HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 12:27 PM

Has anyone heard if Cargo Airlines have changed their mind on coming to Moncton? It seems like YQM was on their schedule but there's nothing showing for June. I'm assuming the freight has been diverted somewhere else? Has that frozen warehouse opened yet next to the passenger terminal?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 12:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The refrigerated trans shipment facility is still under construction I believe.

I'm pretty sure the Cargo Airlines 747 is seasonal (during the lobster seasons), but I stand to be corrected.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 1:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Speaking of cargo services at the GMIA:

KF AEROSPACE ANNOUNCES NEW DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL CARGO SERVICE
May 27, 2015 ...Kelowna, BC – KF Aerospace announced today new route structures and a number of key strategic partners as it re-enters the Domestic and International air cargo services.

“For nearly 40 years we have been Canada’s largest cargo operator and have provided over 99% reliability to Purolator and Canada Post overnight courier customers,” stated Barry Lapointe, Founder and CEO of KF Aerospace. “We look forward to providing the same level of regularly scheduled service to Canadian companies reaching into Europe, USA, Asia and points beyond”.

Based out of Toronto’s Pearson International Airport, the air cargo services will begin May 30, 2015. The Toronto location gives KF Aerospace the opportunity to reach nearly anywhere in the world via interline arrangements.

“As a hub airport, Toronto Pearson creates connectivity, attracting business from around the world, accommodating the growing needs of local communities, and driving trade and foreign direct investment,” said Howard Eng, President and CEO, Greater Toronto Airports Authority. “The introduction of KF Cargo complements our international cargo capacity to offer more opportunities for businesses in North America.”

The focal point of the YYZ hub, will be the ultra-modern and highly specialized GTA World Cargo facility. According to Gary Ogden, Vice-President of GTA, “This facility is a game-changing shift in the Canadian Cargo market. We are proud and pleased to be able to offer our specialized
facilities for ‘Pharma’, VAL’s VUN’s and PER’s to KF Cargo”.

Initial KF Aerospace routes will include four times a week service between Toronto and Europe via Brussels [with a stop in Greater Moncton](DC10-30F), and daily service between Toronto and Atlantic Canada via Greater Moncton International Airport (B727-200). The network will expand within two months to include Western Canada via Vancouver and Calgary, and all of Asia via Anchorage, Alaska.

Personal note - this sounds like a big catch for the GMIA, another daily direct cargo route to Europe (Brussels) and twice daily service (most days) to Toronto Pearson.

Quote:
“Together the Greater Moncton International Airport and Midland Transport Limited provide KF
Aerospace with a well-positioned cargo hub into Atlantic Canada with access to a large eastern
North American catchment via an established transportation network,” stated Bryan
Akerstream, Director of Business Development with KF Aerospace.

"The partnership we have developed in the past months with KF Aerospace and Midland
Transport Limited is a good indication on this region’s prosperity as the Air Cargo hub for New
Brunswick. Our 10,000 foot runway and cargo facilities are the catalyst to drive the air cargo
component. Being a trans-shipment airport for cargo represents a great opportunity for
exporters from the region to access European and Asian markets, mainly for time sensitive
goods; as well as positions us for the importation of products in relation to the upcoming
European Free Trade agreement. ", says Bernard LeBlanc, President and CEO of the Greater
Moncton International Airport Authority.

“The arrival of KF Aerospace’s air freight service is a huge benefit for Atlantic Canadian
companies. It is a service that has long been needed for those looking to grow and export into
new markets,” said Shane Esson, Senior Vice-President and General Manager, Midland
Transport Limited. “Adding daily cargo flights out of Greater Moncton International Airport will
be a huge benefit to our seafood customers as well as many other exporters.”

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jun 3, 2015 at 2:11 PM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 12:25 PM

That a good addition to have DC-10, Boeing 747, Boeing 757, Boeing 737 and Boeing 727 Cargo servive out of THE GMIA is cool. I have sent numerous emails to American Airlines/ US Airways to start a Moncton service to Philadelphia and or even to New York and that would let us connect in the American Airlines system in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Speaking of cargo services at the GMIA:

KF AEROSPACE ANNOUNCES NEW DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL CARGO SERVICE
May 27, 2015 ...Kelowna, BC – KF Aerospace announced today new route structures and a number of key strategic partners as it re-enters the Domestic and International air cargo services.

“For nearly 40 years we have been Canada’s largest cargo operator and have provided over 99% reliability to Purolator and Canada Post overnight courier customers,” stated Barry Lapointe, Founder and CEO of KF Aerospace. “We look forward to providing the same level of regularly scheduled service to Canadian companies reaching into Europe, USA, Asia and points beyond”.

Based out of Toronto’s Pearson International Airport, the air cargo services will begin May 30, 2015. The Toronto location gives KF Aerospace the opportunity to reach nearly anywhere in the world via interline arrangements.

“As a hub airport, Toronto Pearson creates connectivity, attracting business from around the world, accommodating the growing needs of local communities, and driving trade and foreign direct investment,” said Howard Eng, President and CEO, Greater Toronto Airports Authority. “The introduction of KF Cargo complements our international cargo capacity to offer more opportunities for businesses in North America.”

The focal point of the YYZ hub, will be the ultra-modern and highly specialized GTA World Cargo facility. According to Gary Ogden, Vice-President of GTA, “This facility is a game-changing shift in the Canadian Cargo market. We are proud and pleased to be able to offer our specialized
facilities for ‘Pharma’, VAL’s VUN’s and PER’s to KF Cargo”.

Initial KF Aerospace routes will include four times a week service between Toronto and Europe via Brussels [with a stop in Greater Moncton](DC10-30F), and daily service between Toronto and Atlantic Canada via Greater Moncton International Airport (B727-200). The network will expand within two months to include Western Canada via Vancouver and Calgary, and all of Asia via Anchorage, Alaska.

Personal note - this sounds like a big catch for the GMIA, another daily direct cargo route to Europe (Brussels) and twice daily service (most days) to Toronto Pearson.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
That a good addition to have DC-10, Boeing 747, Boeing 757, Boeing 737 and Boeing 727 Cargo servive out of THE GMIA is cool. I have sent numerous emails to American Airlines/ US Airways to start a Moncton service to Philadelphia and or even to New York and that would let us connect in the American Airlines system in the US.
We do need a US airline coming to Moncton. Bringing ''preferably'' a link to any of the 3 NYC airports (Newark, LaGuardia or JFK) and from there practically anywhere in the world.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
We do need a US airline coming to Moncton. Bringing ''preferably'' a link to any of the 3 NYC airports (Newark, LaGuardia or JFK) and from there practically anywhere in the world.

I have been through Philadelphia International airport when I fly to Myrtle Beach from Bangor and you can virtually connect to anywhere in the world though American Airlines system in the US. But who knows IF I would be the provincial government I would subsidize the route to encourage economic development for the province and region.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
I have been through Philadelphia International airport when I fly to Myrtle Beach from Bangor and you can virtually connect to anywhere in the world though American Airlines system in the US. But who knows IF I would be the provincial government I would subsidize the route to encourage economic development for the province and region.
I think that a connection to the finance capital of the world would be ideal for our region, it's a no brainer.
In any event, any US airline to any US destination would be welcomed.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Jun 4, 2015 at 2:56 PM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 2:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Look at the bright side, if you're a lobster you can fly direct to Brussels, Liege or Keflavik from Moncton.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 5:16 PM

Quote:
I think that a connection to the finance capital of the world would be ideal for our region, it's a no brainer.
In any event, any US airline to any US destination would be welcomed.
United just left......I’d think if a YQM-EWR flight was financially viable for them.....they’d still be here.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 1:00 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
But Halifax, Montreal, Toronto, and Ottawa already have direct flights to Heathrow.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 3:51 PM

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghYHZ View Post
United just left......I’d think if a YQM-EWR flight was financially viable for them.....they’d still be here.
Given that the load factors were poor (pointed out on this forum) on the flight from Moncton to Newark, I say our chances are slim to nil. We didn't support it so we will not be seeing any connection to the U.S. for some time.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybrae View Post
Given that the load factors were poor (pointed out on this forum) on the flight from Moncton to Newark, I say our chances are slim to nil. We didn't support it so we will not be seeing any connection to the U.S. for some time.
Im curious as to why the consensus in this forum is that the load factors were poor on this route? Are there any numbers to support this claim? I have used that service at different points over the course of its existence and it was always near full with only a few seats empty. At one point during the winter months there were 2 flights a day using Q400s with seating for 70+.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 4:04 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Curious as well. I was under the impression that the Moncton-Newark route had as much to do with the merger and the airline consolidating routes as it did with passenger numbers.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 6:31 PM

This is not direct information from United but a discussion on CBC radio with a small business owner who used the flight quite often.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada...ID/2465136631/

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 6:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Curious as well. I was under the impression that the Moncton-Newark route had as much to do with the merger and the airline consolidating routes as it did with passenger numbers.
I have no direct experience since I never took this flight out of YQM, but I was also under the impression that load factors were not that bad. In fact, at times (especially around Christmas), they increased the flight frequency to twice daily in order to accomodate demand.

I think the reason we lost the flight is because of reorganization surrounding the merger that occurred at that time. We were not the only second tier Canadian city to lose US connections at that time. I think they just decided to regroup around a small number (six or so) Canadian entry cities and Moncton was not one of them.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WharfRat View Post
This is not direct information from United but a discussion on CBC radio with a small business owner who used the flight quite often.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada...ID/2465136631/
I have no direct knowledge either. All I can go by is what was in this CBC article.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...sses-1.2676761

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 7:36 PM

Westjet Encora Moncton

starting July 15 Westjet will be starting a direct 6pm flight from Moncton to Ottawa. They will be using there new Bombardier Q400 NextGen turboprop aircraft.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 2:22 PM

Stephenville's tourist season traffic is picking up, with a little help from fog across Newfoundland today. On my way to work this morning I noticed an Air Canada flight off loading passengers so, since AC hasn't had scheduled service here since 2002, I assume Deer Lake was fogged in.

Porter's first flight of the summer came in over the weekend and Sunwing opened it's season yesterday. We're still hoping Porter grows into a year round daily service.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 2:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's a picture of the Kelowna Flightcraft DC-10 being used on the (4x weekly) flight between GMIA and Brussels. It apparently leaves the GMIA about 0300hrs, so good luck to all the plane spotters out there.

Flightaware.com photo

Also, here's a photo of the new airside refrigerated storage facility off of Aviation Blvd at the GMIA (you can see the passenger terminal in the distant background).

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jul 12, 2015 at 2:37 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces