HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 7:40 PM

UNB is getting a new $36 million Centre for Healthy Living research centre. Will be located adjacent to the Currie Centre

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=1120759

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...ntre-1.3750325

Last edited by Freddypop; Sep 7, 2016 at 12:12 AM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 12:18 PM

They repeated "mid September" on CBC radio this morning. CBC also ran the interview from August when they said "labour day week".

Hopefully the new estimate is accurate. Was also said they're doing night shifts again.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 3:13 PM

The city's web site finally got redesigned: http://www.fredericton.ca/en

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 5:15 PM

This month's PAC agenda has a proposal for the corner of King and Northumberland and it's great: A three storey mixed use building with underground parking, ground floor retail (Home Hardware), and 16 apartments. Only downside is a lot of surface parking but that's to be expected for this type of business.

http://www.fredericton.ca/sites/defa...enda-pac_1.pdf

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
This month's PAC agenda has a proposal for the corner of King and Northumberland and it's great: A three storey mixed use building with underground parking, ground floor retail (Home Hardware), and 16 apartments. Only downside is a lot of surface parking but that's to be expected for this type of business.

http://www.fredericton.ca/sites/defa...enda-pac_1.pdf
Some nice things in there.

The old grocery store on Main street is being turned into a child care centre (that's moving from the back corner of the minimall). I'd rather the whole building be replaced, but at least something is becoming of the old store.

The Home Hardware building with apartments looks really nice; especially with the underground parking. Since it is a retail store, the parking is to be expected, and doesn't seem too bad; it's basically the existing parking foot print.

Reading between the lines, it seems like they'll be abandoning their existing store, but probably keeping the lumberyard? Or maybe the existing store will just be left for building supplies and this will be more for general Home stuff. I know the existing place feels really crowded when you go in, so more space will be good.

Seems late in the process for Princess Auto to be asking for a sign size variant; but it is probably just a rubber stamp at this point.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 11:41 AM

Rode on a brand new bus this morning, and talked to the driver. Freddy Transit has 2 new buses online now, with another 5 coming soon.

They are retiring all of the high floor buses, along with the low-floors that don't have wheelchair ramps, meaning that soon the entire fleet will be wheelchair accessible.

No sign of a new schedule yet; still waiting for the bridge to be finished.

Speaking of the bridge; it sounds like all the concrete pours are finished. They're waiting for the concrete to cure and finishing up all the rest of the details. Mid-September (weather permitting) is the target; which probably means in the next two weeks.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 12:41 PM

[QUOTE=Taeolas;7554395]Rode on a brand new bus this morning, and talked to the driver. Freddy Transit has 2 new buses online now, with another 5 coming soon.

I was at Tims and I over heard some bus drivers talking about how they wish they had those enclosures to separate themselves from the passengers. I guess they have a lot of people bugging them. :p

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkies View Post
I was at Tims and I over heard some bus drivers talking about how they wish they had those enclosures to separate themselves from the passengers. I guess they have a lot of people bugging them. :p
Probably depends on the driver; some seem to love interacting with the passengers; especially regulars on the routes.

Others prefer to focus on the driving and not say a word to the PAX.

It's a moot point anyway, the new buses are the same as the current ones, so there's no real room for enclosures.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Probably depends on the driver; some seem to love interacting with the passengers; especially regulars on the routes.

Others prefer to focus on the driving and not say a word to the PAX.

It's a moot point anyway, the new buses are the same as the current ones, so there's no real room for enclosures.
Haha You know im just joking right.
Have a great day Tally

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 1:51 PM

Heh, it's not as much of a joke as you might expect. Many buses (just not the ones Freddy Transit uses) do separate the driver from the PAX. And I'm sure some drivers would prefer not to be chatting with the passengers more than they have to. So future buses might separate them. Just not the ones we're getting now.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Heh, it's not as much of a joke as you might expect. Many buses (just not the ones Freddy Transit uses) do separate the driver from the PAX. And I'm sure some drivers would prefer not to be chatting with the passengers more than they have to. So future buses might separate them. Just not the ones we're getting now.
I think its more of a safety issue then an anti-social issue.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 8:29 PM

I'm not sure about that King/Northumberland proposal. It's a great spot and I'm sure the development will be quite nice, but the inclusion of surface parking is a bad feature. A small back-alley would be fine, but this maintains the large parking behind the building.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 8:43 PM

The new website is absolutely terrible. The inviting links on the front page just bring you to search results for the exact text of the link.

Let's say you're an involved citizen who wants to fill out the Imagine Fredericton survey.

You click on the arrow and select "How do I do the Imagine Fredericton survey?"

All it brings up is a list of search results. Thanks guys, I could have done that myself.

The first result, supposedly a link to information about the survey, redirects to the City Hall page

The second result, supposedly a link to information about the survey, redirects to the City Hall page

The third result finally shows information on the survey. Done, right? Nope, there's no link or instructions to the actual survey.

In what way is this even a little better than before?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
The new website is absolutely terrible. The inviting links on the front page just bring you to search results for the exact text of the link.

Let's say you're an involved citizen who wants to fill out the Imagine Fredericton survey.

You click on the arrow and select "How do I do the Imagine Fredericton survey?"

All it brings up is a list of search results. Thanks guys, I could have done that myself.

The first result, supposedly a link to information about the survey, redirects to the City Hall page

The second result, supposedly a link to information about the survey, redirects to the City Hall page

The third result finally shows information on the survey. Done, right? Nope, there's no link or instructions to the actual survey.

In what way is this even a little better than before?
I agree! Whoever came up with this page layout has no idea what they are doing. Furthermore whoever made the decision to publicly release this should have their decision capabilities questioned. By far the worst site I have come across in years! Several steps back from what it replaced.

Last edited by Freddypop; Sep 9, 2016 at 6:50 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
I'm not sure about that King/Northumberland proposal. It's a great spot and I'm sure the development will be quite nice, but the inclusion of surface parking is a bad feature. A small back-alley would be fine, but this maintains the large parking behind the building.
I agree to some extent but realistically a business like Home Hardware needs surface parking. They're still increasing the footprint of the building and removing some parking and adding height so it's still a big improvement to what was there.

I wonder how this impacts the plans for the current Home Hardware property that went before the PAC a few months ago.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 7:13 PM

Noticed that work on the gas bar/convenience store/drive-thru at Cliffe and 2NC is well underway

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Noticed that work on the gas bar/convenience store/drive-thru at Cliffe and 2NC is well underway
Is that near the round about?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkies View Post
Is that near the round about?
Yes....Foundation has been poured

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 3:21 PM

Article regarding the former Liquidation World on St Mary's Street. Now the new home to Damocles Fencing Club

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...lity-1.3757383

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 6:04 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Article regarding the former Liquidation World on St Mary's Street. Now the new home to Damocles Fencing Club

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...lity-1.3757383

Yup I have known that for a while I just could not say anything as I am a member.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces