HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 5:39 AM

BC place is going to get a new name look in the other thread for details

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 6:14 AM

Tri-Cities population grows by 1.1% in 2018

BC Stats says the five municipalities had a total population more than 251K

Grant Granger / Tri-City News FEBRUARY 9, 2019

The population of the Tri-Cities grew by more than 2,600 people in 2018 according to BC Stats
Photograph By THE TRI-CITY NEWS FILE PHOTO

The Tri-Cities squeezed another 2,647 people into its five ’burbs in 2018 which put its population growth right in the middle of the pack for municipalities in Greater Vancouver.

The five cities increased to a total of 251,020 from 2017 to 2018, according to recently released annual population estimates by BC Stats. That’s a boost of nearly 1.1% for the region.

Although Metro Vancouver’s overall population went up by 1.5% to 2,654,226, that average was bolstered big time by Surrey’s population growing by nearly 14,000 (2.7%) people alone. The median for all the regional district’s communities was 1.1% ranging from 0.5% to 1.8%, with the exception of UBC (2.4%) and Bowen Island (2.2%).

BC Stats estimated the province’s total population is pushing five million at 4,991,687 which is 1.4% more than 2017.

https://www.tricitynews.com/news/tri...018-1.23625842

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 8:19 AM

What brain drain? More young professionals moving to Vancouver than leaving, analyst says

Statistics don’t support exodus narrative, says founder of census mapper
Clare Hennig · CBC News · Posted: Feb 10, 2019

Anecdotally, everyone seems to know someone who’s left the city because it’s simply too expensive to live here. (Darryl Dyck/Canadian Press)

It's a familiar story: High housing costs are pushing more and more young professionals out of Metro Vancouver.

But the anecdotes describing Vancouver's brain drain aren't backed up by the numbers, according to a data analyst.

"If we look at the census data, we see that, of course, people are leaving, but they're all getting replaced — and then some," said Jens von Bergmann, founder of the Vancouver-based census mapper MountainMath.

Von Bergmann started looking into the data after hearing numerous stories about young people leaving because of the cost of living.

"When the first story came out, I tried to verify the numbers," he said — and the numbers simply didn't match the narratives being touted, von Bergmann found.

Metro Vancouver's population is on the rise, he said, and more young university graduates are coming in than leaving.

And while the job vacancy rate in the region is just over five per cent — which von Bergmann describes as "astronomical" compared to other cities like Toronto, which hovers around three per cent — that doesn't tell the full story.

"If we look at what kind of jobs [are vacant], it's mostly the lower skilled jobs in retail that have a big problem retaining people," he said.

"It's not the professionals or the highly educated people we should worry about most."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...009496?cmp=rss

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 9:08 PM

While young professionals may be net-positivie for migration to Metro Vancouver, it's a false dichotomy to argue, in as many words, that since the exodus narrative isn't borne out by stats, there isn't a problem." Consider how much stronger would be Vancouver's economy if less out-migration of young professionals were occurring. There's an opportunity cost for the city to the high cost of living and political inaction on housing affordability.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 9:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
While young professionals may be net-positivie for migration to Metro Vancouver, it's a false dichotomy to argue, in as many words, that since the exodus narrative isn't borne out by stats, there isn't a problem." Consider how much stronger would be Vancouver's economy if less out-migration of young professionals were occurring. There's an opportunity cost for the city to the high cost of living and political inaction on housing affordability.
I suspect the largest reason there is emigration is our low wages and high taxes in comparison to America, Alberta, or Toronto. Young professionals tend to rent. Housing prices barely entered the equation.

Many of my friends from univ (including me) were offered 6 figure jobs at Toronto banks or Amazon in Seattle straight out of school whereas I'm making much less staying here.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 10:03 PM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post

Exactly. Those puff piece opinion articles that state we are getting a huge amount of people moving to BC in the coming decades so we must build like crazy never take into account the huge number of seniors that live in BC that die and have fewer kids to replace them or the fact that people already living here have made the choice to have only one kid for 2 parents or the huge number of people who simply never have kids these days. It levels itself out more then the industry will ever let you think. The threat of losing their market share of selling investment properties with poor fundamentals is a scary one to someone who built their business on selling to foreigners who don't know our market well enough so they will pay for as many articles to be published to 'gaslight' us into thinking it's our fault, not the industries' fault for having an unsustainable business model.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 2:22 AM

It has been discussed here a few times why they don't use conveyor belts during excavation phase. I guess our construction lot sizes are too small for it to be practical, but in Seattle such was used with one of the Amazon towers.

Picture from last summer by forumer geoffloftus.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 8:14 PM

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 8:44 AM

Air Canada Business Class review - new york to Melbourne via Vancouver

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 9:22 AM

this is kind of a big thing isn't it? News crews or paparazzi?

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 10:00 AM

huh

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 5:13 AM

they have some good vids on their page, worth subscribing

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 5:49 AM

I had to post this somewhere just to blow off a little steam. I had a rather nasty experience at the UDP tonight with one member of the city staff.

The back story is that a while ago in the past, and it's happened on several occasions after a late meeting, staff have allowed /encouraged me to grab some food after the meeting was over, even though it's not generally allowed (there is a sign saying food is only for staff).

Tonight I grabbed some, not thinking to ask, when one of the recording secretaries came into the room and said, jeez your taking food again, is that the only reason you come here? They are already aware of who City Duo are, and I reminded them that, no, the blog is why I spent hours here.

In response, I was told several staff laugh out of me, joking that I'm only there to take scraps home. I asked if they were kidding, and they weren't. Needless to say, I left what I had, apologized for offending them, and feel rather upset about this now.

Obviously I have no right to the food, nor need for it, other than a snack on the way home. Having been given food / told it was fine in the past, I naturally assumed I was in a unique spot, having spent over a year attending 4 to 5 hour long meetings in the room every second Wednesday. Needless to say, I feel rather hurt and embarrassed that some in the city staff may have been laughing about me behind my back.

It's dumb to think, but I can't help but wonder if City Duo is just a joke to many, a tool to be mocked and thrown away, rather than two respected individuals who, at great personal sacrifice, only hope to make their city a little bit better.

Thanks for letting me vent my hurt feelings / anger.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 5:52 AM

I doubt the intent was hurtful on the secretary's part. There's always a spiteful little c**t in every workplace, but I think most of the people there realize that you're trying to do good work - they're just having a laugh at the one dude who always goes back for seconds.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 6:01 AM

Keep up the good work of keeping us informed, Feathered Friend! There is always "food" for thought for everyone on this forum.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 6:28 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Sorry to hear that, and you aren't alone. There is certain members of city staff and councilors that mock members of the general public that attend open houses, meetings etc. I've been standing there during conversations where they belittle citizens for wasting so much time attending every meeting and left wondering that they probably say the same about me when I'm not around. It got to the point I only attend the meetings I have a stake in and have given up the fight to make every project just a lil better. Hope you keep up the fight longer then I did and good luck.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 7:01 AM

This recent one[event/incident] and the other event recently posted by you Feather friend are both very sad events. I have written before to you guys and continue to say you both do so much and to be given so much abuse it's totally uncalled for. Thanks for continuing to work so hard and contributing to making Vancouver a better place. If the people that have been so angry and treating you both so badly contributed as much they may be more appreciative of how hard the work you both are contributing. Thanks again for all your work.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 7:27 PM

I'm sure there are plenty of city employees who regard the "public input" consultations as just another PITA thing they have to check off their list, and become cynical.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I'm sure there are plenty of city employees who regard the "public input" consultations as just another PITA thing they have to check off their list, and become cynical.
"Plenty"? I'd say 99.9999%. The consultations are largely a sham, except when they get co-opted by "social justice" groups.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 7:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
"Plenty"? I'd say 99.9999%. The consultations are largely a sham, except when they get co-opted by "social justice" groups.
Exactly. I swear the city just sends its low level staff and not the real decision makers. I do wonder if they get overtime for being there.

Last edited by misher; Mar 21, 2019 at 8:24 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion