HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
But Chicago isn't fortunate like we are to have it's States most traveled interstate running along side of it's river. Spending time down by the river is so much more enjoyable when we're 10' away from a highway and can't hear yourself think. I find it calming, relaxing.

The trees shown are in a "box" because they are on a platform and that's the only way for a tree to have any soil.

That section of 29th St. over the highway, between Market St. and Chestnut is presently being rebuilt by PennDOT. Does any one know if any changes are being built into the reconstruction?
That “loud” highway is already partially capped. The image depicts it being fully capped so problem solved.. at least from Arch to Walnut which is a decent little stretch. Let’s just hope it actually comes to fruitation as it’s depicted in that image.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 1:37 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
But Chicago isn't fortunate like we are to have it's States most traveled interstate running along side of it's river. Spending time down by the river is so much more enjoyable when we're 10' away from a highway and can't hear yourself think. I find it calming, relaxing.

The trees shown are in a "box" because they are on a platform and that's the only way for a tree to have any soil.

That section of 29th St. over the highway, between Market St. and Chestnut is presently being rebuilt by PennDOT. Does any one know if any changes are being built into the reconstruction?
What platform? I'm looking at the ones in the render adjacent to 30th Street Station and across the street from it.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
What platform? I'm looking at the ones in the render adjacent to 30th Street Station and across the street from it.
if you've ever been around 30th, that whole area is a platform. also to look at a master plan that won't implemented completely for a decade or more and critique the way street trees are planted is missing the point. many aspects of this will change before it becomes a reality.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
if you've ever been around 30th, that whole area is a platform. also to look at a master plan that won't implemented completely for a decade or more and critique the way street trees are planted is missing the point. many aspects of this will change before it becomes a reality.
What do think the “point” is? I think it’s fair to look at the renderings and hope the landscaping is implemented as shown. A lesser effort will be a big disappointment. Yes, there will be changes. Certainly none of those buildings are set in stone. At least some of the landscaping is something that can be done in the early stages, and I hope they do so. That area looks rough. Starting with the park space i front od he Bulletin Buikding, as they are doing, is a good move

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
What do think the “point” is? I think it’s fair to look at the renderings and hope the landscaping is implemented as shown. A lesser effort will be a big disappointment. Yes, there will be changes. Certainly none of those buildings are set in stone. At least some of the landscaping is something that can be done in the early stages, and I hope they do so. That area looks rough. Starting with the park space i front od he Bulletin Buikding, as they are doing, is a good move
A master plan is almost always not a finished design. It's some sort of hazy template. It shows you generally what they want to do. So criticism is best left for the broad strokes. To criticize the specific way in which some landscaping is configured would be getting to micro for my money. Besides as pointed out, there's an entirely practical reason why street trees on this stretch of market need a planter.

In my book, the broad strokes look pretty perfect. I hope everything is implemented as shown. The sooner the better. But it's almost certain that some aspect of this will change before it becomes a reality.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 2:11 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:

Quote:
Sure, I've been around and used 30th Street Station, but never gave what's underneath street side much thought. So, underneath the sidewalks and adjacent chestnut street is concrete and steel girders and no earth whatsoever?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Sure, I've been around and used 30th Street Station, but never gave what's underneath street side much thought. So, underneath the sidewalks and adjacent chestnut street is concrete and steel girders and no earth whatsoever?
I don't think anything north of Ludlow or Chestnut and East of 30th is at grade (except lower 30th). When the weather's nicer you should explore lower 30th. It's really something.

Also, I love the master plan render on the previous page. The city looks so civilized without traffic lights and street signs!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Think train tracks, highway and local roads. if you dig, you will find dirt, sometime. There's just no empty space down there, which is why the drawings show a very thin park next to the river.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 8:43 PM

Quote:
A master plan is almost always not a finished design. It's some sort of hazy template. It shows you generally what they want to do. So criticism is best left for the broad strokes. To criticize the specific way in which some landscaping is configured would be getting to micro for my money. Besides as pointed out, there's an entirely practical reason why street trees on this stretch of market need a planter.

In my book, the broad strokes look pretty perfect. I hope everything is implemented as shown. The sooner the better. But it's almost certain that some aspect of this will change before it becomes a reality.
"They" have already come out with two concept proposals for the plaza on the south side of 30th ST. Station, and the time line on that is so far in the distance that who knows if it will ever happen. Maybe Amazon will want their signature building on that plot of land/air rights.

The point being----we're correct, plans will change and change again. I believe everything east of 30th St. is not really considered to be part of Schuylkill Yards; if what we're looking at is actually part of any plans it would be part of the 30th St. Station District plans. And as far as I've heard nothing is even being planned. Amtrak is looking to hire someone who will help them find a developer, so we're years away from anything happening along the river banks. Master plans for 30th st. Station seem to happen almost every ten years.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Think train tracks, highway and local roads. if you dig, you will find dirt, sometime. There's just no empty space down there, which is why the drawings show a very thin park next to the river.
Yea, pretty much everything from Chestnut to Arch and from 76 to 30th is over the Amtrak tracks/highway.

Pretty sure the EVO, parking garage, and FMC building foundations are actually at the track level, not the station street level.
Lower 30th st (road) at Ludlow:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9540...7i13312!8i6656
**That steel framework looks like it has seen better days.

EVO & FMC:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9529...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 11:30 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
Yea, pretty much everything from Chestnut to Arch and from 76 to 30th is over the Amtrak tracks/highway.

Pretty sure the EVO, parking garage, and FMC building foundations are actually at the track level, not the station street level.
Lower 30th st (road) at Ludlow:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9540...7i13312!8i6656
**That steel framework looks like it has seen better days.

EVO & FMC:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9529...7i13312!8i6656
Ha. I'm familiar with the photos you showed. Guess I'm dumbfounded at myself to have not put 2 and 2 together and a picture is worth a thousand words. The photo with the rusted steel supporting the road on top is remarkable and a bit frightening. Hopefully, that's surface rust and doesn't affect the integrity to support the weight above. Hope that gets inspected and fixed if it is not structurally sound. The things we take for granted when we are topside!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 2:20 PM

We made the short list! So did Pittsburgh. Ten percent of the chosen few are in Pennsylvania.

Amazon narrows HQ2 search to 20 cities, moving to next phase in contest for $5B economic prize

https://www.geekwire.com/2018/amazon...conomic-prize/

Quote:
Amazon has selected 20 cities to move to the next phase in its HQ2 selection process, the latest twist in a headquarters search that has turned into a national curiosity.

The finalists, named by the company a few moments ago, are Toronto, Columbus, Indianapolis, Chicago, Denver, Nashville, Los Angeles, Dallas, Austin, Boston, New York City, Newark, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Montgomery County, Washington, D.C., Raleigh, Northern Virginia, Atlanta, and Miami.

“In the coming months, Amazon will work with each of the candidate locations to dive deeper into their proposals, request additional information, and evaluate the feasibility of a future partnership that can accommodate the company’s hiring plans as well as benefit its employees and the local community. Amazon expects to make a decision in 2018,” the company says in a news release.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 2:26 PM

3 separate selections in the DC area. Also, surprised Detroit didn't make the cut. Their video was impressive:

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
We made the short list! So did Pittsburgh. Ten percent of the chosen few are in Pennsylvania.

Amazon narrows HQ2 search to 20 cities, moving to next phase in contest for $5B economic prize

https://www.geekwire.com/2018/amazon...conomic-prize/

and Apple

actually think Apple east here might be a better chance

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...hq/1041261001/

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:43 PM

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think that DC is the most likely option. Bezos owns the Washington Post, and they gave the area 3 separate bids in the top 20. That tells me that they're seriously considering DC. Still, I'm rooting for Philly all the way.

Anyone else surprised at the lack of Charlotte?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Yup.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post

Being on this list has it's own advantages, even if we don't seal the deal. Still hoping.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
You know, the more I think about it, the more I think that DC is the most likely option. Bezos owns the Washington Post, and they gave the area 3 separate bids in the top 20. That tells me that they're seriously considering DC. Still, I'm rooting for Philly all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Yup.
Why? Little to no public transportation, not a great infrastructure or talent pipeline, no elite universities nearby. It's just a cheap, warmish weather city with a big airport. Frankly, Durham makes more sense with the massive research institutions built-in.

I'm surprised LA made the list. Some other top5 sunbelt cities Houston and Phoenix also missed the cut.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
and Apple

actually think Apple east here might be a better chance

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...hq/1041261001/
As discussed - it's a technical support/call center HQ - not exactly Jonny Ives and crew. Speaking of Charlotte...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
As discussed - it's a technical support/call center HQ - not exactly Jonny Ives and crew. Speaking of Charlotte...
I thought I read the plan was to "start" with a support center, so it may be more. Of course, no specifics beyond that were offered.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals