HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:22 PM

IIRC, The money thrown into it, could have built another barn brand new. Or could have expanded Willie O'Ree with another surface with seating or something like that. (or at least it would've been a big chunk towards either of those).

I thought I heard there was also Asbestos problems with the reno as well; but my google-fu is failing me, so I'm probably wrong.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
IIRC, The money thrown into it, could have built another barn brand new. Or could have expanded Willie O'Ree with another surface with seating or something like that. (or at least it would've been a big chunk towards either of those).

I thought I heard there was also Asbestos problems with the reno as well; but my google-fu is failing me, so I'm probably wrong.
The budget for the reno was only $3M though? Not nearly enough to do anything to the Willie or build a new one.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 9:00 PM

I found a cool picture of the Westmorland Bridge when it first opened. It's interesting to see that Pointe Sainte-Anne used to loop around to York Street, most likely because the Carleton Street Bridge was still there, and there was no Smythe Street ramp. Then the northside ramp was added in 2008.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
The budget for the reno was only $3M though? Not nearly enough to do anything to the Willie or build a new one.
And if it's going to run a year longer than planned, what it's *really* going to cost in the end?

This was ultimately about city politicians making the wrong decision because they caved to local complaining. Now we're going to pay for it.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 1:20 PM

^ That's a great pic. Interesting that not a whole lot has changed in that part of downtown since.

Cross-posted from the airport thread, here are renderings of the proposed YFC terminal expansion:

Source: Fredericton Airport Website http://www.frederictonairport.ca/growing-pains/[/QUOTE]

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
^ That's a great pic. Interesting that not a whole lot has changed in that part of downtown since.
To be fair, a lot has changed in Downtown since then; but most of it isn't visible in that particular shot. Most of the changes happened almost literally all around the edges of it. (Westpointe, Convention Centre and so forth).

Still, the near future has some major changes in the works for taht area, with the Downtown plans and the possible new Playhouse plopping down in there.

As for the Airport, the expansion looks good, but the renderings don't really show all that much different. Are they going to expand out into the apron area to get more seating or what?

In any case, I'll trust that they have their capacity numbers right, and hope they can secure the funding they need. 30M$ honestly seems pretty cheap to bump from 200k to 500k PAX capacity (A target they are anticipating to reach by 2030 apparently).

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 2:53 PM

Speaking of the airport, the last time I was out there, there was a lot of construction at that intersection. Was it a replacement of something or are they upgrading the intersection? (Hopefully a roundabout)

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 3:48 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj6286 View Post
Speaking of the airport, the last time I was out there, there was a lot of construction at that intersection. Was it a replacement of something or are they upgrading the intersection? (Hopefully a roundabout)

When leaving the airport that is kind of a mess. I agree one would look pretty good there

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj6286 View Post
No roundabout, just upgraded the intersection with curbs and lights.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:
As for the Airport, the expansion looks good, but the renderings don't really show all that much different. Are they going to expand out into the apron area to get more seating or what?
Yes...Expanding apron-side to allow for the expanded seating/gate capacity

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 4:24 AM
New Brunswick booster!

I just got to realizing that Fredericton (Hilton), Saint John (Irving headquarters) and Moncton (Arena) all have major downtown projects being built! Pretty sweet.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
I just got to realizing that Fredericton (Hilton), Saint John (Irving headquarters) and Moncton (Arena) all have major downtown projects being built! Pretty sweet.
And Royale T Suites! Don't forget it!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
And Royale T Suites! Don't forget it!
What an awful name.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 8:25 PM

Regent St. Overpass

Considering they were hoping to be done the Regent St. overpass by labour day, I'd say they really missed their mark. Lots still to be done.

This pic was from September 2nd, 2016

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 9:47 PM

And considering that they were saying that they would start working at night if they were running late I would say they really missed their mark. I would say they are still more than a month out.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 2:32 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3nZ View Post
And considering that they were saying that they would start working at night if they were running late I would say they really missed their mark. I would say they are still more than a month out.
My sources tell me they are very far behind and looking at Thanksgiving now

I still get the same answer from my source. I don't know why they aren't telling the truth.

Last edited by Blue Blazer; Sep 15, 2016 at 3:22 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 2:50 PM

The city crews are basically done with the intersection and the stretch to Wayne Squibb Blvd though. They might open it up to two lanes in each direction well before the overpass is up.

FHS is in session for all students on Wednesday, get ready for an interesting time at the roundabout each morn.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
My sources tell me they are very far behind and looking at Thanksgiving now
IIRC they said 2 weeks behind schedule, which put them around Sept 15.

Going to Thanksgiving will put them about 5-6 weeks behind. By the looks of the pics above, I could see that. They might actually just be 4 weeks (End of Sept) behind; but are budgetting more time to be able to finish early if possible). The Scotty factor basically.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 7:33 AM

There's a floor plan of the proposed expansion in the background of this image. Definitely looks like they will expand onto the apron side.

Source: Fredericton Airport Twitter Feed

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 12:32 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
IIRC they said 2 weeks behind schedule, which put them around Sept 15.

Going to Thanksgiving will put them about 5-6 weeks behind. By the looks of the pics above, I could see that. They might actually just be 4 weeks (End of Sept) behind; but are budgetting more time to be able to finish early if possible). The Scotty factor basically.
I know, I told my buddy Oct 1st was my guess. Its almost like a betting game
Should have taken bets at the beginning of the project

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces