looking project proposal, however I would have liked to see a new tallest tower there instead.......

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 4:57 PM
Central Metropolis

NOT BAD

I was hoping for the tower, but this certainly will do nicely, and maybe if something else comes to the table they can slate it for a new tallest in one of our cities numerous other downtown empty lots!!!

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 5:10 PM
surely you agree with me

i cant believe that they can make rentals viable financially....they must know something the rest of the development community doesnt.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 5:22 PM
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
i cant believe that they can make rentals viable financially....they must know something the rest of the development community doesnt.
The Developer pretty much only does rentals and they are not sub-standard housing either, and they also maintain their properties. I'm working with the developer on another property they aquired from the City and the plan is for 4 phases of 6 storey apartments that will have up to 440 units. Our office today went from extremely busy to uncontrollably busy.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 5:32 PM

Compromise on Upper Fort Garry site

Updated at 12:08 PM

By Bartley Kives

In decision aimed at pleasing both developers and heritage proponents, the city has laid the groundwork for both a new residential building and a heritage park in and around the former site of Upper Fort Garry.
On Thursday morning, city council’s downtown development committee approved the sale of surplus land adjacent to the fort’s old footprint to Crystal Developers, which plans to build a 15-storey apartment building.

That structure would go up on the current site of a parking lot, immediately southwest of the former fort’s footprint. Meanwhile, the city will pursue a plan to develop a heritage park on the rest of the surplus land.

This plan would protect Upper Fort Garry’s North Gate, the sole remaining structure from the fort that stood from 1834 to 1882 at what is now Main Street, south of Broadway.

Architect Friesen Tokar envisions a garden at the north end of the revitalized site, an interpretive centre on the main floor of a former Public Works building at 100 Main Street and a farmers’ market to the west of that structure.

A group called Friends of Upper Fort Garry Gate had sought the entire site, including the non-historic southwest portion for a heritage park.
Coun. Russ Wyatt, the downtown development chair, said the decision makes room for a compromise.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 6:12 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post

What is with the fridge pic?

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 7:45 PM

hopefully this will be done by sept 08!

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 8:01 PM
surely you agree with me

just a joke.....it kind of has the massing of a frigidaire.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan