HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Today, 12:55 PM

Quote:
As for St. Bernard Place, this lies outside the area covered by the development plan. I am not surprised it wasn't depicted.
Right. The same thing with the Heritage parking lot then. I do see the Rogers building eventually being replaced; it's just too good of a location. And that Robinson Street parking lot, though challenging, is a real eyesore that needs to be developed. Fortunately, the city now owns it and really wants it off their plate and in the hands of a credible developer.

Old Posted Today, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Also posted in the main [Moncton] thread.

So, as part of the rezoning process for the Gateway Towers, they have decided to update the Downtown Moncton Core Community Improvement Plan to include the Three Sisters and Gateway Towers developments.

I decided to screen capture several of the key images for discussion.

Overview:

- You can see the Three Sisters and the Gateway Towers added in on the bottom left of the image.
- Other buildings have been added in on the ocean of surface parking (all fanciful), but, you can see the completed Downing Street, including the proposed roundabout at it's intersection with Assumption. You can also see the completed Ashford Development, including the city market/convention space (strategically adjacent to the Delta Beausejour), as well as the "signature tower" on the NW corner of the roundabout (height TBD). The new east west street south of Main lies between these two components of the Ashford project.

Master Plan Legend:

- The numbers on the legend correspond to proposals (no doubt some fanciful) within the development area.
- The most intriguing one to me is #11 "new academic facility", which will be located behind the courthouse. How certain is this? What type of "academic facility" will this be? UNB recently mentioned in the media about having an enhanced presence in Moncton. Could this be a small downtown campus for UNBM? Or, could it be something more boring, such as a relocated UdeM law faculty (given it's location next to the law courts). Enquiring minds most certainly want to know.
- #6 is a "future civic project." This is located on the little parking lot behind Blue Cross. Could this be a new downtown library? Another possibility could be a modern art museum (as previously hinted at). This is an important lot right on Downing Street, so, an important civic building seems reasonable.

Public Space Network:

- This image shows all the parkland, and the mixed use corridors planned in the development area. Of note, the NB Power lot next to the Gateway Towers appears to be designated as greenspace, but, this is privately held land, and, could be purchased for development instead. How set in stone is the plan to have this reserved for greenspace? Could another couple of towers be built here to complement the Gateway Towers? Anything built here would not impact on the riverfront trail system.
- Also, #7 (the small bit of land to the south of the Third Sister) has been designated as a "stormwater detention area." It would appear that development here will not be possible.
- Interesting that #9 is called "Ashford Plaza." The two hypothetical mixed use building immediately to the east of Ashford Plaza are on Ashford owned lands. Hmmmm.
- Otherwise, the plan seems very pedestrian minded, with lots of interconnectivity between all the public spaces, some using mixed use corridors. You can also see all the connection point to the Riverfront Park from the downtown core, one of which extends between the two Gateway towers.

Street Network:

- Pretty self explanatory. It will be very nice to see an actual street gid reestablished south of Main Street. There appears to be an emphasis for on street parking. This is not just a business friendly decision. On street parking by it's very nature is a bit of a traffic calming technique.

Thoughts anyone???

I'm looking forward to hear some news on building 5, 3A (old RCMP) and 3C buildings, I'm guessing we won't hear anything until the end of 2025 or early 2026. I was also thinking the same thing for Building 11, potential UNB expansion, i wonder if they would add a dormitory near the rogers call center.

One of the buildings in area 17(master legend) looks significant, 15+ storeys.

Last edited by MonctonGoldenTri; Today at 6:04 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces