September 6 by R C, on Flickr

September 6 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

Lots of dogberries this year - means a harsh winter ahead. But, aren't they all? lol

Then I met up with a friend and we walked from her place in the suburbs down to Water Street (our main downtown drag) for breakfast.

Crossing into the downtown.

Cresting the final hill heading down into the main business area of downtown.

From there it was a short climb uphill and a long slide down the socioeconomic ladder to my neighbourhood.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Sep 6, 2020 at 9:15 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 12:36 AM

Montreal has a European capital vibe on this picture.

Last edited by davidivivid; Sep 9, 2020 at 4:32 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 1:10 AM
The New Republic

Colonial architecture is great to have but I wouldn't want our cities to look like that from one end to the other. It's Montreal's North American qualities that make it a step up from what exists in Europe. The 1900-1940s skyscrapers, modern towers, and even the North American take on row housing (New York brownstones, Toronto Vics, Montreal row housing) I much prefer to what I left behind on the other side of the pond. Colonial old sections in Montreal, Halifax, Philly, NYC, Boston, etc are a nice nod to our past but it's Montreal's North Americanness that makes it great.

Saying Montreal is beautiful not because of how Canadian it is, but because of how European it is? Canadians sell their own culture short when they don't have an appreciation for what they built themselves. I remember a UK sportscaster gushing over Montreal during Formula One by saying its great because its the most European city in Canada/US...... completely oblivious to how arrogant and insulting that was. Can you imagine going over to London and saying it's beautiful because it's the most North American city in Europe?

I wish Canadians (and Americans) stopped shitting on themselves. European = Great; North American = Bad.

Last edited by isaidso; Sep 9, 2020 at 1:27 AM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 1:33 AM
ARTchitecture

You just explained the root of the root of all anti-Western Canadian city sentiment (trolling) on this forum, along with how ridiculous it is. Bravo

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Colonial architecture is great to have but I wouldn't want our cities to look like that from one end to the other. It's Montreal's North American qualities that make it a step up from what exists in Europe. The 1900-1940s skyscrapers, modern towers, and even the North American take on row housing (New York brownstones, Toronto Vics, Montreal row housing) I much prefer to what I left behind on the other side of the pond. Colonial old sections in Montreal, Halifax, Philly, NYC, Boston, etc are a nice nod to our past but it's Montreal's North Americanness that makes it great.

Saying Montreal is beautiful not because of how Canadian it is, but because of how European it is? Canadians sell their own culture short when they don't have an appreciation for what they built themselves. I remember a UK sportscaster gushing over Montreal during Formula One by saying its great because its the most European city in Canada/US...... completely oblivious to how arrogant and insulting that was. Can you imagine going over to London and saying it's beautiful because it's the most North American city in Europe?

I wish Canadians (and Americans) stopped shitting on themselves. European = Great; North American = Bad.
Where did that came from ???

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
You just explained the root of the root of all anti-Western Canadian city sentiment (trolling) on this forum, along with how ridiculous it is. Bravo
This forum is obviously going to value a certain type of urbanity. That isn't trolling.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 2:45 AM

Quote:

Canadians tend to have an utilitarian/cheap mindset when architecture is concerned, and the result is that architecturally, Canadian cities tend to suck compared to their American and European peers.

It was an eye-opening experience to get laughed at recently (on an urban affairs forum, no less) for having suggested that efforts should be made to make "Main Street" Canadian buildings look less ugly.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 3:23 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Canadians tend to have an utilitarian/cheap mindset when architecture is concerned, and the result is that architecturally, Canadian cities tend to suck compared to their American and European peers.
I really noticed this following municipal politics (in Halifax, years ago; I now don't follow it so much). It was very common for property owners to argue that such and such an approach had to be taken because it was cheapest ("most economical"), or for councillors to be ready to accept that heritage buildings were somehow outdated and so it was normal for them to fall apart and eventually become unsafe and need to be torn down. It's very odd but in early 2000's Halifax many developers and property owners promoted the idea that there was a lifespan to buildings and that after some period it was natural to tear them down (the 270 year old church in the middle of town didn't get the memo I guess). Many small towns in NS are even worse and some are just a shadow of what they used to look like, having lost most of their major downtown buildings.

I think there was a bit of a generational aspect to it with many of the older Baby Boomer type councillors being very utilitarian in approach and focusing more on aspects like density and parking while the younger people tended to have more of an "urbanist" perspective. I am not really sure why this is. A lot of people used to say that Millennials would grow up and all turn into Baby Boomers but that is not what happened. I think sensibilities are changing now. Some of it relates to cities growing in size but I think that's only a small part.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 3:27 AM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
This forum is obviously going to value a certain type of urbanity. That isn't trolling.
Maybe, but feigning ignorance of the existence of other common types of North American urbanity is, at best, silly and, at worst, trolling.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 8:19 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:

I’m surprised this sentiment isn’t expressed more often on a skyscraper forum. I mostly disagree due to my personal preference for old town cores, and fondness for skyscraper areas just outside them (if all modern buildings in St. John’s were around Quidi Vidi Lake, directly adjacent to the current downtown but not actually in it, I would objectively think this is one of the best small cities in the world lol).

But I would expect far more people here to have your view, that the mix is what makes Montreal so great.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 1:57 PM

I disagree that Canada's cities are more ugly than the US's. Many US suburbs are just endless strip malls, fast food restaurants and McMansions. Heck, like 90% of the Sun Belt is pretty much just that.

While we certainly have a lot of that I don't think it's to the same quantity as south of the border. Even for new construction, most of what is being developed down there in my experience has been of the same quality, if not lower, than what is done in Canada.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 3:43 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:

I agree that a lot of it comes from the colonial mindset which is natural when for most of our history Europe was considered "civilization" and the goal was to "civilize" the rest of the planet. But I think some of it also is simply the rareness element. Buildings in styles common in those eras are generally not being built anymore and there is a much smaller legacy supply of them compared to contemporary buildings since our cities were smaller back then and many buildings have been lost over the years. As a result, many people fetishize historic buildings, even those with styles that weren't common in Europe. The pre-1940s era skyscrapers you mentioned is a great example. I've seen many skyscraper enthusiasts basically measure a skyline's worth by the presence or lack of such towers which makes perfect sense in terms of the rareness since few cities have many legacy examples and styles such as deco and neo-gothic are rarely used anymore.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 10:20 PM

Charlottetown from this past week:

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
Gorgeous photos as always. I was wondering what these two prominent buildings are, though?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 4:41 PM

The one on the left is the Trafalgar, a luxurious appartement buildings, build in 1930-31 by Hutchison and Wood architects.

The one on the right is the Gleneagles, also an appartement buildings. It was build in 1929-30 by architects Ross and Macdonald (who notably did the Royal York in Toronto, the Chateau Laurier in Ottawa, the Hotel Fort Garry in Winnipeg, and many more).

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 4:53 PM

^ Thank you! Very impressive looking apartment buildings.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 6:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

another first rate Montreal set

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 8:10 PM
Look at me!

The Gleneagles and the Trafalgar are my favourite apartment buildings in the country. They create unique landscapes.

20160314_144614 by Rommheim, on Flickr

20160314_144917 by Rommheim, on Flickr

20160314_144634
by Rommheim, on Flickr

Last edited by Rico Rommheim; Sep 16, 2020 at 8:22 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada