HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 3:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I see the Bangladeshis are mad at us now too. Pretty soon nobody in Asia will be talking with us.

Sunny ways and sunny days.............

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 3:22 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Because they got elected expressly to do that? It’s a very powerful reason to implement anything, as a politician.

I recall a quote from former QC mayor (“King Regis I”) when right after an election (that got him reelected), implementing some drastic cuts caused a segment of the population to whine very loudly: “During the campaign we clearly said we’d do this if elected; and we got elected, so we’re doing it.” That’s how it should be IMO
Yet, to my knowledge, the Conservatives have not articulated such a position publicly. Either because they feel it would hurt their electoral chances, or they don't actually want to implement such a policy.

I mean, we near idolize Jean Chretien who promised to cut the GST in 1993, along with the myriad other promises in the Red Book. The mark of great politicians is the ability to balance the promises made versus the downsides of actually keeping them.

So, yeah, he crammed his GST promise right up somewhere. It was the right decision as much as it made him a liar. History has vindicated his choice IMO. The mark of great leadership is to balance what needs to be done versus what you promised the people.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 3:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I see the Bangladeshis are mad at us now too. Pretty soon nobody in Asia will be talking with us.

Sunny ways and sunny days.............
And between a quarter and a third of our population will soon be of Asian origin.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 3:25 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And between a quarter and a third of our population will soon be of Asian origin.
Asia’s a big continent, though, so you’ll have to specify where, i.e. South Asia, East Asia, SE Asia, Central Asia, North Asia (Siberia??). The dynamics are very different from one part to another.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 3:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Asia’s a big continent, though, so you’ll have to specify where, i.e. South Asia, East Asia, SE Asia, Central Asia, North Asia (Siberia??). The dynamics are very different from one part to another.
I know. If we go by continental definitions, I am actually part Asian myself!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I know. If we go by continental definitions, I am actually part Asian myself!
I have African-born ancestors in my family tree, I should probably apply for more free money from the Feds (I just have to say I “feel black”, which is justifiable — African ancestors!)

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 3:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I have African-born ancestors in my family tree, I should probably apply for more free money from the Feds (I just have to say I “feel black”, which is justifiable — African ancestors!)
Aren't we all Africans (if we go back far enough)???

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
....Double down on free markets, as if resource-and-housing-bubble Canada 2023 isn't the end product of that very same 'free market' mentality. The Conservatives will finally do something about immigration, except that they haven't said anything of the sort and one wonders why they'd cut off the spigot of cheap labour? ...
Cutting off the flood of cheap labour would pretty quickly result in rising wages which everyone likes (even if they don't correlate it with rising prices). Such an action would help deal the death blow to the NDP which seems to have pretty much abandoned "the workers" under their Rolex wearing leader.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 4:04 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Cutting off the flood of cheap labour would pretty quickly result in rising wages which everyone likes (even if they don't correlate it with rising prices). Such an action would help deal the death blow to the NDP which seems to have pretty much abandoned "the workers" under their Rolex wearing leader.
Business doesn't like rising wages.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 4:11 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Nor do central banks.

Not enough migrants arriving to keep pay down - Central Bank

THE number of people willing to move here to work is not going to hit levels seen during the last boom and will not keep wages down, economists at the Central Bank are forecasting.

The Irish Independent, 2019.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 4:32 PM

Quote:
No, but the Cons seem to be moving away from being business toadies to trying to cater to what used to be the NDP working class voter.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, tech and AI is going to reduce the need for cheap low wage workers. Example, I went to Home Depot looking for a garburetor. The very nice South Asian male who came up top help me looked completely mystified when I asked to find garburetors. I might as well have asked him where they kept the Holy Grail given his level of mystification over my request. A robot programmed for voice recognition could have taken me there. The cost of that stuff will keep coming down, and they don't want benefits or time off.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 5:06 PM

Quote:
No, but the Cons seem to be moving away from being business toadies to trying to cater to what used to be the NDP working class voter.
Honestly? I see little actual policy evidence of this. Just rhetoric. I am not at all that certain, the current version of the CPC is actually interested in pushing working class interests substantially, more than fighting culture wars on such, to push corporate interests.

A good example is how a lot of their housing policies have been trial ballooned. Lots of talk about tearing down gatekeepers who stop housing being built. And then they caveat it by city size, exclude suburbs, etc.

I can see something like they crack down a tad on student immigration and then quietly ramp up TFWs at the same time. Do you honestly imagine a scenario where the CPC will allow a labour shortage to the point that every fast food employee is getting $25/hr?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Honestly? I see little actual policy evidence of this. Just rhetoric. I am not at all that certain, the current version of the CPC is actually interested in pushing working class interests substantially, more than fighting culture wars on such, to push corporate interests.

A good example is how a lot of their housing policies have been trial ballooned. Lots of talk about tearing down gatekeepers who stop housing being built. And then they caveat it by city size, exclude suburbs, etc.

I can see something like they crack down a tad on student immigration and then quietly ramp up TFWs at the same time. Do you honestly imagine a scenario where the CPC will allow a labour shortage to the point that every fast food employee is getting $25/hr?
I'd say the Cons are trying to emulate the GOP's inroads into working class voters.

PP's housing policies just seem to be the standard fingerpointing from federal and provincial politicians: "this is all the municipalities fault". of course it is a misrepresentation but it hasn't stopped any of them.

There's a balancing act between business and voters who will see their wages rise. Let's see where they land on it.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 5:33 PM

Quote:
I am not sure they would be particularly bothered by fast food workers making more. I could certainly see a liberal walking into a trap in a debate on that subject.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I am not sure they would be particularly bothered by fast food workers making more.
Once you're in government though it becomes your concern. When businesses start screaming about labour shortage killing profits, and banks start screaming about wage price spiral, I expect a CPC government will find their own way to bring in the bodies that their business backers want.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 5:44 PM

Quote:
I'd say the Cons are trying to emulate the GOP's inroads into working class voters.
I agree. Which is why I think a lot of it is insincere. Other than mild immigration cuts, the GOP hasn't actually done much for the working class in the US. But they do play the game really well.

Our CPC it's not really today's GOP though. Still more business interests aligned. But they are learning how useful the GOP's rhetoric is.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Once you're in government though it becomes your concern. When businesses start screaming about labour shortage killing profits, and banks start screaming about wage price spiral, I expect a CPC government will find their own way to bring in the bodies that their business backers want.
Maybe, but these companies operate all over the world. McDonald’s in Australia pays over C$20 per hour.

https://au.indeed.com/cmp/McDonald's/salaries

Also, fast food companies have a number of tools at their disposal in the face of a labour shortage, including automation, reducing hours, simplifying their menu, etc.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 5:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Not sure about yours, but my "Asian" family lineage is a bit closer than just distant people in the family tree.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 5:52 PM

Quote:
You're probably right, but OTOH the Harper CPC did end up cutting TFW numbers substantially after receiving criticism from the opposition. The JT LPC seems completely averse to making any policy changes on this portfolio.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Then they offer an automation tax credit to those businesses. I was watching this video from a Royal Caribbean cruise ship, this kind of tech is only getting faster and cheaper:

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada