HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Having lived in Australia for a few years now, it is impossible to compare with Canada. Lifestyle, economics, culture, etc don't match with Canada.

Canada is tied to the USA on many more levels like it or not. Comparing Saskatoon to Wagga Wagga just don't cut it. But compare Saskatoon to Des Moines is a much more logical connection.

Apples vs Oranges vs Bananas.....
I will disagree. Having relatives in Australia and having lived in the country for several years on Working Holiday Visas, the cultural mindset is far more similar to Canada than the US. They think and rationalise more like us than we do with Americans. I always feel much more at home in Australia (and New Zealand) than I do anywhere in Yankeeland.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 7:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Base View Post
Think about things we care about, like hockey for example, being tied with the US allows Canada to be a big part of and benefit from the strongest hockey league in the world.
You do realise that the NHL has its origins as a CANADIAN league and business until the Yankees took it over and now it's all about growing the game in Pensicola, Albuquerque and El Paso.

Being tied to the US allows Canada........what a passively defeatist statement.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 8:03 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
What identity Canada has is dying because most Canadians are too lazy and brainwashed to care. Why even bother being an independent country anymore? Just let the US Annex us and be done with it. These types of issues remind me that I really hate Canada and Canadians sometimes.
All is not lost yet, we may be to the US as Ukraine is to Russia, but with some important differences. It isn't true that Canadians want to be American, they just like the bigger salaries, larger job markets, and the warmer weather. Have you never known people to go to the US and come back because they didn't like it? Either we have something they don't have, or they just have too much of what they have, and we're better off without it. We don't have the mass shootings, people dying because they can't afford their cancer treatment, discriminatory education, embedded racism, and a conspiratorial culture etc. The US is hypocritical, and doesn't care about its citizens ("Ask not what your country can do for you"). Canadians have a better relationship with our government, and authority, than they do, because our government takes better care of us.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 10:57 AM

The population of the St. John’s metro area is now estimated at 223,667, according to the city’s 2023 economic review. That’s up 2.1% since 2022.

https://www.stjohns.ca/en/business-i...mic-Review.pdf

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 12:33 PM

Good start of the year in Quebec City on that front: construction began on 563 housing units, only 25 of which were SFH.

https://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/salle-de...baisse-janvier

Quote:
...and speaking of housing starts. Calgary is continuing where it left off in 2023, except that it was higher than usual #2 Vancouver. Not it sure if it's a trend or a blip, but it's the 2nd time in the last 3 months that Calgary was higher than Vancouver. Toronto is big man on campus as usual. nobody's going to knock Toronto off that perch anytime soon. Edmonton and Ottawa quite low for some reason, likely just an abirritation.

City.......... SFH... Semi-det... Rowhome... Apartment... Total
Toronto.......... 281..... 6........ 384.......... 3334.......... 4005
Calgary.......... 487......112...... 249........ 1103.......... 1951
Vancouver...... 121..... 68......... 105........ 1169.......... 1463
Montreal........ 63...... 10......... 20......... 1104.......... 1197
Edmonton...... 242..... 82......... 102........ 257........... 683
Ottawa/Gat.... 93...... 18......... 26.......... 264........... 501
Winnipeg....... 99...... 12.......... 47.......... 112........... 270

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 4:47 PM
It's Hammer Time

Millennials outnumber baby boomers for first time: Statistics Canada
Millennials outnumber baby boomers for first time

https://www.thespec.com/news/canada/...057f64e28.html

OTTAWA - Statistics Canada says there are now more millennials than baby boomers in the country, ending the 65-year reign of the post-Second World War generation as the largest cohort in the population.

The federal agency noted the change in its population estimate for July 1, 2023, broken down by age and gender released Wednesday.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 5:12 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
You do realise that the NHL has its origins as a CANADIAN league and business until the Yankees took it over and now it's all about growing the game in Pensicola, Albuquerque and El Paso.

Being tied to the US allows Canada........what a passively defeatist statement.
Realize.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 3:45 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Population today-estimated*, (vs. 1996**)
Newfoundland and Labrador 542,060 (551,792)
Prince Edward Island 176,790 (134,557)
Nova Scotia 1,073,111 (909,282)
New Brunswick 847,349 (738,133)
Quebec 9,014,523 (7,138,795)
Ontario 15,946,096 (10,753,573)
Manitoba 1,481,467 (1,113,898)
Saskatchewan 1,229,086 (990,237)
Alberta 4,826,891 (2,696,826)
British Columbia 5,626,583 (3,724,500)
Yukon 45,326 (30,766)
Northwest Territories 44,454 (39,672)
Nunavut 40,950 (24,730)
Canada 40,894,702 (28,846,761)

*Canada population clock: https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/...018005-eng.htm

**https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...cal_population

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 3:51 PM

The fact that Ontario has grown by almost 60% in 30 years is.. insane. It's even more insane when you realize the infrastructure serving those 6 million or so extra people is almost the same as it was in 1996..

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 4:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

yep. adding nearly the entire present day population of British Columbia to Ontario, with scant increase in infrastructure. Much more with much less, alas.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 5:02 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...tion-1.7122022

Edmonton estimated that it added 4.7% increase in population in 2023.

This is roughly 1.15 million people by this estimate.

If we assume that this is about the CMA, then it is roughly 1.6 million.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 6:22 PM

The near-doubling in size of Alberta is also just as crazy, even if not as impressive from a pure numbers perspective compared to Ontario.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 8:09 PM

Around 10 years ago, when the price of oil was high and we were less than a year from its collapse, I thought it was inevitable that Saskatchewan would overtake Manitoba as a second most populated Prairie province within 7 or so years given its supercharged economy. Ten years later and the gap has only widened. This surprises me given that other sectors of the Saskatchewan economy have continued to do well for much of the past decade and the average salary is higher than that in Manitoba.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...tion-1.7122022

Edmonton estimated that it added 4.7% increase in population in 2023.

This is roughly 1.15 million people by this estimate.

If we assume that this is about the CMA, then it is roughly 1.6 million.
Edmonton got that new lrt line just in time. lol

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 6:03 AM

Ontario, Alberta, BC and Quebec are all very impressive adding millions of people.

Nice to see the territories all having relatively decent increases.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 3:04 PM

The most incredible thing for me in this data is that not a single province recorded an increase in median population age from 2022-2023. If the estimates are accurate, PEI and Nova Scotia got 0.7 years younger in the span of 12 months. Manitoba and Saskatchewan, already the youngest provinces, got even a little younger. Even Newfoundland dropped 0.1 years. The only province that didn't record a drop in median age was Alberta, but given the population boom of late there, I'd be surprised if the numbers next year don't record a drop there too. It's quite a shift from years past. Only the territories got older, but they can sort of afford it, being so young already.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Around 10 years ago, when the price of oil was high and we were less than a year from its collapse, I thought it was inevitable that Saskatchewan would overtake Manitoba as a second most populated Prairie province within 7 or so years given its supercharged economy. Ten years later and the gap has only widened. This surprises me given that other sectors of the Saskatchewan economy have continued to do well for much of the past decade and the average salary is higher than that in Manitoba.
Saskatewan doesn't have a large city which seems to be the most important factor when attracting new people.
and Regina and Saskatoon are not that far from much larger cities.

Regina and Saskatoon will eventually get to large city status at their current rates of growth however.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 6:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Saskatoon is rapidly pulling away from Regina, in the big city sweepstakes in Saskatchewan. When I was a kid, Regina was significantly larger than Saskatoon.

CMA
Saskatoon 317,480 (295,095 in 2016)
Regina 249,217 (236,695 in 2016)

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 7:09 PM
Unregistered User

Saskatchewan as a whole is comparatively stagnant, but at the city scale Saskatoon is for the most part holding its ground in terms of growth, acknowledging that all smaller cities must post higher growth rates in order to close the gap between larger cities, as a higher growth rate in a smaller city will often translate to lower absolute population increases compared to lower growth rates in larger cities.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
The fact that Ontario has grown by almost 60% in 30 years is.. insane. It's even more insane when you realize the infrastructure serving those 6 million or so extra people is almost the same as it was in 1996..
Even more impressive, is Alberta nearly doubling in population.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada